The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
For convenience, here are links to the deals currently being discussed:

Microsoft 5-Game Arcade Pack on Amazon, $9.99 (or $4.99 after voucher), includes Steam keys for DEADLIGHT, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Iron Brigade, Mark of the Ninja, and Toy Soldiers. Games are also individually discounted.

The Book of Unwritten Tales Standard Edition / Deluxe Edition on Green Man Gaming, $5.43/$6.79 after coupon code GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Any opinions here on The Book of Unwritten Tales? GMG has it for 66% off then plus the coupon, and for some reason I'm feeling compelled to get it. Which is odd because I should be spending my time with Mark of the Ninja having finally picked that up from the Amazon bundle.[/QUOTE]

My GF liked it. She showed me scenes parodying LotR, and bubble shield hearthstoning paladins. It was pretty amusing.

I've already used all of my Amazon EC vouchers (thought I had more than I did, but one of the emails I'd saved was for the ACIII discount from buying a Vita), but I'm thinking I'll grab the 5-game pack anyway. There's a lot there for ten bucks and I'm glad I held off on buying MotN for $7.49 that couple of times. (Of course, if someone has extra vouchers left and wanted to help me out, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea...)

Edit: Transaction complete. (Thanks!)

[quote name='DPsycho']For convenience, here are links to the deals currently being discussed:

Microsoft 5-Game Arcade Pack on Amazon, $9.99 (or $4.99 after voucher), includes Steam keys for DEADLIGHT, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Iron Brigade, Mark of the Ninja, and Toy Soldiers. Games are also individually discounted.

The Book of Unwritten Tales Standard Edition / Deluxe Edition on Green Man Gaming, $5.43/$6.79 after coupon code GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK[/QUOTE]
The 5-Game pack is quite the amazing deal, even before the $5 credit is factored in. Just for the sake of clarification, the titles in the 5-Game pack do indeed Activate on Steam.

[quote name='DPsycho']Daily deal is Orcs Must Die! for 75% off. Only applies to the original game and its DLC, not the sequel.[/QUOTE]

While the first one is an awesome game, the sequel is even bigger and better, can be played co-op, and includes many of the original maps. You wouldn't be missing out on much backstory either.

[quote name='dfg']While the first one is an awesome game, the sequel is even bigger and better, can be played co-op, and includes many of the original maps. You wouldn't be missing out on much backstory either.[/QUOTE]
You do need the first game for the original maps though.

[quote name='yamayama']Before I make my purchase can someone tell me about this "voucher"?[/QUOTE]

If you bought something in Amazon's PCDD store between Nov 16th 2012 & December 31st 2012, you were given a voucher good for $5 off a purchase of a game on the Editor's Choice list in January.

If you don't have a voucher, you might be able to find somebody to help you. Vouchers are tied to people's accounts, so they'd have to buy the bundle for you and send you the keys.

[quote name='deftrance']Is this worth a purchase if I already own the second?[/QUOTE]

They are pretty much identical except that the 2nd has co-op. Sure there are some different traps and some other additions, but it feel extremely similar to the other.

I put it this way. There is no need to own both, unless you absolutely love them. If you like playing alone more than co-op get the first, and if you enjoy co-op more get the 2nd.

I loved the 1st and when I got the 2nd I was glad on won it on steamgifts because it felt like it could have been dlc or an expansion and not its own game. There was just never a point in time that I felt like I wasn't playing the original but in new maps with acid sprayers rather than arrow traps. I would assume it goes the other way as well.

[quote name='Kaltic']They are pretty much identical except that the 2nd has co-op. Sure there are some different traps and some other additions, but it feel extremely similar to the other.

I put it this way. There is no need to own both, unless you absolutely love them. If you like playing alone more than co-op get the first, and if you enjoy co-op more get the 2nd.

I loved the 1st and when I got the 2nd I was glad on won it on steamgifts because it felt like it could have been dlc or an expansion and not its own game. There was just never a point in time that I felt like I wasn't playing the original but in new maps with acid sprayers rather than arrow traps.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I needed. Thank you! Now if I can just find someone with an extra EC laying around, my sunday will be set :D

IMO, no real reason to buy OMD1 if you own OMD2. I played the first before the second came out -- great game but doesn't really offer much different at this stage.

huge problem here guys.

i logged into steam a few minutes ago and all but one of my games is missing from my library :bomb:

what the f'ck am i supposed to do? i tried contacting customer support, but it will probably be a while before they respond.

