The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dfg']
I disagree. It's a great value for people who don't already have many or most of the titles, or who don't want to spend the time hunting down cheap or free keys. For those of us who've accumulated tons of indie titles through all the bundles, it's not worth the money.[/QUOTE]

Nah, even then it's not worth the money. Not saying the games are bad but the discount is mediocre. Doesn't really take too much time to 'hunt down' those games when the HIBs are broadcast on half the internet.

[quote name='mac995555']Are people's disappointment of this sale because of the percentages or the games that are on sale? If it's the latter then I don't know what you were expecting, of course steam isn't going to put the best games on sale before Christmas. People are gonna get money/steam wallet codes for Christmas and it's better to wait till the 26th.[/QUOTE]

There has never been any pattern like that during Steam's Winter sales where the 'better deals' come on Christmas and afterwards. The sale is mediocre because as someone who has been following the major sales for the last three years or so I can objectively say the discounts on some of the same games have been getting smaller as have the number of titles that actually go on sale. It is what it is -- people aren't bashing Steam to be hip. The facts simply bear out that Valve has gotten complacent in terms of aggressive pricing due to their expanding share of the market.

[quote name='mac995555']Are people's disappointment of this sale because of the percentages or the games that are on sale? If it's the latter then I don't know what you were expecting, of course steam isn't going to put the best games on sale before Christmas. People are gonna get money/steam wallet codes for Christmas and it's better to wait till the 26th.[/QUOTE]

Both sale percentages and games thus far. And why wouldn't Steam put their "best" games on sale before Christmas?

[quote name='tham1988']if you have played it, is the melee combat comparable to condemned criminal origins?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no.
I'll explain my reasons for both.

Yes...b/c the melee combat in DI feels great, IMHO; even w/ a KB/mouse!
The game's also much different, if you throw a controller in and then enable "Analog Mode." It's feel much different and you have more control over your swing, but I find it harder to move around w/ controller as opposed to KB/mouse. It's pretty cool, regardless.

No...b/c the game isn't a PURE action game. Not always based on the player's pure skill. See, it has those ARPG elements. Your character levels up. Also, you can upgrade your weapon; repair your weapon (since they can break); and whatnot. While skill plays a factor a bit, so does also how you modify your weapons' at workbenches.

Damn, I can't believe that it's looking like the only thing I will have purchased direct from Steam was KOTOR II. In November.

I thought the Winter Sale was supposed to be better then the Autumn Sale? It feels like pretty much the same, just longer.

Summer sale was more fun because it at least had the more frequent flash deals and community voting.

[quote name='nategator']Damn, I can't believe that it's looking like the only thing I will have purchased direct from Steam was KOTOR II. In November.

I thought the Winter Sale was supposed to be better then the Autumn Sale? It feels like pretty much the same, just longer.

Summer sale was more fun because it at least had the more frequent flash deals and community voting.[/QUOTE]

Precisely this. The Autumn sale actually had steeper discounts on some titles... yes including dailies.

The sales prices have been pretty mediocre on Steam itself, and no fun extra meta-games like they have done in the past (coal, potatoes/ARGS/whatever). Yeah people tried to exploit the coal game but honestly it wouldn't be too hard to close the loopholes and come up with something unique and fun with the kind of resources Valve has.

Also, when will we start to rightfully get extra copies of games we purchase in Steam bundles? Buy a bundle on Amazon, get individual keys for items in the bundles (most of the time anyway). Buy a bundle on Steam and already own a game? Get nothing out of it but closing some DLC gaps.

I mean it feels like 99% of these deals aren't new territory and have been outdone before, or are being outdone by Amazon/GMG/GG/GF.

[quote name='MysterD']Yes and no.
I'll explain my reasons for both.

Yes...b/c the melee combat in DI feels great, IMHO; even w/ a KB/mouse!
The game's also much different, if you throw a controller in and then enable "Analog Mode." It's feel much different and you have more control over your swing, but I find it harder to move around w/ controller as opposed to KB/mouse. It's pretty cool, regardless.

No...b/c the game isn't a PURE action game. Not always based on the player's pure skill. See, it has those ARPG elements. Your character levels up. Also, you can upgrade your weapon; repair your weapon (since they can break); and whatnot. While skill plays a factor a bit, so does also how you modify your weapons' at workbenches.[/QUOTE]

I may have to purchase it

[quote name='Mooby']Nah, even then it's not worth the money. Not saying the games are bad but the discount is mediocre. Doesn't really take too much time to 'hunt down' those games when the HIBs are broadcast on half the internet.
[/QUOTE]

Seriously.

I mean if someone thinks those indie games are worth $70 and is too damned lazy to track them all down for cheaper pay me $70 and I'll go get them for them and keep the rest as my fee. :p

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']The walking dead the game. iOS version vs PC version? Which one do you guys think is better?[/QUOTE]

Didn't you ask this question already? I even remember someone answered.

[quote name='Motoki']Seriously.

