The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='Invicta 61']^^^ You should leave her.[/QUOTE]

lol... but... maybe it's ok not to have someone who is not interested in star trek cause of the mega nerd arguments we would have !:booty:

I'm the only person I know who likes Star Trek...
I'd kill to have my GF be into ST. instead, she loves talking about serial killers. (I should be very afraid...)

[quote name='Oaxan']I'm the only person I know who likes Star Trek...
I'd kill to have my GF be into ST. instead, she loves talking about serial killers. (I should be very afraid...)[/QUOTE]

I don't know what's worse your gf who likes talking about SKs...or mine who loves watching Glee/American Idol and hbo re-runs of What happens in Vegas, SITC, and so on SO MANY FREAKING TIMES!!!

It's too bad the TNG Pilot was too fantasy like to get her hooked.... I might have to fast forward her to Season 2 or 3 since there aren't really any season 1 or 2 episodes that was really good.

I don't bother convincing people Trek is worth their time. I've just come to accept that Trek is going to be stigmatized.

The latest Trek film, the friggin "reboot," convinces me even more that I was right to keep Trek to myself. Apparently this reboot is what Trek should have been to make it more appealing to a broader audience. I'm so glad it didn't go for that broad appeal through TOS, TNG, and DS9 and the films therein (though the films certainly had some moments hinting at a desire for broad appeal). The only way I could bear to watch the new Trek was with the rifftrax, which made it somewhat manageable.

Anyhow, I'm happy to keep the episodes to myself. If I run into someone who likes Trek, I talk it up a little, but I'm gunshy after years of people asking me, "Star TREK? You mean, Spock, right, not Darth Vader?" The only person I really ever talked Trek with in person was the uncle who introduced me to TOS as a kid. Since then it's been a lonely enterprise. Ha.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/09/rumor-cbs-moving-forward-with-star-trek-tng-in-hd-project/

Hmm..
I don't see it coming out this year as a project this big would take a LONG time. But I am sure key episodes have been already been remastered in HD along with the visual effects and shown to paramount. I think it read somewhere it was shot on film and then converted to video for post production effects. If there is a true 16x9 negative of the series still in tact, then this is going to be amazing... if not we will just get a 4x3 HD picture like TOS HD.

It will be nice if they have a trade in program but I doubt it for those who have the series on DVD. I really hope that the packaging is a LOT better than having to unfold several feet of the package to retrieve one disc :(

I'm not enthused about this getting done, since TOS was shot on entirely film and TNG's end product was shot on video. With that being the case, you're likely to get a bad upscale, even with redone special effects.

TOS having its effects redone with the base product on film made the end product a much better looking option than TNG might look like. I think DS9 & Voyager were in the same scenario as TNG. Enterprise was shot with HD cameras (I think), so that should make a nice looking transition to Blu-Ray.

Also, if there's not enough sales to sustain the cost of doing it, we might not get all of the seasons out on BD. Numerous TV seasons came out with season on BD and never went back to BD with later/other seasons, with How I Met Your Mother S4 and Lie to Me S1 coming to mind. Not a lot of series backfill older seasons onto to BD once they start coming out on DVD and BD, though Supernatural is the rare exception to that trend.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm not enthused about this getting done, since TOS was shot on entirely film and TNG's end product was shot on video. With that being the case, you're likely to get a bad upscale, even with redone special effects.

TOS having its effects redone with the base product on film made the end product a much better looking option than TNG might look like. I think DS9 & Voyager were in the same scenario as TNG. Enterprise was shot with HD cameras (I think), so that should make a nice looking transition to Blu-Ray.

Also, if there's not enough sales to sustain the cost of doing it, we might not get all of the seasons out on BD. Numerous TV seasons came out with season on BD and never went back to BD with later/other seasons, with How I Met Your Mother S4 and Lie to Me S1 coming to mind. Not a lot of series backfill older seasons onto to BD once they start coming out on DVD and BD, though Supernatural is the rare exception to that trend.[/QUOTE]

I am still betting on TNG being filmed on regular film then finished on video. Season 1 is gonna look horrible and Season 2 not too bad. The DVD's of season 1 look horrible on a SD TV set :( I have not dared to re-watch my SD-DVD's on my 58 inch plasma as it was just horrible. Paramount knows that they are going to lose a LOT of money if they push out a less than stellar BR. Review sites will be all over these discs and pick them apart. I have no doubt these seasons will go for 200 bucks upon release. So basically the first season release must BE PERFECT and affordable. I do agree that ENT will look great in HD (as seen on HDNET widescreen and Sci Fi 4x3....what the fuck SF??!?!)

I have to look into it more, but I think the Star Trek TNG/VOY/DS9 Companion books tells the information about the cameras....

