The Road to TNA Victory Road VIII Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='neocisco']So you won't get it because it's on your computer screen instead of your TV screen?[/QUOTE]Yep, that's right. My HDTV doesn't overheat just when I get comfortable. My laptop, on the other hand, can't be used as a laptop or it will eventually overheat and shut itself off. That means stretching out on the couch or on my bed, the ways I prefer to watch TV or a 3 hour wrestling event, are out of the question. Sure, I can have it on a desk or table (which I do right now), but this is not a comfortable way to watch something that long.

The ROH PPV's can be viewed "on demand" once you've purchased it. If you can only watch it in, say, 1 hour increments then that could be an option for you.

[quote name='mitch079']Why is it whenever there's dissension in wrestling threads, not just here, I picture Napoleon and Kip slap fighting?[/QUOTE]

Hey man.

Hey.

C'mon man.

Dude, seriously.

Wrestling, bro.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Yep, that's right. My HDTV doesn't overheat just when I get comfortable. My laptop, on the other hand, can't be used as a laptop or it will eventually overheat and shut itself off. That means stretching out on the couch or on my bed, the ways I prefer to watch TV or a 3 hour wrestling event, are out of the question. Sure, I can have it on a desk or table (which I do right now), but this is not a comfortable way to watch something that long.[/QUOTE]

Or you could get an Roku which has an channel for GoFightLive whom carries the iPPV. Or an Google TV device which will allow you to access GFL.TV and watch it. Or if you have one of those fancy PS3 systems...

http://www.ehow.com/how_5087887_install-flash-player-ps-browser.html

Get Flash installed on that browser which will let you watch it.

There's plenty of ways to watch the iPPV on your HDTV. Just gotta think outside of the box a bit but trust me it can be done. :D

I've never watched them wrestle a match and I am somehow completely sold on them between this and the "cosmetically pleasing" promo.

In another note, Impact scored its lowest rating ever 0.993.

[quote name='diddy310']In another note, Impact scored its lowest rating ever 0.993.[/QUOTE]

TNA did worse during the failed Monday nights run. In fact TNA hit as low as 0.50 going up against the farce known as the WWE Draft.

Has anyone streamed a WWE PPV before? I'm thinking of doing it for WrestleMania, but don't want to if their servers suck and/or my connection can't handle it.

Has TNA's programming changed all that much? Does it really seem like it's any less garbage than it has been? Even if Russo's gone, the show could stink.

EDIT: Briscoes are starting to push the believability line. That's the scary thought about picturing them in WWE - you can see a glint of cringeworthy hillbilly stupidity in their promos, and you know WWE will strip out anything genuine and threatening and legit and focus on the more "BISCUITS AND GRAAAVAAAY!" part of their characters.

Anyway. They are still amazing, though:
1) I still couldn't tell you which one is Mark and which one is Jay. They at least look discernibly different to me now.
2) They kinda buried the Young Bucks there. If they cut this promo with another company than ROH, somewhere Cornette would be running them down for not getting over their opponents or making them look like a threat.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Has TNA's programming changed all that much? Does it really seem like it's any less garbage than it has been? Even if Russo's gone, the show could stink.

EDIT: Briscoes are starting to push the believability line. That's the scary thought about picturing them in WWE - you can see a glint of cringeworthy hillbilly stupidity in their promos, and you know WWE will strip out anything genuine and threatening and legit and focus on the more "BISCUITS AND GRAAAVAAAY!" part of their characters.

Anyway. They are still amazing, though:
1) I still couldn't tell you which one is Mark and which one is Jay. They at least look discernibly different to me now.
2) They kinda buried the Young Bucks there. If they cut this promo with another company than ROH, somewhere Cornette would be running them down for not getting over their opponents or making them look like a threat.[/QUOTE]

This is your answer from Cornette (It's in the shit-eatting grin):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECS...xt=C316d934UDOEgsToPDskLTadkQv2U5J5E6d3sgcMMH

The one brother is an awesome unintentional straight man. It really gives their promos a distinctive flair that is lacking in any other promotion.

[quote name='Demolition Man']TNA did worse during the failed Monday nights run. In fact TNA hit as low as 0.50 going up against the farce known as the WWE Draft.[/QUOTE]

I guess the article meant on Thursdays.