I mean if someone thinks those indie games are worth $70 and is too damned lazy to track them all down for cheaper pay me $70 and I'll go get them for them and keep the rest as my fee. :p
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And I don't even use twitter or facebook. People who do surely have that much more of an advantage of getting alerted to such deals.

[quote name='xRidley']
I mean it feels like 99% of these deals aren't new territory and have been outdone before, or are being outdone by Amazon/GMG/GG/GF.[/QUOTE]

Well Gamersgate didn't intentionally outdo them. Their deals are pretty meh lately when they actually aren't messing on the pricing.

[quote name='dfg']
I disagree. It's a great value for people who don't already have many or most of the titles, or who don't want to spend the time hunting down cheap or free keys. For those of us who've accumulated tons of indie titles through all the bundles, it's not worth the money.[/QUOTE]

RE: The Indie Super Mega Pack
I agree. To someone who is new to Steam or PC gaming (and has missed all the bundles and sales we've already gotten in on), this is a fantastic deal. Basically, you're paying $2.33 per game for a broad selection of the best indie games of the last couple years. Will you love every game? No, but you'll get a lot of gameplay out of the pack, and the per game average is perfectly acceptable. Could you piece it together cheaper? Sure, but what's the effort worth to you?

Are you guys discussing time travel, or just frequent different marketplaces than I do? Where can you currently get those 30 titles for less than $70 cumulatively?

[quote name='bob_793']Was hoping for a better sale on two worlds.... I would buy both for for 7.49.... [/QUOTE]
TWII:VE was $0.16 a few months back (pricing error on the Russian store). You should be able to get a copy for a few dollars via trading.

[quote name='walkonshadows']I just bought Viking: Battle for Asgard from GamerGate for the Steam key and got this message:

"Your serial(s) will be available in about 10 minutes. In the meantime, you can start downloading the game."

Normal?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='asheskitty']Never seen that on GG.[/QUOTE]
^ That.

[quote name='Motoki']I don't know exactly when they started that but they always do that to me lately. It's not just Steamworks either. This morning they did it to me with the key for Frozen Hearth and also on the Origin Command and Conquer pack that I bought from someone else.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if it's some form of fraud / abuse prevention or check.

[quote name='xRidley']Yeah people tried to exploit the coal game but honestly it wouldn't be too hard to close the loopholes and come up with something unique and fun with the kind of resources Valve has.[/QUOTE]
There were no loopholes in the Summer Camp achievement hunt: the tickets were locked to your account, as were the prizes.

[quote name='xRidley']Also, when will we start to rightfully get extra copies of games we purchase in Steam bundles?.[/QUOTE]
As far from the present time as valve can get away with.

[quote name='xRidley']I mean it feels like 99% of these deals aren't new territory and have been outdone before, or are being outdone by Amazon/GMG/GG/GF.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Repeats (sometimes at lower discounts) and underwhelming new discounts.

[quote name='dfg']Are you guys discussing time travel, or just frequent different marketplaces than I do? Where can you currently get those 30 titles for less than $70 cumulatively?[/QUOTE]

Time travel is on the table, good sir. Who doesn't have access to it in this day and age?!?!

Re: The Gamer's Gate 10 min wait thing I saw that when I bought Deus Ex HR from them last year. After the 10 min I got my keys.

[quote name='xRidley']The sales prices have been pretty mediocre on Steam itself, and no fun extra meta-games like they have done in the past (coal, potatoes/ARGS/whatever). Yeah people tried to exploit the coal game but honestly it wouldn't be too hard to close the loopholes and come up with something unique and fun with the kind of resources Valve has.

Also, when will we start to rightfully get extra copies of games we purchase in Steam bundles? Buy a bundle on Amazon, get individual keys for items in the bundles (most of the time anyway). Buy a bundle on Steam and already own a game? Get nothing out of it but closing some DLC gaps.

I mean it feels like 99% of these deals aren't new territory and have been outdone before, or are being outdone by Amazon/GMG/GG/GF.[/QUOTE]

The reason we can't have nice things is because of people who just gotta post on SlickDeals.

You'd think with as much DLC out there as there is now, a ticket event like the Summer Camp one would be a good idea.

[quote name='Motoki']Well Gamersgate didn't intentionally outdo them. Their deals are pretty meh lately when they actually aren't messing on the pricing.[/QUOTE]
A couple of years ago, it used to be Steam > GamersGate > GMG > Amazon(?)
I used to think of GMG as a joke, and I'm not even sure if Amazon was in the market (if the were, I wasn't aware of it.)

Now it's Amazon > GMG > Steam > GamersGate (without stuff-ups, of course.)

[quote name='dfg']You'd think with as much DLC out there as there is now, a ticket event like the Summer Camp one would be a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I preferred that to the coal debacle. It just seems like Steam has given up trying to be creative with their sales. They have X amount of preset deals they just rotate between dailies, flash, and community votes. No more game achievements, no more giveaways... hell they're not even doing the Wish list contest anymore.

Maybe they'll surprise us and do something at Christmas? Just seems Valve has gotten complacent.

I have a bunch of Steam keys that I may or may not have already used. Is there anyway I can check these through a website that's not Steam? I'm afraid that if I try the key on Steam and I don't already have it, the key will be redeemed and added to my account.

