The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='zillionandnine']Seriously, though. I still have like 5 Amazon coupons that are languishing at the moment. I just can't find myself anything to buy. Sigh. First world gamer problems, eh?[/QUOTE]

I bought the THQ medley again, I figured it was too good of a deal to pass on. That ought to cover birthdays for a little bit. "Hey Buddy! Hope you enjoy Homefront. I heard it's really good!"

Now I'm just growing paranoid that my Amazon Steam keys are going to expire or get stolen or blow up or something.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Life got in the way so I've been MIA for a few days. Did I miss anything good? Oh wait, this is the steam thread ... ;)

Seriously, though. I still have like 5 Amazon coupons that are languishing at the moment. I just can't find myself anything to buy. Sigh. First world gamer problems, eh?[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, except I have about 10 more left and doubt I'll be using anymore before the month ends.

[quote name='louiedog']The only reference I found in a thread search was 20% off.

Those aren't freely available. I have free $25 in GameStop credit and they sell Steam cards, making that the best deal.[/QUOTE]

He means that if you buy The Cave on Amazon you get a $5 credit for a future purchase. It has nothing to do with the coupons.

[quote name='Scorch']Cool. I can finally get rid of my PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='spoderman']I thought the console versions were better, why would you want to get rid of it?[/QUOTE]
The console versions support up to 4x players in offline multiplayer, while I believe the PC version only supports two. It also looks like the PC version doesn't have the DLC packs with additional episodes available.

So yeah, I'm kinda with Spoderman on this one. I can understand transitioning a console collection to PC, but the PS3 version does seem a better choice on this title.

[quote name='jshackles']Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone who is using Enhanced Steam, everyone who is requesting features, and everyone who is providing feedback and bug reports! EnhancedSteam.com got over 2,000 unique visitors yesterday, and I still can't get over the fact that they're talking about this all over the globe.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for making this wonderful add on. You deserve all the praise you get.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']He means that if you buy The Cave on Amazon you get a $5 credit for a future purchase. It has nothing to do with the coupons.[/QUOTE]

My mistake.

[quote name='jshackles']Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone who is using Enhanced Steam, everyone who is requesting features, and everyone who is providing feedback and bug reports! EnhancedSteam.com got over 2,000 unique visitors yesterday, and I still can't get over the fact that they're talking about this all over the globe.[/QUOTE]

Thank-you for making a fantastic extension!

Here is a suggestion to "enhance" your latest metascore update - add an option to show either the critic or user score in a search list. Looks like right now the default is the critic score. Or show both separated by a slash (example: 74/65)?

I kind of want Bundle Stars 1 that they brought back but I have the same problem now that I did then, I don't $6.72 want it. I already have Reign and Death to Spies. The others I don't but they are all 1C so likely to show up in another bundle, or if we ever make it to The Promised Land, the mythical Amazon 1C megapack.

Okay so another feature request because I am ultra lazy. Any way you can mark the DotD as owned if owned?

[quote name='Palinn']Thank-you for making a fantastic extension!

Here is a suggestion to "enhance" your latest metascore update - add an option to show either the critic or user score in a search list. Looks like right now the default is the critic score. Or show both separated by a slash (example: 74/65)?[/QUOTE]

I've thought about this also, but I think the aggregate GET requests would be overloading and slow things down quite a bit. I don't think most people mind (or notice) a 1-2 second wait for it to show up in the game page, but if you're having to load that score for each game (in addition to loading that game's page to see if you own it) I just feel like it would slow things down quite a bit.

I might give it a try though and maybe put it in the options where it can be enabled, but default it to "off". :)

[quote name='Motoki']
Okay so another feature request because I am ultra lazy. Any way you can mark the DotD as owned if owned?[/QUOTE]

I've actually been working on this already :) It also (currently) doesn't show "featured" games as owned on the main page or category pages. I'm trying to fix that on all counts.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Why not just a general "Find This Game on Youtube" button that would open a new tab with search results?[/QUOTE]

I support this idea. And I'd also like a box in the options to append our own search terms. That way we could search for , " giant bomb", " total biscuit", " garry's mod characters doin' it", etc. Maybe have it add a second button if we enable extra search terms so if I go to the Bad Rats page I can have a button that searches for Bad Rats or a button that searches for Bad Rats Giant Bomb, because let's be honest, Giant Bomb isn't going to QL that game.