[quote name='Clak']Enterprise is already out on BD.

edit- Or I thought it was at least.[/QUOTE]

Yea I was like "wait what? Where did that come from?" I monitor a lot of BR sites and trek sites and I am sure this would have been picked up on radar long before the announcement was made. Whatever happens, I really hope the packaging is better this time around.

They really showed Frakes having a lot of game in TNG but I don't know anyone who would've fallen for his pickup lines. Still, I woulda ridden it just for the looks/bragging rights.

I would probably rank Balance of Terror lower, and switch The Void with The Year of Hell, but overall, not many complaints.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So glad The Visitor was mentioned. Overall, I approve greatly of the list.[/QUOTE]

The visitor was a very powerful episode ....made me cry :cry:

[quote name='shrike4242']io9 posted their list of top 10 episodes across all the series:
http://io9.com/5797961/the-10-best-star-trek-episodes

None from Enterprise, and when I look over the list, I really can't disagree with any of their choices.[/QUOTE]

The only one I disagree with is Darmok. In my humble opinion, that is the most overrated episode in all of Trekdom. I just don't get the appeal of it and I think it is average at best.

Pale Moonlight is by far my favorite. It took the idealism of Star Trek and interjected realism in a way that Trek had never really done before.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only one I disagree with is Darmok. In my humble opinion, that is the most overrated episode in all of Trekdom. I just don't get the appeal of it and I think it is average at best.

Pale Moonlight is by far my favorite. It took the idealism of Star Trek and interjected realism in a way that Trek had never really done before.[/QUOTE]

I don't really like the episode with the flute. I mean, it was OK and all but I think I prefer the mind fuck episodes more.

I remember the one where the crew was being experimented on by aliens. The one where they were cutting a cake made out of data. The one where they were in the hotel. I'm sure I could go one with more vague descriptions, but those are the ones that I immediately remember when I think about ST:TNG.

The flute one (Inner Light) was awesome because it was a cool concept and because it was a fun study of a side of JLP we'd otherwise never see (the family man as opposed to the lifer of a starfleet officer).

Darmok was awesome for the quotes alone, though linguistically it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's just fun to say "shaka when the walls fell" to people who have no clue what you're on about. It's one of the best ways to annoy friends/family. That justifies the episode.

TEMBA HIS ARMS WIDE

[quote name='Mayson'] The one where they were cutting a cake made out of data. [/QUOTE]

Close, it was Data's dream...

TroiCake101810.gif

[quote name='ITDEFX']The visitor was a very powerful episode ....made me cry :cry:[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah. The tears wanted to come but I wouldn't let them.
Also, this is amazing. But still gives me a bit of goosebumps because it reminds me of the episode, and it works pretty well as a music video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmfL54nJ3c

Could that cartoon be the TNG era cartoon I've always dreamed of? Could you imagine all of the spin off series coming together and telling different stories? Good God, it'd be amazing.

[quote name='dothog']The flute one (Inner Light) was awesome because it was a cool concept and because it was a fun study of a side of JLP we'd otherwise never see (the family man as opposed to the lifer of a starfleet officer).

Darmok was awesome for the quotes alone, though linguistically it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's just fun to say "shaka when the walls fell" to people who have no clue what you're on about. It's one of the best ways to annoy friends/family. That justifies the episode.

TEMBA HIS ARMS WIDE[/QUOTE]

Darmok and Jillad at Tenagra!!!!

WHEN THE WALLS FELL!!!!!

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only one I disagree with is Darmok. In my humble opinion, that is the most overrated episode in all of Trekdom. I just don't get the appeal of it and I think it is average at best.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think the idea behind it was novel, the execution was great, and the subject was something I wish we would see more often, but won't because of one of the conceits of the series.

Darmok is all about communication. This is usually a non-issue because of the universal translator, which is more magic than a Babel fish. I think it is part of the reason why there aren't very many "alien" aliens -- they all speak, think, and act just like humans.

I understand why the universal translator is there -- it would be boring and distracting to actually portray other languages all the time. But it removes communication as a subject, and the sad irony is that communication would probably be one of the biggest issues in any actual encounter with aliens, to say nothing of ongoing relationships.

Despite having a very "high concept" story, Darmok is Star Trek at its heart. The idea that bridging differences is worth the effort (even if there are those around you who disagree). The idea that underneath it all, we are the stories we tell, and space battles and special effects aren't everything. It also managed to accomplish everything without being too talky, dull, or moralizing.

The final scene in Darmok is pretty amazing -- Picard having a conversation in metaphor. None of it was spoonfed to the audience, and yet you can follow the meaning, even if it isn't exact. It's a wonderful moment in a franchise that sometimes feels the need to over-explain or point out the obvious in everything.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Pale Moonlight is by far my favorite. It took the idealism of Star Trek and interjected realism in a way that Trek had never really done before.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It encapsulates everything that DS9 brought to the table.

