The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Don't worry the mods will storm in here and put us in our place if we abuse the tags.[/QUOTE]

Does CAG have undercover Mods? I've never seen a mod the whole time I've been here, though I rarely venture out of this thread. When post disappear and the number of pages rollback I've always assumed it was the thread glitching or people deleting their post.

Not sure if posted before, but Castle Crashers is coming to PC/Steam.. glad I held off on buying it on PSN.

http://kotaku.com/5935223/castle-crashers-is-coming-to-the-pc

It'd be a good indie bundle candidate!

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Does CAG have undercover Mods? I've never seen a mod the whole time I've been here, though I rarely venture out of this thread. When post disappear and the number of pages rollback I've always assumed it was the thread glitching or people deleting their post.[/QUOTE]

Mods usually delete/clean up posts without giving any notification, although they sometimes will post about it afterward.

[quote name='sunghost']Not sure if posted before, but Castle Crashers is coming to PC/Steam.. glad I held off on buying it on PSN.

Mods usually delete/clean up posts without giving any notification, although they sometimes will post about it afterward.[/QUOTE]
Fantastic, sounds like a perfect candidate for a Humble Bundle, or a $2.50 buy from me.

OMG ... that video ... I shouldn't have clicked the link last night ... I can't ... get ... it ... out ... of ... my ... head ... and I kinda like it ;-p

[quote name='sunghost']Not sure if posted before, but Castle Crashers is coming to PC/Steam.. glad I held off on buying it on PSN.

Mods usually delete/clean up posts without giving any notification, although they sometimes will post about it afterward.[/QUOTE]

I already have it on xbox but I would probably be willing to get it again on steam.

[quote name='etcrane']OMG ... that video ... I shouldn't have clicked the link last night ... I can't ... get ... it ... out ... of ... my ... head ... and I kinda like it ;-p[/QUOTE]
I heard it before but it just got back in my fucking head watching it again. It's kinda weird because I usually hate music like this, but this song I can't get out of my head. Maybe partially because it's Korean, and well I am more open to listening to crappy foreign music then crappy American music :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I heard it before but it just got back in my fucking head watching it again. It's kinda weird because I usually hate music like this, but this song I can't get out of my head. Maybe partially because it's Korean, and well I am more open to listening to crappy foreign music then crappy American music :lol:.[/QUOTE]

K-Pop is incredibly overproduced, but though that it has been gaining some fairly significant international appeal, at least in the Pacific Rim. imo, even J-Pop doesn't match K-Pop in feeling overproduced (and derivative). Like J-Pop it tends hit that smooth combination of familiar elements and is enjoyable in small doses.

Here's a short 2:25 explainer

The full 25 min piece is on AJE.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Because we all know this thread actually needs tags to be found. :D[/QUOTE]
hey, where'd our steam-noob-elitist-entitled-whiner tag go?

[/QUOTE]

FINALLY! After finding out about this game a year or so ago I kept hoping they would see the light and make a PC version for Steam. They dragged their feet stubbornly for some time but GabeN loves a sinner come to their senses. Praise be to Valve.

[quote name='NamPaehc']My girl needs help with getting achievements in Magical Diary, any suggestions on where to look? Said on global that stats are low on some of them on who has unlocked them and not any where to look to find help on them.[/QUOTE]

Which ones are you trying to unlock?

I used this guide when I needed help for a few of dungeons
http://spikycaterpillar.com/magical_diary/guide.html

It is written by the Girl who designed the game so :bouncy: be careful of spoilers though.

[quote name='asheskitty']Heads up, Uplay is running four $1 promos for the next four days, H.A.W.X. 2, From Dust, Silent Hunter 5, and Driver: San Francisco. Details over in this CAG Thread.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for letting me know! Just bought HAWX2. Downloading slooooowwwly (120kb/s ...). Sadly, the serial no does not activate on Steam.

It's really hard for me to get excited about a game that's four years old just finally coming to PC. I remember playing through on 360, getting to New Game+, and then never playing it again when the save game bug ate my file. Bad memories there.

