The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='All Out Fanboy']Nice thread, love Star Trek especially the ones with Picard[/QUOTE]

Get lost, newbie. The plain fact is, there's already an official Star Trek thread. This thread is a pretender.

Anyone going to watch that Shatner's Raw Nerve with him and Koenig or the one with him and Burton? Those should be entertaining.

[quote name='ITDEFX']When does that come on?[/QUOTE]

33 - LeVar Burton
Monday, March 14 @ 10:00PM
31 - Walter Koenig
Monday, March 14 @ 10:30PM
33 - LeVar Burton
Tuesday, March 15 @ 2:00AM
31 - Walter Koenig
Tuesday, March 15 @ 2:30AM

Not sure what the numbers are, except possibly episode numbers. Pulled that from the Raw Nerve page on Biography.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']not anymore[/QUOTE]Actually, wrong again.

We went through this last time you tried this, and like last time, we merged your thread into the existing and already present thread.

Just bump the thread like other people would do instead of twice ignoring the search feature and making your own thread, again.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']wow this ones wack mine was going to be better, see what happens when you try to better the community[/QUOTE]

Wait what?

Beat it TROLL!

Your the one who started this mess by coming to the OTT area and made a new thread calling it the official CAG star trek thread we already had one ..we told you we had one already and bumped it for you but you still kept on bumping your own. Finally a mod had to come in and clean it up since you have done this shit before.

how have I done this before? oh are you a MOD? NO!

internet thug, get a real life

people are free to create and comment on anything

negative comments like yours not needed

[quote name='CaptainKirk']how have I done this before? oh are you a MOD? NO!

internet thug, get a real life

people are free to create and comment on anything

negative comments like yours not needed[/QUOTE]
See below about you doing this same thing previously, which happens to be on the page before this one:

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='CaptainKirk']why did you merge my thread to this one? this barely has anything to do with my thread

thanks mod![/QUOTE]They're the same thread. We didn't need two.

Search function would have found the existing thread.[/QUOTE]

So, yes, you've done this before and didn't get the hint the first time. We already have a Star Trek thread, so we don't need two that do the same thing.

So are there any plans for a new Star trek series? I think it has been long enough. There has to be something they can do - maybe set it in a different time period than TNG/VOY/DS9 or maybe set it in the alternate TNG universe that was created from the ST 2009 movie? I don't know...

[quote name='javeryh']So are there any plans for a new Star trek series? I think it has been long enough. There has to be something they can do - maybe set it in a different time period than TNG/VOY/DS9 or maybe set it in the alternate TNG universe that was created from the ST 2009 movie? I don't know...[/QUOTE]

There has been talks for a very long time for a series set in the JJverse since the movie came out.

There has always been that "Excelisor" tv show with Sulu rumor, but that's been going on since Star Trek VI. He's to old for it now...too bad..

A DS9 movie ain't gonna happen. It's been 12 years since the show ended. I know I wanted one too but it ain't gonna happen.

A "Titan" tv show was thought of with Riker and Troi but we got the book series instead.... ahh too bad..would have been nice though.

The only trek thing we have now is Star Trek Online.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']He's been dead a long time. It was time for a thread title change.[/QUOTE]

He's dead, Jim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0yXqU-w9U0&feature=related

No, was worse than dead - HIS BRAIN IS GONE!!!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']There has been talks for a very long time for a series set in the JJverse since the movie came out.

There has always been that "Excelisor" tv show with Sulu rumor, but that's been going on since Star Trek VI. He's to old for it now...too bad..

A DS9 movie ain't gonna happen. It's been 12 years since the show ended. I know I wanted one too but it ain't gonna happen.

A "Titan" tv show was thought of with Riker and Troi but we got the book series instead.... ahh too bad..would have been nice though.

The only trek thing we have now is Star Trek Online.[/QUOTE]

I'd love a series in the JJverse. At this point I don't want anything to come out where people will be bitching about continuity and other stuff.

Based on some of the stuff I have read from the titan novels (I haven't read any of them all the way thru, just summaries on wiki's), The Titan series would have made an excellent show. If it wasn't for Nemesis doing so poorly at the box office, we could have seen a Titan TV show by the Fall of 2003. It would have allowed Riker and Troi to have new adventures, while having Tuvok on the ship as well. They could have returned to Deep Space Nine a few times too.

