The Road Warriors' Wrestling Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The absolute best wrestling radio show out there is the Wrestling Observer Live, done on Sundays 8-10 PM. It's also a podcast, and usually has TNA wrestlers on right after their PPV matches, and has had some of wrestling's biggest names (Flair, Bret Hart, Foley, and Cena) as guests. My favorite active wrestler is Benoit, easily. Booker is a close second, and he has his King Booker trunks in SvR '07, which sort of helps him look recent in that game.

Here is my list of my favorite 10 active wrestlers as of right now after giving much thought towards who I would put on the list.

1) Samoa Joe
2) Bryan Danielson
3) Raven
4) Kurt Angle
5) Booker T
6) Ric Flair
7) William Regal
8) Christopher Daniels
9) Edge
10) Jeff Jarrett

Notable mentions: Chris Benoit, AJ Styles, Alex Shelly, Jimmy Jacobs, Kid Krazy, Fit Finlay, Gail Kim, Homicide, Sandman, Mick Foley, Nigel McGuiness, Darin Corbin.

[quote name='2Fast']As do I, but apparently THQ is EA'in it.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I wonder what a WWE game would be like by EA. Maybe it would turn out pretty well. I mean, EA did use AKI to make the Def Jam games.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Sometimes I wonder what a WWE game would be like by EA. Maybe it would turn out pretty well. I mean, EA did use AKI to make the Def Jam games.[/QUOTE]

backstageassault.jpg

Don't let EA fucking NEAR a wrestling license.

[quote name='mykevermin']
backstageassault.jpg

Don't let EA fucking NEAR a wrestling license.[/quote]

More like Backdoor Assault if you ask me.

[quote name='mykevermin']
backstageassault.jpg

Don't let EA fucking NEAR a wrestling license.[/QUOTE]

Ugh! You're right about those WCW games. "Interactive backstage environments," my ass! The backgrounds were flat and lifeless as could be. And the gameplay... yuck.

[quote name='mykevermin']*snip*

Don't let EA fucking NEAR a wrestling license.[/QUOTE]

I think they redeemed themselves with Def Jam/Def Jam: FFNY.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Without Aki, I fear EA doing a wrestling game. Oh, and for anyone interested in Heroes of World Class (like me), it'll be released by Big Vision as a two-disc set nationally.[/QUOTE]

Where'd you hear this? Also, the copy my friend lent to me was a 1-discer. Are they splitting it onto two discs, or is this going to have more bonus content?

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']There's a listing for it on Amazon and DeepDiscountDVD. I don't know what'll be added, but it's advertised as a Director's Cut. This reminds me of Hardcore Homecoming and Hardcore History, where it was released on the web first on DVD, and then released later with lots more content nationally. Here's the cover -
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3125/heroesofworldclassbigxh9.jpg

Here's the Amazon listing -
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000I2JDD0/ref=s9_asin_title/104-2688288-2874300[/QUOTE]

The price is certainly right, and that cover art is very different. I suppose I shall be picking this up in December.

I haven't seen it, but the DVD I borrowed claims to have music by Stevie Ray Vaughn and The Flaming Lips. I wonder... with a national release, will the music be changed?

Odds are, it will be changed. Big Vision has nixed copyrighted music before (like on the Homecoming shows), and they'll probably do that here since it's a niche release.

Speaking of copyrighted music, how was ECW able to get away with it during its heyday? Did they figure since they were small it wouldn't matter?

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Odds are, it will be changed. Big Vision has nixed copyrighted music before (like on the Homecoming shows), and they'll probably do that here since it's a niche release.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I suppose my friend has a collector's item if that becomes truth. Then again, the only music I would care about with WCCW is if there are any matches on the disc. There were some classic themes.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Speaking of copyrighted music, how was ECW able to get away with it during its heyday? Did they figure since they were small it wouldn't matter?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. I asked this a while back. How could they get away with uncut entrances on some of the Pioneer DVD releases? Also, how is ROH able to get away with uncut themes on their releases? Granted, most of the time they will just have a short clip from a wrestler's intro before the match, but the themes are still there nonetheless.

Music rights issues make me sick. I swear, sometimes I wish the recording industry would look at things from the other side once in a while. Sometimes you will watch a movie or a TV show, and you will automatically associate a certain song with a scene. And many times, you see that program, and you'll want to find out about the artist and buy that song / CD.

Sometimes, you wonder if the record label should be paying the author of the program for the "honor" of being in that program.