[quote name='louiedog']I support this idea. And I'd also like a box in the options to append our own search terms. That way we could search for , " giant bomb", " total biscuit", " garry's mod characters doin' it", etc. Maybe have it add a second button if we enable extra search terms so if I go to the Bad Rats page I can have a button that searches for Bad Rats or a button that searches for Bad Rats Giant Bomb, because let's be honest, Giant Bomb isn't going to QL that game.[/QUOTE]

User configurable Youtube searches are a feature I'm planning on doing soon. They'll probably be, as BigSpoonyBard suggested, just a link (or box of links) that take your custom search terms and append the game's name.

[quote name='jshackles']User configurable Youtube searches are a feature I'm planning on doing soon. They'll probably be, as BigSpoonyBard suggested, just a link (or box of links) that take your custom search terms and append the game's name.[/QUOTE]

Great!

[quote name='jshackles']I've thought about this also, but I think the aggregate GET requests would be overloading and slow things down quite a bit. I don't think most people mind (or notice) a 1-2 second wait for it to show up in the game page, but if you're having to load that score for each game (in addition to loading that game's page to see if you own it) I just feel like it would slow things down quite a bit.

I might give it a try though and maybe put it in the options where it can be enabled, but default it to "off". :)[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure how the metascore in a search list was being populated by Steam so wasn't sure how altering that info would work. Where does the information on the individual game page come from? If you were able to get the user score are you also able to get the number of reviews that make up each score?

[quote name='Palinn']I wasn't sure how the metascore in a search list was being populated by Steam so wasn't sure how altering that info would work. Where does the information on the individual game page come from? If you were able to get the user score are you also able to get the number of reviews that make up each score?[/QUOTE]

You mean like having it say "70/100 based on 10 reviews" etc?

That's not a bad idea. I think say a score carries more weight if there are, say 40 reviews vs 4 and it's kind of unfair that in theory even if there's just one review it still populates the score over to Steam without relaying the fact that it's literally just based on one person's opinion.

On Krater: I bought it and think it's excellent. It's similar to other action RPGs in a lot of ways, but having multiple characters to control with permadeath after awhile really diversifies things. I doubt it'll be in a bundle anytime soon considering they're still releasing free expansions and a Mac OS version. Things don't usually get bundled until the devs are done working on them for free. The music is excellent, I love the world map, and the general vibe/humor is great. Krater is awesome!

On user Metascores: these are totally worthless. Most users don't rate games based on their actual perceived quality to them, they rate them based on the kind of feelings they invoke in them (see Mass Effect ratings for an example, because a disappointing ending alone cannot possibly make a game a 1). So when you're dealing with super immature entitled assholes (which tends to be the par for the course in short-form discussion/comment sections), you aren't exactly getting a measure of anything tangible or worthwhile to know.

[quote name='Palinn']I wasn't sure how the metascore in a search list was being populated by Steam so wasn't sure how altering that info would work. Where does the information on the individual game page come from? If you were able to get the user score are you also able to get the number of reviews that make up each score?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I checked the search results and it seems they're pulling it on the back end of things. This is also likely what they do on the game page itself, although they are nice enough to include a link to Metacritc, which is what I use to pull the user score...

[quote name='Motoki']You mean like having it say "70/100 based on 10 reviews" etc?

That's not a bad idea. I think say a score carries more weight if there are, say 40 reviews vs 4 and it's kind of unfair that in theory even if there's just one review it still populates the score over to Steam without relaying the fact that it's literally just based on one person's opinion.[/QUOTE]

I agree - not a bad idea and obviously the data is already there. I'll look into this, but I'm not sure if it will work stylistically speaking. You might just have to click on the Metacritic link for anything that doesn't seem quite right or that you want to read up on further.