That reminds me, I have to go back to several star trek games and finish them off...such as

Star Trek : Bridge Commander
Star Trek: Klingon Academy (i loved the tractor beam enemy ship at warp and throwing them into the sun exploit but they patched that!)
Star Trek: New Worlds

and a few others.

I'm tempted to reinstall Star Trek Armada 1/2. Those were some of my favorite ST games, and just good RTS games period.

[quote name='Clak']I'm tempted to reinstall Star Trek Armada 1/2. Those were some of my favorite ST games, and just good RTS games period.[/QUOTE]

Yea that too..I have to beat Armada 2....

[quote name='CaptainKirk']here my thread didnt make it to page TWO

you look like you need a bump, NOOB[/QUOTE]

Dear CaptainKirk,

Stop being a troll and GTFO!

ANYWAY.
I have seen every episode and movie of any live action Star Trek series ever made.
( I haven't gotten around to watching the animated series as of yet...) ( I also refuse to watch that god awful fan remake of ST: Second Phase)
And I own only ONE Star Trek video game... (Star Trek: Shattered Dimensions - PS2)
Just putting it out there~

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Oaxan']ANYWAY.
I have seen every episode and movie of any live action Star Trek series ever made.
( I haven't gotten around to watching the animated series as of yet...) ( I also refuse to watch that god awful fan remake of ST: Second Phase)
And I own only ONE Star Trek video game... (Star Trek: Shattered Dimensions - PS2)
Just putting it out there~[/QUOTE]

I think the best three Trek games are Elite Force, Bridge Commander and Invasion. I played Elite Force to death. Amazing game.

DS9 was the bomb shizzle! I loved that show and was sorry to see it end... and that there was never a movie that used the characters. The last season was complete sci-fi badassery

[quote name='Clak']Bridge Commander was pretty fun, but seemed buggy.[/QUOTE]

I actually reinstalled that one last night. Holy fuck I forgot how bad the "mouths" on the characters were. It was like they used the same mouth animation on every character :O Last time I played it was so many years ago and I stopped at that data mission.

[quote name='keithp']Don't forget ST:25th Anniversary! I always liked that one. Having grown up with TOS it was the first game at the time to really capture the series flavor I thought.[/QUOTE]

That one was a classic....I remembered playing that on a 3.5inch floppy. Never did get to enjoy the CD rom enhanced version.

You know I never got to buy EF2........I was waiting for the price drop at EB/BB from 30 to lower, but one day it just went poof :(

I also remembered buying ST: BOTF off of ebay for 40 bucks as everyone said it was a great game years ago. Ended up regretting buying that.

[quote name='Retom7']DS9 was the bomb shizzle! I loved that show and was sorry to see it end... and that there was never a movie that used the characters. The last season was complete sci-fi badassery[/QUOTE]

Except for the last episode. What a letdown.

Hopefully, there will only be a new Star Trek series when the powers that be figure out what exactly they want to do. Because they really don't have an easy job.

Science fiction on TV has changed. I think it's one of the things that killed Enterprise. TV in general has changed. Since TV Treks' demise, the dominant model has been arc shows and continuing plotlines, which is something even DS9 had difficulty with. Voyager ignored it (and was terrible). Enterprise tried to do everything for everyone and did nothing particularly well.

A new series would have to hit all of the things that people expect from Star Trek. However, so many of those things have gotten so tired that people won't watch it long term without some sort of innovation or compelling reason. An alien planet/anomaly of the week story model is so played out that it would die an early death.

But, so are Klingons, Borg, and many other Trek tropes. The Catch-22 is that people want Klingons and Borg but don't want yet another diatribe on honor or the latest emasculation of the Borg. It's been done so many times that it's boring.

That's part of the allure of the JJVerse in that you can change things around and make them darker or surprising or fresh. But you need a clear vision for that. Where is Star Trek Remix going? It worked for a two hour movie. How will that translate to a series? And how will they fight the urge to muck it all up with time travel?

