The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
For those interested on the Groupees Rock for meals bundle, I just bought it. The stars are Fifty Dollar Dinasty and The Mothership, IMHO. All the bands are great... but those two are the stars

For those that were considering Deadlight (from the Amazon bundle for a cheaper price than what it is on Steam right now), the game is decent but not really worth the asking price. I sat down to play it and beat it in three hours with nearly every achievement in the game (sans beating it in Nightmare mode). The game played a little like Shadow Complex but without any upgrades to weapons or development to the main character. The story was a little boring and predictable, puzzles were not in the least bit challenging, and it had a number of graphical and sound issues that prevented it from running very well on my mid-high end machine. I'm sure if the latter were fixed, I would have enjoyed it even a tad more. The backgrounds were really detailed and well done but were overshadowed by the fact that the video customization was basically nil. In short, this game really felt messy and haphazardly put together. Its amazing it even passed Microsoft's QA.

I would recommend it for those that are looking to play a 2D Zombie Shooter that focuses more on platforming than combat. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is expecting a polished, engaging game that is anything more than an excuse to cross another game off a backlog list.

Overall, I would give it a 3/10. It was well worth the dollar I paid for it but I wouldn't recommend it for anything more than that.

All keys gone except the one for DOTA 2... my preciousssssss... ;)

[quote name='asheskitty']Your GTX 650 has very similar performance to my GTX 260. No clue about Win8, but in Win7 using a Basic (non-Aero) theme bought me 10+FPS in Sleeping Dogs. Below is the tweak guide I used, as well as my benchmark. Try my settings on the benchmark and see what you get.[/QUOTE]

I finally got Sleeping Dogs to work thanks to the benchmark suggested by ashes (didn't even noticed it was included in the game), and was able to turn ambient occlusion and motion blur up a notch... guess what, the game automatically took my integrated HD4000 as the default GPU, so I had to force GT650 output through the NVIDIA control panel. I had the very same problem with Magicka.
Time to throw it again into my backlog, then... :lol:

[quote name='glennfrank']I'd be into getting the bundle just for Lucius if I hadn't already watched Dodger's (press heart to continue) entire play-through on youtube.[/QUOTE]

Now that is about the cheapest cheap ass gamer you can possibly be. Keeping yourself safe from repetitive motion injuries is a plus. Well done. :lol:

[quote name='walkonshadows'][quote name='Junpei']Thanks, I saw that you already posted your benchmark some messages ago, but it flew over my head somehow... I'll try that once I get home :)

Here are my results, oddly the average fps stays relatively the same...

With Aero, V-Sync On:
sleeping_dos_with_aero_v_sync_on.jpg

With Aero, V-Sync off:
sleeping_dos_with_aero_v_sync_off.jpg

Without Aero, V-Sync On:
sleeping_dos_without_aero_v_sync_on.jpg

Without Aero, V-Sync Off:
sleeping_dos_without_aero_v_sync_off.jpg

As you can see, there is a marked improvement with Aero turned off, but in my case, only when V-Sync is turned off.[/QUOTE]

Actually, don't you get better performance with Aero turned on and V-Sync off rather than both turned off? lol

& yeah, Nightmare In North Point was not fun. Still, Sleeping Dogs was my personal favorite game of the year.

[quote name='Junpei']All keys gone except the one for DOTA 2... my preciousssssss... ;)
[/QUOTE]

You could always spam the Steam community forums for every game with threads titled 'Trading DOTA 2 for this game!'.

Dota 2 can now be sold on the market! And there is a newlisting on the market for games.... So expect to be able to sell games on your inventory this year :D

Is anyone interested in APB Reloaded? Really fun team based open-world crime TPS. F2P, definitely not P2W (pay to win). The game seriously has the best customization in any game ever. Ever.

I've got a code for 3 free days of premium that I'll give to the first person who actually would play the game. Premium just means you get boosted cash and experience (towards equipment unlocks), really. Nice if you're starting up and learning, but not really necessary once you know what you're doing. I think the code should work for anyone.

PM me if you're interested!

[quote name='BernardoOne']Sleeping Dogs has the best cosmetic dlc ever
ixKWFQu7UZSjR.gif
[/QUOTE]

Wow, that area even looks like one from DXHR—the apartment/sleep tube complex.

[quote name='squijee']Wait aero themes really can affect my fps?[/QUOTE]

Never heard this either, but I know fuckall about tweaks and customization.

[quote name='dfg']Wow, that area even looks like one from DXHR—the apartment/sleep tube complex.[/QUOTE]

Well they do both take place in Hong Kong. Even though ones in the future, it makes sense they'd look similar.

[quote name='xanchui']New BL2 shift code good for 5 keys: KJW3B-BT9WC-9K6BB-BTTJ3-WTX99[/QUOTE]

Damn, you beat me to it.