[quote name='mykevermin']Has TNA's programming changed all that much? Does it really seem like it's any less garbage than it has been? Even if Russo's gone, the show could stink..[/QUOTE]

TBH this week's TNA was probably one of the better ones in recent memory. I can't stand Garrett or Hardy and neither were really given much time. Lots of other, good matches. (sadly I know how much of a draw Hardy is and that he will very quickly be back)

They seem to be focused at least - the Bischoff garbage is the only thing dragging the show down at this point.

Here's a guide to figuring out which Briscoe is which...

Mark Briscoe (aka the "dumb one")
markbriscoe2.jpg

Jay Briscoe (aka the "smart one")
Jay%20Briscoe%20New%20Tag.jpg

I'm ashamed to say I don't know any of Doug's AJPW work, but his WWF/ECW stuff was pretty solid.

In other crappy news, Wade Barrett is out 3-4 months after having surgery on his injured elbow. He was scheduled to win MITB this year at 'Mania and get a long run with the briefcase, but his injury has ruined that and is the reason MITB was pulled from the card this year.

Sadly, for as good as he and Kroffat were, I suspect even many of the wrestling thread regulars are saying "who?"

Sad news. I wish he got a fair shake in the states. A cup of coffee in ECW was far less than they deserved.

I remember Doug Furnas had a pretty good title match with RVD, but he came up short. Poor guy. Like you said, sucks he never gained any momentum in the US.

[quote name='mykevermin']Sadly, for as good as he and Kroffat were, I suspect even many of the wrestling thread regulars are saying "who?"

Sad news. I wish he got a fair shake in the states. A cup of coffee in ECW was far less than they deserved.[/QUOTE]

I can honestly say that that is the case for me, but I still have to give respect.

RIP

I've never heard of the man before today, but RIP nontheless.

Also, that really sucks about Barrett. He has potential, I see big things from him in the future if he can iron out the wrinkles he has now...

[quote name='mykevermin']Sadly, for as good as he and Kroffat were, I suspect even many of the wrestling thread regulars are saying "who?"

Sad news. I wish he got a fair shake in the states. A cup of coffee in ECW was far less than they deserved.[/QUOTE]

I remember him from WCW where I don't even think he had the chance to pour a cup of coffee. 50 is far too young.

From what I read, he retired in 2000 due to early symptoms of Alzheimer's and had recently battled Parkinson's. If the Alzheimer's bit is true, HOLY SHIT at the thought that he was 38 when he started showing symptoms bad enough to stop wrestling.

The shirt isn't old, it was released on shirt.woot less than a week ago.

Here's the link in case anyone wants to buy it btw.

It's only guaranteed to be available for 1 more week. After that, it'll only stay available depending on how well it sells. That's how shirt.woot works for those who aren't familiar.

[quote name='sykotek']The shirt isn't old, it was released on shirt.woot less than a week ago.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, but I wasn't sure if it was posted here or not.

Doug Furnas is a name I haven't heard in at least 10 years. Actually enjoyed watching him and Lafon when I was younger. I always wondered what happened to them.

Never seen RoH, though I've watched you guys talk about them for years. But your talking up this iPPV had me intrigued. Then "The Best Damn Tag Team Period" was mentioned (I had no idea they were back together, much less either of them still in wrestling). Now I need to get it. I'm in the same boat as BlueSwim with a crappy laptop. Plus, I don't much like watching anything on my laptop if I can help it. I do have an iPhone and AppleTV though. The site says I can use iOS devices, but doesn't explain how and I can't find a GFL app. Anyone have any info on how to watch on my AppleTV or to AirPlay it to my AppleTV, if necessary? Thanks. :)