Voyager and Enterprise make the case that unless there are some serious in-house changes, even a remix project would be ridiculous. Neither of them could resist shoehorning in Ferengi and Borg even though it was completely nonsensical. TV Star Trek has had very little discipline which led to wildly inconsistent stories and quality.

TNG worked because it kept that Star Trek essence but went off and did its own thing. We didn't see the Gorn or the Andorians or the Tholians. We didn't even see Vulcans for the most part (and given how badly they were treated in DS9 and Enterprise, that's probably a good thing). TNG created a lot of stupid forehead aliens of the week, but they also created the Borg, the Cardassians and others while reinvigorating the Klingons and Romulans.

DS9 worked because it took Star Trek to the next logical step: politics, world-building, and a galaxy populated by all different kinds of beings, each with their own interests. Despite the grander vision, characters and relationships were the most important elements. It wasn't as optimistic as Trek usually is, but it was realistic without being angsty or depressing. It was a modern Trek for modern times and it worked pretty well.

Voyager failed by being DS9's inverse. Continuing stories, character development, and relationships all were chucked for anomaly of the week stories. Worse, Voyager frequently betrayed the very ideas and ideals of Star Trek. DS9, for all its vaunted "darkness", never did that. Voyager simply didn't care -- about anything, really, and it showed. Voyager is one of the laziest shows I've ever seen.

Enterprise failed by being an extension of Voyager. The whole model of the bridge crew facing aliens of the week was beyond threadbare and Enterprise took the worst of all the Trek hallmarks with it. Reset button stories, characters that never grew, and boring recycled plots. Attempts were made to introduce arc stories or long-term development, but they were never serious. You can't half-commit to something like that or you get an unsatisfying mess, which is what both Voyager and Enterprise turned out to be.

TNG probably wouldn't survive today. Most of us remember it fondly even though there were horribly boring episodes, stupid aliens of the week, and Wesley Crusher. It also isn't the only science fiction on the air anymore (although now would be a good time, given the comparatively slim pickings).

But more than that, expectations have changed. For me, Battlestar Galactica completely buried the old Star Trek model. They turned almost every Star Trek trope on its ear and showed how compelling it would be. For the record, I don't want Star Trek to be Battlestar Galactica, but to learn from it. DS9 learned from Babylon 5 and was all the stronger for it (and by "learn" I do mean "shamelessly borrow" and by "borrow" I mean "steal"). Not everything that worked for BSG or Babylon 5 is appropriate for Trek. But boldly going around in circles isn't appropriate either.

Star Trek needs to commit to something. It cannot be an arc show and a reset button show. It cannot have interesting characters that change and grow and characters who are virtually identical seven years later. It cannot please the diehards who can sketch out all the different timelines and the casual viewers who can't tell a Ferengi from a Pakled.

It also can't stand still for seven years (like Voyager) or wander around aimlessly (like most Trek) while the writers and producers ping-pong between galaxy building and bottle shows, making stuff up on the fly and hoping it counts as continuity. Imagine how much better TNG and DS9 would have been if they had thought more than a few episodes in advance.

It needs a vision. It needs a reason for coming back. It needs a compelling mission, a good set of antagonists, and a healthy dose of innovation. It needs to feel comfortable (like TNG) but not complacent (like Voyager). It needs to rethink everything, but, at the end of the day, still needs to be Star Trek.

OMG this is the most awesome news. I cannot wait for DS9.

Also, blandstalker - I agree with just about everything you posted. If they ever do another Trek series it needs to be in the new timeline AND they need to map out all 5 or 7 seasons from the beginning (season arcs and series arc). Sci-fi shows need direction more than anything else - the good stories and character development will come from there if there is a purpose to everything. The alien-of-the-week stories are played out but there are infinite possibilities for a show set in the ST universe.

See the problem is that my gf doesn't mind watching shows like "V", No Ordinary Family, Firefly, Terminator:TSCC, Heroes and BSG, but absolutely WILL NOT WATCH ANY FORM OF STAR TREK :(.................I told her that while I work during the summer, she is going to have plenty of time to catch up on TNG/VOY/ENT and eventually DS9 in the fall yet she chooses not to watch star trek even though her dad is a huge sf nerd. *sigh* :cry:

bread's done
Back