[quote name='krevee']I already have it on xbox but I would probably be willing to get it again on steam.[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way, definitely a fun game.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']
I was half-way done researching and typing a good few paragraphs on why I think you are bsing having had a 28.8 connection at the time you describe for leet cred; but then I just figured it wasn't worth it. So ya, I don't buy what you are saying. On the other hand, if you had 28.8 at the time, I am truely sorry for your loss. I was lucky to get 56k early on; but had it till about 2004/2005...now if you told me you had 56k around the time I'd believe it.[/QUOTE]

I wish it was a line of bs. At the time I lived in a small town in PA, Cambridge Springs. My wife were just married and on a tight budget. The only high speed option in our area was offered by Coaxial Cable and the prices were astronomical. I think the cheapest option was around $60 for something maybe barely over 100k. I ended up with PeoplePc for $10 a month. The only local access number was in Meadville and it was only 28.8.

I used to play City of Heroes on that connection. It worked out for the most part except for the updates. I think they would download at a rate of around 6kbps, so, needless to say, I didn't play on update days.

Nyu Media is apparently going to release 4 more Japanese games in the fall. Two space 2D spaceship shooters, an action RPG and a platformer.

Big assed image with the info so in case you'd rather click through to a new page than click the spoiler tage here's a link:
http://www.nyu-media.com/NM_wave2.png

NM_wave2.png

The rep said on the Steam forums that they are also still working on getting Capcom to get Cherry Tree High Comedy Club on Steam but didn't have a set date. Anyway, these new ones will be self published and not go through Capcom.

[quote name='louiedog']After more playing around I was still unable to get my Steam AGS games to play well with my current Android combo of game, app, and hardware. However, I'm an idiot and forget that most of these are from indie bundles. My DRM-free copies of Gemini Rue, The Blackwell Trilogy, and Resonance all work fine.[/QUOTE]

Okay that's good to know. I will definitely have to install it soon. I want to compare official Android Broken Sword with the AGS app version.

Also want to get Nancy the Happy Whore mobile.

[quote name='pantsattack']Totally. I'm passing because I just DLed u-play for dollar games this week, and I only add one digital game distributor a season. Or something like that.

Once someone gets Nancy and her bundle friends working on Android I'd like to hear about it.[/QUOTE]

Working on it. ;)

[quote name='Preedatore']I wish it was a line of bs. At the time I lived in a small town in PA, Cambridge Springs. My wife were just married and on a tight budget. The only high speed option in our area was offered by Coaxial Cable and the prices were astronomical. I think the cheapest option was around $60 for something maybe barely over 100k. I ended up with PeoplePc for $10 a month. The only local access number was in Meadville and it was only 28.8.

I used to play City of Heroes on that connection. It worked out for the most part except for the updates. I think they would download at a rate of around 6kbps, so, needless to say, I didn't play on update days.[/QUOTE]

It's possible. I knew people who had crappy internet well into the 2000s. I've always said (well always since the 90s :p) Hell is being forced to have only dial up internet. If I had to go back to it I think I would just pass and resort to TV, books and games on CD. It still drives me up the wall when I'm travelling and my phone gets into an area that only had Edge. Eww.

I know, I know. First World Problems.

Anyway, whenever I see Europeans going into a huge rage about Steam umpteen takes a day like they are prone to do, I suppose I should try and keep in mind that many areas there may be years behind the US in terms of access to high speed internet and they are as outraged now at games requiring Steam as people here were 8 or so years ago here when Valve games started requiring it.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Does CAG have undercover Mods? I've never seen a mod the whole time I've been here, though I rarely venture out of this thread. When post disappear and the number of pages rollback I've always assumed it was the thread glitching or people deleting their post.[/QUOTE]

They are not undercover, but they rarely post when they do something. Usually they come in and clean up posts in threads (hence the glitches) on a random basis since there are so many threads/so little mods. In my time here I have been personally warned by mods through PM twice. Once for "abusing" the tagging system by placing a joke tag on a thread. I was threatened with having my tagging privileges taken away... the horror...