I was totally going to be like,

On the twenty-ninth day of January, Randy Pitchford gave to me, five gold keys...

Four player mode,
Three download contents,
Two...

Ok, I've got nothing.

[quote name='Jon7']Well they do both take place in Hong Kong. Even though ones in the future, it makes sense they'd look similar.[/QUOTE]

i derp'd

Who's down for some first-world problems with all those Paradox keys?

[quote name='elessar123']Damn, you beat me to it.

On the twenty-ninth day of January, Randy Pitchford gave to me, five gold keys...

Four player mode,
Three download contents,
Two...

Ok, I've got nothing.[/QUOTE]

Sung in Crazy Earl's voice.

I think the Aero theme affecting your FPS is only an issue with low-end computers and laptops. I believe the concern is for paged graphics memory and RAM, so if you've got a DDR3/5, 1GB or higher GPU, you shouldn't notice much of a difference.

[quote name='Eldredpe']?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']All will be included in the EC promotion.

1. Pint Sized Paradox Package - $7.49 ($2.49 after coupon all Steam) contains:

• Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Majesty Gold - HD
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Faith
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Albion
  • Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Mongols DLC Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC Pack

2. Plentiful Paradox Package - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) all activate on Steam, contains:

• Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka Collection
  • Magicka The Stars Are Left DLC
  • Sword of the Stars - Complete Collection
  • Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition
  • Victoria II
3. Paradox Majesty Franchise - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) all activate on Steam, contains:

• Defenders of Ardania Battlemagic
  • Defenders of Ardania
  • Defenders of Ardania: The Conjurer's Tricks DLC
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Majesty Gold - HD
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane Master of Artifacts DLC
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane Power of the Serpent DLC
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane Return of the Elves DLC
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane Powerful Lords DLC
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane
4. Paradox War Chest - $7.49 (2.49 after coupon) all Steam except Achtung Panzer contains:

• Achtung Panzer Kharkov 1943 - NOT STEAM
  • Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • King Arthur Collections
  • King Arthur II
  • Victoria II
  • Victoria II: A House Divided - Expansion
Additionally, sometime tomorrow (when OPS is done making the bundles) these will go on sale:

Paradox 2012 Pack - $14.99 ($9.99 after coupon) I'll have to reconcile tomorrow what activates on Steam:

• A Game Of Dwarves
  • A Game of Dwarves: Ale Pack
  • A Game of Dwarves: Star Dwarves
  • Crusader King Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: African Portraits
  • Crusader Kings II: African Unit Pack DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Byzantine Unit Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shield II
  • Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Mediterranean Portraits DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Mongols DLC Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Russian Portraits
  • Crusader Kings II: Russian Unit Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of Byzantium
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of Prosperity DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Caliph DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land DLC
  • Crusader Kings II: Songs of the RU
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic DLC
  • Starvoid
  • War of the Roses - House of York Deluxe Edition
  • War of the Roses: House of Lancaster Armor Set DLC
  • War of the Roses: House of York Armor Set DLC
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane Master of Artifacts DLC
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane Power of the Serpent DLC
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane Return of the Elves DLC
  • Warlock Master of the Arcane: Armageddon
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane - Powerful Lords DLC
Crusader Kings Pack - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon): All Crusader Kings Content Amazon Digital Carries (Crusader Kings Complete + Crusader Kings II + DLC).

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

It would seem that all but the big pack are live as of now.

Nice deals.

All I'm really looking for out of that stuff is CKII (Kind of more interested in the mods, so I don't even really care about the DLC).

If anyone is planning to get a pack and doesn't need CKII, I would gladly buy it off you.

[quote name='spoderman']While I thought Sleeping Dogs is a good game, the main issues I had with it were lack of variety, and lack of challenge. The game is too easy, you can basically counter everything easily (melee) and use slow-mo for gun fights. There isn't one single thing I could think of in the game that had any challenge to it, which doesn't seem to be brought up much.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you in that is wasn't very challenging (not even Batman-challenging, thoughI thought Batman:AC NG+ wasn't that challenging). Imo, I thought the gunplay was lousy until I approached it like HK cinema would, running, vaulting, bullet-time. That said, I wasn't expecting it to be as brawler-focused as Batman. I thought the total package of the base game was well done, new scenery, new story, new violent triad/undercover cop balance mechanic, and not too long.

[quote name='Junpei']All keys gone except the one for DOTA 2... my preciousssssss... ;)

I finally got Sleeping Dogs to work thanks to the benchmark suggested by ashes (didn't even noticed it was included in the game), and was able to turn ambient occlusion and motion blur up a notch... guess what, the game automatically took my integrated HD4000 as the default GPU, so I had to force GT650 output through the NVIDIA control panel. I had the very same problem with Magicka.
Time to throw it again into my backlog, then... :lol:[/QUOTE]

About a week ago, I noticed my two giftable DOTA 2 copies disappeared from my inventory.