My only problem with Darmok was that it wasn't a terribly original concept. The idea had already been used in the movie Enemy Mine. The Star Trek episode was basically a shorter version of that movie.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']My only problem with Darmok was that it wasn't a terribly original concept. The idea had already been used in the movie Enemy Mine. The Star Trek episode was basically a shorter version of that movie.[/QUOTE]

exactly.

It was the first episode to show the new jacket which I thought was pretty cool.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']It's cellular peptide cake. With mint frosting.[/QUOTE]

That was a pretty fucked up episode if you asked me, but honestly I wouldn't have mind having a piece of that ! ;)

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Darmok and Jillad at Tenagra!!!!

WHEN THE WALLS FELL!!!!![/QUOTE]

It says something about the episote when it's been over 10 years since I've seen it yet I still recognize these lines out of context and remember the episode vividly.

[quote name='Mayson']I remember the one where the crew was being experimented on by aliens. [/QUOTE]

Wasn't that a Voyager episode? "Scientific Method" is the one I'm thinking of when you described it. That was one of the better Voyager episodes - Janeway had a splitting headache because she had needles in her temples. Chakotay loses his hair and ages like crazy - Tom and B'Elanna can't stop making out, etc. Good stuff.

[quote name='Javery']Wasn't that a Voyager episode? "Scientific Method" is the one I'm thinking of when you described it. That was one of the better Voyager episodes - Janeway had a splitting headache because she had needles in her temples. Chakotay loses his hair and ages like crazy - Tom and B'Elanna can't stop making out, etc. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

which one was the one where they were all dreaming except Chatokay woke up and the Voyager crew was all on beds spread out across a canyon in a dream statisis

I saw a TNG episode last night where they save some guy from an escape shuttle and they liken him to Jesus. I always hated episodes like that.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']which one was the one where they were all dreaming except Chatokay woke up and the Voyager crew was all on beds spread out across a canyon in a dream statisis[/QUOTE]

"Waking Moments"?

[quote name='Javery']Wasn't that a Voyager episode? "Scientific Method" is the one I'm thinking of when you described it. That was one of the better Voyager episodes - Janeway had a splitting headache because she had needles in her temples. Chakotay loses his hair and ages like crazy - Tom and B'Elanna can't stop making out, etc. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about the one where Worf grabbed Mott the barbers hand because there was something weird about the scissors and, when scanned, they found that Riker's hand had been removed and reattached at some point. Then they went into the holodeck and reconstructed some experimentation table from repressed memories.

I never realized we had a ST thread.. "Galaxy's Child" is one thats always good for a laugh.

[quote name='nasum']for the love of god when will TNG start streaming on netflix?[/QUOTE]

^this

[quote name='nasum']for the love of god when will TNG start streaming on netflix?[/QUOTE]

TOS, TNG, Voyager and Enterprise will all become available on July 1st. DS9 will launch on October 1st. TOS and Enterprise will be available in HD.

[quote name='Javery']TOS, TNG, Voyager and Enterprise will all become available on July 1st. DS9 will launch on October 1st. TOS and Enterprise will be available in HD.[/QUOTE]

suhweeeet!
That'll make for an awesome fourth of july weekend TV time!

It's gonna take forever, but I think I'll use the Netflix release to finally watch DS9 from beginning to end. By October Breaking Bad should be done, so I'll make DS9 into "my show" for a while. A loooong while.

[quote name='Mayson']I was thinking about the one where Worf grabbed Mott the barbers hand because there was something weird about the scissors and, when scanned, they found that Riker's hand had been removed and reattached at some point. Then they went into the holodeck and reconstructed some experimentation table from repressed memories.[/QUOTE]

That was "Schisms", pretty freaky episode.

My favorite was "The Chase". The episode that revealed all the humanoid races (Human, Klingon, Romulan etc.) were descended from an ancient race that seeded the galaxy with their DNA. As a thirteen year old ST fan(1993), that one really blew me away... I always felt that would have made a great series finale. Of course "All Good Things..." (bringing it around full-circle) was a great way to end it.

[quote name='dothog']It's gonna take forever, but I think I'll use the Netflix release to finally watch DS9 from beginning to end. By October Breaking Bad should be done, so I'll make DS9 into "my show" for a while. A loooong while.[/QUOTE]

Same here. It is the only series that my wife hasn't seen and I've been talking it up. I can't wait!

[quote name='Javery']Same here. It is the only series that my wife hasn't seen and I've been talking it up. I can't wait![/QUOTE]

I'm guilty of watching it in patches, so I want to take it all the way through. I should've just stuck it out when it was broadcast, but anytime Vic Fontaine would peep in or Sisqo went through another baseball metaphor, I'd flip away for a few weeks to a month and wind up missing a lot. And back then, no .avi's to catch up, so if I tried to jump in and was missing backstory, I had basically missed a half season because I got distracted on a given day.