So I need some advice. I'm looking for a multiplayer FPS game that you can play for 5-10 minutes and be done with it. Nothing that takes an extended period of time, just something that you can hop on for and play a handful of matches and log off without having to spend time "getting into it", like Battlefield 3 for example, I love the game but it takes me 30-60 minutes to actually get into the swing of the game no matter how much I play it.

I want to get a Call of Duty game, but I played every single one for 360 and I am just sick of them. I hated MW3 and MW2, I loved COD4, and BLOPS was great. WaW is probably dead by now. Anyone have any alternate suggestions besides those?

I had a 56k modem up until 2005-2006 but due to the phone lines it would often connect at 28-33k. when it connected at 42k, it was time for celebration. So the issue might have been the lines as much as anything else.

I wound up upgrading when my (then future) wife moved in with me and announced that network TV over the antennae and dial-up wasn't going to work for her big city ways. Cable TV/internet it was then, after that.

Oh, and I also played CoH over my dial-up and Everquest before that.

[quote name='Motoki']Nyu Media is apparently going to release 4 more Japanese games in the fall. Two space 2D spaceship shooters, an action RPG and a platformer.

Big assed image with the info so in case you'd rather click through to a new page than click the spoiler tage here's a link:
http://www.nyu-media.com/NM_wave2.png[/QUOTE]

They look interesting enough.

[quote name='Lazer77']So I need some advice. I'm looking for a multiplayer FPS game that you can play for 5-10 minutes and be done with it. Nothing that takes an extended period of time, just something that you can hop on for and play a handful of matches and log off without having to spend time "getting into it", like Battlefield 3 for example, I love the game but it takes me 30-60 minutes to actually get into the swing of the game no matter how much I play it.

I want to get a Call of Duty game, but I played every single one for 360 and I am just sick of them. I hated MW3 and MW2, I loved COD4, and BLOPS was great. WaW is probably dead by now. Anyone have any alternate suggestions besides those?[/QUOTE]

Maybe Team Fortress 2 will work. Though at this point it may be well beyond the casual user. I haven't played it in a while and it's a whole different game than what I played. Either way it's free to play, so no loss if you don't like it.

[quote name='Motoki']Nyu Media is apparently going to release 4 more Japanese games in the fall. Two space 2D spaceship shooters, an action RPG and a platformer.

http://www.nyu-media.com/NM_wave2.png

NM_wave2.png

[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you didn't post the description for the platformer:

Prepare to be trolled!
A charming 2D platformer with addictively frustrating gameplay!
You will die a LOT... and you will come back for more!

[quote name='Lazer77']So I need some advice. I'm looking for a multiplayer FPS game that you can play for 5-10 minutes and be done with it. Nothing that takes an extended period of time, just something that you can hop on for and play a handful of matches and log off without having to spend time "getting into it", like Battlefield 3 for example, I love the game but it takes me 30-60 minutes to actually get into the swing of the game no matter how much I play it.

I want to get a Call of Duty game, but I played every single one for 360 and I am just sick of them. I hated MW3 and MW2, I loved COD4, and BLOPS was great. WaW is probably dead by now. Anyone have any alternate suggestions besides those?[/QUOTE]

Are you planning on hosting or are you joining games? I find that outside of Arena shooters, most games I join tend to run on the longer side.

Killing Floor is one FPS where some short games can be found, but other times the stages can be set pretty long. Still I think 15-20 minutes would be a longer stage there as opposed to 30-60.

Also, thought about checking Blacklight Retribution and that's F2P. So you might want to check it out since it won't cost you a thing to give it a try.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I'm surprised you didn't post the description for the platformer:

Prepare to be trolled!
A charming 2D platformer with addictively frustrating gameplay!
You will die a LOT... and you will come back for more![/QUOTE]

I know devs think this sort of thing is cute but it's precisely the sort of thing that makes me NOT want to play a game ever. Any dev who gleefully describes his product as "addictively frustrating" has pretty much lost me as a customer already. If I want to be frustrated I'll go deal with my RL problems.

