The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spoderman']This particular testing was announced around May, I think, and they were supposedly going to start the actual testing in the summer of 2012. One of the new plans is a 300gb cap (instead of the previous 250gb cap), and you pay $10 for every 50gb after exceeding it. I don't any plans were confirmed yet though, so I'm not sure if they'll go through with any of it.

I go over 250gb pretty often, so it's an issue for me.. but they've never done anything about it in the past, so I guess I've been lucky.[/QUOTE]

I used to have Comcast and I often went over 250 GB too but even that was better than the 200 GB cap I have now :( That extra 50 GB doesn't seem like much but it really does make a difference, lol. Especially since I share internet with 3 other people that also like to download stuff.

[quote name='zillionandnine']I used to have Comcast and I often went over 250 GB too but even that was better than the 200 GB cap I have now :( That extra 50 GB doesn't seem like much but it really does make a difference, lol. Especially since I share internet with 3 other people that also like to download stuff.[/QUOTE]

They havent enforced the cap in my area for about 6 months.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']They havent enforced the cap in my area for about 6 months.[/QUOTE]

Lucky.

I have a different ISP now (I moved) and they gave me a nice little email last time I went over 200 GB, ha. So I've been having to monitor the entire house's internet data usage more closely.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Lucky.

I have a different ISP now (I moved) and they gave me a nice little email last time I went over 200 GB, ha. So I've been having to monitor the entire house's internet data usage more closely.[/QUOTE]

I mean I realize that few people use 200 gb a month but is 200gb really that much in this day and age?

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I mean I realize that few people use 200 gb a month but is 200gb really that much in this day and age?[/QUOTE]

No my daily downloads equal around 100gig normally... (I have 4 3tb hard drives to mess with)

[quote name='stupidproz1']No my daily downloads equal around 100gig normally... (I have 4 3tb hard drives to mess with)[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that you visit the "bay" a lot?

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I'm guessing that you visit the "bay" a lot?[/QUOTE]

that is a pretty big assumption to make

people who use "the bay" that much would have no use for this website

[quote name='vince_carter']that is a pretty big assumption to make

people who use "the bay" that much would have no use for this website[/QUOTE]

Off topic
Shocking, I know. That never happens in this thread.

I saw you post in the thread for the $20 PS Vita on ebay the other night that you decided to take a shot and buy it. I'm 100% sure that it will turn out to be a scam, but I'm a little bit curious how it all unfolds. Keep us (or me at least) informed.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I'm guessing that you visit the "bay" a lot?[/QUOTE]
We were using around 800GB in a month in a flat of four. I have no idea what my flatmates were doing, but I was going through 150-250GB myself without any piracy.

[quote name='The End']Off topic

I saw you post in the thread for the $20 PS Vita on ebay the other night that you decided to take a shot and buy it. I'm 100% sure that it will turn out to be a scam, but I'm a little bit curious how it all unfolds. Keep us (or me at least) informed.[/QUOTE]

they shipped me something and sent me tracking numbers, but ebay already contacted me to tell me they were scammers

i can't wait to see what shows up

lol that should be interesting.

Well you're pretty much assured that you'll get your money back. So you can just sit back and wait to see what color rocks that guy sent you.

[quote name='vince_carter']they shipped me something and sent me tracking numbers, but ebay already contacted me to tell me they were scammers

i can't wait to see what shows up[/QUOTE]
Sure, until you open the box and it's full of Nigerian terrorists or something.

I'm interested in getting Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld but I don't know if I should wait for the PS3 HD collection to go back on sale or get the steam versions. Any ideas? PS3 copies were running 7.50 + freeshipping around Christmas but were OSS.

[quote name='AVacuousSmile']I'm interested in getting Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld but I don't know if I should wait for the PS3 HD collection to go back on sale or get the steam versions. Any ideas? PS3 copies were running 7.50 + freeshipping around Christmas but were OSS.[/QUOTE]

Get the Steam versions. Anniversary has poor framerate on consoles, and all of the games had washed out colors on PS3 when I played them. I have them for 360, PS3, and PC. PC versions are definitely the best. Only disadvantage is the 360 version of Underworld has exclusive DLC that you can't get on PC/PS3.

[quote name='DPsycho']Thanks for the alert! I've been checking once a day and was really starting to doubt we'd see them in January at all.[/QUOTE]

No problem just wanted to make sure everyone knew because that glitch was epic and many people were disappointing they couldn't get their keys.