Speaking of Haas and Benjamin - When the question of tag teams came up in the last thread I immediately thought of them, along with JeriShow, Big Show/Kane, Awesome Truth, London and Kendrick. It's too bad that there's not too much more that has been memorable in the past year.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Never seen RoH, though I've watched you guys talk about them for years. But your talking up this iPPV had me intrigued. Then "The Best Damn Tag Team Period" was mentioned (I had no idea they were back together, much less either of them still in wrestling). Now I need to get it. I'm in the same boat as BlueSwim with a crappy laptop. Plus, I don't much like watching anything on my laptop if I can help it. I do have an iPhone and AppleTV though. The site says I can use iOS devices, but doesn't explain how and I can't find a GFL app. Anyone have any info on how to watch on my AppleTV or to AirPlay it to my AppleTV, if necessary? Thanks. :)[/QUOTE]

IIRC doesn't your AppleTV have some kind of browser? If so then simply go to GFL.tv then create your account. Once you do then use this show to test your AppleTV to see if it works...

http://www.gfl.tv/Events/Fight/Wrestling/Impact_Zone_Wrestling_Mar_3_2012/1408

[quote name='JJSP']From what I read, he retired in 2000 due to early symptoms of Alzheimer's and had recently battled Parkinson's. If the Alzheimer's bit is true, HOLY SHIT at the thought that he was 38 when he started showing symptoms bad enough to stop wrestling.[/QUOTE]

At 38? He'd be all over the news and talk shows if it was legit Alezheimer's. CTE wasn't discovered until 2002, so it wouldn't be a consideration for Furnas in 2000. Even today there are no techniques to diagnose it in a living person due to how the brain tissue is cut and examined. But Alzheimer-like symptoms in a 38-year old? Sounds like CTE to me.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Never seen RoH, though I've watched you guys talk about them for years. But your talking up this iPPV had me intrigued. Then "The Best Damn Tag Team Period" was mentioned (I had no idea they were back together, much less either of them still in wrestling). Now I need to get it.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I'd say is don't have high expectations of production quality. ROH is sorely lacking there. You'll see the wrestling, but on a live show you'll see graphic errors and audio errors as well. Final Battle 2011 was a laugh riot in terms of the production. But, man, was the wrestling off the charts. Again, Steen/Corino was one of the best matches of 2011 - reminded me of a WWF Attitude-era PPV main event grudge match where the guys threw everything at each other, legit disliked each other, and there was something meaningful on the line.

So it won't compare to TNA or WWE in terms of aesthetics, so set your standards low there. It's totally worth it.

I may order the PPV as well, so as far as I can tell, you view it on iDevices via Safari, and not a dedicated app. I've seen shows do that - even through paywalls. It's not bad, though - you can expand the video (double-tap?) to make it full screen.

[quote name='mykevermin']The only thing I'd say is don't have high expectations of production quality. ROH is sorely lacking there. You'll see the wrestling, but on a live show you'll see graphic errors and audio errors as well. Final Battle 2011 was a laugh riot in terms of the production. But, man, was the wrestling off the charts. Again, Steen/Corino was one of the best matches of 2011 - reminded me of a WWF Attitude-era PPV main event grudge match where the guys threw everything at each other, legit disliked each other, and there was something meaningful on the line.[/QUOTE]

A good chunk of the technical problems came from it being the first live broadcast ROH has done with the newer equipment they are now using. The past year or so prior to Final Battle 2011 their iPPV quality on the technical end had been pretty solid barring any server side connection issues (which was rare). Hopefully ROH has ironed out the technical issues that happened during Final Battle 2011.

The funny part about the DVD release of Final Battle 2011 is the botched instant replays have been removed out of the show entirely. I also noticed they switched to an alternate audio source at one point during Steen/Corino when Steen was screaming at Cornette asking if he hates Russo.

90's wrestling was great in terms of all the options but just like mainstream radio, there's just people who didn't fit in. Furnas and Kroffat were big examples of that. They could have shown their talent in ECW but inevitably would be part of some Sandman/New Jack/Sabu beatdown. in WWF, they badly outclassed everyone in the tag team ranks except Owen/Bulldog who shouldn't have been in the division. In WCW, they would have been in throwaway matches because no one would have let them be on the same level as the Steiners/Outsiders.

Almost 5:00. Time to reach for the sky, boy!!

The ring setup is a little different than it usually is in the Hammerstein.

Ugh, I walked away for two minutes (knowing I bloody well shouldn't have). I came back to see Steen threaten to piss on the Chikara title. What happened before that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back