[quote name='Preedatore']Maybe Team Fortress 2 will work. Though at this point it may be well beyond the casual user. I haven't played it in a while and it's a whole different game than what I played. Either way it's free to play, so no loss if you don't like it.[/QUOTE]

I think Team Fortress might fit the bill for what he's describing, especially the new co-op "horde" mode. It's not a steep learning curve, depending on your class, and the regular matches don't seem to take very long.

[quote name='warreni']I know devs think this sort of thing is cute but it's precisely the sort of thing that makes me NOT want to play a game ever. Any dev who gleefully describes his product as "addictively frustrating" has pretty much lost me as a customer already. If I want to be frustrated I'll go deal with my RL problems.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, developers always appeal to a specific type of gamer regardless of the game. I take it you wouldn't want to touch Dark Souls when it releases since it falls under a similar 'You're going to die. A lot' niche. I find that it's better they are up front about it so it doesn't lead in unsuspecting people who aren't into that type of thing.

[quote name='warreni']I know devs think this sort of thing is cute but it's precisely the sort of thing that makes me NOT want to play a game ever. Any dev who gleefully describes his product as "addictively frustrating" has pretty much lost me as a customer already. If I want to be frustrated I'll go deal with my RL problems.[/QUOTE]

I generally agree, but in this case I'm interested in the game due to its origins and delightful art style. Asked the publisher to add me to their press list - maybe they'll hook me up.

[quote name='warreni']I know devs think this sort of thing is cute but it's precisely the sort of thing that makes me NOT want to play a game ever. Any dev who gleefully describes his product as "addictively frustrating" has pretty much lost me as a customer already. If I want to be frustrated I'll go deal with my RL problems.
[/QUOTE]

Well some people like it. But then again some people like Spacechem too. :p

But I kind of agree with Eastx in that the art style attracts me a bit even though I most likely will get my ass kicked repeatedly. :wall:

Edit: To further expand, I think this trend (if there are even enough games to call it a trend yet) is a backlash against so-called 'dumbing-down' and making games super easy for the lowest common denominator that publishers have been doing because they are catering to an instant gratification generation and are afraid if someone actually finds their game challenging they will put it down and not buy another in the series, badmouth it online etc.

A lot of those old school games were hard as hell. I don't know that I'd necessarily want to go back to that, but at the time in my younger days I did enjoy it.

[quote name='Preedatore']Maybe Team Fortress 2 will work. Though at this point it may be well beyond the casual user. I haven't played it in a while and it's a whole different game than what I played. Either way it's free to play, so no loss if you don't like it.[/QUOTE]
Public servers should still have enough casuals/new players that he can fit in. Yeah, some people whine about new players -- they can stuff it. Besides, it's a shooter game with cartoonesque characters and silly hats; if anyone takes it too seriously, that's their problem. A mode like "King of the Hill" usually takes 6-8 minutes or so to complete a match.
[quote name='Motoki']Edit: To further expand, I think this trend (if there are even enough games to call it a trend yet) is a backlash against so-called 'dumbing-down' and making games super easy for the lowest common denominator that publishers have been doing because they are catering to an instant gratification generation and are afraid if someone actually finds their game challenging they will put it down and not buy another in the series, badmouth it online etc.[/QUOTE]
I think it comes from both ends of the spectrum. Yeah, you have 12 year olds who want instant gratification. You also have 35-45 year olds who still enjoy video games (raised on Atari, etc) but don't have hour after hour after hour to spend learning to perfect a jump or movement sequence to defeat a boss. You've got 90 minutes between the kids being in bed, the spouse busy watching American Idol and you needing to get to sleep for that early morning meeting -- you want to spend it playing a game, not exercising your frustration skills.

[quote name='Motoki']Well some people like it. But then again some people like Spacechem too. :p

But I kind of agree with Eastx in that the art style attracts me a bit even though I most likely will get my ass kicked repeatedly. :wall:

Edit: To further expand, I think this trend (if there are even enough games to call it a trend yet) is a backlash against so-called 'dumbing-down' and making games super easy for the lowest common denominator that publishers have been doing because they are catering to an instant gratification generation and are afraid if someone actually finds their game challenging they will put it down and not buy another in the series, badmouth it online etc.

