The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62789

When can the first DLC content be expected?
The first DLC will start selling in January 2013, and is the main storyline of Issue #5. However, this content will already be fully unlocked for anyone who has a full game account registered before the end of December 2012.
[/QUOTE]

Oh and what time zone are they considering "the end of 2012"? Because if it's Euro Funcom time then that's a lot sooner than my PST end of 2012.

[quote name='Motoki']I may as well but does anyone else have it cheaper than Steam right now?

Besides GG. Don't even want to mess with them at this point.

Also I remember something about getting it on Steam when it came out there got you an in game Steam jacket. Do you still get that?

I reserve the right to care about useless virtual crap if it's free. :p[/QUOTE]

Amazon is also at $22.50, and GreenMan has it for $21 after the voucher, but for me the extra $1.50 is worth having it on Steam.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Does the steam version of psychonauts work with 360 controller??[/QUOTE]
Yes, it works very well.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Control yourselves people this is the Steam Sales Thread not I Love the 90s! Have some dignity........ also you forgot wishbone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, everyone knows the '70s and '80s is where it's at!

Hmmm, so Borderlands 2 question, from what I can tell there are only two versions of the game? WW-worldwide and RU-russian?

Activated my season pass from GG UK site and it showed up as WW and shows the DLC on my DLC tab from the amazon version I pre-ordered. Just wanted to be sure since I managed to get an extra one I'm going to offer up at cost.

[quote name='tipio']This game was featured on Drew of Gaint Bomb's Top 10 Games of 2012 list. It was also nominated for Best Multiplayer on Game Trailers.com I'm willing to try it out for $9 and gift a copy to a friend so that we can poke around a little online. There's a "warcry" button. SOLD.

The frantic action reminds me of early Unreal Tournmanet insta-gib matches. And the graphics are better than Mount & Blade by far.

I already put a post out there for a 4-pack if anyone is interested (see the Steam Group Buy thread). As stated above, I will have 2 extra slots for $9.25[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info - That explains quite a bit.

All of a sudden, I'm intrigued; Maybe I'll check out a gameplay video or two.

[quote name='cranky2']I wonder why Chivalry is on sale but not War of the Roses.[/QUOTE]

Paradox, as cheap as they can get later, is generally a bit stingy about discounts the first few months unless they have DLC to sell.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Also, delete your quote of the vids... not sure if that still breaks the forums or not. :)[/QUOTE]

I think that's only if you put it in spoiler tags but I'm on mobile so I probably wouldn't see if the thread was broken anyway.

[quote name='Corpekata']Today, I thank the Steam Market for making trades with Ruskies a little easier.[/QUOTE]

Is there shenanigans going on with that too? I thought you could just trade hats and crap. Or are there a bunch of Russians jonesin to trade games for virtual hats?

Chivalry is awesome for those of you on the fence. It is a fast paced and fun. The combat is good and very brutal. Nothing like walking away from a battle 2v1 and there is various body parts laying around from your 2 victims :D

TF2 keys are an accepted currency in Steam trades, which you can buy on the market. I had a few extras lying around from trading and picked up a copy of Anno for 6 keys -- much better than the $20 Steam was asking.

Something tells me my bank account isnt going to make it until the 5th...
Just bought castle crashers 4 pack...
Edit: all keys gone

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']Is there shenanigans going on with that too? I thought you could just trade hats and crap. Or are there a bunch of Russians jonesin to trade games for virtual hats?[/QUOTE]

Russians pay the same price as us for TF2 keys, so a lot of them sell their stuff for TF2 keys. So they'll often sell games for a slight markup (they're still profiting off me, but hey) in TF2 key values. They've always done this but it's never been an avenue I've explored since getting the keys at a decent price was a pain in the ass in the past (users sell them for much less than Valve does). Granted, it's always been easy with paypal but (long story) I don't use it so most of my avenues to trade with Russians were cut off or giant pains before. So now instead of trying to corral 15 keys for Far Cry 3 I can just buy them myself and still save a large chunk of dough.

