The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hal']And lol at Fable III still at $12.[/QUOTE]

I came here thinking the same thing. I won't pay more than $4.99 for it.

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']Tanking them forever to make Max Payne a daily. Was hoping to play it during the break.[/QUOTE]

There was a sale on Christmas day. It must not have been a daily deal, but a flash.

[quote name='Corpekata']Sims like that aren't really made for people like us. They are likely hobbyists that consider themselves Train fans before they do gamers.[/QUOTE]

Also people don't buy all the dlc and aren't meant to. It's a bit like a physical model train hobbyist of course would not buy ever single train set ever made on Earth.

I think a lot of us have this idea, no doubt encouraged by publishers, that we simply must have every single piece of dlc ever or it's not the complete experience but a lot of games aren't like that and it's all meant to be optional and you just get what you like.

This comes up over and over again and I think some people have real difficulties with the concept of optional dlc.

Heads up on The Secret World thing. The free episode/content you get if you register before 2013 is going to cost $5. So if you are willing to wait till it goes for 50% off or more you will save money overall.

[quote name='Genocidal']For those wanting to purchase The Secret World and get in on the bonuses, I just registered my account and the creation date was listed as 2012-12-31 18:18. Therefore you have a little over five and a half hours where you should still qualify. Meaning if you want to live on the edge, you can potentially wait until the next set of flash deals (I wouldn't recommend it).[/QUOTE]

I love living on the edge.
Correct me if I am wrong. I think if you get the steam version, you can only purchase FC points with steam wallet.

BTW, for anyone who is a real cheap ass. The game director said that "if you are a free player and you absolutely refuse to pay for anything, you will eventually get access to the content, it will just take some time."

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/12/fu...sses-the-new-secret-world-subscription-model/

yeah if you don't care about Steam and the Intiate Pack (which is cosmetic stuff) you're likely better off getting in Amazon's sale on the 1st.

[quote name='Corpekata']yeah if you don't care about Steam and the Intiate Pack (which is cosmetic stuff) you're likely better off getting in Amazon's sale on the 1st.[/QUOTE]

in before that war starts up again....

[quote name='Neuro5i5']So what is everyone waiting on to show up? I see a Max Payne request. Personally, I'm waiting for Afterfall Insanity and maybe a nice 75% off some Myst games. A sale on the new Rage DLC would be nice too, but I'm not expecting that from any retailer really.[/QUOTE]

Still waiting patiently on Deadspace 1/2. I somehow missed playing this series and wanted to catch up before the new one's released in February.

[quote name='Spyder187']in before that war starts up again....[/QUOTE]

Well I just bought it on Steam now and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of that.

Since I'm not one other to tell other people where they should and shouldn't buy their games everyone else is free to buy it wherever they want for whatever reason as far a I am concerned.

[quote name='yangwenli']Please everyone vote for Freedom Force. It never goes on sale for more than 50% and the high from the various sites show 66%...Been waiting forever for this one.[/QUOTE]

It was 2.49 twice this year. I was pissed when I missed it the first time.

[quote name='Arkin']Still waiting patiently on Deadspace 1/2.[/QUOTE]

Since I'm basically buying back ups of console titles I already own, I need:

Red Faction (the original) at $2.50
Fallout GOTY for less than $5.00
Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway for $2.50
Dead Space Pack for under $10.00
Fallout: New Vegas for less than $5.00

I think that's about it, but I'll probably buy any bundle that's under $10.00 and any individual title without DRM that's under $2.00.

[quote name='Arkin']Still waiting patiently on Deadspace 1/2. I somehow missed playing this series and wanted to catch up before the new one's released in February.[/QUOTE]

I just re-picked them both up during the Halloween sale after completing both on PS3. Easily one of my favorite AAA franchises.

[quote name='Motoki']Well I just bought it on Steam now and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of that.
[/QUOTE]
Well I, for one, will be judging you. Like this:

6a00d83451b8c369e20147e2a0f4eb970b-pi

[quote name='Broken Cage']Since I'm basically buying back ups of console titles I already own, I need:

I think that's about it, but I'll probably buy any bundle that's under $10.00 and any individual title without DRM that's under $2.00.[/QUOTE]

Red Faction from GMG is $2.10 after the 30% off voucher. Yes, it is Steam...