ECW worked out deals with companies for the rights, but for their tapes, they were so under the radar that record companies never went after them. The same holds true for ROH, whose national DVD releases kept the licensed music for the same reason. Their web-only releases are so far under the radar that it wouldn't be worth the time for record companies to go after them - it might also be why the web-only release of Heroes of World Class had licensed music, and the natonal version likely won't. Pioneer's ECW releases usually had replaced music, but they got permission to use Motorhead's "Enter Sandman" song, and they could've easily gotten the rights to the Harry Slash songs, although having not seen a Pioneer-released ECW PPV on DVD, I'm not sure if they did.

I'm not sure if WCW licensed the music or not, but I remember that they used instrumental versions of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" for DDP and Raven.

[quote name='2Fast']I'm not sure if WCW licensed the music or not, but I remember that they used instrumental versions of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" for DDP and Raven.[/quote]

Turner could definitely shell out for music. I think Hogan started using Jimi Hendrix in WCW and if someone didn't pay for that I would be surprised.

Raven and DDP's songs were knock-offs, not instrumental versions of real songs. They paid a shit-load (like 10K) a shot for "Voodoo Child", which is why he only used it once during a show, and used the NWO theme during other appearances on a show. Jimmy Hart created a lot of knock-offs for them, including one for Shane Douglas modeled after "Perfect Strangers".

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']ECW worked out deals with companies for the rights, but for their tapes, they were so under the radar that record companies never went after them. The same holds true for ROH, whose national DVD releases kept the licensed music for the same reason. Their web-only releases are so far under the radar that it wouldn't be worth the time for record companies to go after them - it might also be why the web-only release of Heroes of World Class had licensed music, and the natonal version likely won't. Pioneer's ECW releases usually had replaced music, but they got permission to use Motorhead's "Enter Sandman" song, and they could've easily gotten the rights to the Harry Slash songs, although having not seen a Pioneer-released ECW PPV on DVD, I'm not sure if they did.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, most of the ECW DVDs did have all the original themes intact. Whichever ones had entrances... had the original themes.

I swear, though... I understand that the artists (but mostly the recording industry) wants to make money... but it just makes me sick that several great programs are stuck in limbo or completely changed because someone's got a problem using a few seconds or minutes of a song.

I wish that more deals were cut nowadays that would say, "OK, you're getting this much money, and it's not only for TV airings featuring your song, but for all future home video releases as well."

As a filmmaker, you don't want to compromise your work and say, "I guess I can afford this song. I'll have to only use 20 seconds of this one... I'll have to use some cheap generic music during this scene..." because it would mean compomising your final product.

Unfortunately, music rights and money mean that if I ever wanted to release any of my works on DVD, I'd have to go back and change the music, which is a bitch since most of my original footage is damaged or lost... or I'd have to just keep it locked away where it would never be seen.

I apologize for this little rant. I just think that when it comes to memories and such brought to you by films and wrestling matches and such, it's a shame to not be able to relive those memories due to stuff like music rights.

[quote name='2Fast']I'm not sure if WCW licensed the music or not, but I remember that they used instrumental versions of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" for DDP and Raven.[/QUOTE]

According to WCW, DDP's theme was nothing like Nirvana's song. :lol:

And what about "Seek and Destroy" for Sting. Man, it seems like they were hemorrhaging money those days. Maybe they know that they would be out of business soon after that.

[quote name='mykevermin']Refresh my memory of Taboo Tuesday, please? Was that the match he was supposed to have with the Coach that he bailed on?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he didn't want to job to Coach, so he bailed out.

Wait a minute, there's WWE tonight? :rofl:

Lemme guess... Stone Cold's going to come out, give a few Stunners, maybe make one or two more appearances, and then head back home on a bad note.

[quote name='mykevermin']Refresh my memory of Taboo Tuesday, please? Was that the match he was supposed to have with the Coach that he bailed on?[/QUOTE]

Yep, he was supposed to job to Coach and he disagreed so he walked.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Yeah, he didn't want to job to Coach, so he bailed out.

Wait a minute, there's WWE tonight? :rofl:

Lemme guess... Stone Cold's going to come out, give a few Stunners, maybe make one or two more appearances, and then head back home on a bad note.[/QUOTE]

Nah, they just said he's been spotted at the Staples Center. He's gonna be on Raw tomorrow, he just couldn't afford a hotel room for tonight.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']According to WCW, DDP's theme was nothing like Nirvana's song. :lol:[/quote]
Reminds me of that oft shown interview with Vanilla Ice...

"Ding ding ding da ding ding. See, it's different"

[quote name='2Fast']Reminds me of that oft shown interview with Vanilla Ice...

