The Simpsons Game - Gen. Discussion

I have to agree about the camera - I played the demo level for 30+ minutes before finally beating the boss - I was amazed that the "target" time is only 4 minutes! The camera is really annoying, and even tho you can click on the right stick to reset it, it just instantly resets, so it still takes a second to reorient afterwards - not good when the boss is bearing down on you.

Also... what's with the absolute insane amount of Krustys and Kang / Kodos (can't remember their exact names, you know the aliens from ToH episodes) - and the infinite amount of them too? I thought this game was going to be more of a "progress through the level til you get to the boss" kind of game, ala Mario, not "throw everything including the kitchen sink at you and hope you don't die" kind of game. I was really hopeful this would finally bust The Simpsons out of video game hell, but I don't think it will - it comes close tho, I'll give them props for the outstanding graphics, dialog, and sound.

[quote name='Pestilence']anyone else find this to be frustratingly hard? it would take me forever to hit the second button, and when i did, he wasnt near anything for bart to float up and on his back.

it was some major bull shit.[/quote]Ditto. The first target was decent, but then you had to fight both the boss to get him into the right spot so you can actually get up there along with the camera. You're already circling a 30-40 foot boss and then the camera has this horrible lag in trailing behind that you have to fight. The targeting still semi-works, but then once you finally hit the 2nd and 3rd targets, you have to reorient the slow camera to get yourself up onto a platform to hit 'em.

Another "me too" post about the camera interferring with the gameplay. It's zoomed in too close and difficult to control and makes that whole boss fight a lot more of a pain the ass than it needed to be.

Also, I didn't care for the attacks, either. If I'm getting swarmed by enemies, I want to do more than just some limited punches.

Everything else was awesome--graphics, animations, in-game references. Co-op is also great. It's almost a shame, really. At least I don't have to get this game day one now. :p

[quote name='Pestilence']anyone else find this to be frustratingly hard? it would take me forever to hit the second button, and when i did, he wasnt near anything for bart to float up and on his back.

it was some major bull shit.[/quote]

Word.

I was having fun up until I had to stop him somewhere close to a building or something that Bart could reach. Game looks and sounds freakin' awesome though, already have mine preordered and picking up on day one.

Why are people complaining because Lard Boy was difficult? There were pleanty of mattress' & dumpsters to jump on to get to higher places to jump on his second and third spot. Also, there's at least 2 helium containers that I saw..in which Homer can suck and he can float up. There's quite a few fire hydrants that Homer can smash, and then it spews upwards and Bart as Bartman can use to float up with...
Yeah it was kind of a difficult, but not impossible. The camera was a bitch, but there certainly have been worse situations. Having some sort of difficulty should be embraced, IMO

So the demo is a parody of SotC right?

Also, how do you kill the giant robot? I used Bart's slingshot on the bottom weak spot, climbed up, and destroyed it. However, I couldn't get to the top spot. How do you do it? By the time I climbed up a building to jump on he would close the panel.

Yeah I found the Lard Land Doughnut guy to be a complete bitch to fight. I couldn't jump from a platform high enough to reach the second tier of Lard Boy's back.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Yeah I found the Lard Land Doughnut guy to be a complete bitch to fight. I couldn't jump from a platform high enough to reach the second tier of Lard Boy's back.[/QUOTE]

Same, but with the third button. I even tried doing the Bartman glide off of a building, but for a gliding move he drops down really quickly. How the hell do you reach the third platform on Lard Lad? What makes it even more a pain is if you don't get up to it in a certain time period he runs to the other side of the map and you have to try and lure him back to where there's buildings.

Camera was anooying and in a couple places seemed broken. Stood in the smashed up building and the camera kept trying to reset itself into the wall for some reason while I was trying to aim with Bart. The partner AI is really bad, computer controlled Homer at one point just kept running forward at a wall and didn't move until I switched to him. I didn't think either the Lard Lad was hard to avoid or that the Crusty's were overwhelming, the most difficult thing to me was trying to get on Lard Lad's back.

Loved the art direction and the voice acting, hated pretty much everything else. I'm passing on this.

[quote name='lilboo']Why are people complaining because Lard Boy was difficult? There were pleanty of mattress' & dumpsters to jump on to get to higher places to jump on his second and third spot. Also, there's at least 2 helium containers that I saw..in which Homer can suck and he can float up. There's quite a few fire hydrants that Homer can smash, and then it spews upwards and Bart as Bartman can use to float up with...
Yeah it was kind of a difficult, but not impossible. The camera was a bitch, but there certainly have been worse situations. Having some sort of difficulty should be embraced, IMO[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between difficulty and frustrating game design. When the hardest part of the demo was just getting up on a high enough platform to finish Lard Lad off in enough time, then that's a design flaw.