A lot of those old school games were hard as hell. I don't know that I'd necessarily want to go back to that, but at the time in my younger days I did enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I always assumed that's what difficulty levels were for? For example, I'm having a hard, but mostly still fun, time with YS: Oath on the very easy level. I don't think I would have lasted 10 minutes with the game if it was too hard though. Right now I'm on 9 hours (4 of which were me lost and dying repeatedly when I couldn't find a save point). I know I'm not that great of a gamer, so I appreciate it when devs recognize it. lol

[quote name='Syntax Error']I think it comes from both ends of the spectrum. Yeah, you have 12 year olds who want instant gratification. You also have 35-45 year olds who still enjoy video games (raised on Atari, etc) but don't have hour after hour after hour to spend learning to perfect a jump or movement sequence to defeat a boss. You've got 90 minutes between the kids being in bed, the spouse busy watching American Idol and you needing to get to sleep for that early morning meeting -- you want to spend it playing a game, not exercising your frustration skills.[/QUOTE]

And then you have the 35-40 year olds who remember playing those hard assed games and enjoying them and forget that they don't have all damned day to sit and learn the exact methods to get through those games nor do they have patience to do it so they buy hard games anyway out of nostalgia and then get annoyed.
*raises hand* ;)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I always assumed that's what difficulty levels were for? For example, I'm having a hard, but mostly still fun, time with YS: Oath on the very easy level. I don't think I would have lasted 10 minutes with the game if it was too hard though. Right now I'm on 9 hours (4 of which were me lost and dying repeatedly when I couldn't find a save point). I know I'm not that great of a gamer, so I appreciate it when devs recognize it. lol[/QUOTE]

I like how Ys has some achievements basically joking about how lame of a gamer you are if you play on easy or die too much. At least Felghana did. It might hurt some people's pride but I completely acknowledge I suck and found it funny.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I always assumed that's what difficulty levels were for? For example, I'm having a hard, but mostly still fun, time with YS: Oath on the very easy level. I don't think I would have lasted 10 minutes with the game if it was too hard though. Right now I'm on 9 hours (4 of which were me lost and dying repeatedly when I couldn't find a save point). I know I'm not that great of a gamer, so I appreciate it when devs recognize it. lol[/QUOTE]

The actual presence of multiple difficulty levels that accommodate less skilled players actually offends some people. And I want to hit those people.

[quote name='eastx']The actual presence of multiple difficulty levels that accommodate less skilled players actually offends some people. And I want to hit those people.[/QUOTE]
Difficulty levels should go Hard, Extreme, Nightmare, Extreme Nightmare, Blind (No Video) and Extreme Blind Nightmare Reformat Your Drive If You Die mode.

Anything else is for pansies and scrubs.

[quote name='Motoki']And then you have the 35-40 year olds who remember playing those hard assed games and enjoying them and forget that they don't have all damned day to sit and learn the exact methods to get through those games nor do they have patience to do it so they buy hard games anyway out of nostalgia and then get annoyed.
*raises hand* ;)

I like how Ys has some achievements basically joking about how lame of a gamer you are if you play on easy or die too much. At least Felghana did. It might hurt some people's pride but I completely acknowledge I suck and found it funny.[/QUOTE]

See I was the kid who just quit playing when it got too hard. lol. And yeah, I have a few of those achievements. The funny thing is Sunghost told me about one and we laughed it up and then 2 bosses later I unlocked it!

[quote name='eastx']The actual presence of multiple difficulty levels that accommodate less skilled players actually offends some people. And I want to hit those people.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't see why it would offend them. I could see them being frustrated if they dumbed the entire game down on every level, but if they make the game and then accommodate us bad gamers with some easier levels I see no problem.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Difficulty levels should go Hard, Extreme, Nightmare, Extreme Nightmare, Blind (No Video) and Extreme Blind Nightmare Reformat Your Drive If You Die mode.