So what games are people hoping to see go on a daily/flash deal that haven't yet? For me I have a small list, some of which I am surprised haven't turned up yet.

Back to the Future
Sam & Max Complete Pack
The Secret World
Lost Planet games
Might & Magic 6
Settlers 7
Silent Hunter
Condemned Criminal Origins

That is what I can think of off the top of my head I've been waiting for still.

[quote name='kaydigi']It was 2.49 twice this year. I was pissed when I missed it the first time.[/QUOTE]

I hope the 2 games will be 1.87. It's 2.49 now for 1 game and for some reason, I didn't see the sale at 2.49.

[quote name='KaOTiK']So what games are people hoping to see go on a daily/flash deal that haven't yet? For me I have a small list, some of which I am surprised haven't turned up yet.

Back to the Future
Sam & Max Complete Pack
The Secret World
Lost Planet games
Might & Magic 6
Settlers 7
Silent Hunter
Condemned Criminal Origins

That is what I can think of off the top of my head I've been waiting for still.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping the Telltale Pack gets a daily or flash.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Since I'm basically buying back ups of console titles I already own, I need:

I think that's about it, but I'll probably buy any bundle that's under $10.00 and any individual title without DRM that's under $2.00.[/QUOTE]

It is strange that the Fallout series hasn't shown up yet . . . it's usually there. If you do get it, you'll notice that Fallout III looks WAY better on PC than on Xbox, especially with some user-mods you can patch on.

I'm waiting for Torchlight 2 4-pack to come back... It was a flash deal on the 1st day of this sale (went out to buy a Steam wallet w/ my Gamestop credit, but got home too late), and haven't seen it as a daily or repeat deal yet surprisingly :(

Yeah this a pretty bland year end sales wise. You'd think some place would have something cool New Year's Eve when people are getting drunk and impairing their judgement.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I'll never understand the Train Simulator and it's $800 bucks worth of DLC (and that's AFTER the 50% off). [/QUOTE]

People don't buy all the DLC, they mostly deal with regions they know and follow and certain scenarios they want to accomplish.

Considering how robust the game itself is plus the workshop content alone it's one of the best values in gaming.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Looking at what everyone has today, I think I'm going to go through the day without buying anything from anywhere. I feel so empty inside.[/QUOTE]

I got this bridge in Brooklyn. Real nice paint job.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']It is strange that the Fallout series hasn't shown up yet . . . it's usually there. If you do get it, you'll notice that Fallout III looks WAY better on PC than on Xbox, especially with some user-mods you can patch on.[/QUOTE]

I just hope it runs alright on my Windows 7 gaming PC. I know the hardware is up to snuff, but Steam's "not optimized for Windows 7" warning makes me nervous.

Bought DE:HR Explosive mission pack (the only DLC from that game I didn't had) and Fable: The lost chapters. I played that game some years ago and find it awesome. For $2,5 I want to revive it again

There's a million work arounds for Fallout 3. Pretty much any game that's remotely popular will have fixes for that type of stuff via some dedicated fan eventually.

I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. I bought a game that activates on steam with the steam code but after i bought it i realized i already have it. If i try activating the steam code, will it go into my gift section on steam or will it waste it?

It will either tell you you already own the game and do nothing, or use the code and give you nothing. Your best bet is to give it away or try to sell it.

For symlinks in windows I find Link Shell Extension to be the most convenient.

Rocky's Boots!

@Dragonsbane, probably not the game you're thinking of, but Robot Odyssey is similar (no spiders though).

[quote name='Syntax Error']Just wait. If GamersGate keeps it up, we'll be seeing the Humble Paradox Bundle with War of the Roses as the BTA :lol:
Acknowledging the split spoils the joke.
[/QUOTE]

And you'll have to pay less than a set price to get steam keys =D

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I'll never understand the Train Simulator and it's $800 bucks worth of DLC (and that's AFTER the 50% off). Who the hell would buy that? I remember 2012 being a running joke (and then the zombie one). Could there have been THAT many upgrades between 2012-2013 that warrants that kind of buy-in?[/QUOTE]

Clearly you didn't buy it =) They give free upgrade to the base game every year.