EDIT: Also, looks like the amount of fear mongering on the Steam forums is running high. ZOMG This could access my account!!!! (Really? There isn't even any box that pops up asking you to log in. The extension does literally NOTHING with your account information.)

[quote name='jshackles']EDIT: Also, looks like the amount of fear mongering on the Steam forums is running high. ZOMG This could access my account!!!! (Really? There isn't even any box that pops up asking you to log in. The extension does literally NOTHING with your account information.)[/QUOTE]

SPUF is overrun by idiots. I wouldn't worry about anything they say.

[quote name='jshackles']EDIT: Also, looks like the amount of fear mongering on the Steam forums is running high. ZOMG This could access my account!!!! (Really? There isn't even any box that pops up asking you to log in. The extension does literally NOTHING with your account information.)[/QUOTE]

You're just trying to get a good long look at my games, aren't you? You're all the same, you programmers of programming.

[quote name='Motoki']You mean like having it say "70/100 based on 10 reviews" etc?

That's not a bad idea. I think say a score carries more weight if there are, say 40 reviews vs 4 and it's kind of unfair that in theory even if there's just one review it still populates the score over to Steam without relaying the fact that it's literally just based on one person's opinion.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']Yeah I checked the search results and it seems they're pulling it on the back end of things. This is also likely what they do on the game page itself, although they are nice enough to include a link to Metacritc, which is what I use to pull the user score...

I agree - not a bad idea and obviously the data is already there. I'll look into this, but I'm not sure if it will work stylistically speaking. You might just have to click on the Metacritic link for anything that doesn't seem quite right or that you want to read up on further.[/QUOTE]

Yes something like Motoki mentions although "100" could be inferred and therefore replaced with "# reviews"?

Metascore 74 / 35 reviews
User Score 65 / 27 reviews

[quote name='Genocidal']SPUF is overrun by idiots. I wouldn't worry about anything they say.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Someone should make a video waklthrough to highlight the features, just for the insightful youtube comments.

[quote name='Genocidal']SPUF is overrun by idiots. I wouldn't worry about anything they say.[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried - I actually think it's kind of funny, although I have seen plugins and such like mine that DO steal user's data, so I understand where they're coming from at least.

[quote name='Palinn']Yes something like Motoki mentions although "100" could be inferred and therefore replaced with "# reviews"?

Metascore 74 / 35 reviews
User Score 65 / 27 reviews[/QUOTE]

This could be done but it'd be a bit more work. The /100 part of the Metacritic score on Steam's page is actually part of the background element's graphic. So to do this, that graphic would have to be replaced.

[quote name='louiedog']Yep. Someone should make a video waklthrough to highlight the features, just for the insightful youtube comments.[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking of making such a Youtube video and embedding it on my site. I'm sure the comments would be riveting!

jshackles, any news about porting the plugin to Firefox? I'm still running the Greasmonkey scrip 0.7 or something like that.

EDIT: Silly me, didn't read the FAQ.

[quote name='jshackles']I'm going to put this link on my website as soon as Mozilla officially approves it, but for now you can get the Firefox version here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enhanced-steam/

Not all of the features work yet, but it's still a work in progress.[/QUOTE]

Great, the current working features in the Firefox extension are good enough for me, maybe the price history but I can wait until you get them all working as the Chrome counterpart.

Thanks for this and amazing work overall.

[quote name='Bort_']Great, the current working features in the Firefox extension are good enough for me, maybe the price history but I can wait until you get them all working as the Chrome counterpart.

Thanks for this and amazing work overall.[/QUOTE]

At first I wasn't sure if I would be able to port all of the features over to firefox, but the more I'm reading up on Firefox addon development, the more I think "I can probably do this." :)

There's really only (currently) one underlying issue with the Firefox addon and as soon as I figure that out, the only thing left to do is create the Options page to make it's features match that of the Chrome extension. So hopefully by the end of the week they'll be caught up with one another, and hopefully by then also approved by Mozilla. :D

[quote name='jshackles']
There's really only (currently) one underlying issue with the Firefox addon and as soon as I figure that out, the only thing left to do is create the Options page to make it's features match that of the Chrome extension. So hopefully by the end of the week they'll be caught up with one another, and hopefully by then also approved by Mozilla. :D[/QUOTE]

Nice. I just don't can't get used to Chrome. My wife needles me on it, but I've been using Firefox for a long time.