"Ding ding ding da ding ding. See, it's different"[/quote]

Heh, I remember that.

[quote name='2Fast']Reminds me of that oft shown interview with Vanilla Ice...

"Ding ding ding da ding ding. See, it's different"[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Yeah, I remember that interview, too. Ugh, I hate it when that beat will start, and some dumbass will say "Oh! It's Vanilla Ice!" when it turns out to be "Under Pressure."

Thank you, Vanilla Ice, for making a lot of people hate "Under Pressure," just because it reminds them of your song.

WWE wants Austin to do something for Cyber Sunday, so I guess they want Grisham to pin him. Or maybe they have a GOOD plan for him that could actually draw money for this PPV that people don't care about. Sting did use the real Metallica song, and WCW actually released the Woodstock '99 version (complete with a ton of swearing) on their WCW Mayhem CD. TNA made a knock-off of "Seek and Destroy" for Sting during his first matches in the company, and also made an "Enter Sandman" knock-off for Sandman. There's no WWE on TV tonight - they're just doing a supershow taping of Raw and SD since the crew's off to Japan for the week.

As for music rights - I hate seeing songs replaced, but I understand where record companies are coming from - they own the songs, and they want to be compensated for their use. I prefer that companies use knock-offs whenever possible since they're usually able to get the point across, and whoever makes it (or commissions it to be made) owns it, so there isn't a likely issue with it later unless the record company who owns the original songs says it's too close to theirs. I got a good laugh out of a Jimmy Hart interview where he said he was proud of Shane Douglas's "Deep" theme. I'm thinking, "I'm not sure if I'd list doing a good knock-off of a great song as something to be proud of.". Jimmy's knock-offs were also used in the XWF and Legends of Wrestling games.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Nah, they just said he's been spotted at the Staples Center. He's gonna be on Raw tomorrow, he just couldn't afford a hotel room for tonight.[/quote]

Raw is being taped tonight and aired tomorrow night

According to the spoilers, Austin
did nothing, while DX killed the Orton/Edge team, Cena FUed K-Fed, and Umaga killed the stars of Jackass 2.
In good spoiler news -
David Taylor made his WWE debut and will now team up with Regal, HOORAY!!!

In sad news, WCW journeyman Joey Maggs passed away today.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_614959_TNA_Final_resolution_2005_Scott_Hall_vs_Jeff_Hardy.htm

Please bring back Scott Hall. This video is awesome[/quote]

Man, that's a damn good match too. I have that off the Jeff Hardy TNA dvd.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Here is my list of my favorite 10 active wrestlers as of right now after giving much thought towards who I would put on the list.

9) Edge
10) Jeff Jarrett

Notable mentions: Jimmy Jacobs[/quote]

I always knew you were a bit of a schmuck, but man... I almost think you should stop posting in the wrestling topics after that one. At least for a month... a 30 day suspension for either Double J alone. And I thought you hated Jeff Jarrett, what gives?

Well, I got around to watching Heroes of World Class. I was planning on just starting it, but it was so great that I watched it in its entirety.

2.5 hours of great documentary. No matches on there, but tons of classic WCCW footage. It reminds you of why we love wrestling so much. Just plain classic!

I'm curious to see what will be different on the 2-disc release. Check this DVD out if you can.

Now that is a damn good price for the '05 DVDs. I'm tempted to pick up the WM deluxe set for about that price though, since I have most of '05's major PPVs on DVD (just missing Summerslam and Vengeance), and I'd rather have the Manias on DVD. Saucy Jack, here's a thread on Of Birth and Blood by the creator of the documentary. He goes into detail about the metaphors and meaning behind the non-wrestling footage, but you need an account to view this thread - http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=14211&hl=

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']*spoilers*[/QUOTE]

With regard to the "good" spoiler you posted, is that the same dude who used to tag with him, who is old enough to make Finlay look like a strapping young lad? I'm not complaining, b/c I think the guy's an amazing wrestler. It's curious that they're loading their roster with older dudes.

Batista, Finlay, Regal, Newguyyettobespoiled, Booker T; with the exception of Lashley, the SmackDown upper card is lookin' like an old-timers' league.

Hell, even MVP is allegedly 36, making him no spring chicken.

[quote name='mykevermin']With regard to the "good" spoiler you posted, is that the same dude who used to tag with him, who is old enough to make Finlay look like a strapping young lad? I'm not complaining, b/c I think the guy's an amazing wrestler. It's curious that they're loading their roster with older dudes.