Anything else is for pansies and scrubs.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, but there's a psychological element to those difficulty levels. I've seen games where people bitched to high hell about how hard it is and then when I asked if they played on easy they said no and seemed offended at the suggestion. I also notice that some developers seem to have caught onto this and will either call it something more ego friendly like 'story mode' or else they will bump up easy to average, average to hard and then hard to nightmare. It's kind of like how some clothing manufacturers intentionally label clothes smaller than they really are to make people feel better about buying them.

As for me, I've gotten to the point where I have such a backlog that if I have to play on 'Pantywaste n00b lamer HAHA YOU SUCK' mode to get through the game vs let it sit there going to waste, I'll happily do it.

Anyway, I am a gamer who is more about the experience than the challenge these days. I mean hell I play adventure games.

These localized Japanese indie games have been good to me on average. Will at least try every nyu media game.

Rockin Android needs to hurry up and get Bunny Must Die out and get ahead of this wave.

The crowd they are probably going for are Megaman fans. I suck at Megaman, yet I still buy the games on occasion, even if I can't get anywhere in the game.

And yeah, there are platformers which are hard, but are addictive enough to keep you coming back for that one more try at it. The key is to not make it TOO frustrating.

BTW, do any of you sleep? Four pages overnight...

Wolfenstein-Difficulty.png

I've been "Can I play, Daddy?" since the 1990s and it never hurt my ego...lol.

I try not to do the easiest level all the time, but sometimes I do have to start over and tone it down a notch. My philosophy has always been that if I end up loving the game I will have no issue playing it over on a higher difficulty.

I dunno.. here's my perspective on difficulty:

When I was a kid, I averaged about 1 game a month. Mario took me 2 months. Dragon Warrior took me MONTHS. But it was one game at a time.

As an adult, and with the current line-up of games, these companies are stacking game on game on game on game. I certainly don't have that much time. Kid goes to bed at 8, I go to bed at 11. So that means my gaming is confined to that (and only if the wife doesn't need me to do adult stuff).

I just want to play a game, watch the story, and move on. Some games (like Skyrim) I intentionally spike the difficulty level. I WANT to die a lot in a cave while battling trolls. If I'm not paying attention I hope to get punched in the face by a dragon.

Other games (like some of the Ys) are hard for the sake of being hard. Demon Souls is fun for a bit but eventually you get frustrated to the point of just quitting. I have no idea what is after the belltower. I stopped playing. I'd rather play my kids mind numbing muppet game.

Just my opinion. But of course, I also don't mind being told I suck at some games (mostly FPSs) because I will grind the little kids bones into dust if they were to ever play me some Alpha Centari or Civ.

P.S. Even back in the day I never played anything past Megaman 3. Getting all the way to the end to discover you didn't defeat the bosses in the perfect order is not an incentive to get me to continuously play.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
I've been "Can I play, Daddy?" since the 1990s and it never hurt my ego...lol.

I try not to do the easiest level all the time, but sometimes I do have to start over and tone it down a notch. My philosophy has always been that if I end up loving the game I will have no issue playing it over on a higher difficulty.[/QUOTE]

Totally remember that game! Though instead of going to the "Can I play, Daddy" mode, I just turn on cheat codes and I'm invincible! :cool:

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I try not to do the easiest level all the time, but sometimes I do have to start over and tone it down a notch. My philosophy has always been that if I end up loving the game I will have no issue playing it over on a higher difficulty.[/QUOTE]

I wish more games let you change difficulty on the fly. A lot of the time if I find the difficulty of a game is too hard (usually easy/normal and hard for FPS) and it doesn't allow on the fly difficulty switching I'll abandon it and move on to something else. Too many games to play to waste my time replaying a significant portion of a game, because usually it takes a while for games these days to get out of the easy tutorial areas and get to a point where the true difficulty shows up.

I personally tend not to go above normal, harder difficulty can feel good when you beat it but the frustration tends not to be worth it. I want to have fun, not replay the same area over and over. Then again, some people do find that very fun.

