The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']The problem with games like Duke Nukem Forever and Diablo 3 is that when you've waited like 75% of Idiotekque's life span for a sequel you kind of expect a little more.[/QUOTE]

I do believe we have just enough time before the sale starts for a duel to the death between Motoki and Idiotekque.

God knows I've been thirsting for some bloodsport since they shut down the local cockfights. :bouncy:

[quote name='Motoki']So it's 12/20 (actually I'm lying because I'm on the West coast and it's still 12/19 right now but humor me) when is the sale starting? The thread title says 12/20!

Sorry, no one has asked in the last couple of pages so figured I would head it off for a bit. :p[/QUOTE]

Waiting as well. I heard 10am PST which is 11.5 hours from now?

[quote name='CaptainSlow']Do you or anyone have the link of the account tool that shows a pie graph of the games you've played and the games you haven't even touched? I remember seeing a link in a post a while ago but couldn't find it.[/QUOTE]

Of the achievement-whore sites, jsarabians and achievementstats.com give pie charts, but of chv %, not time played. I can't think of any that do the latter off the top of me head.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Steam sales typically start at 1:00 PM EST[/QUOTE]

I know I'm not the only one who checked his post history.

[quote name='Motoki']The problem with games like Duke Nukem Forever and Diablo 3 is that when you've waited like 75% of Idiotekque's life span for a sequel you kind of expect a little more.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even say it's so much that is that they just butchered what the series was about: shooting things in the face continuously. They introduced a bunch of gimmicky stuff that takes away from it. They seem to have forgotten what FPS stands for. Take something like Serious Sam. There's not a whole lot of difference between the main Croteam games but it delivers what people expect in spades.

[quote name='asheskitty']So I'm going to guess that you don't own any Iron Maidens (the only all-female Iron Maiden tribute band) albums? ...and have probably missed the joy of Scandinavian Metal.[/QUOTE]

I have never listened to Iron Maidens, but I don't believe I missed Scandinavian metal entirely. Dark Tranquility opening for Opeth is one of the better shows I've been to. Akerfeldt has an adorable stage presence.

I was mostly making a silly joke about how once I got out of high school I never really felt comfortable wearing metal t-shirts in public. Because it's kind of legitimately goofy.

And I'm pretty sure the majority of the regulars here are older than me, judging from posts.

[quote name='Mooby']I would tell you to get off my lawn![/QUOTE]

And I would go back to sleeping in a pile of glass and dried vomit, damnit!

EDIT: After I play through Pathologic I will have beaten every game in the Indie Royale Halloween bundle. I'm feeling really proud about that.

Oh and I'm sick of waiting already. Drunk last night and was doing the time conversions (I'm in Korea) to figure out when the steam sales started and swore it was 3pm today (20th). I was wrong....3am on the 21st obviously.

[quote name='starscream1101']Oh and I'm sick of waiting already. Drunk last night and was doing the time conversions (I'm in Korea) to figure out when the steam sales started and swore it was 3pm today (20th). I was wrong....3am on the 21st obviously.[/QUOTE]

Well you did do the conversions while drunk so I would expect that for sure.

[quote name='Mooby']If you could get $5 for DNF take it and run. It is bad. Is it the worst game ever made? No. Is it worse than the Duke Nuke'em they were giving away on GOG for free? Yes. Might have been better if they didn't break up the shooting parts with a bunch of platforming/vehicle/aimless wandering nonsense. That and a four gun limit... in an FPS... what?![/QUOTE]

Umm.. I can name plenty of FPS with a two gun limit.

How many can you name that aren't also on consoles? It's a horrible design limitation that we have to deal with because games are made with the control scheme of consoles in mind. DNF launched with a 2 gun limit that they upped to 4 on PC in a later patch, IIRC.

[quote name='jatan11t']Umm.. I can name plenty of FPS with a two gun limit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... bad ones.

[quote name='Genocidal']How many can you name that aren't also on consoles? It's a horrible design limitation that we have to deal with because games are made with the control scheme of consoles in mind. DNF launched with a 2 gun limit that they upped to 4 on PC in a later patch, IIRC.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Genocidal']How many can you name that aren't also on consoles? It's a horrible design limitation that we have to deal with because games are made with the control scheme of consoles in mind. DNF launched with a 2 gun limit that they upped to 4 on PC in a later patch, IIRC.[/QUOTE]

STALKER - 2 gun limit, PC only

It has become somewhat arbitrary. When Halo made it the normal thing to do, it made sense because Halo was a smartly designed game that made it work with the gameplay. Halo is probably a stronger game for it.

DNF doesn't make any decisions like that. It's mostly trying to be Half Life 2, which didn't have a gun limit because it wasn't designed to be that type of game.

It may be standard now, but forcing a 2 gun limit on the player comes with an obligation to make that design decision meaningful, which DNF does not do.

[quote name='travathian']STALKER - 2 gun limit, PC only[/QUOTE]

Stalker has an inventory.