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']huge problem here guys.

i logged into steam a few minutes ago and all but one of my games is missing from my library :bomb:

what the f'ck am i supposed to do? i tried contacting customer support, but it will probably be a while before they respond.[/QUOTE]

If you sign out and back in, are they still gone? Do you have a filter applied to your game list? If you visit the Steam website, do you have the familiar green banner under games you know you own?

Also, do most (or any) of your games come from keys purchased on sites overseas?

[quote name='The End']If you bought something in Amazon's PCDD store between Nov 16th 2012 & December 31st 2012, you were given a voucher good for $5 off a purchase of a game on the Editor's Choice list in January.

If you don't have a voucher, you might be able to find somebody to help you. Vouchers are tied to people's accounts, so they'd have to buy the bundle for you and send you the keys.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I forgot I got that voucher. Thanks for the help!

:cool:

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']huge problem here guys.

what the f'ck am i supposed to do? i tried contacting customer support, but it will probably be a while before they respond.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you have nothing typed in the search area.

[quote name='jshackles']If you sign out and back in, are they still gone? Do you have a filter applied to your game list? If you visit the Steam website, do you have the familiar green banner under games you know you own?

Also, do most (or any) of your games come from keys purchased on sites overseas?[/QUOTE]

i tried signing out and in multiple times; nothing changed. there's no banner under games i own. when i click on the games it only gives me the option to purchase them again. i can't find them anywhere on my computer either.

no; i bought all of my games directly from steam.

GMG has Train Simulator 2013 is the daily at $7.50 ($6 AC) -- cheaper than the Steam Winter sale. It's also a cheap way to pick up some UK DLC including: Sherman Hill, London to Brighton, Northeast Corridor and Isle of Wight. None of this overlaps with DLC from the Steam Summer Sale Train Simulator 2012 DLC.

Everyone who owned Train Simulator/Railworks on steam got a free upgrade to the base 2013 Train Simulator. 2013 now includes co-op :bouncy:

I'm thinking about buying the Hitman Collection off of steam for $6.24. Good price? Did any of you enjoy the games in the collection?

[quote name='oman19']I'm thinking about buying the Hitman Collection off of steam for $6.24. Good price? Did any of you enjoy the games in the collection?[/QUOTE]

Contracts it's still missing, for a copyrighted song I think. So just to let you know, it's not a complete collection. But for that price grab it.

Bah. Helped one too many CAG and now I'm out of coupons. I'll pass on AoEIII but looks like I'm going to be on the corner with a sign for the Fable collection

I spent a lot of time playing Dungeons & Dragons Online, and heard Lord of the Rings Online was great if you're a fan of the lore. It helps that those both started out as paid MMOs. With how many are currently on Steam, it'd probably be easier to recommend a good F2P MMO with some direction on what type of gameplay you enjoy.

[quote name='Stonekeep']Contracts it's still missing, for a copyrighted song I think. So just to let you know, it's not a complete collection. But for that price grab it.[/QUOTE]

"Immortal" by Clutch is that song - the reason why Contract isn't currently vailable anywhere anymore.
The contract (pun intended) never got renewed for that song.

Honestly I feel this discussion derailed in an unhelpful way.

Oman19, if you are uncertain, Blood Money is the easy recommend. It's well regarded from both gameplay and isnt' too old. Hitman 47 dates back to 2000 and shows it's age -- it's not regarded as smooth experience (from a gameplay standpoint). Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (2002) generally improves on the original. Don't stress about Contracts (2004), CAGs are extra fascinated with it since isn't available in normal channels anymore. Only a few of us picked it up from Gamefly before it was pulled.

It looks like licensing with Hitman: Contracts will be sorted very soon.

Hitman HD: Trilogy to refresh classic titles in early 2013
Obviously the past few weeks has been all about Hitman Absolution, and it's great to see that so many people are playing and talking about the game – but there's another Agent 47-related release that we'd like to make you aware of.
Hitman HD: Trilogy.
From early next year you'll be able to grab three of 47's previous adventures in one place, with over 40 missions to complete, all in glorious HD. The games included are:
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Contracts
Hitman: Blood Money

The HD Trilogy will be available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in North America on January 29 and across Europe and PAL territories on February 1.
It's something that lots of people have been asking for – and pretty soon you'll be able to get your hands on it!

