The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Neuro5i5']Last day to Kickstart Legends of Dawn. You can also help Greenlight it on Steam. I've done both, already. :)[/QUOTE]
Likewise. I made a joke earlier about only doing it because they had the foresight to put an attractive Croatian woman in their video but I really do think it looks like it has promise. My first time contributing to Kickstart anything so we'll see how it goes.

[quote name='Therapy']Oh and since I think I saw it in a bundle somewhere a little while ago, I remember that Majesty 2 is also a really fun game. It's not too hard but the gameplay is quite unique. You build a town where you can hire heroes. You can't control the heroes directly, but only indirectly through putting bounties on something you want done (like slaying a monster or exploring an area). They will spend the loot they find in your shops for better armor, potions, etc. It's really quite enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

It was in the Paradox mini bundle Amazon had. I bought it mostly for the CK2 DLC, but the games were of interest too.

Is the first Majesty game worth playing, or should I just skip it and play 2?

[quote name='Syntax Error']Likewise. I made a joke earlier about only doing it because they had the foresight to put an attractive Croatian woman in their video but I really do think it looks like it has promise. My first time contributing to Kickstart anything so we'll see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

Haha, same here and exactly same reasoning and position. The entire presentation of the game, gameplay and marketing all seemed, for a lack of a better word, 'attractive' to me. The game fits in with some of my preferred genres and it looks to likely be greenlit soon. I'm actually pretty excited that they're moving on pretty fast with their stretch goals.

[quote name='Flowette']I LOVED Majesty 2 and put around 20 hours into it (a big contribution for me) but got massively stuck late on in the campaign. I had the choice of taking on either Region A or Region B, both stupidly hard, and just couldn't make any progress. I even YouTubed a few help videos to see where I was going wrong.

It's a really fun game but the difficulty ramped up too much for me to handle late on. But for a dollar or two (which I think is what it's going for in the Steam Trade thread) it's well worth it.

The cheesy Sean Connery ripoff voiceover man just makes it that little bit better.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLongshot']It was in the Paradox mini bundle Amazon had. I bought it mostly for the CK2 DLC, but the games were of interest too.

Is the first Majesty game worth playing, or should I just skip it and play 2?[/QUOTE]

I just tried Majesty Gold again and I got pounded on a beginner's mission. That game is harder than 2 haha. It's kinda hard to find out the stuff you need in that old game. I will try it again when I have more time to figure it all out though.

Majesty 2 is definitely friendlier :p so you can go right ahead and start with that anyway. I don't think there's much to be lost story-wise and if you like it and don't mind the old graphics (I kinda like them for their nostagic feeling myself) you can always try that later.

Weekend deal goes live in an hour, my prediction - Killing Floor free weekend!!!!! (Well I honestly just want the DLC on sale, but I don't really expect this to happen)

I'll ask here since I didn't see a GOG thread.

Leisure Suit Larry 2-6 worth $9.99? I'm figuring on grabbing the remake of the original, but I'm wondering if I should get the four sequels.

Looks like the Indie Gala Magicka bundle added "Home". On a side note, Steam has been acting really weird and slow for this morning, so it took me a while to realize I already owned it :D

[quote name='Preedatore']I could not get in to that game. I preferred Homefront.[/QUOTE]

Yikes! Homefront is the best bad SP shooter campaign I've played. Or is that the worst good...

Is it me or is Steam being really slow? I can't tell if it is my net or not being wonky atm since it has been a bit odd today so far too

Jeez, I joked about it early in the week when Sanctum had it's midweek madness, but of course Steam heard my joke and made Magicka the weekend deal. Can they just both be permently at the price point they are at now?

ZOMG MAGICKA! That never goe... aw, screw it. I can't even joke about it anymore. At this point the disappointment at seeing it is like Steam kicking my puppy.

I will say this, the free weekend to go along with 75% off Magicka is not as common, so that is a plus. Outside of that, it's a little annoying sometimes to see so many Steam sales overlap with bundles. I mean, I know both Steam and the publishers have enough awareness to know a game is currently running in a bundle, so I don't know why they insist on putting it as a daily/weekend/etc. during that time.