On a different note, I am incredibly interested in Dishonored after knowing absolutely nothing about it before reading this article. If you wanted to avoid spoilers, I'd say don't read.
And it has an FOV slider! http://www.bethblog.com/2012/07/13/a-look-at-dishonoreds-many-ui-options/

[quote name='Draekon']The code that this forum is built off of doesn't handle large threads well. It used to be really bad where after a certain point threads would break entirely. Now it's not as bad, but they (CheapyD/John) still want us to recreate large threads after a certain point to help keep it from cropping up.

When we switch to the new forum, it will be able to handle large threads more efficiently. When the switch is going to happen... I have no idea. It was projected to already be done by now and their current ETA is a typical "soon" or "when it's done" type of response. So all we can really do is wait and bask in the rainbow lollipops and ride unicorns around in the mean time.[/QUOTE]

Ah cool, thanks for the info. Yeah, I figured it might be something of that nature as well and given that the "Steam Deal" threads seem to be quite a bit more frequented most other threads up here, that's not surprising - WOOT, shout out to CAG Steam community! :mrgreen:

[quote name='asheskitty']Catching up with your backlog is like chasing after the horizon, it's about the path not the destination.[/QUOTE]

But um...what if you can run and swim so fast that you're constantly lapping the horizon? :whistle2:o :razz: Lol j/k, I know what you mean...and sometimes for that very reason I just have to take a break because I get in a funk where I'm not getting much enjoyment out of my games, which obviously is the primary purpose of playing them, because I get so obsessed with trying to cut down my backlog...I'm sort of in that funk now and trying to just chill out a bit. I'm taking a vacation to the beach from this coming Saturday to the next Saturday so hopefully I'll be chilled out when I get back. :)

[quote name='Syntax Error']I had a 56k modem up until 2005-2006 but due to the phone lines it would often connect at 28-33k. when it connected at 42k, it was time for celebration. So the issue might have been the lines as much as anything else.[/QUOTE]

Heh, you think that's bad; after I graduated from college, it took me nearly 2 years to find a full-time job during which time I lived with my parents, who literally had the worst possible phone lines anybody could have in the US - meaning that they were the lowest quality phone lines that were still considered acceptable for use so I'm sure people in other places had lines that were just as bad, but none worse. This is because they lived out in bumfuck county and in pretty much the most bumfuck area in the middle of the woods in that county so due to that, there was no broadband available either. The max dial-up speed that was possible was 28.8Kbps (I believe that's right) but it NEVER connected at more than 24.0Kbps that I ever saw on any of our computers. On top of that, when it connected at anything above 18.xKbps, most likely it was going to drop the connection within 20 minutes so you might as well disconnect and reconnect if you were downloading anything. Oh yeah, plus I had to remember that anytime there was a thunderstorm, to unplug the phone line from the the modem for every computer since my mom's computer had several modems get fried and after I got my first one fried, I realized that since the thunderstorms would also ALWAYS knock out 1 if not both of my parents' phone lines...man I had it out with Sprint over that crap several times about how they should be obligated to either put in higher quality lines or compensate us for the modems and phones that had been fried...to no avail of course. :whistle2:x

So the worst part was having to go from the 100Mb ethernet LAN for the past 4 years in college, which was sadly far cheaper, to that complete garbage connection for the next 2 years (although I didn't pay for the dial-up, but still :razz:). And I never really used the internet during my latter high school years except for maybe a little school related research, which back then it was still easier for the most part to use the library, because there really wasn't much that interested me on the internet back in the mid-90's.

[quote name='Draekon']That's fine, developers always appeal to a specific type of gamer regardless of the game. I take it you wouldn't want to touch Dark Souls when it releases since it falls under a similar 'You're going to die. A lot' niche. I find that it's better they are up front about it so it doesn't lead in unsuspecting people who aren't into that type of thing.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. I can't see myself playing that on PC or PS3. I'm actually a tad leery of Dead Rising 2, because what I've read suggests that it's one of those games that's designed and built to be too hard to survive without dying.

[quote name='eastx']I generally agree, but in this case I'm interested in the game due to its origins and delightful art style. [/QUOTE]

Hm. IIRC, it was kinda anime-y. I'm not a huge fan of that in general.

