The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
**** DEAL TALK ****

It's time for Flow's thrice-yearly synopsis of Krater.

Lets start with the good:

- the setting (post apocalyptic-Sweden) is cool and has enough variety to make it not a Fallout ripoff
- the idea (squad-based real-time strategy/RPG) is like mini-managing your own MMO dungeon run. Think of having your own tank/damage dealer/healer trio to organise
- soundtrack is nifty
- crafting, levelling, staple RPG elements are well represented
- the devastating are still trying to improve it

Now the bad:
- I bought at launch and played 4-5 hours before getting bored. It didn't feel like much fun, just a bit of a grind
- combat was a mess. Just button mashing for me
- the camera just doesn't want to like me. It feels really unnatural
- bugs that make it crash without reason (I tried to play over Xmas and it crashed before the end of the tutorial! :lol:)

In short, I really want to like Krater but whenever I've returned to it I felt like it didn't want to like me back. *plays angst-driven Emo album*

However, there's definitely enough game in there for those willing to dig deep enough. I think I've been justifiably harsh on it in the past but I've promised myself I'll get my moneysworth out of it sometime this year. Now seems as good a time as any.

Krater is available at GMG for 80% off until Friday. Use the 20% code to make it an effective 84% off.

**** DEAL TALK ENDS ****

[quote name='Flowette']**** DEAL TALK ****

It's time for Flow's thrice-yearly synopsis of Krater.

Lets start with the good:

- the setting (post apocalyptic-Sweden) is cool and has enough variety to make it not a Fallout ripoff
- the idea (squad-based real-time strategy/RPG) is like mini-managing your own MMO dungeon run. Think of having your own tank/damage dealer/healer trio to organise
- soundtrack is nifty
- crafting, levelling, staple RPG elements are well represented
- the devastating are still trying to improve it

Now the bad:
- I bought at launch and played 4-5 hours before getting bored. It didn't feel like much fun, just a bit of a grind
- combat was a mess. Just button mashing for me
- the camera just doesn't want to like me. It feels really unnatural
- bugs that make it crash without reason (I tried to play over Xmas and it crashed before the end of the tutorial! :lol:)

In short, I really want to like Krater but whenever I've returned to it I felt like it didn't want to like me back. *plays angst-driven Emo album*

However, there's definitely enough game in there for those willing to dig deep enough. I think I've been justifiably harsh on it in the past but I've promised myself I'll get my moneysworth out of it sometime this year. Now seems as good a time as any.

Krater is available at GMG for 80% off until Friday. Use the 20% code to make it an effective 84% off.

**** DEAL TALK ENDS ****[/QUOTE]

I'm considering this game, but I might wait and see if it's included in a bundle. Some of the reviews make it sound like it's a mess.

I probably should've checked what Krater's co-op is like before I bought it. Apparently it doesn't have full campaign co-op (like the campaign in singleplayer). It just has 3 missions for the co-op..

Seems like the game is still unfinished.

[quote name='bshirk']I'm considering this game, but I might wait and see if it's included in a bundle. Some of the reviews make it sound like it's a mess.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't feel like bundle material, there's a lot of game in there for people willing to put the time in. Plus I don't think there's been any FatShark games in a bundle elsewhere (I'll likely be proven wrong within 5 minutes of posting this).

It's cheap enough to take a punt on if it interests you, I doubt we'll see it considerably cheaper. The bigger question is "Will I actually play it right now?". If the answer is no, probably hold off for the next time it hits a low price.

Edit: should've waited til Spoderman went to bed :lol:

[quote name='Flowette']It doesn't feel like bundle material, there's a lot of game in there for people willing to put the time in. Plus I don't think there's been any FatShark games in a bundle elsewhere (I'll likely be proven wrong within 5 minutes of posting this).

It's cheap enough to take a punt on if it interests you, I doubt we'll see it considerably cheaper. The bigger question is "Will I actually play it right now?". If the answer is no, probably hold off for the next time it hits a low price.[/QUOTE]

Hamilton's Great Adventure was in a Groupees bundle. Less than 5 minutes! ;)

[quote name='spoderman']I probably should've checked what Krater's co-op is like before I bought it. Apparently it doesn't have full campaign co-op (like the campaign in singleplayer). It just has 3 missions for the co-op..