[quote name='DPsycho']I'm hoping it's Velveeta.[/QUOTE]

:drool:

[quote name='The End']Off topic

I saw you post in the thread for the $20 PS Vita on ebay the other night that you decided to take a shot and buy it. I'm 100% sure that it will turn out to be a scam, but I'm a little bit curious how it all unfolds. Keep us (or me at least) informed.[/QUOTE]

I bought one as well, along with a 10.1" tablet. Ebay removed the auction and sent me the same alerts, and the packages were already marked as "shipped" for me, too. I figured that even Apple products are made in China, so if they sent anything perhaps it would be a similar device with similar functionality. And if it turns out to be Nigerians, we're pretty much guaranteed to win the dispute and get our money back.

Edit: I just checked my tracking number here and it says it's in sorting. People were posting that they wouldn't send anything in that thread, but now I'm a little curious.

[quote name='spoderman']Get the Steam versions. Anniversary has poor framerate on consoles, and all of the games had washed out colors on PS3 when I played them. I have them for 360, PS3, and PC. PC versions are definitely the best. Only disadvantage is the 360 version of Underworld has exclusive DLC that you can't get on PC/PS3.[/QUOTE]

Were the extras (like the making of video / trophies) worthwhile?
I guess I'll just get the Steam version. Thanks for your help!

[quote name='AVacuousSmile']Were the extras (like the making of video / trophies) worthwhile?
I guess I'll just get the Steam version. Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the making of videos, never watched them. I'd guess you might be able to find them on youtube or something? I value better graphics/framerate over whatever bonuses the PS3 version has though. I don't care that much for trophies. The only reason I'd get the PS3 version is if you have a terrible PC, otherwise I'd get them on Steam.

PS3 trilogy also comes with a static theme, but since it's not dynamic, I don't use it.

When I had the 250GB cap I had one roommate and between the two of use we never went over, but usually only had a handful of gigs to spare. We streamed and downloaded a lot, but I can see how a whole family would have issues, or even when I lived with 4 other roommates, if they had been as active on the internet as me (3 of them barely downloaded anything and we mostly all streamed to the living room TV) it would have been a serious issue.

[quote name='spoderman']I'm not sure about the making of videos, never watched them. I'd guess you might be able to find them on youtube or something? I value better graphics/framerate over whatever bonuses the PS3 version has though. I don't care that much for trophies. The only reason I'd get the PS3 version is if you have a terrible PC, otherwise I'd get them on Steam.

PS3 trilogy also comes with a static theme, but since it's not dynamic, I don't use it.[/QUOTE]

I guess if the graphics/framerate is that bad I'll grab the Steam version. Thanks for you're help! :D

[quote name='The End']lol that should be interesting.

Well you're pretty much assured that you'll get your money back. So you can just sit back and wait to see what color rocks that guy sent you.[/QUOTE]

That`s Funny
I remember two friends buying a new TV sealed in the Box from some shady dude
It did have a new remote control in package taped to the top of Box

Turned out to be a Box of Rocks....

If it`s too Good to be True. Its probably not

I avoided buying the last three Tomb Raider games on PC since some old Steam threads said they looked worse than the PS3 version and didn't support high resolutions, but it sounds like that was BS. I might pick them up now and maybe even Angel of Darkness to complete my collection.

[quote name='bshirk']I avoided buying the last three Tomb Raider games on PC since some old Steam threads said they looked worse than the PS3 version and didn't support high resolutions, but it sounds like that was BS. I might pick them up now and maybe even Angel of Darkness to complete my collection.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there's no way that the PC versions look worse.. they're far superior. I do know that the PS3 version of Anniversary has better framerate than the 360 version (but both have crappy framerate, PS3's just sucks less). The textures for the PS3 trilogy were updated, so they might look a bit better than they did on 360.. but they aren't better than PC. PS3 trilogy has some advantages over the 360, but none over PC. I don't know why anyone would say they don't support high resolutions.. I run them at 1920x1200.

BTW if you do end up buying them on Steam, turn off Data Execution Protection for the 3 games. It causes some crashes with Legend, not sure about the other 2.

Very few of the HD collection ports that are all the rage these days tend to look any better than a PC version has been looking for years. The only real reason to buy them are if you only have consoles or the port was legendarily terrible like Devil May Cry 3.

[quote name='spoderman']Yeah there's no way that the PC versions look worse.. they're far superior. I do know that the PS3 version of Anniversary has better framerate than the 360 version (but both have crappy framerate, PS3's just sucks less). The textures for the PS3 trilogy were updated, so they might look a bit better than they did on 360.. but they aren't better than PC. PS3 trilogy has some advantages over the 360, but none over PC. I don't know why anyone would say they don't support high resolutions.. I run them at 1920x1200.

BTW if you do end up buying them on Steam, turn off Data Execution Protection for the 3 games. It causes some crashes with Legend, not sure about the other 2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I hadn't heard about that causing crashes. I'll likely be getting these on PC then.