LOL. ^_^ I'm happy you got it running well.

[quote name='Blade']I think the Aero theme affecting your FPS is only an issue with low-end computers and laptops. I believe the concern is for paged graphics memory and RAM, so if you've got a DDR3/5, 1GB or higher GPU, you shouldn't notice much of a difference.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read some games automatically disable/re-enable Aero when the get full-screened/alt-tabbed. My main point is that I got another 10+ FPS in SD by manually disabling Aero. It's something to keep in mind to try for anyone trying to gain a bit more FPS. Theoretical is all nice and good, but benchmark or GTFO. ^_~

My computer is a Phenom II X3 720 BE OC'd @ 3.2 GHz with 12 GBs of RAM and a GTX 260 (55nm core 216 EVGA SuperClocked, 896 MB GDDR3) -- hardly low end. (mid-range workhorse) I'll assume your DDR remark is a typo.

[quote name='elessar123']

Four player mode,
Three download contents,
Two...

... guns a 'zerking?

[quote name='elessar123']Damn, you beat me to it.

Four player mode,
Three download contents,
Two...

[quote name='hal']... guns a 'zerking?[/QUOTE]

*ONE* GOLD-en Key ^_~

[quote name='Severose']5 Borderlands 2 Golden Keys, in case it wasn't mentioned.

KJW3B-BT9WC-9K6BB-BTTJ3-WTX99[/QUOTE]

I must have at least 50 keys now. Steam says I have 30 minutes playtime in BL2 - and it's all from redeeming these keys

[quote name='plft']The hardest part of Sleeping Dogs for me was driving on the left.[/QUOTE]
As a Brit, this confused me as well. Confusingly.

Guess Saints Row and GTA have conditioned me to drive on the right :lol:

[quote name='Flowette']As a Brit, this confused me as well. Confusingly.

Guess Saints Row and GTA have conditioned me to drive on the right :lol:[/QUOTE]

Guys.

You're playing these games wrong.

Taxis.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']You guys mean to say you leave your house/apartment in sandbox games?[/QUOTE]

Of course! How else do you get to the sandbox?

[quote name='asheskitty']Of course! How else do you get to the sandbox?[/QUOTE]

Years of WoW taught me that there's probably a flight point somewhere nearby. Just hop on a gryphon.

[quote name='Flowette']Years of WoW taught me that there's probably a flight point somewhere nearby. Just hop on a gryphon.[/QUOTE]

I love ThunderBluff, but the flight master just won't talk to me (when i'm on my Gnome Mage).

And, pfft. I got portals.

Remember WoW before connected flight paths?

[quote name='asheskitty']I love ThunderBluff, but the flight master just won't talk to me (when i'm on my Gnome Mage).

And, pfft. I got portals.

Remember WoW before connected flight paths?[/QUOTE]

I remember actually getting up from my PC and knowing how long I needed to be gone to hop on the next fp in the chain. If you were in Darnassus or Gadgets, man, you were in for a long road.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Guys.

You're playing these games wrong.

Taxis.[/QUOTE]

Hop in a police car, flip on the sirens, drive down the middle of the road. It is like playing Moses and parting the sea of traffic.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']What kind of a performance difference is there between a 120gb Hitachi (4 years old) and a Western Digital Scorpio Black (new)? I'm using SATA 1.[/QUOTE]

Transfer rates increase with data density (GB/platter), seek times do not (since platter will have to spin on average ~half a rotation to get elsewhere). There had been several articles on this on tomshards' storage section a couple years ago.

I feel that replacing your primary drives every few years not only nets you more storage and higher transfer rates, but also means that you are not running on aged drives (which may be closer to failure).

Spinning hard drives will (generally) not saturate SATA-1 (apart from cache bursting -- minor).

[quote name='asheskitty']Transfer rates increase with data density (GB/platter), seek times do not (since platter will have to spin on average ~half a rotation to get elsewhere). There had been several articles on this on tomshards' storage section a couple years ago.

I feel that replacing your primary drives every few years not only nets you more storage and higher transfer rates, but also means that you are not running on aged drives (which may be closer to failure).

Spinning hard drives will (generally) not saturate SATA-1 (apart from cache bursting -- minor).[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm replacing a 360 hdd so I'm limited to Western Digital 2.5" drives. :cry:

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Thanks! I'm replacing a 360 hdd so I'm limited to Western Digital 2.5" drives. :cry:[/QUOTE]

So.... why ask in the Steam thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back