[quote name='Motoki']To further expand, I think this trend (if there are even enough games to call it a trend yet) is a backlash against so-called 'dumbing-down' and making games super easy for the lowest common denominator that publishers have been doing because they are catering to an instant gratification generation and are afraid if someone actually finds their game challenging they will put it down and not buy another in the series, badmouth it online etc.

A lot of those old school games were hard as hell. I don't know that I'd necessarily want to go back to that, but at the time in my younger days I did enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're wrong. I think building in mechanics that drive people away from your game is a terrible idea. Then again I can only really speak for myself about this or anything else.

[quote name='Motoki']And then you have the 35-40 year olds who remember playing those hard assed games and enjoying them and forget that they don't have all damned day to sit and learn the exact methods to get through those games nor do they have patience to do it so they buy hard games anyway out of nostalgia and then get annoyed.
*raises hand* ;) [/QUOTE]

Hm. I'm as old as you, I expect, or slightly older, but I found really hard games in my youth to be as frustrating as I do today. I never played platform games, only adventure games, RPGs, and the odd arcade game/shooter. When I was 8-12, I probably played dozens to hundreds of games and finished very few of them. These days I'm much more interested in playing a few games that I like enough to finish and enjoy the experience.

[quote name='Motoki']
I like how Ys has some achievements basically joking about how lame of a gamer you are if you play on easy or die too much. At least Felghana did. It might hurt some people's pride but I completely acknowledge I suck and found it funny.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of games do this, although I don't think I've gotten such a trophy recently. The one that comes to mind is the original God of War.

Great addition to Steam. I played this a lot at my brother's on PS3 so it's very unlikely that I'll buy it on pc.

[quote name='plft']
On a different note, I am incredibly interested in Dishonored after knowing absolutely nothing about it before reading this article. If you wanted to avoid spoilers, I'd say don't read.

And it has an FOV slider! http://www.bethblog.com/2012/07/13/a-look-at-dishonoreds-many-ui-options/ [/QUOTE]

Personally, they had me at Whale Oil Lamp.

[quote name='warreni']
I hope you're wrong. I think building in mechanics that drive people away from your game is a terrible idea. Then again I can only really speak for myself about this or anything else.
[/QUOTE]

I think it's important to be able to separate the hyperbole and hype from what a game really is and who it is marketed to. No one is literally making a game with the intent to drive people away. I think they are just saying it is challenging, marketing to people who enjoy that and then just kind of getting a bit silly with some of the marketing.

That being said, if someone doesn't want an overly challenging game then such a game might not be for them and that's fine too. No one has to like every single niche of game out there but that doesn't mean that someone somewhere won't enjoy it or that it shouldn't be made.

[quote name='Motoki']Personally, they had me at Whale Oil Lamp.

I think it's important to be able to separate the hyperbole and hype from what a game really is and who it is marketed to. No one is literally making a game with the intent to drive people away. I think they are just saying it is challenging, marketing to people who enjoy that and then just kind of getting a bit silly with some of the marketing.

That being said, if someone doesn't want an overly challenging game then such a game might not be for them and that's fine too. No one has to like every single niche of game out there but that doesn't mean that someone somewhere won't enjoy it or that it shouldn't be made.[/QUOTE]

Did you actually get in on the Bestbuy pre-order? I was tempted. But then they knocked the PC version off the $20 off pre-order bonus. Now I'm tempted to get the console version and just sell it and keep the oil lamp. But I DON'T NEED A USB POWERED WHALE OIL LAMP!

While I'm also one of those who have time constraints on my gaming time, I'm of a different attitude. Since I typically only play a game once, I want at least the average experience for it. So, I almost always play on "normal". Also, if a game is too easy, it become tedious for me after a while.

I actually made the decision to play Legend Of Fae on Hard, because puzzle quest games have a tendency to be too easy. That being said, I might have bitten off more than I can chew right now with those damn dragon eggs. I found out that I have to actually destroy the eggs before they hatch. Course, once they hatch, those damn dragons wipe the floor with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back