Batista, Finlay, Regal, Newguyyettobespoiled, Booker T; with the exception of Lashley, the SmackDown upper card is lookin' like an old-timers' league.

Hell, even MVP is allegedly 36, making him no spring chicken.[/QUOTE]

I got to agree with that and Smackdown is really starting to feel like WCW, much more than TNA ever did. All 4 guys in the fatal four way at No Mercy all were in WCW or follow some WCW formula (Lashley is the strong black guy Bill Watts liked to have near the top of the card and Batista looks more like Goldberg after every match he has).

I hope they allow Hayes to push Hardy (since they seem to be fairly close from working together and a response about Hardy in a letter Hayes responded to on WWE.com) to get some younger guys in the picture. He may not be a fresh face, but the fans pop for him.

And I got to say I support Demo Man in liking Jeff Jarrett. He may not be the best in the business, but I feel that no one in either of the two big promotions can come close to cutting a heel promo as good as him (he has been letting me down lately, but over the summer he was on fire up until Victory Road). I think the lack of Steiner is probably the biggest reason why they aren't connecting as well as they have in the past.

Im hoping with all this multi brand interaction they'll just stop the split; hell even ECW is losing the ECW logo and "extremist/vixen" names and switching to the WWE & "superstar/diva" names.

[quote name='Bezerker']hell even ECW is losing the ECW logo and "extremist/vixen" names and switching to the WWE & "superstar/diva" names.[/QUOTE]

huh?

[quote name='mykevermin']huh?[/quote]

I think this is what he was refering to:

Dave Scherer reports that starting soon the ECW brand will no longer be treated as a seperate company but rather as the 3rd brand of the WWE. Little minor changes such as the women swtiching from being called Vixens to Divas and the males from Extremists to Superstars will take place. There has also been some discussion about removing the ECW logo from the screen and replacing it with the WWE logo.

A lot of this is Kevin Dunn's doing. He thinks the fans are confused and don't realise that ECW is a part of the WWE and he says thats the reason for the low ratings. Also expect the product to be toned down alot. Vince McMahon is not a fan of hardcore wrestling and he hated the RVD vs Test match.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Vince is the most fortunate moron I have ever seen except for the president.[/QUOTE]

fixed. Let's face it: ain't nothin' gonna change WWE. Vince Russo, for all the harm he caused to pro wrestling, was enough of a person to challenge Vince's vision of pro wrestling in 1996. It made McMahon a billionaire. In fact, it still does. WWE as a product is dreadful, but WWE as a business is fantastic for Vince. No competition means he has immense leverage in negotiating contracts, having a public offering means he cashes checks, to himself, worth tens of millions of dollars each time they have quarterly dividends, and they saturate the market enough with live shows and mechandise so as to make it a very profitable company. Keep income high, keep costs low: Vince has been following that exceptionally well for quite some time, so while the WWE is as stale and stagnant as can be imaginable, they never see it on their end as a result of the magnificent checks they make.

Remember what led to McMahon listening to Russo (again, allegedly the only person Vince ever listened to who disagreed with him): losing the ratings war to WCW, and *hemmorhaging money out the ass*. WWE history is glad to remind you what a success Vince is, and they frequently discuss how the WWF almost went out of business in 1996 because they couldn't turn a profit. Until they're put in such dire straights again, I don't see anything changing.

It's like asking McDonald's to serve you beef tournedos instead of McRibs, because they have trained chefs in the company who create the menu. It's totally fucking futile, and against the goal of the company.

TNA is improving at a snail's pace, and their biggest problem is that they need to grow (unlike WWE), yet the offensive things about their product (pushing Sting v. Jarrett) turn people away at a time when that is precisely what they do not need.

I'll gladly watch ROH when they're in town; they have a genius business model for a smalltime company. Their biggest problem is that, in order to follow storylines, you need to shell out $20 for every dvd they release (which is every goddamned show they do). In the end, they succeed because, while you may not give a shit about the feud between so-and-so A and so-and-so B, they at least get to have a good fucking wrestling match.

Heh. McTournedos.

Whatever blows your skirt up, Guile.

So, lemme get this straight: Steve Austin didn't even make an appearance at Raw/Smackdown this week? Way to hype nothing.

EDIT: Just read that Brent Albright will be taking on Christopher Daniels at ROH next Friday. :drool: And this Friday I get to see Joan Jett! What a fucking month!

Has RAW been worth recording lately? I haven't watched it since Sept. 4th and I am debated about setting my VCR for this instead of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back