The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Was I the only one who did not care for NFS:MW. I mean I liked the premise but I found the controls or vehicle handling to be way too stiff. Like I played many other racers but I found the cars (or vehicles I did drive) here to be way too hard to turn.

[quote name='Motoki']You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.[/QUOTE]

fuck. I was one of the ones pushing for this and I seriously missed it? How long was it even up for?

Argh I just got home and realized I missed YDKJ :( Just like Genocidal, it was one of the only games I was still hoping for from Amazon, since I had the DOW and THQ stuff already. I hope it comes back.

[quote name='jshackles']
AZ79k.png

Work in progress. I might have to pull in that "Metascore" graphic and make my own :cool:[/QUOTE]

Probably. It's a good start to prove the user score can be pulled in. It probably should be clearly noted which is the critic score, as opposed to "metascore" which is vague and implies a comprehensive score, and which is the user one.

[quote name='asheskitty']Last time I checked into NFS: Most Wanted (2012) a little before Xmas, they still haven't solved some horrible performance issues on the PC. The lowest I've seen it for on the PC is $20 and that's not low enough for me to risk it yet.

I find cases of a metacritic split greater than 10 (multiplying critics score by 10) to be interesting. Diablo III is another large split that comes to mind. There are a couple more. The sad case is when critic scores are low (claiming that the game doesn't do anything new) but the user scores are rather higher.

Interesting article and examples of critic/user splits is here:
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-critic-scores-vs-user-reviews[/QUOTE]

Oh definitely. That always gets my attention when I notice the scores are so far out of sync with each other and to try and look and figure out why that was the case.

In looking I found that in the majority of cases the two scores are pretty on par with each other, but there are definitely some glaring examples when they aren't.

It seemed like the critics in general were way more lenient on EA games, and also on ones with harsh DRM schemes.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Was I the only one who did not care for NFS:MW. I mean I liked the premise but I found the controls or vehicle handling to be way too stiff. Like I played many other racers but I found the cars (or vehicles I did drive) here to be way too hard to turn.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, if you look at the metacritic user reviews you are not alone. Most people are complaining about the controls, which the critics somehow seemed to gloss over.

[quote name='Genocidal']fuck. I was one of the ones pushing for this and I seriously missed it? How long was it even up for?[/QUOTE]

A couple of hours or so? Not long. I hope he gets more in for people who want it because I have no idea what's going to happen to it with the THQ auction coming up soon.

If I knew they were going to run out so fast I would have grabbed extras but I thought it was kind of an odd nichey casual game that a lot of gamers wouldn't be into. *shrug*

[quote name='Motoki']Probably. It's a good start to prove the user score can be pulled in. It probably should be clearly noted which is the critic score, as opposed to "metascore" which is vague and implies a comprehensive score, and which is the user one.
[/QUOTE]

This is from my latest code:

ZTYw3.png

Rather than pulling the data directly from Metacritic (as this will require YET ANOTHER permissions change) to the Chrome extension, I've set up a PHP page on EnhancedSteam.com that pulls the score, and the extension pulls the score from EnhancedSteam.com

SO what this means is the v1.8 of the Chrome extension will have another permissions change, but with the added permission being to EnhancedSteam.com which we'll use in the future for other stuff later.

[quote name='Motoki']

Oh no, if you look at the metacritic user reviews you are not alone. Most people are complaining about the controls, which the critics somehow seemed to gloss over.

[/QUOTE]
Oh good. I bought it for PS3 when it was $25. I pop it in, and about 5 minutes I am seriously going wtf my car wont turn. I spent about 20-30 minutes in that game before I gave up. I played Gran Turismo, Burnout Paradise, Shift 2, many other racers and none of them had such god awful control. I mean seriously I don't think I ever faced such stiff driving that it makes the game almost unplayable. Especially when they want you to boost and turn on a dime.

In other news, I still hate uPlay. I decided to pop in far cry 3 again, 275 MB patch. That is like the 3rd 275mb patch since it's launch which makes me wonder why.

I`m on the fence about buying Alice: Madness Returns The Complete Collection ($6.99 after Coupon)
I think I have 3 Hours to Decide
Is it worth getting for backlog or waiting for it to go on sale again later

[quote name='osso1']I`m on the fence about buying Alice: Madness Returns The Complete Collection ($6.99 after Coupon)
I think I have 3 Hours to Decide
Is it worth getting for backlog or waiting for it to go on sale again later[/QUOTE]

I bough it, I wanted the original game plus the extras that aren't available on Steam.

Enhanced Steam (for Chrome) has been updated to v 1.8 which adds Metacritic User Scores support.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE THIS INSTALLED ALREADY, you'll have to open your extension page and re-activate it and accept the new permissions to enhancedsteam.com

This should be the last time the permissions change, as any other off-site data will be filtered through EnhancedSteam.com :)

[quote name='jshackles']Thanks for the insights. I'm certainly looking to expand the Enhanced Steam user base and features.

