The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kablasia']Has anybody played the stalker franchise? Thinking about buying it.[/QUOTE]

i played a lot of stalker: soc a few years ago. but then i reformatted and forgot to back up my save. so, i never went back to it to finish/replay it.
i played it with that complete overhaul mod, along with a mod to allow me to carry an infinite amount of weight, and a mod that allowed me to sell any item to any vendor (normally, the vendors only buy non-weapon items from you. so, theres little point i picking up all items to sell and make money)

I found the game to be very enjoyable. exploration is rewarded because you can find a lot of useful stat orbs (forgot what they were called) I liked how there were high radiation areas that would mess you up if you walked in em, and how drinking alcohol would reduce the radiation. Combat was fun. the quests were decent, but some were buggy, even with the overhaul mod. The only thing i really disliked about the game was that there were no waypoints. there was a lot of walking involved. I also didnt like have a weight limit and not being able to sell all items to all vendors, but the mods fixed that.

i never played the other 2 stalker games.

[quote name='forthenguyen']I was hoping to see Red Dead Redemption GOTY go on sale but found out it's not on PC. What?![/QUOTE]

If it ever does come out, it will probably be at a 50 or 60 dollar price point and then they'll complain PC doesn't sell.

The major vendors in SOC always bought weapons from you (the trader in the starting point and the barkeep later on). Still, I recommend the Complete mod as mentioned a few pages back.

I liked the game a lot. Had a very good atmosphere to it. It's not perfect (what game is) but it was a worthwhile experience if you enjoy the idea of a semi-open world FPS.

[quote name='Genocidal']Not much they can do if you already own all of the good games on Steam or are picky on the genres you like.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279563[/QUOTE]

Except most the games that have gone on sale are cheaper elsewhere or have been cheaper before through a previous steam sale (in which case, most decide to not buy the game in hopes it goes down to the lower price it was before).

I think we all just expect ourselves to buy a game during these sales only to have the deal be beaten in the next year sale with a stick, leaving us bitter and disappointed, yet slight excited -- as if it were a game we loved to lose, so we could try and win again.

[quote name='forthenguyen']First I've known about this. They made a decent amount of money on San Andreas and IV, and there's the whole mod community, too. What's the point of limiting development to old hardware, especially with so many people willing to make mods to make their games even better?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I dunno.

Titles that are on both PC & consoles are fascinating. It seems that the PC versions really are leaps and bounds better than their console counterparts - graphics, loading times, customization, etc. Almost a night-and-day difference nowadays.

And the PC base is growing. Maybe its growing because some people are tired of the long console cycle (like me!), or their drawn to the customization options & modding scene, or they appreciate the efforts being made to be more noob-friendly (xbox 360 controller configurations are everywhere, pc downloading is fast & easy). Not sure. But if GTA5 came to the PC, that'd definitely be how I would buy the game. If you have a mid-level graphics card, and the developer shows the PC version some love & care, it can be like getting a HD remake of the game....on Day 1.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Think Killing Floor would still be fun solo? My girlfriend won't go for the gory gruesome games, and I don't really have PC gaming friends, they're all Xbox.[/QUOTE]

As has been mentioned already... it's quite easy to hop into a game. Just be warned that the perk levels actually mean something. In other words, no matter how good you think you are at FPS games you're not going to be able to hop into a Suicidal or Hell on Earth level game if you're level 0 (or even 1, 2, or 3). Perk levels affect player skills and purchasing abilities significantly.

I've played it solo a good bit and there's even quite a few videos out there of people solo'ing on a high level. Lots of guides too. But like Detruire said, you're going to get much more out of it by playing online. Even with strangers. Jump in a server, find a few people you think aren't jerks and send 'em a friend invite. As a co-op game it can be quite intense. There's a reason why it has a high number of players.

Final note - there are boatloads of free custom maps available. The fun never has to end. ;)

[quote name='tham1988']anyone have an strong opinions for or against dead island?
everything I see about about it just seems pretty neutral[/QUOTE]

I had a real good time with it until they fixed the weapon duping glitch. Paying upwards of twenty-five grand to fix one weapon was just ridiculous. I guess it also depends on who you're playing it with, also. Get some crazy Sam B to pick a fight with some horde, and it's tons of fun.

[quote name='tham1988']anyone have an strong opinions for or against dead island?
everything I see about about it just seems pretty neutral[/QUOTE]

I have 120 hours on PC, plus several more on 360; all of it solo. It's just my type of game I guess.