Of course, I've been doing most of my Steam browsing in the Steam program up until now. Your extension will be changing that.

[quote name='jshackles']Alright Firefox chaps!

http://enhancedsteam.com/firefox/enhanced-steam.xpi

Has been updated to v 1.1 which implements these features:

Highlights 3rd party DRM
Finds out how much you save in a bundle
See how much you've spent on your Steam account
Fixes "No Image Available" on your wishlist

KNOWN BUG:
I haven't quite figured out the cross-domain scripting for SteamGameSales.com, so for now it will say "Fetching price history" on the game page for... well forever. Hopefully in the next version I'll figure this out.

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

I didn't really have time to read through the forum since yesterday evening but I am glad I found this while skimming. Thus I'd like to thank you once again for your awesome efforts, Jshackles.

[quote name='Das_Regal']
On user Metascores: these are totally worthless. Most users don't rate games based on their actual perceived quality to them, they rate them based on the kind of feelings they invoke in them (see Mass Effect ratings for an example, because a disappointing ending alone cannot possibly make a game a 1). So when you're dealing with super immature entitled assholes (which tends to be the par for the course in short-form discussion/comment sections), you aren't exactly getting a measure of anything tangible or worthwhile to know.[/QUOTE]

This always comes up by someone and I always disagree. The user comments sometimes give very useful information that the critics will gloss over like controls, quality of the port, DRM etc.

Yes if there is a backlash about a certain aspect of a game it will get slammed but I think people expressing their disappointment with aspects of a game is valid.

I don't want to get into this huge argument over it because people have strong opinions but I think if the ending the game ruined the experience for someone that's a valid opinion. Of course it doesn't hold true for everyone but it's not trolling.

Any time you boil something down to just a number you are going to be losing a lot and it's best to dig deeper. Still, I find it useful to have both numbers for comparison's sake and then if there is a discrepancy to look into why that is the case.

I mentioned this earlier, but when I went looking last night for the vast majority of games user scores are pretty on par with the critic ones. If they were so worthless as people claim then this wouldn't be the case, but it is.

In the cases where there are large discrepancies there generally is one particular issue that's a sticking point for the users that caused the backlash. I'd like to see when there are these discrepancies to be able to look into it further and decide for myself.

[quote name='jshackles']
EDIT: Also, looks like the amount of fear mongering on the Steam forums is running high. ZOMG This could access my account!!!! (Really? There isn't even any box that pops up asking you to log in. The extension does literally NOTHING with your account information.)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']I'm not worried - I actually think it's kind of funny, although I have seen plugins and such like mine that DO steal user's data, so I understand where they're coming from at least.[/QUOTE]

Right, I wouldn't stress it. If they are afraid of it then don't use it. If you lock it down too much you'd lose functionality which defeats the purpose.

Looks like the hidden bonus games for Bundlestars #2 are likely to be Trauma and Grotesque Tactics 2. Trauma has been in 2 bundles, but I don't think GT2 has been in any.

[quote name='Motoki']
In the cases where there are large discrepancies there generally is one particular issue that's a sticking point for the users that caused the backlash. I'd like to see when there are these discrepancies to be able to look into it further and decide for myself.
[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the stance I take. If I'm looking at a game that I feel is generally something genre-wise I should be interested in and the user and critic scores are similar, the numbers alone are usually a fair assessment. It's when there is a gap that I usually read through both user AND critic reviews.

[quote name='Motoki']
Right, I wouldn't stress it. If they are afraid of it then don't use it. If you lock it down too much you'd lose functionality which defeats the purpose.[/QUOTE]

Yeah no I'm certainly not going that far. I will be (hopefully) rolling the SteamGameSales.com functionality into EnhancedSteam.com later today and updating the plugin again. The permissions will change again, but instead of adding an extra site, it will be removing one.