I have a huge background in networking (I got my CCNA in 1998!) and I also (obviously) programmed EnhancedSteam.com so I decided that I'll do this for now: I'm going to build a "secret" page on the site, and fill it with my resume / credentials / skills and a general "Please contact me for an interview" page. Then I'm going to backlink all of the IP addresses owned by Valve, and if the page detects that it's being visited by someone from a Valve-owned IP, it will display a banner at the top of the page with a link to my secret "Hire me" page.

Then, hopefully, as it becomes more popular and (hopefully) catches the attention of someone at Valve, I'll have my in. :) If that doesn't work then... well... I'll have to go a more traditional route.

EDIT:

The biggest problem I have with "getting the word out" is that most places it is against the rules to engage in self-promotion. So that's where you guys come in. Get it out there! And don't worry, once a CAG, always a CAG. ;)[/QUOTE]
and once you're there, could you ask if they are gonna bring back the holiday sales.

[quote name='louiedog']ATTN: Motoki (and others)

From @theowaern (The Journey Down dev) on the subject of Steam keys:[/QUOTE]
What if you bought it on indiegamestand?

[quote name='Motoki']You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.[/QUOTE]
damn been begging for this since June and missed it because of work again . :hot::hot::hot::hot::hot:
[quote name='Genocidal']fuck. I was one of the ones pushing for this and I seriously missed it? How long was it even up for?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']Probably. It's a good start to prove the user score can be pulled in. It probably should be clearly noted which is the critic score, as opposed to "metascore" which is vague and implies a comprehensive score, and which is the user one.

Oh definitely. That always gets my attention when I notice the scores are so far out of sync with each other and to try and look and figure out why that was the case.

In looking I found that in the majority of cases the two scores are pretty on par with each other, but there are definitely some glaring examples when they aren't.

It seemed like the critics in general were way more lenient on EA games, and also on ones with harsh DRM schemes.

A couple of hours or so? Not long. I hope he gets more in for people who want it because I have no idea what's going to happen to it with the THQ auction coming up soon.

If I knew they were going to run out so fast I would have grabbed extras but I thought it was kind of an odd nichey casual game that a lot of gamers wouldn't be into. *shrug*[/QUOTE]
If anyone has an extra, I'd love to have it at cost.

re: Steam keys for owners of The Journey Down
[quote name='sunasun']
What if you bought it on indiegamestand?
[/QUOTE]

They said they are trying to get the keys for IGS people too but last I heard they contacted IGS and have not heard back yet. I know the devs want to do it so most likely it will happen.

[quote name='jshackles']Enhanced Steam (for Chrome) has been updated to v 1.8 which adds Metacritic User Scores support.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE THIS INSTALLED ALREADY, you'll have to open your extension page and re-activate it and accept the new permissions to enhancedsteam.com

This should be the last time the permissions change, as any other off-site data will be filtered through EnhancedSteam.com :)[/QUOTE]

Works great! Thanks for yet another useful feature.

80444540.png

Wow, Chrome makes updating the permissions really easy now. I didn't even have to go into the extensions page this time.

Keep up the great work, jshackles!

[quote name='soulkyo']I bough it, I wanted the original game plus the extras that aren't available on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Got it Thanks for reply

Will get a Nice Buzz before I play it

Looks Trippy:applause\\:D/

So I started a DLC list just did Saints Row for now to test it out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkEN6O8Ar8ugdDFaTFNkMkdPbkRuNm1YN2QxQjh5OEE&hl=en#gid=0

The doc is viewable and editable by anyone, so if anyone wants to contribute, change, edit etc go ahead.

The raw text doesn't paste well here so a rather largish image snapshot is below.

steamdlccategoriessheet.jpg

My thoughts

• I added date because I find that useful if I haven't checked on a game in a while to see what new DLC has been released since X date.
  • Not sure if these categories work or maybe some should be condensed, like cosmetic/items into one.
  • Multiplayer would be another category I'd want to add when certain games have multiplayer only DLC.
  • "Bundle" might be a little confusing and inadvertently imply indie bundle so I think that one might be better named as "Multi-Pack" or something like that. Changed.
  • The process of manually entering this all one by one is tedious. Not sure if there's a better way to grab the data and then manipulate it but if not it would really help if it were a group effort.
  • Color coding on these would be good too but not sure which colors to use and I didn't want to overlap on anything already being used for Enhanced Steam like red green or blue.
  • Anyway, this was just a test to sort of get some feedback, if anyone has any.

[quote name='jshackles']
AZ79k.png

Work in progress. I might have to pull in that "Metascore" graphic and make my own :cool:[/QUOTE]

... aaaand That's the feature I wanted! Awesome

[quote name='travathian']Anyone know if any games on Steam require Java?[/QUOTE]
Spiral Knights, Towns, Altitude, Sonic 4 Episode 1. Unsure about any others.