Hitting the switch with Bart then changing over to Homer I'd find half the time Homer had run to a farther away area and then I'd have to run and get the helium and float up to Lard Lad. Either the helium would run out or Lard Lad would recover and run away. Using vents/hydrants to try and glide to it wasn't working well either, and the camera made all of that more difficult than neccisary.

[quote name='whiptcracker']There's a difference between difficulty and frustrating game design. When the hardest part of the demo was just getting up on a high enough platform to finish Lard Lad off in enough time, then that's a design flaw.

Hitting the switch with Bart then changing over to Homer I'd find half the time Homer had run to a farther away area and then I'd have to run and get the helium and float up to Lard Lad. Either the helium would run out or Lard Lad would recover and run away. Using vents/hydrants to try and glide to it wasn't working well either, and the camera made all of that more difficult than neccisary.[/quote]Exactly. Fighting the boss should be the challenge. I shouldn't have to fight the camera on top of that.

For the third spot, I ended up luring him near the prison walls next to a broken fire hydrant. If you can get around the camera issues of running around him while near a wall, then you should be able to get high enough with the draft to either jump on the wall and then onto his back, or aim directly for the platform after the updraft.

Boss fight was awful. Frustrating to the point of not being fun. It's a shame because I liked everything else. Bad demo or bad game?

I thought Lard Lad was easy, I just lured him to a building, hid behind the air ducts, he thought he lost me so he walked away, nailed him with Bart and glided easily to the third platform

I agree with all the camera complaints (honestly, I felt a little sick after playing it) but want to add that the game would be much easier if it had some way of instructing the teammate AI to "hold position" -- to get that top panel I would put Bart on top of a building, use Homer to lure Lard Lad to be facing so his back was toward that tall building and switch back only to find Bart had already jumped off the site I'd worked so hard to climb him on top off.

Ugh. I imagine it's more fun and quite a bit easier multi-player.

So has this game gone gold? Because I'd really like to buy it and after hearing about al the camera complaints I'm left wondering if they have time to fix things. I don't know much about game design, so would fixing the camera even be possible now at this point?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the difficulty at all. In fact, I thought it was rather easy, from a design point of view. It's the fact that the camera goes all over the place and the fact that if you move Bart a fraction the wrong way he'll "slide" right over the platform that makes it artificially hard. I hit the platform over and over and for some reason he'd just run right past it. It doesn't help that if you're in single player, the AI is a bit more retarded than Homer really is, so getting Lard Boy into position takes a lot of jumping back and forth between characters which is lame when coupled with the screwy camera.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']The screens look good but I wonder how the gameplay will turn out. I hope there isn't an awkward control/camera problem.[/QUOTE]

I jinxed this game all the way back in May.

Played last night and had the same camera problems as everyone else. Hope they fix it before the game is completed.

[quote name='aerotive']Played last night and had the same camera problems as everyone else. Hope they fix it before the game is completed.[/QUOTE]

anyone else get a nauseating feeling switching characters while running? It's a shame too cause the game seems well made otherwise that the shit camera and oddly difficult aiming for barts slingshot.

I'm hoping they picked a horrible level and that the rest of the gameplay works around the horrible camera. Difficulty should be based on the actual gameplay, not horrible camera systems, controls, and etc.

The Simpsons fan in me wants this so bad to be awesome, but sadly based on that demo it seems to be a 6 at best. If this one fails they better make Hit and Run 2, I loved that game! Also a better version of road rage would be cool too...I really miss crazy taxi, sega. ):

did anybody find all the bottlecaps I found all the coupons and cliches but spent like 30 minutes looking for that last bottlecap before I stopped but I liked the demo camera could be better

Yeah, the camara was really wonky when it came to trying to target things. When it came down to exploring the environment, it was okay.

I thought it was a lot of fun, and I haven't watched Simpsons for years now. Yes, it has problems, but it was funny and just a good time. Co-op on this would be a ton of fun.

I think I spent over an hour trying to beat it last night... wonky camera made me give up on the third hatch.

fun game for maybe 29.99$ but it won't be that price so its a definite pass.

I"m surprised so many people are saying this is aweful and to hard just based off the camera. I think it took me 30 or 40 minutes to beat it myself but knowing how to do it now it could easily be done in 2 to 5 I"m sure of it. The camera wasn't "that" horrible and Lard Lad wasnt horribly horribly hard to get on the hatches I thought it was pretty fun honestly :).