There are a lot of really cool things I'm working on for the back end - DLC categories, more robust pricing data - should be some cool stuff that I'm shooting for a 2.0 release. In addition to adding features, I have a few more bugs to iron out, mostly to do with international currencies not working correctly for the "Total Spent" and "Amount saved in bundles". (Sorry international users! I'm working on it! :cool: )

[quote name='jshackles']Yeah no I'm certainly not going that far. I will be (hopefully) rolling the SteamGameSales.com functionality into EnhancedSteam.com later today and updating the plugin again. The permissions will change again, but instead of adding an extra site, it will be removing one.

There are a lot of really cool things I'm working on for the back end - DLC categories, more robust pricing data - should be some cool stuff that I'm shooting for a 2.0 release. In addition to adding features, I have a few more bugs to iron out, mostly to do with international currencies not working correctly for the "Total Spent" and "Amount saved in bundles". (Sorry international users! I'm working on it! :cool: )[/QUOTE]

I like the plug-in but shouldnt this be in the steam discussion thread and not the steam deal thread?

[quote name='paz9x']I like the plug-in but shouldnt this be in the steam discussion thread and not the steam deal thread?[/QUOTE]

I honestly think Enhanced Steam is cool enough to deserve it's own thread and Jshackles could keep the OP updated with the latest links (though once Mozilla approves it, that might be needed) but maybe at least links to latest builds for troubleshooting/bugs/feedback.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I honestly think Enhanced Steam is cool enough to deserve it's own thread and Jshackles could keep the OP updated with the latest links (though once Mozilla approves it, that might be needed) but maybe at least links to latest builds for troubleshooting/bugs/feedback.[/QUOTE]

This. Should be in its own thread, or the Steam discussion thread. It's currently completely dominating this thread lol.

[quote name='jshackles']

EDIT: Also, looks like the amount of fear mongering on the Steam forums is running high. ZOMG This could access my account!!!! (Really? There isn't even any box that pops up asking you to log in. The extension does literally NOTHING with your account information.)[/QUOTE]

And clearly, I created my SPUF account just now (or 2010, whatever) to spread malware to Steam users :lol:

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I honestly think Enhanced Steam is cool enough to deserve it's own thread and Jshackles could keep the OP updated with the latest links (though once Mozilla approves it, that might be needed) but maybe at least links to latest builds for troubleshooting/bugs/feedback.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll probably do that, set up a thread in the non-deals side of things and keep it updated with the latest.

[quote name='spoderman']This. Should be in its own thread, or the Steam discussion thread. It's currently completely dominating this thread lol.[/QUOTE]

But if we move the discussion, what will there be left to talk about here? :lol: That is, until the Summer sale starts! :cool:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10387743

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Das_Regal']On Krater: I bought it and think it's excellent. It's similar to other action RPGs in a lot of ways, but having multiple characters to control with permadeath after awhile really diversifies things. I doubt it'll be in a bundle anytime soon considering they're still releasing free expansions and a Mac OS version. Things don't usually get bundled until the devs are done working on them for free. The music is excellent, I love the world map, and the general vibe/humor is great. Krater is awesome!

On user Metascores: these are totally worthless. Most users don't rate games based on their actual perceived quality to them, they rate them based on the kind of feelings they invoke in them (see Mass Effect ratings for an example, because a disappointing ending alone cannot possibly make a game a 1). So when you're dealing with super immature entitled assholes (which tends to be the par for the course in short-form discussion/comment sections), you aren't exactly getting a measure of anything tangible or worthwhile to know.[/QUOTE]

Well, as someone who played through the entire series of Mass Effect, I can definetly say the ending leaves a very bitter taste in your mouth and may make you never want to play the series again, so that is why ratings are subjective.