That's like saying Fallout 3 has a 1 gun limit.

[quote name='travathian']STALKER - 2 gun limit, PC only[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm not remembering right Stalker is only limited by your inventory capacity and there is no predetermined limit.

I don't see how having 4 guns at a time is a bad thing when the Halo series, all Tom Clancy games, and the COD games give you a primary and secondary and you can only change the loadouts. It's no Bulletstorm, which it should've been, but I think that's a minor nuance in comparison to the game's other mediocre parts. I mean, there are more things to hate about the game than gun limitations...

[quote name='Idiotekque']
I am the only 21 year old that Motoki knows, apparently. Understandable.[/QUOTE]

Oh, God.

I might have some shocking news for him.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I am the only 21 year old that Motoki knows, apparently. Understandable.[/QUOTE]

Well we could always do ASL? to find out who is what.

But I rather like pointing out your age. :baby:

[quote name='Mooby']Yeah... bad ones.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you didn't specify. You just said that because it was an FPS and had a gun limit, it is a bad game. I happen to like Metro 2033 and the first Modern Warfare.

If you insist on PC only, there is:
Hard Reset is technically 2 weapons only. They just transform :p
Also Portal sort of counts as an FPS and there is only 1 weapon.
In Deus Ex, your inventory space would only allow you to carry like 4 weapons max.

But I don't see a point in comparing, because DNF is a console game too.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I won't be satisfied until this thread discussion is looking like a proper AIM chat room from back in the old days.[/QUOTE]

Serious question.

Why don't we ever chat in the BGCQ group chat?

It would clean up the thread a little.

[quote name='carl7117']are there going to be new sales every day? ive only lived through one of these things and i dont remember[/QUOTE]

Sale? What the hell are you talking about?

[quote name='Eldredpe']Yes, you AARP members need to stick together.[/QUOTE]

I qualify for AARP at the age of 22? My family said I'd never amount to anything. I sure showed them!

[quote name='carl7117']are there going to be new sales every day? ive only lived through one of these things and i dont remember[/QUOTE]

Yes those are the daily deals.

There will also be flash deals that last 8-12 hours-ish so there will be multiple sales rotating throughout the day in addition to the dailies.

If we cleaned up the thread then we wouldn't get the rants of people complaining how it's never updated and they have no way of telling what's for sale on Steam.

DNF is on consoles too. Why would I limit the list to PC games only? That's like comparing apples and oranges.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Serious question.

Why don't we ever chat in the BGCQ group chat?

It would clean up the thread a little.

Sale? What the hell are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

Serious answer: Laziness

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, it'd be too much pressure to talk on the spot. On here there's the relief of time delay :lol:

[quote name='Motoki']Yes those are the daily deals.

There will also be flash deals that last 8-12 hours-ish so there will be multiple sales rotating throughout the day in addition to the dailies.[/QUOTE]

thanks man

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I qualify for AARP at the age of 22? My family said I'd never amount to anything. I sure showed them![/QUOTE]

I was just following up on Mooby's "get off my lawn" bit.

Though, I really have never watched The Loveboat.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Serious answer: Laziness[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm going to start leaving it open.

[quote name='Mooby']If we cleaned up the thread then we wouldn't get the rants of people complaining how it's never updated and they have no way of telling what's for sale on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

[quote name='Eldredpe']I was just following up on Mooby's "get off my lawn" bit.[/QUOTE]

Don't make me collect social security! I swear I will.

[quote name='Mooby']Are you telling me this is not required viewing in film school?!! I'd ask for a refund.[/QUOTE]

I never took any critical theory courses on television sitcoms, actually.

So, maybe?

EDIT: And before anybody says anything, I have a degree in English as well. I doubled up and got TWO useless degrees.

EDIT2: Critical theory courses exploring the thematic depths of TV sitcoms were offered. For the record.

[quote name='Mooby']Are you telling me this is not required viewing in film school?!! I'd ask for a refund.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming it would require a graduate-level seminar to really cover the Love Boat in any serious depth.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I have never listened to Iron Maidens, but I don't believe I missed Scandinavian metal entirely. Dark Tranquility opening for Opeth is one of the better shows I've been to. Akerfeldt has an adorable stage presence.

I was mostly making a silly joke about how once I got out of high school I never really felt comfortable wearing metal t-shirts in public. Because it's kind of legitimately goofy.

And I'm pretty sure the majority of the regulars here are older than me, judging from posts.[/QUOTE]

=D

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I qualify for AARP at the age of 22? My family said I'd never amount to anything. I sure showed them![/QUOTE]

I wound up on an AARP mailing list by the ripe old age of 22. I think it was from the flu shot I got at the senior center.

[quote name='Mooby']Next thing you know, you people will be telling me you never saw Good Times[/QUOTE]
No way. They HAVE to have seen Good Times.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I have never seen Good Times.

That reference is the only thing I know from Good Times.

And it comes from parodies of Good Times.[/QUOTE]
:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back