[quote name='Genocidal']For those wanting to purchase The Secret World and get in on the bonuses, I just registered my account and the creation date was listed as 2012-12-31 18:18. Therefore you have a little over five and a half hours where you should still qualify. Meaning if you want to live on the edge, you can potentially wait until the next set of flash deals (I wouldn't recommend it).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that!

[quote name='Motoki']Also people don't buy all the dlc and aren't meant to. It's a bit like a physical model train hobbyist of course would not buy ever single train set ever made on Earth.

I think a lot of us have this idea, no doubt encouraged by publishers, that we simply must have every single piece of dlc ever or it's not the complete experience but a lot of games aren't like that and it's all meant to be optional and you just get what you like.

This comes up over and over again and I think some people have real difficulties with the concept of optional dlc.[/QUOTE]

I blame Pokemon.

[quote name='phantom4']I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. I bought a game that activates on steam with the steam code but after i bought it i realized i already have it. If i try activating the steam code, will it go into my gift section on steam or will it waste it?[/QUOTE]

Just don't input the code? I'm pretty sure it just tells you that you already own the title, but why risk it? Keep the code and trade it.

Edit: Beaten to the punch. I'm slow.

[quote name='phantom4']I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. I bought a game that activates on steam with the steam code but after i bought it i realized i already have it. If i try activating the steam code, will it go into my gift section on steam or will it waste it?[/QUOTE]

STEAM will reject the key and say you already own the game. No gifts in inventory.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I just hope it runs alright on my Windows 7 gaming PC. I know the hardware is up to snuff, but Steam's "not optimized for Windows 7" warning makes me nervous.[/QUOTE]

It runs fine for me (and many CAGs) on Win7-64. IIRC, the main gotcha is that it has issues with 3 & 4 core CPUs. There's a simple INI fix. Check SPUF.

[quote name='Blade']Why is DOTA 2 the community choice?[/QUOTE]

It was a hilarious joke at the time. We laughed cause it might be at the top of the charts...

Somehow it is #4 top seller right now. (pretty good for a F2P game that has free keys all over the net)

Considering picking up the first Fable since it is $2.50. Tried it on console when it first came out and enjoyed it.

Not everyone is a CAG and knows how easy it is to get a free copy of the game. Especially evident given it is the 4th bestseller currently.

[quote name='Corpekata']Not everyone is a CAG and knows how easy it is to get a free copy of the game. Especially evident given it is the 4th bestseller currently.[/QUOTE]
Enlighten me, I'd like a free copy.

I've yet to find a game on Steam that I absolutely couldn't get to work on Win 7 or 8 after doing a bit of investigation. And I own way, way too many games on Steam.

While I obviously haven't played them all extensively, I do generally at least try to download, install and run them once to make sure they work okay.

If you're really concerned about it I would say check the Steam forum for that game, both the old and new style forums. Workarounds will generally be posted there if you search.

[quote name='KaOTiK']So what games are people hoping to see go on a daily/flash deal that haven't yet? For me I have a small list, some of which I am surprised haven't turned up yet. [/QUOTE]

007 BloodStone & Quantum of Solace
RUSE
Deathspank games
Hunted the Demon's Forge
Darkspore
World in Conflict
Lost Planet 2

I know, not the all the best games, but I figure all of these have a good chance of going ultra cheap since they are older games and I would like to pick them up on the cheap. Steam has had enough repeats between the flash deals and the daily deals, they should incorporate some of the neglected/forgotten games.

[quote name='ral1121']Enlighten me, I'd like a free copy.[/QUOTE]

Well for instance this reddit thread linked to a site that was giving away 10k keys the other day http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/15p39l/computergamesro_giving_away_10000_dota_2_keys/

But they are gone it appears. Just ask around on forums like this really. Ton of people with extra copies as beta members were given extra to pass out. Probably someone that can help you out here. I myself took like 2 months to give away just 4.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I just hope it runs alright on my Windows 7 gaming PC. I know the hardware is up to snuff, but Steam's "not optimized for Windows 7" warning makes me nervous.[/QUOTE]

Runs fine for me on Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back