I went to Wal-Mart today and I saw a sign near the entrance advertising the game. It shows the Neverquest poster in the upper right corner and it says it'll come with specially marked games while supplies last. So I'm confident the posters will be bundled with the game and the 4 retailers will get different ones. It seems Gamestop is getting the Bartman poster and Homerball and Wal-Mart is gettting the Neverquest one. Now onto finding out what posters Best Buy and Target will have...

I played around with it for about 45 minutes. I did not read -anything- about the game and wanted to see if anyone here was having the 'control' issues I had... and it looks like most of you have. The graphics are really cool and it looks really crisp on my big screen tv. I hope they can do something with the controls before it's released.

this doesn't have to do with game but if you preorder the simpsons movie at buy.com with google checkout you get it for 8.89 shipped

this doesn't have to do with game but if you preorder the simpsons movie at buy.com with google checkout you get it for 8.89 shipped

The graphics are sick on this but the rest of the game is kinda ho-hum. The lard lad battle was kinda monotonous and the level did really do anything to make me want to play the full game.

Yeah, the camera and controls really sucked. Plus, the Scarab is a bitch. I don't even know why hte put that in htere. So difficult.

I think the camera is not a deal breaker. At certain times it was a little wonky, overall it wasn't super horrible. Unless the rest of the levels are a lot worse than the Lard Lad one, I am going to get the game asacp. Totally going to GameFly it.

For LA CAG's, Matt Groening is hosting the launch party for this at Universal Citywalk. Free snacks, drinks, and giveaways, as well as various writers from the show in attendance.

[quote name='JJSP']For LA CAG's, Matt Groening is hosting the launch party for this at Universal Citywalk. Free snacks, drinks, and giveaways, as well as various writers from the show in attendance.[/quote]

I have never wished I lived in LA more than now.

[quote name='JJSP']For LA CAG's, Matt Groening is hosting the launch party for this at Universal Citywalk. Free snacks, drinks, and giveaways, as well as various writers from the show in attendance.[/QUOTE]

Why couldn't this be on a weekend!!

I was going to get this at best buy so I could get the poster also. Now with reading about the camera I think I will pass. Also i don't like the fact that 4 different places have a different poster with it. I might just try and see what they look like on ebay and order them that way and hold out for a price drip on the game.

Can anyone confirm the poster is INSIDE the box?? Just got back from BB, and the people were clueless. They did manage to find the Homerball, but didn't know about the poster. I don't want to open my copy if I need to return it to get the free stuff...

[quote name='darth007']For those still interested in buying this game on day one Best Buy is getting the Medal of Homer poster inside their copies. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat131400050017&type=category

I'm sure of all except for Target:
Gamestop = Bartman poster + Homerball
Wal-Mart = Neverquest poster
Best Buy = Medal of Homer poster
Target = Big Super Happy Fun-Fun Game poster[/quote]

Picked up my copy from Best Buy also today with the Homerball.

On the back of the Game case it says it has the poster in it.

Tempted to pick up the Target version for the poster but I guess I can live with Medal of Homer and a Homerball since I had $30 RZ Certs.

this game didn't seem that bad, i played the demo and it was okay, took a while but i could see the whole game being pretty entertaining, those who haven't played it, at least try the demo before making a decision to buy, i thought it was pretty fun.

[quote name='lilboo']So I wonder if this will be a game that drops in price quickly. What's everyone think..?[/QUOTE]

Its EA so if the game is a total sales flop they'll drop it quick. They aren't usually as quick to drop as Ubi is but they aren't too far behind. I'm betting $40 by Christmas, January at the latest.

With GH3, Rock Band, Call of Duty 4, Mario Galaxy and even residual sales from Half-Life 2 and Halo 3 there's just no room in this year's game market for average to mediocre games.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Its EA so if the game is a total sales flop they'll drop it quick. They aren't usually as quick to drop as Ubi is but they aren't too far behind. I'm betting $40 by Christmas, January at the latest.

With GH3, Rock Band, Call of Duty 4, Mario Galaxy and even residual sales from Half-Life 2 and Halo 3 there's just no room in this year's game market for average to mediocre games.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Good point. I do think the game will sell pretty well though, considering it has the Simpson's name on it..but I could just be retarded.

I enjoyed this demo very much (as I did play in co-op)..but for $60..hmm. I don't even know if I would even try and get this via Freebie site.

bread's done
Back