Too bad I won't ever be able to use that add-on since Chrome has too many personal quirks that I can't remove which drive me nuts. Sticking to a highly customized Firefox and doubt I'll move anytime soon. It just doesn't transition for the way I do things well, at all.

[quote name='Draekon']Too bad I won't ever be able to use that add-on since Chrome has too many personal quirks that I can't remove which drive me nuts. Sticking to a highly customized Firefox and doubt I'll move anytime soon. It just doesn't transition for the way I do things well, at all.[/QUOTE]

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enhanced-steam/

This is still being reviewed by Mozilla. It's kind of like Enhanced Steam "Lite", but what does work works well. :)

On a semi-related note, I'm thrilled that my work just quietly added Chrome so now I don't have to go 'Wait, do I own that already?' when I check Steam at work.

Chrome sync automatically pulled in and updated all my extensions too.

Previously we just had IE.

[quote name='Motoki']On a semi-related note, I'm thrilled that my work just quietly added Chrome so now I don't have to go 'Wait, do I own that already?' when I check Steam at work.

Chrome sync automatically pulled in and updated all my extensions too.

Previously we just had IE.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'm curious though, did Chrome Sync also bring over your settings for Enhanced Steam? Or do you just use the defaults?

[quote name='jshackles']Awesome! I'm curious though, did Chrome Sync also bring over your settings for Enhanced Steam? Or do you just use the defaults?[/QUOTE]

I just use the defaults. It did pull it in as 1.8 though.

I'll have to try messing with stuff and see if it syncs.

[quote name='Motoki']I just use the defaults. It did pull it in as 1.8 though.

I'll have to try messing with stuff and see if it syncs.[/QUOTE]

It should sync all of the settings in the options menu - custom colors, etc. I've tested it here and it works, I was just curious if it worked for anyone else. ;)

I have some games I've bundled together as a pack. $6 Paypal for the whole thing. I'm at work now so I can do the paypal transaction now but I can't get you the games till about 3pm PST. They are:

Orcs Must Die 2 Complete (Steam Gift)
Dungeon Defenders (Steam Gift)
Super Hexagon (Steam Gift)
Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb (Steam Key)
Basement Collection (Steam Key)

Thanks!

[quote name='spoderman']Bundlestars #2 is live, but everything in it is a bundle repeat.

http://www.bundlestars.com/[/QUOTE]

It features almost every steam redeemable game from Indie Gala 3. Here is the IG3 lineup:

Future Wars
Greed: Black Border
Trapped Dead
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
Twin Sector
Flatout (the only game that's missing thus far)

Fun fact: Indie Gala 3 is the bundle that started the group buy thing. Several posters (myself included) felt that the lineup of games was so mediocre that we just couldn't bring ourselves to buy it at the full price. So we passed on it. Until they brought back the happy hour towards the end of the bundle, that is. Luckily, Blade had bought early and he was able to help a bunch of us out.

Well, if anyone missed the first one, they're selling it again too. Personally, I either have/don't want the revealed games so I'll wait and see what's in the mystery box.

Life got in the way so I've been MIA for a few days. Did I miss anything good? Oh wait, this is the steam thread ... ;)

Seriously, though. I still have like 5 Amazon coupons that are languishing at the moment. I just can't find myself anything to buy. Sigh. First world gamer problems, eh?

[quote name='erequena']That's too bad, the first bundle stars was pretty cool, this one is really lacking[/QUOTE]

The same for me, unfortunately I missed that one but I got those games (Vietnam and the two Real Warfare) for really cheap here.

[quote name='Das_Regal']Krater Collector's Edition is like $3.20 on GMG. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I bought it because I need more co-op games. The DLC is also 60 cents after voucher. Like poxi said, it could be bundled later on (maybe Groupees?), but I don't know if the collector's edition OR the dlc will be bundled.. so if you want everything it might just be best to grab it now if you have any interest.

No idea if the game is actually good though lol.

[quote name='spoderman']I bought it because I need more co-op games. The DLC is also 60 cents after voucher. Like poxi said, it could be bundled later on (maybe Groupees?), but I don't know if the collector's edition OR the dlc will be bundled.. so if you want everything it might just be best to grab it now if you have any interest.

No idea if the game is actually good though lol.[/QUOTE]

I played the beta and it felt like there was an excessive amount of combat micromanagement required for an ARPG and the advancement system was weird. I don't know whether it's improved since.

[quote name='Scorch']Cool. I can finally get rid of my PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

I thought the console versions were better, why would you want to get rid of it?

[quote name='louiedog']The Cave pre-order is 22% off ($11.69) at getgames. I believe that the previous best deal was 20% off at GMG. Steamworks of course.[/QUOTE]

Didn't GMG do a 25% off?

Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone who is using Enhanced Steam, everyone who is requesting features, and everyone who is providing feedback and bug reports! EnhancedSteam.com got over 2,000 unique visitors yesterday, and I still can't get over the fact that they're talking about this all over the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back