[quote name='Broken Cage']
had a real good time with it until they fixed the weapon duping glitch.[/QUOTE]

I actually have never duped an item and never ran out of money. The thing that really sucks is having almost $1,000,000 and getting killed and losing nearly $100,000. :p

Thank you, eastx, and anyone who had a hand in making the rejuvinated thread (which makes it far more useful to newer CAG's, and more than just a misplaced bragging rights thread). I applaud you all, as you did a fantastic job!

[quote name='Motoki']Every time I see that game mentioned my eyes always want to read it as Skank.[/quote]

galleryicon9.jpg

[quote name='Motoki']FWIW Morrowind is still my favorite ES game and I know a lot of other people feel that way. It's very unique. Now straight vanilla Morrowind looks dated as hell but if you mod the hell out of it it actually looks pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Alternately, owning both games, you can play Morrowind through Skyrim's engine.

[quote name='twztid13']Thank you, eastx, and anyone who had a hand in making the rejuvinated thread (which makes it far more useful to newer CAG's, and more than just a misplaced bragging rights thread). I applaud you all, as you did a fantastic job![/QUOTE]

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Hey CAGs!

I just recently got a decent PC gaming rig and looking to get some great deals on Steam. I do have several games on Steam, but I don't have too much experience with Steam deals. I read several of the FAQs about what to do and what not to do such as trying to wait for the game to be featured on the Flash Sale/Daily Deal/Community Choice before making a purchase or waiting for a publisher pack to go on sale.

So I'm interested in Legend of Grimrock. It's currently 50% off at $7.49. I thought it's already a great deal until I read about the current Humble Indie Bumble deal for about $6.xx which includes LoG. I think I have to currently pay more than the average of $6.41 to unlock LoG and another $1 to unlock on Steam (which I prefer). I'm not really interested in the other games in the bundle.

There's also a Super Indie Pack on Steam for $69.99. Although this bundle contains a lot of great games, I'm not willing to spend this much.

So what do you suggest? I'm leaning towards just waiting for a flash sale/daily deal/community choice for the game until the holiday sale is over.
If nothing comes around or I miss the deal, I'm ok just picking it up at its current price of $7.49 (which is good until Jan. 5th).

[quote name='Neuro5i5']I actually have never duped an item and never ran out of money. The thing that really sucks is having almost $1,000,000 and getting killed and losing nearly $100,000. :p[/QUOTE]

Ha, it was complete chaos when I played. My friends would drive the truck off of a cliff and bail at the last minute, shoot gas cans while someone was carrying them, and nudge them off of the planks in the city into the zombie horde below. I never lived long enough to make $100,000.00 nevermind losing it.

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']I think I have to currently pay more than the average of $6.41 to unlock LoG and another $1 to unlock on Steam (which I prefer).[/QUOTE]
You don't have to beat the average by a dollar. Just beat the average, and you'll get Steam keys for your amount being more than a dollar.

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']Hey CAGs!
I just recently got a decent PC gaming rig and looking to get some great deals on Steam. I do have several games on Steam, but I don't have too much experience with Steam deals. I read several of the FAQs about what to do and what not to do such as trying to wait for the game to be featured on the Flash Sale/Daily Deal/Community Choice before making a purchase or waiting for a publisher pack to go on sale.

So I'm interested in Legend of Grimrock. It's currently 50% off at $7.49. I thought it's already a great deal until I read about the current Humble Indie Bumble deal for about $6.xx which includes LoG. I think I have to currently pay more than the average of $6.41 to unlock LoG and another $1 to unlock on Steam (which I prefer). I'm not really interested in the other games in the bundle.

There's also a Super Indie Pack on Steam for $69.99. Although this bundle contains a lot of great games, I'm not willing to spend this much.

So what do you suggest? I'm leaning towards just waiting for a flash sale/daily deal/community choice for the game until the holiday sale is over.
If nothing comes around or I miss the deal, I'm ok just picking it up at its current price of $7.49 (which is good until Jan. 5th)
.[/QUOTE]

Hate to tell you, Grimrock already was a flash sale.

[quote name='DPsycho']You don't have to beat the average by a dollar. Just beat the average, and you'll get Steam keys for your amount being more than a dollar.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The $1 thing just means you have to pay at least $1 to get Steam keys.

To put this in context, last year people were paying a penny, getting Steam keys from the humble bundle and then making mass quantities of shill Steam accounts to farm for extra gifts during the gift giveaway Valve was running last year.