[quote name='MysterD']"Immortal" by Clutch is that song - the reason why Contract isn't currently vailable anywhere anymore.
The contract (pun intended) never got renewed for that song.[/QUOTE]

My brother in laws favorite band lol. I wonder why it didn't get renewed. Seems odd.

[quote name='asheskitty']Honestly I feel this discussion derailed in an unhelpful way.

Oman19, if you are uncertain, Blood Money is the easy recommend. It's well regarded from both gameplay and isnt' too old. Hitman 47 dates back to 2000 and shows it's age -- it's not regarded as smooth experience (from a gameplay standpoint). Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (2002) generally improves on the original. Don't stress about Contracts (2004), CAGs are extra fascinated with it since isn't available in normal channels anymore. Only a few of us picked it up from Gamefly before it was pulled.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I just picked up the collection. I have a huge backlog but I've always been curious about this series. At this price hard to say no.

[quote name='oman19']My brother in laws favorite band lol. I wonder why it didn't get renewed. Seems odd.[/QUOTE]

They probably want too much money, and given the game isn't exactly selling much these days, Square didn't want to pay. Same reason as GTA. Record company wants too much for an MJ song, so Rockstar removed it rather than pay the license fee.

[quote name='asheskitty']GMG has Train Simulator 2013 is the daily at $7.50 ($6 AC) -- cheaper than the Steam Winter sale. It's also a cheap way to pick up some UK DLC including: Sherman Hill, London to Brighton, Northeast Corridor and Isle of Wight. None of this overlaps with DLC from the Steam Summer Sale Train Simulator 2012 DLC.

Everyone who owned Train Simulator/Railworks on steam got a free upgrade to the base 2013 Train Simulator. 2013 now includes co-op :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

For those interested, this is the version that's no longer offered on Steam, which has the Northeast Corridor route included. The NC expansion is normally $39.99 by itself.

Also, the daily deal flipped over from a sale on just the original Orcs Must Die to both games and all DLC. The Franchise Pack is available for $8.74.

[quote name='asheskitty']GMG has Train Simulator 2013 is the daily at $7.50 ($6 AC) -- cheaper than the Steam Winter sale. It's also a cheap way to pick up some UK DLC including: Sherman Hill, London to Brighton, Northeast Corridor and Isle of Wight. None of this overlaps with DLC from the Steam Summer Sale Train Simulator 2012 DLC.

Everyone who owned Train Simulator/Railworks on steam got a free upgrade to the base 2013 Train Simulator. 2013 now includes co-op :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Head's up AK. And thanks for the bump SS42. I would have missed it if you hadn't quoted it.

Too bad they don't have any of the DLC for 75% off too.

Speaking of 75% off, looks like Sleeping Dogs is the final offering in the Square weekend sale.

What's that sound!?! OMG! Watch your head, it's a code drop!

Alien Shooter 2: Conscription
IQQWE-W3WG4-73QNH
Duke Nukem Forever
LQ8W4-FTHJP-XCIYA
Greed: Black Border
8WJ6F-95TJE-9GW0L
Magicka
3PM0H-ZGHDJ-WVZID
Trapped Dead
3K8PP-73X8I-KPN3Y
Trine
3W6PP-XZJQR-7PYQ2
Twin Sector
R6WHA-EM5RH-VP2DK
Victoria II:
3NE3I-GT388-06XED
Zombie Shooter
7FA63-9FN2R-FL6YH

[quote name='walkonshadows']What's that sound!?! OMG! Watch your head, it's a code drop!

IQQWE-W3WG4-73QNH
Duke Nukem Forever
LQ8W4-FTHJP-XCIYA
Greed: Black Border
8WJ6F-95TJE-9GW0L
Magicka
3PM0H-ZGHDJ-WVZID
Trapped Dead
3K8PP-73X8I-KPN3Y
Trine
3W6PP-XZJQR-7PYQ2
Twin Sector
R6WHA-EM5RH-VP2DK
Victoria II:
3NE3I-GT388-06XED
Zombie Shooter
7FA63-9FN2R-FL6YH
[/QUOTE]

Thanks WoS!

Snagged Duke and Trapped Dead.

[quote name='KaOTiK']75% off ? pff I don't deal with anything that isn't at least 91% off[/QUOTE]

I prefer my 91% discounts doubled, personally.

[quote name='walkonshadows']What's that sound!?! OMG! Watch your head, it's a code drop!

IQQWE-W3WG4-73QNH
[/QUOTE]
I've managed to redeem this one. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back