Maybe their math backs it up though since bundles will always be more expensive (outside of IG HH) than any individual game.

[quote name='plft']Odd how it doesn't say I own it, which I do.[/QUOTE]

The top right probably says " 's account " and thus isn't pulling all of the information it should be. Steam has been buckling for a couple hours now and with the turn of the deal only made things worse.

[quote name='KaOTiK']That isn't true, or at least not for all games. I remember when Civ 5 came out, people would play it on LAN doing exactly that with 1 Steam account. The devs were a bit pissed about it because you are obviously not suppose to do it and but from what I recall nothing ultimately came of it.[/QUOTE]

This didn't work for me when I tried. Maybe they patched it out. I personally think you should only ever need to buy 1 license of a game to be used in a single household. Blizzard have made my life miserable with all the restrictions in their recent games.

[quote name='oman19']I really want Anno just not at that price. Damn the CAG in me.[/QUOTE]
I really want Anno and would buy at that price if it weren't for the stupid tages.

[quote name='Draekon']The top right probably says " 's account " and thus isn't pulling all of the information it should be. Steam has been buckling for a couple hours now and with the turn of the deal only made things worse.[/QUOTE]
Nope, I'm logged in on my browser. I had to double check my library and it's still there, but is missing the TM's in the name. Maybe that's why it doesn't show up. No big deal, just odd.

[quote name='Terlan']I really want Anno and would buy at that price if it weren't for the stupid tages.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't this require uplay as well ?

[quote name='Seraphym']Anyone have an opinion on Governor of Poker?[/QUOTE]

I hear The End bought it at 50% off.

[quote name='Draekon']Steam is having a stroke, yes. Guess they're still having issues from last night that they only managed to temporarily calm down.[/QUOTE]

What happened last night?

[quote name='Draekon']The top right probably says " 's account " and thus isn't pulling all of the information it should be. Steam has been buckling for a couple hours now and with the turn of the deal only made things worse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed this too when I got a lot of PMs and emails from people asking why Enhanced Steam wasn't working.

I'm also sad to see Magicka as the weekend deal, but I honestly wasn't expecting much. I bet they'll sell quite a few, despite it being in the current Indie Gala.

[quote name='oman19']I really want Anno just not at that price. Damn the CAG in me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I almost bought it when Amazon had it for $20 plus the $5 Ubi coupon but just forgot to do it. I can't justify $20 for it... I could barely justify $15.

[quote name='gilby']What happened last night?[/QUOTE]

No idea. I don't usually bother looking things up as to why for most things. All I remember is that it was spotty last night for an hour or two. Tried playing Borderlands 2 with some friends and Steam kept going in and out.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I will say this, the free weekend to go along with 75% off Magicka is not as common, so that is a plus. Outside of that, it's a little annoying sometimes to see so many Steam sales overlap with bundles. I mean, I know both Steam and the publishers have enough awareness to know a game is currently running in a bundle, so I don't know why they insist on putting it as a daily/weekend/etc. during that time.

Maybe their math backs it up though since bundles will always be more expensive (outside of IG HH) than any individual game.[/QUOTE]

My theory is on games like this they are doing it to sell DLC. They know everyone probably just got it from the bundle and everyone's wallets are hurting a bit from the holidays so hey why not put this on sale since a bunch of people just got it and see if we can get those people with hurting wallets do smaller transactions for DLC.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Yeah, I almost bought it when Amazon had it for $20 plus the $5 Ubi coupon but just forgot to do it. I can't justify $20 for it... I could barely justify $15.[/QUOTE]

Yup $9.99 is where I would think about it but even then I might wait for $7.49

[quote name='Seraphym']Anyone have an opinion on Governor of Poker?[/QUOTE]

My opinion is that it was one of the stupidest purchases that I've ever made on steam. I don't even know how to play Poker, for Christ's sake, and I spent $10 on the stupid game. Add to that, the fact that less than 2 hours after I bought Governor of Poker, I managed to snag Sleeping Dogs and most of it's DLC for less than I paid for GoP. And now having it show up less than 2 weeks later for half of what I paid for it...