[quote name='Corpekata']Paradox, as cheap as they can get later, is generally a bit stingy about discounts the first few months unless they have DLC to sell.[/QUOTE]
Just wait. If GamersGate keeps it up, we'll be seeing the Humble Paradox Bundle with War of the Roses as the BTA :lol:

Acknowledging the split spoils the joke.

Please everyone vote for Freedom Force. It never goes on sale for more than 50% and the high from the various sites show 66%...Been waiting forever for this one.

[quote name='Preedatore']I have a disc copy of Freedom Force, but I'd be all over it at 75% off.[/QUOTE]

I know I did it at $2, even tho I had the original on disc. A good game that everyone should play.

I can't seem to find a dedicated thread so I'll ask here since lots of people got it cheap from Steam:

Getting around to Knights of the Old Republic 2 and installed the content mod, but I'm wondering if there are any other mods or tweaks I should be doing to improve the experience. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='contej85']I can't seem to find a dedicated thread so I'll ask here since lots of people got it cheap from Steam:

Getting around to Knights of the Old Republic 2 and installed the content mod, but I'm wondering if there are any other mods or tweaks I should be doing to improve the experience. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Get the Droid planet mod as well. It's a side project to the Restored Content mod. Was just released a few days ago http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/277-m4-78-enhancement-project/

Off the top of my head, I believe all of the dailies have already been in Flash or Community Vote sales.

And lol at Fable III still at $12.

I'll never understand the Train Simulator and it's $800 bucks worth of DLC (and that's AFTER the 50% off). Who the hell would buy that? I remember 2012 being a running joke (and then the zombie one). Could there have been THAT many upgrades between 2012-2013 that warrants that kind of buy-in?

DOTA2 has broken the top 10 people.

[quote name='Arben']Not that I've actually been able to load the steam site for the past hour or so, but I'm predicting Deus Ex discounts for today's sales.[/QUOTE]

Whoops, that's an off-by-one error.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I'll never understand the Train Simulator and it's $800 bucks worth of DLC (and that's AFTER the 50% off). Who the hell would buy that?[/QUOTE]
You don't buy all $800 of DLC any more than you'd go into a hobby shop and buy every HO scale model off the shelves. I assume it caters to people who really like trains and who lack the space, time or lenient spouses to turn the basement into TrainLand.

Plus I understand there's an active modding community so you can play with the base game and get a lot of community-created things for free.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I'll never understand the Train Simulator and it's $800 bucks worth of DLC (and that's AFTER the 50% off). Who the hell would buy that? I remember 2012 being a running joke (and then the zombie one). Could there have been THAT many upgrades between 2012-2013 that warrants that kind of buy-in?

DOTA2 has broken the top 10 people.[/QUOTE]

Sims like that aren't really made for people like us. They are likely hobbyists that consider themselves Train fans before they do gamers.

Also, Train Simulator magically updates itself. I have a copy from the Great Train Sim2012 SteamGifts era when vast herds of Train Simulator 2012s walked the earth and it converted itself into the 2013 version automatically. So it's not to sell the 2012 people a new copy, it's just the most recent updated version of "Train Simulator".

Well that's actually pretty damned awesome then. It's always nice when a company takes care of it's faithful. (I somehow never won one on steamgifts)

I still don't get it. But that's just not my thing. Otherwise... yea... so anyone have anything else to say about this craptastic day? :)

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Does the steam version of psychonauts work with 360 controller??[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BrownDerby']Yes, it works very well.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any problems with it either.

It's really a matter of knowing your market and appealing to it. Like how so many old school RPGs made in modern times used to (or still do) cost 50 or 60 bucks. They know they're not going to sell to a huge market, but the market that IS there is generally very loyal and very willing to spend.

Granted, this can bite them in the ass a bit. I think it's clear Spiderweb Software is making more money now that their games are priced for the average consumer.