Ok. Tried the "Archive" option within the Gamestop Client to backup Planescape Torment. It succesfully created a .impulse file.

Then I tried the Restore option in the tools menu. I get a "archive could not be restored" message

It seems to be an OLD issue (https://forums.impulsedriven.com/350804)

I created a post in the forums asking about this... but I can tell you... Unless I am doing something wrong, this is my first and LAST purchase from Gamestop. I don't like this

Looks like the Prototype pack from amazon last year was a waste for me. Prototype 1, after having a sudden difficulty spike where I couldn't even injure those creatures in the warehouse last night I restarted on easy, and now it runs around 5fps. I've played the game before on 360 so I know it's not that difficult, but that was just absurd. Throwing me against 5 of those large mutants when the only power I have is claw and the game forced permanent sprint so I couldn't pick up the rocket launchers like it wanted me to is just stupid.

I've also been playing Hotline Miami and am getting frustrated at map 13 where I cleared out two floors of the building and then get pushed outside the elevator, to midair. I can't reset the map and the only solution was to restart from the bottom floor. Grumble.

Thinking of Buying the Deus Ex collection, but only really interested in Deus Ex:HR, should I Just buy the solo game or are the DLC's worth getting as well?

[quote name='Curtsey']Thinking of Buying the Deus Ex collection, but only really interested in Deus Ex:HR, should I Just buy the solo game or are the DLC's worth getting as well?[/QUOTE]

IMO, the only DLC that is worth getting is The Missing Link. It's no ME2:LotSB, but still fairly solid at extending your HR experience. The others are just primarily in-game bonuses that you can live without. Even the extra mission in the Explosive Mission Pack is very minor. Though, if you're a fan, there's nothing wrong with getting them all (because that's what I did).

Alright so today I was playing CS:GO and for some reason, the game kept on randomly forcing me to look down or up. Is this normal? BTW I'm using a 360 controller if that matters.

[quote name='Curtsey']Thinking of Buying the Deus Ex collection, but only really interested in Deus Ex:HR, should I Just buy the solo game or are the DLC's worth getting as well?[/QUOTE]

I have no clue on the older DLC's for DE:HR...

...but Deus Ex: Human Revolution (base game) + Missing Link DLC are great stuff. :D

Deus Ex: HR (base game) is absolutely fantastic.
Missing Link DLC is actually one of the better DLC's out there, compared to most DLC's on the market.

[quote name='osso1']That`s Funny
I remember two friends buying a new TV sealed in the Box from some shady dude
It did have a new remote control in package taped to the top of Box

Turned out to be a Box of Rocks....

If it`s too Good to be True. Its probably not[/QUOTE]

I find it difficult to believe that they wouldn't be able to tell the difference in weight distribution between a television and a box of rocks when lifting it.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I find it difficult to believe that they wouldn't be able to tell the difference in weight distribution between a television and a box of rocks when lifting it.[/QUOTE]

These are guys that weren't tipped off when the remote was taped to the side of a sealed box.

The Squenix deals started and changeover in the evening.

Looking at when Tomb Raider's prices revert, expect the new sale in just under six hours.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Apparently, it's still Friday. Thursday seemed like it lasted a really long time as well.[/QUOTE]

This Square Enix thing seems to have the daily updating around 4 PM PST (WTF?). I can only assume that 10 AM is way too early to switch daily when you have the sorta hangover those guys do.

...either that or Gabe got sick of the "woe is me, I missed the Friday daily" tweets and decided to confuse everyone.

[quote name='Progamer665']Which Sleeping Dogs dlc is actually worth the money?[/QUOTE]

Common consensus is: "None".

There's some support for the content DLC such as the zombie thingy at North Point, but anything such as outfits etc. seems like a waste. Save your pennies.

[quote name='DPsycho']Daily deal is Skyrim, 50% off. Does not include preorders for the Dragonborn DLC coming on the 5th.[/QUOTE]

That's kinda boring. Where's the excitement?
Where's the steam key roulette?
No Hunted: The Demon's Forge, no deal.
You know what goes really well with Skyrim? DOOM3 BFG. ;)
I hope they at least send out random cancellations.
In for a 20% off all steam purchases in 2013.

[quote name='Progamer665']Which Sleeping Dogs dlc is actually worth the money?[/QUOTE]
The two story DLCs, and there is a SWAT pack that gives you 20 extra cop missions.

[quote name='DPsycho']Daily deal is Skyrim, 50% off. Does not include preorders for the Dragonborn DLC coming on the 5th.[/QUOTE]

Well ain't that a kick in the nads? Even the PS3 version is getting 50% off for the first week. Granted PS3 players have had a to wait an eternity for any DLC for Skyrim, but still that's a little sour to not offer some sort of discount for PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back