ZrHPY.jpg

I could easily see a valid argument for the game that it deserves a low user rating, in some individual's opinions, because of how negatively the ending affected the rest of the series, which many may wish to remember for how much they enjoyed it, rather than how little the series makes sense now in light of the ending.

http://whatculture.com/gaming/mass-effect-3-extended-cut-a-disappointed-fan-responds.php

But metacritic isn't perfect, but it is highly informative if you take the time to read user reviews for why they rated the game what they did. Mass Effect 3, for example, received low user ratings nearly universally for the ending, which taken into consideration, you can make an informed decision on whether you still want to play the game or not.

Diablo III, for example, received it's low user ratings nearly universally based on it's use of 'always online DRM', as well as less often stated issues such as automatic level up stats (the dumbing down of RPG elements).

[quote name='Necrotron']Well, as someone who played through the entire series of Mass Effect, I can definetly say the ending leaves a very bitter taste in your mouth and may make you never want to play the series again, so that is why ratings are subjective.[/QUOTE]

It has definitely made me pretty much hate the series.

[quote name='jshackles']But if we move the discussion, what will there be left to talk about here? :lol: That is, until the Summer sale starts! :cool:
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure somebody will start arguing about something any minute now.

(Borderlands 1 is better than Borderlands 2 by like ten bajillion miles!)

Any minute now...

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'm sure somebody will start arguing about something any minute now.

(Borderlands 1 is better than Borderlands 2 by like ten bajillion miles!)

Any minute now...[/QUOTE]

Ha I'm actually guilty of starting that fight on this thread before. (Borderlands 1 was totally better!)

On topic - anyone have any ideas what we're in store for the midweek sales tomorrow?

[quote name='kidrocklive']It has definitely made me pretty much hate the series.[/QUOTE]

Is it really just the ending, though? I felt the whole game was a step backwards, and not just because I'm an EA-Hater (which I admittedly am). The few Reaper battles really left me disappointed. Especially the one with the giant laser beam where you're just stuck on the ledge dodging left and right. That's about as far from what I want in a Mass Effect game as you can get.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Is it really just the ending, though? I felt the whole game was a step backwards, and not just because I'm an EA-Hater (which I admittedly am). The few Reaper battles really left me disappointed. Especially the one with the giant laser beam where you're just stuck on the ledge dodging left and right. That's about as far from what I want in a Mass Effect game as you can get.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mind any of the gameplay, but a lot of the story beats dove a little too far into the realm of hokey melodrama for my tastes. In their efforts to wrap everything up with past characters they made the whole experience a lot more heavy handed than the previous games.

The ending didn't really bother me, though.

And overall I felt like the game was fine, though not as good as I was hoping for.

Is it really that different from ME2 in terms of gameplay? I can't stand the more action oriented of ME2, for once the limited ammo system doesn't even make sense. And the exploration was very limited in comparison.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I didn't mind any of the gameplay, but a lot of the story beats dove a little too far into the realm of hokey melodrama for my tastes. In their efforts to wrap everything up with past characters they made the whole experience a lot more heavy handed than the previous games.

The ending didn't really bother me, though.

And overall I felt like the game was fine, though not as good as I was hoping for.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much how I felt as well. To me the ending was always headed to a pretty narrow spot. It's the middle arc that really allowed for the wiggle room.

And the drama...I typically play a paragon Shep, but really enjoyed the general jackassery of the renegade Shep in 1 and 2, but in 3 renegade is just plain evil. Overall I enjoyed 3. I should also qualify that after some past experiences I try not to judge sequels off of their predecessors any more; at least at first. ME3 is a good game in it's own right, IMO.

Guys, seriously.. this is not the thread to be discussing the ME3 ending, or any other game ending. Go to a ME3 discussion (or other respective game discussion) thread for that. Trakan has already posted that deal threads are NOT the right threads for that stuff.

[quote name='spoderman']Guys, seriously.. this is not the thread to be discussing the ME3 ending, or any other game ending. Go to a ME3 discussion (or other respective game discussion) thread for that. Trakan has already posted that deal threads are NOT the right threads for that stuff.[/QUOTE]

K. See you guys tomorrow around 1pm est for a quick round of Steam bitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back