For those wanting to purchase The Secret World and get in on the bonuses, I just registered my account and the creation date was listed as 2012-12-31 18:18. Therefore you have a little over five and a half hours where you should still qualify. Meaning if you want to live on the edge, you can potentially wait until the next set of flash deals (I wouldn't recommend it).

Do you have to download the Secret World to register for that stuff or can you do it via the website once you've purchased it (since it's such a huge download, would be an issue).

So what is everyone waiting on to show up? I see a Max Payne request. Personally, I'm waiting for Afterfall Insanity and maybe a nice 75% off some Myst games. A sale on the new Rage DLC would be nice too, but I'm not expecting that from any retailer really.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']So what is everyone waiting on to show up? I see a Max Payne request. Personally, I'm waiting for Afterfall Insanity and maybe a nice 75% off some Myst games. A sale on the new Rage DLC would be nice too, but I'm not expecting that from any retailer really.[/QUOTE]

Legacy of Kain series. Granted, even if it doesn't make it I'll still bite for 50% off each game.

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']Tanking them forever to make Max Payne a daily. Was hoping to play it during the break.[/QUOTE]

It was 75% off one of the first days of the sale. Surprised there's been no sales on codemasters stuff yet. Would like dirt 3 and grid cheap.

[quote name='Corpekata']Do you have to download the Secret World to register for that stuff or can you do it via the website once you've purchased it (since it's such a huge download, would be an issue).[/QUOTE]

You have to start the download, but don't have to finish; it's about 18GB. Once you start the download, right click the entry in Steam to get a key. Then navigate to https://register.funcom.com/signup/ctrl/register/us/tsw/

Replace with the key Steam gives you. This is different from the main registration page. Some people on Steam forums were reporting their key didn't work when trying to register the normal way, but I can confirm this works.

[quote name='Genocidal']For those wanting to purchase The Secret World and get in on the bonuses, I just registered my account and the creation date was listed as 2012-12-31 18:18. Therefore you have a little over five and a half hours where you should still qualify. Meaning if you want to live on the edge, you can potentially wait until the next set of flash deals (I wouldn't recommend it).[/QUOTE]

All your talk of The Secret World made me buy it :D. I don't think it'll be on sale between now and 5 CST so I snatched it up.

It was pretty cumbersome to get the account all tied out (Find key on steam, enter key on Funcom site, link Funcom Site/TSW Account/Steam together, install on Steam, login to account on Funcom website) but I eventually did.

Regarding bonuses: I saw on the website under Account Details that the Initiate Pack and the Leather Jackets (steam pre-order?) were listed as redeemed/owned. So good news there.

Crikey. No TSW sale? Fo' shame! It's the last thing on my wishlist.

Can anybody help me out with regional pricing? It's 33% more in Queen's English pounds sterling :(

Edit: scratch that. I can grab it from GG for £12.49. That's good enough for me.

[quote name='oscargrouch']Am I just getting confused with flash deals, or have some of these already been dailies?[/QUOTE]

There have been repeats most of the last week.

[quote name='Genocidal']For those wanting to purchase The Secret World and get in on the bonuses, I just registered my account and the creation date was listed as 2012-12-31 18:18. Therefore you have a little over five and a half hours where you should still qualify. Meaning if you want to live on the edge, you can potentially wait until the next set of flash deals (I wouldn't recommend it).[/QUOTE]

I was just coming here to post the same. Their clock is on Euro time so you have a little over 5 hours left if you want to get in in time for the free episode.

I even went through the whole thing on mobile getting on splash top to get the CD key from steam and filling out the funcom registration form on my phone all of which was a bit of a pain but I got in before the end of 2012 their time.

[quote name='jdawgg76']It was 75% off one of the first days of the sale. Surprised there's been no sales on codemasters stuff yet. Would like dirt 3 and grid cheap.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I missed the flash sale they had from 12/24 8pm-12/25 8am. 15$ is more than I usually pay for a game but for some reason I really want to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back