It's just there to prevent abuse. If you are paying $1 or more you will get Steam keys and you will definitely get them if you pay the average.

Personally, I think the current Humble Bundle is a really good deal if you don't have any of those games and I would go for that.

The Super Indie Bundle Pack on Steam is a huge ripoff.

[quote name='Bizzquik']Valve's The Orange Box is currently $10 (50% off).

Has it ever hit $5 (75% off)? Should I expect it to this Steam sale?[/QUOTE]

Well, TF2 is F2P now. Portal has been given away a lot in the past and while I'm sure people will disagree I'd say, in terms of game play, you can just skip to Portal 2 and not miss much. It is fundamentally the same game with a few new twists. Then that leaves HL2 + episodes... which I'm sure has been $5 or less quite a bit.

[quote name='DPsycho']You don't have to beat the average by a dollar. Just beat the average, and you'll get Steam keys for your amount being more than a dollar.[/QUOTE]

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

[quote name='Motoki']
Personally. I think the current Humble Bundle is a really good deal if you don't have any of those games and I would go for that.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any of the games in the bundle. So I'll just get the bundle.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Get the humble bundle. It's an awesome deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the rec. I think you guys sold me on the humble bundle. Being able to support charity is icing on the cake.

[quote name='Motoki']Speaking of which, I'd just like to point out that EA's Origin download servers are slow as hell for me. Like 1990s or Strategy First slow.

I've been downloading the Command and Conquer collection (thank you Gamersgate for being incompetent two nights in a row and to the person who so graciously sold his copP[/QUOTE]
I find that Origin maxes my connection speed while steam can only dream of it

[quote name='Larce80']I find that Origin maxes my connection speed while steam can only dream of it[/QUOTE]

I guess EA hates me which is fine because the feeling is mostly mutual.

I do live in Seattle close to Valve so that may explain good speeds for Steam

Then again, I'm also close to Amazon but my speeds still suck there.

icon_shrug.gif

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']Hey CAGs!

If nothing comes around or I miss the deal, I'm ok just picking it up at its current price of $7.49 (which is good until Jan. 5th).[/QUOTE]
go get the humble bundle if you want legends plus youll get a couple other games.

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']I think I have to currently pay more than the average of $6.41 to unlock LoG and another $1 to unlock on Steam (which I prefer).[/QUOTE]
You don't have to pay an extra $1 to unlock the games on Steam, just the $6.42. You have to pay a minimum of $1 to get everything but the beat the average games on Steam.

And Dungeon Defenders with all the DLC is included, and it's a popular, praised game that usually costs $12.49 on massive sale (the game + all the DLC), so you really might as well get the Humble Indie Bundle.

If you don't own Bastion yet, buy it in 15 minutes. It is a fantastic game. The music is awesome and the narrator provides great insight into the story. The gameplay is varied with different weapons and styles to choose from. Plus there is a couple choices are the end that provide some replay value.

[quote name='tham1988']I am in literally the EXACT SAME boat I have no idea what to do some of the weapon and vehicle dlc look pretty great why can't they just have all the dlc for $5[/QUOTE]
THIS.
I'd love a DLC-Only Box for SR:TT for $5 or less.

[quote name='carl7117']train simulator 2013 hell yeah[/QUOTE]

Now you just need to buy all the DLC...
after you take a second mortgage out on your house.

Honestly it looks like they're going to rotate the vote specials, flash sales, and dailies again like last sale so doesn't really matter at this rate.

who else is practically praying that far cry 3 goes on sale? honestly these sales have either been done before or are at a lower price elsewhere(and some of which even activate on steam) >_< id buy far cry 3 on that uplay crap if i didnt want another DD service on my pc(already use onlive, steam, and origin; origin is my least favorite out of the 3, i find it to be a pain in the ass)

[quote name='starscream1101']Beyond Good and Evil please ;)[/QUOTE]

Done...

[quote name='swizzy']who else is practically praying that far cry 3 goes on sale? [/QUOTE]

Praying, nope. Do I want it, yes. It'll go on sale, eventually. I'll play it, eventually.

[quote name='Terlan']Sniper Elite V2
Death Rally
Two Worlds 2

New Flash sales.

Also vote Resident evil 5
:D[/QUOTE]

Clearly the wisest choice. It's a Capcom game, after all.

[quote name='Terlan']Sniper Elite V2
Death Rally
Two Worlds 2
[/QUOTE]

I shouldn't have stayed up waiting for this. I gotta learn! Course I'll check it again as soon as I wake up. I can't break the habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back