[quote name='eulogywerd21']I have a bunch of Steam keys that I may or may not have already used. Is there anyway I can check these through a website that's not Steam? I'm afraid that if I try the key on Steam and I don't already have it, the key will be redeemed and added to my account.[/QUOTE]

There is no way to check a key other than redeeming it.

[quote name='eulogywerd21']I have a bunch of Steam keys that I may or may not have already used. Is there anyway I can check these through a website that's not Steam? I'm afraid that if I try the key on Steam and I don't already have it, the key will be redeemed and added to my account.[/QUOTE]
I'll try those out for you! :twisted: Mwahahahahaha!

It's so bad I won't even wait for the next set of flash deals -- just going to wait until midnight PST to see if that deal Tony was talking about from Amazon starts to trickle through.

[quote name='Terlan']People do realize this is only day 3 and the sale runs until January 5th?[/QUOTE]

tell that to the people on the official steam forums. theyre crying that this is the worst steam sale ever...still 2 weeks left...

Yeah I don't even pay attention to Steam on this sale. Even the dailies/Flashes are more like 33->50% off (and still more than other retailers*) than they were like in the past (say 25->75% off).

[quote name='Terlan']People do realize this is only day 3 and the sale runs until January 5th?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the Steam sale is busting more shit than an incontinent man at a chili cookoff.

[quote name='Mooby']It's so bad I won't even wait for the next set of flash deals -- just going to wait until midnight PST to see if that deal Tony was talking about from Amazon starts to trickle through.[/QUOTE]

Dude does know to set a hook, doesn't he? ;)

[quote name='mac995555']Steam is still making bank off of this. The people bitching are the vocal minority.[/QUOTE]

Of course Valve is making money... Justin Beiber also sells a ton of records...

If you're going to wait until the last week to put up some decent items/deal, why not just have a one week sale then?

(Though I do agree in that I believe the sales will get better towards the end, it still doesn't justify it.)

[quote name='Mooby']Re: The Gamer's Gate 10 min wait thing I saw that when I bought Deus Ex HR from them last year. After the 10 min I got my keys.[/QUOTE]
I bought Deus Ex HR DLC from them earlier this year and didn't have to wait 10 minutes to get the keys. Perhaps it's something for new(ish) accounts?

[quote name='Mooby']Yeah I preferred that to the coal debacle. It just seems like Steam has given up trying to be creative with their sales. They have X amount of preset deals they just rotate between dailies, flash, and community votes. No more game achievements, no more giveaways... hell they're not even doing the Wish list contest anymore.[/QUOTE]
Maybe I've just been reading the same people's opinions over and over, but the majority of comments that I've read seem to agree.

[quote name='Mooby']To date, this is the worst Steam sale ever. And this is actually day four![/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about ever since I can't remember any sales prior to Christmas 2010, but definitely the worst since then.

It feels like eternity. I will say the slow pace of this sale has allowed me to focus on my final weekend of power viewing Star Trek Deep Space 9. What a fantastic series. Now that it has come to an end I feel like I've lost some good friends but thank-you Netflix for allowing me to get to know them.

Why aren't there more Star Trek video games and why have the handful that do exist never made it to Steam?

[quote name='Mooby']Just seems Valve has gotten complacent.[/QUOTE]

More like Steam doesn't need to do aggressive sales to do well in the marketplace. Look at this thread, for example. They already have all the attention they need.

As for others undercutting Steam, what is it they give away? Steam keys. Think those keys go to those retailers without Steam getting their cut? I doubt they lose too much sleep over it, since they get their money. Amazon probably can afford to do loss leaders, but I wonder about some of these other companies.

[quote name='Kablasia']Has anybody played the stalker franchise? Thinking about buying it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, search the thread for mine and others thoughts on it. It definitely isnt for everyone.

[quote name='Motoki']

They can't even do a decent sale on a year old game and you expect them to do one on a game that just came out?

Also, hate to burst your bubble but that game requires UPlay no matter where you buy it from, even Steam.
[/QUOTE]
UGHHHHH are you serious; ANOTHER dd service i have to download!? jesus, cant these people just use one of the already existing services instead of shoving their crap down everyone's throat!? ._.

[quote name='Palinn']It feels like eternity. I will say the slow pace of this sale has allowed me to focus on my final weekend of power viewing Star Trek Deep Space 9. What a fantastic series. Now that it has come to an end I feel like I've lost some good friends but thank-you Netflix for allowing me to get to know them.

Why aren't there more Star Trek video games and why have the handful that do exist never made it to Steam?[/QUOTE]

I put it up there with why has there never been a good SW space simulator since '94 Tie Fighter?

You do realize people only have a finite amount of money to spend on games and if they spend it all at amazon/gamestop/walmart before steam offers the good deals, then steam is the loser right?

[quote name='Bort_']
kJoxx.jpg

oh well, I tried[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm really annoyed about this, but Remedy posted on the Death Rally facebook page that the coupons would not work anymore and there was nothing they would do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back