If anyone's up for DS9 discussion...

I still don't understand that show's fascination with the Vic Fontaine guy, I still think it's weaksauce. First, I'm not a big fan of holodeck characters, much less holodeck episodes. Second, I don't care for the whole Vegas/Sinatra/Rat Pack vibe, it's not entertaining to me whether it's in DS9 or any other show.

I'll admit I didn't try hard to "get to know" that character, I usually just flipped away, but on paper it's such a weird inclusion in the show. It feels really forced, like the writers were accommodating someone's bad idea. I can see doing a ratpack vibe for a one-off Holo episode, or I can see making a holo character a minor regular (Voyager's HoloDoc), but putting the two together is strange.

EDIT: Also, I've been thinking about it some more, and I didn't like that everybody just *loved* Vic. He was supposed to be such a cool cat. For bar scenes, I preferred Quark. But we'll see how it goes on this full walkthrough. I think it'll be fun, though it'll take forever. Hard to believe that show premiered almost 20 years ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, the episodes involving him were alright. Not as good as the Moriarty episodes from TNG though. They tried the same thing with Voyager eventually and it was even worse.

I admit that I'm a little torn on Vic.

On the one hand, I do like jazz standards, so I loved the music. That said, there were times it seemed completely unnecessary. No disrespect to James Darren, who did a bang-up job singing, but if I want to listen to standards, I have an mp3 player. I am glad it was used for flavor, but I wish that some of the time had been given back to storytelling.

On the other hand, I generally despise the holodeck and holodeck characters. In Trek, they just don't commit to following through on what it would mean to have sentient holograms running around. (Even The Doctor, but that's a whole 'nother discussion). The idea that Julian can go around making sentient buddies who are always on and are advising the crew should be appalling.

I think some of the uses of the Vic program were good. The Nog episode is one that really should have failed and turned out pretty well. I also may be in the minority here, but I think using Vic major spoiler you were warned
as the means for getting Kira and Odo together
not only worked, but was charming.

Holodeck stories almost always lead to lazy storytelling and the inevitable malfunctions and problems with the safeties off. This of course had to happen to Vic, too, with complete wastes of time like Badda Bing Badda Bang. Apart from that, Vic's presence made Ezri's position as a counselor seem unnecessary, though that in itself is somewhat insane. "I'm sorry Ezri. We don't need a counselor on DS9. We have a holographic lounge singer." And that thing with Vic in the mirror universe? Whose brain fart was that?

I think Vic worked a lot better than all of the Voyager attempts at holodeck "shared experiences". Of course, Fair Haven makes anything look better by comparison.

All things considered, DS9 had comparatively few holodeck shenanigans, so I think overall Vic's inclusion was a good thing, though I think he ate up too much screen time. It's hard to hate on him too much when we've got oodles of "holodeck run amuck" stories that were all so much worse.

I pray to Kahless that the next Trek series does not have a holodeck or holograms ever. Please.

[quote name='blandstalker']I admit that I'm a little torn on Vic.

On the one hand, I do like jazz standards, so I loved the music. That said, there were times it seemed completely unnecessary. No disrespect to James Darren, who did a bang-up job singing, but if I want to listen to standards, I have an mp3 player. I am glad it was used for flavor, but I wish that some of the time had been given back to storytelling.

On the other hand, I generally despise the holodeck and holodeck characters. In Trek, they just don't commit to following through on what it would mean to have sentient holograms running around. (Even The Doctor, but that's a whole 'nother discussion). The idea that Julian can go around making sentient buddies who are always on and are advising the crew should be appalling.

I think some of the uses of the Vic program were good. The Nog episode is one that really should have failed and turned out pretty well. I also may be in the minority here, but I think using Vic major spoiler you were warned
as the means for getting Kira and Odo together
not only worked, but was charming.

Holodeck stories almost always lead to lazy storytelling and the inevitable malfunctions and problems with the safeties off. This of course had to happen to Vic, too, with complete wastes of time like Badda Bing Badda Bang. Apart from that, Vic's presence made Ezri's position as a counselor seem unnecessary, though that in itself is somewhat insane. "I'm sorry Ezri. We don't need a counselor on DS9. We have a holographic lounge singer." And that thing with Vic in the mirror universe? Whose brain fart was that?

I think Vic worked a lot better than all of the Voyager attempts at holodeck "shared experiences". Of course, Fair Haven makes anything look better by comparison.

All things considered, DS9 had comparatively few holodeck shenanigans, so I think overall Vic's inclusion was a good thing, though I think he ate up too much screen time. It's hard to hate on him too much when we've got oodles of "holodeck run amuck" stories that were all so much worse.

I pray to Kahless that the next Trek series does not have a holodeck or holograms ever. Please.[/QUOTE]

there will prolly never be another Trek series...

...but the movie reboot saved us

bread's done
Back