Seems like the game is still unfinished.[/QUOTE]

Co-op was patched in after launch, about a month or two later on.

I'm tempted by it the idea - it has Steam achievements for co-op missions so I'd like to get those ticked off.

Hi guys, all the YDKJ hype made me wonder what other games besides YDKJ and Mafia are not available anymore on the Steam Store but accesible through other sources like Amazon, etc?

[quote name='soulkyo']Hi guys, all the YDKJ hype made me wonder what other games besides YDKJ and Mafia are not available anymore on the Steam Store but accesible through other sources like Amazon, etc?[/QUOTE]

YDKJ is still on the Steam store, its just people want to get anything THQ related to be safe.

[quote name='spoderman']YDKJ is still on the Steam store, its just people want to get anything THQ related to be safe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer, so that must be another region restricted game for my list, lol. And what about Mafia? That for sure is not available on any store, right? Are there games like that that can be bought from other sources? Like wolfenstein for example, do you know where can I get a copy? :)

[quote name='soulkyo']Thanks for the answer, so that must be another region restricted game for my list, lol. And what about Mafia? That for sure is not available on any store, right? Are there games like that that can be bought from other sources? Like wolfenstein for example, do you know where can I get a copy? :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah Mafia was removed from the Steam store. I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll find Wolfenstein anywhere unless you find someone with an extra gift copy. I know Prey can be activated on Steam if you buy a retail boxed copy. Not sure what else can be found from other retailers, sorry.

[quote name='soulkyo']Hi guys, all the YDKJ hype made me wonder what other games besides YDKJ and Mafia are not available anymore on the Steam Store but accesible through other sources like Amazon, etc?[/QUOTE]
[Removed for Error]

[quote name='Syntax Error']Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Hrm, the description doesn't say Steam but I know the copy I have from GamersGate was a Steam key. Amazon version has people saying it's not Steam either. Maybe they ran out of Steam keys and now it's stand-alone?[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? I didn't think it came with a Steam key. When did you buy it?

Looking at the Steam users forums, it appears that there aren't any "Steam redeemable keys" being distributed, so it's probably not Steam any more if it used to be. :(

[quote name='spoderman']Wow, really? I didn't think it came with a Steam key. When did you buy it?[/QUOTE]
I must have been wrong. I could have sworn I had it Steam activated but I looked at my profile's game list and it wasn't on there. My mistake then.

Thanks for the heads up about Ghostbusters, guys.

I'm going to go home, install it, and leave it running while at work/asleep to gloat like a smug twat :D

Serious point: have there ever been occurrences of gaming being "de-listed" and then removed from your library? (I don't mean dodgy Russian deals, I mean licences expiring or something)

Thanks all for the information. I hope there are others games like Mafia that can be bought from other sources, for the time being I'll grab YDKJ which is region restricted for me :)

[quote name='jshackles']Looks like the devs for Under the Ocean (a new game on Steam) are giving away keys for answering random questions:

http://www.underthegarden.com/ocean_keys/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Can't manage to find the correct answer, though :lol:

[quote name='soulkyo']
Thanks for the heads up. Can't manage to find the correct answer, though :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ha me either. They have a post on reddit going, but it's really just random questions.

[quote name='Flowette']Thanks for the heads up about Ghostbusters, guys.

I'm going to go home, install it, and leave it running while at work/asleep to gloat like a smug twat :D

Serious point: have there ever been occurrences of gaming being "de-listed" and then removed from your library? (I don't mean dodgy Russian deals, I mean licences expiring or something)[/QUOTE]

re: Fatshark

I think Lead and Gold is them too and it was in Indie Gala. That said, they seem to really be pushing Krater so it might take a little while (a few months) to hit the bundles.

re: Games delisted

We'd probably have to check with those with 1000s of games to see if it's ever happened. IIRC even Warz, which was recently pulled from the store for being an unfinished beta, was allowed to remain on people's accounts after it was pulled.