Dumb.

Anyone else having trouble getting their STEAM client to log in. Just switched to my laptop from my desktop and now I can't log in.

[quote name='asheskitty']Even better
spoilers.gif
[/QUOTE]

I have that on a t-shirt :D

Sigh. Magicka again.

Also, the Steam client has been really annoying me lately. It keeps freezing and/or signing me on/off multiple times in rapid succession. At first I thought that was because of my internet, but now I'm pretty sure I can blame Steam itself.

Stop it, Steam. Or I'll have to send you to your room with no dinner!

I've been playing Governor of Poker for the last 20 minutes and... it's alright, actually.

There's some kind of storyline to it, you'll have to "work your way up the ranks" and so on in order to take over the town, but hey it's poker. If you have zero interest in poker it's probably not for you. If you want to learn how to play but don't have a clue where to start, this might be a good call (if you don't have Poker Night At The Inventory).

There's a few nice visual prompts and it walks you through the hands quite easily, it's certainly not the worst game I've played this year.

I note that there's a "vanilla" version which is only £1.99, it lacks a few extra towns/characters etc. though.

[quote name='Flowette']I've been playing Governor of Poker for the last 20 minutes and... it's alright, actually.

There's some kind of storyline to it, you'll have to "work your way up the ranks" and so on in order to take over the town, but hey it's poker. If you have zero interest in poker it's probably not for you. If you want to learn how to play but don't have a clue where to start, this might be a good call (if you don't have Poker Night At The Inventory).

There's a few nice visual prompts and it walks you through the hands quite easily, it's certainly not the worst game I've played this year.

I note that there's a "vanilla" version which is only £1.99, it lacks a few extra towns/characters etc. though.[/QUOTE]

So, in your opinion is Poker Night better then Governor of Poker? I can play poker ok & the storyline to it sounds neat.

[quote name='glennfrank']There sure are a lot of Front Mission Evolved giveaways suddenly on Steamgifts... any idea if it's free or ridiculously cheap somewhere?[/QUOTE]
It was on sale some days ago, on amazon I think

[quote name='jshackles']Looks like the Indie Gala Magicka bundle added "Home". On a side note, Steam has been acting really weird and slow for this morning, so it took me a while to realize I already owned it :D[/QUOTE]

Ahww what? That game is totally worthless :( I bought it last sale and it was Bo-o-o-o-o-ring.

[quote name='Seraphym']So, in your opinion is Poker Night better then Governor of Poker? I can play poker ok & the storyline to it sounds neat.[/QUOTE]
Poker Night is basically just a series of games. You play a game, you might get a chance to get an achievement or win a TF2 item from an opponent, but that's kinda it. It's got more character to it, but in terms of depth there's not much there.

There ain't much depth to Governor either, from what little I've seen, but at least there's a point to it. And it involves hats.

asheskitty has just purchased Governor of Poker 2: Premium Edition

Just played an hour of the Governor of Poker 2 demo. It's not bad, has some interesting mechanics such as showing your cards after a bluff, opponent AI going "on tilt." Cutesy little in-game tracking achievements, some odd town management real estate stuff...you can buy town buildings with your winnings and then use them as chips in the poker games if you run short on cash.

And there are hat stores.

Probably will convince myself to buy this before the night is over.

At a certain point they just need to give Magicka away for free and stop selling it so it doesn't take up a perfectly good sale slot.

[quote name='Therapy']Ahww what? That game is totally worthless :( I bought it last sale and it was Bo-o-o-o-o-ring.[/QUOTE]

I will provide a counterpoint and say that I thought home was a delightfully eerie narrative experience. It's a short adventure game with various choices you can make that alter what's actually happening in the story, like a choose your own adventure novel. It's creepy and sticks with you for awhile after finishing it.

It's also only two hours long, tops, and obviously is not for everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back