[quote name='stoned99']Stupid, I answered doom and it's already been answered.[/QUOTE]

Lol, why they don't remove the already-answered questions? It reminds me of the lurkers that use the code and never say it :lol:

Dammit I answered Wii:U for "most powerful console" and apparently the ":" wasn't supposed to be there so it was wrong and when I tried again it was already answered :(

[quote name='Therapy']Dammit I answered Wii:U for "most powerful console" and apparently the ":" wasn't supposed to be there so it was wrong and when I tried again it was already answered :([/QUOTE]

I can't relate.

;)

I tried it a few times, then hit refresh and it gives me this message:

Unfortunately, it's 6:30am here, and it's time for Paul and I to crash!
Over 500 keys were sent out tonight.
If you like the look of the game, please sign up to our mailing list below.
We'll send out another 200 keys at random when we wake up in the morning.
All the best, Paul and Mike

[quote name='Blade']I tried it a few times, then hit refresh and it gives me this message:[/QUOTE]

I entered my email, who knows and it's probably better odds than SG.

[quote name='dbolt']One of the Midweek Madness deals is Sanctum 75% off
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91600/[/QUOTE]

Boo!

Edit:

Rocksmith daily at half off. Not bad I think for people who like it, but i heard the cable is very expensive by itself?

Today's deal is Rocksmith at 50% off ($14.99)

Lowest Price: $14.99 USD at Steam (1 week ago)

Notice: The Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable is not included with the purchase of Rocksmith™ on Steam and must be purchased separately. Please see your local retailer or many online stores to purchase the Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable.

The other Midweek Madness is Of Orcs and Men at 50% of f($19.99)

Lowest Price: $27.99 USD at GameStop (1 week ago)

Warning: This title uses 3rd party DRM: ACTControl 10 machine activation limit

Lead the revolution of the Orcs and Goblins! In a world at war, the vast Empire of Men tries to extend its domination over the territories of the Orcs and Goblins, who are systematically persecuted, enslaved and massacred. Through this great role-playing game, lead a fearsome Orc warrior, and a Goblin master of assassination and stealth.
Genre: Action, RPG

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Steam had Of Orcs and Men for the same price in the winter sale and so did Gamersgate.[/QUOTE]

I kind of thought so. The price tracking at that site is a little off. It seems like every daily since the extension gained that feature hasn't had any price tracking, even though those games have definitely gone on sale before.

[quote name='louiedog']I kind of thought so. The price tracking at that site is a little off. It seems like every daily since the extension gained that feature hasn't had any price tracking, even though those games have definitely gone on sale before.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right now it's just pulling data from SteamGameSales.com, which (sadly) doesn't update as often as I'd like or for all the games all of the time. I'm working on rolling this into the plugin using my own database sometime soon. If you have any questions / comments / etc please see the discussion link in my sig. ;)

[quote name='poxi']Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition has been added to Steam registry
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/18874[/QUOTE]

This will probably be an insta-buy for me, I've been eyeing it for a while and am perfectly willing to pay full price - but I'd rather have it on Steam.

Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded was greenlit. I don't like the version of Larry from those Magna Cum Laude games, but if you want it on Steam, that is what you get.

Sweet! Tons of new greenlit games I have from indie bundles (DLC Quest, La-Mulana, Unepic, probably some others...?) Hope they follow the tradition and issue Steam keys!

Awesome. Unepic and DLC Quest were in Indie Royale and Groupees' Build A Greenlight had La Mulana. Yay for retroactive Steam keys!

Also glad I don't have to see MaK and Akaneiro in my queue every time. I mean they look good but they came up every single freakin' time.

[quote name='Palinn']I got several answers "correct" on the Under the Ocean page but received the "already answered" message every time. Found this cool jpg poster while trying to come up with DOS games that someone else hadn't already used:

http://i0.wp.com/information2share.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/list-of-worthwhile-dos-games.jpg[/QUOTE]

That is, indeed an awesome poster. And they even have Realms of the Haunting on there, so I'm satisfied they know what they're talking about. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back