The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Larce80']I just thought it might be a good idea to add steam wallet funds now to prevent any hold-ups during the seal. so, how much is everyone loading? :)[/QUOTE]

I got burned on doing this with the Summer sale. In all of the previous sales, I've loaded $100 to spend on games into my wallet, and it's been pretty good.

With so much "steam" competition these days though, I have a hard time recommending this. I got into a situation last time where my game money was "tied up" in Steam, and all of the really good sales were happening on Amazon, Gamefly, GamersGate, etc for games that activated on Steam, but were lower than Steam's sale prices.

Just my $0.46 (the amount I have left in my wallet lol)

Already got about $10 in Steam wallet leftover from past sales... might add another $15 or so. I really don't foresee myself getting much.

Instead of loading up my own Steam wallet for the sale, I got each of my 2 kids a $50 Steam card for their Christmas stockings. Gotta think of the children!

Man, knowing that the the Winter Sale was just a day away was excellent on its own, and, now, we've got a brand new Humble Indie bundle to get us through the final few hours.

[quote name='Motoki']So we can play Revelations 2012 on Friday as the world ends.

Actually I want to. Seriously.[/QUOTE]
I'm a bit bummed that I always end up being busy whenever a CAG wants to have a Revelations 2012 party. I really want to play a game that has the phrase "Absotively Posilutely" in it.

[quote name='Motoki']So we can play Revelations 2012 on Friday as the world ends.

Actually I want to. Seriously.

They updated it several times recently so I'm sure it's all working perfectly and looking great. Okay not really it's trash but I still want to play.

Frithsblessing?[/QUOTE]
Frithsblessing's calendar:

wUtS8.jpg

He's going to be gutted when The Apocalypse happens and Steam's servers get tanked. Poor guy. Don't have the heart to tell him though :lol:

p.s. Hidden bonus post - I think I may have unearthed a... hidden gem. More playtime needed. STAY TUNED FOR THE EXCITING NONCLUSION.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Well, that's nice. Apparently supporters of the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter get a free copy of The Bard's Tale on Steam as a holiday gift.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for mentioning this. I unsubscribed from backer updates, so I probably wouldn't have known otherwise.

[quote name='ral1121']My first Winter Sale......do they go live during midnight hours or during the day?[/QUOTE]

Assuming that it works like it has in the past, the main daily deals will go live each day at 10AM PST (1PM EST) and they will last for 48 hours. The past few sales there have also been "flash" deals that usually last from 8-12 hours and change over every 8 hours or so. I think that it's likely that they will repeat the flash deals, and you will probably find those to be the hardest to keep up with. Though if you check every 8 to 10 hours or so, you shouldn't miss any.

Of course, there's always the possibility that they might shake things up a bit. We won't know for sure how it works until tomorrow.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Well, that's nice. Apparently supporters of the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter get a free copy of The Bard's Tale on Steam as a holiday gift.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! All my kickstarter spam gets kicked into a read-it-next-year bucket. I still have it mostly unplayed from retail lol.

[quote name='ral1121']My first Winter Sale......do they go live during midnight hours or during the day?[/QUOTE]

Starts at 10 am PDT. Required Reading: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23064

I can only imagine the price on this one.

Indie Pack - Winter Sale 2012:
Audiosurf
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Awesomenauts
Bastion
Bit.Trip Core
Cave Story +
Closure
Dear Esther
Death Rally
Deponia
Dungeon Defenders
Hotline: Miami
Krater
Legend of Grimrock
Limbo
Lone Survivor
Mark of the Ninja
Orcs Must Die 2
SPAZ
Spirits
Super Meat Boy
Symphony
Terraria
Thirty Flights of Loving
To the Moon
Tower Wars
Towns
Trine 2
Universe Sandbox
Ys: Origin

No gift copies for previous owners.

[quote name='cheapo72']I can only imagine the price on this one.

Indie Pack - Winter Sale 2012:
Audiosurf
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Awesomenauts
Bastion
Bit.Trip Core
Cave Story +
Closure
Dear Esther
Death Rally
Deponia
Dungeon Defenders
Krater
Legend of Grimrock
Limbo
Lone Survivor
Mark of the Ninja
Orcs Must Die 2
SPAZ
Spirits
Super Meat Boy
Symphony
Terraria
Thirty Flights of Loving
To the Moon
Tower Wars
Towns
Trine 2
Universe Sandbox
[/QUOTE]

It will not be low enough for any regular CAG. Too many of us own way too much of that list for the price to get low enough.

Edit: Looking carefully there are only two titles that I don't own but would like to: Mark of the Ninja & Symphony. I agree with Motoki's assessment of $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
10 Am PST gives the Valve employees time to leisurely stroll into work on West Coast Time, chit chat with their buddies, drink 3 cups of coffee, before they need to sit their asses, some of which are not inconsequential, down to work.

As opposed to OMG IT'S MIDNIGHT AND THE DEALS HAVEN'T FLIPPED stuff.

That BAIBOGWAH (Big Ass Indie Bundle Of Games We All Have) would literally have to be under $5 for it to be even worth looking at for most of the regulars here.

I am glad they are lumping some of those newer Euro Adventure games in as indie though. None of this we're nichey Germans and it's $30 because we're willing to pay it scheisse.

I'm kind of glad they started the Flash Sale during the Summer Seal, so they could get all the kinks out. The way the Flash Sales were conducted during the Autumn Sale was perfect imo [ran for 10-12 hours, no repeats].

To any newbies, when I say Flash Sale, I'm not talking about Daily Deals.

I loaded $25 for the last sale into my Steam Wallet, but only used about $15 of that. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to bother adding more, because like jshackles said, there are also a lot of good sales elsewhere and I don't want all my money tied to Steam.

Edit: Haha. I own most of that indie pack.

FWIW, Mark of the Ninja is really fun. Worth the $7.49 I paid for it last time it was on sale!

Even if you take out the old/bundled games, it's still a fairly impressive list of games in that indie bundle:
Awesomenauts
Bit.Trip Core (assuming it includes the new one)
Dear Esther
Deponia
Krater
Mark of the Ninja
Orcs Must Die 2
Symphony
Thirty Flights of Loving
Tower Wars
Universe Sandbox

Even at $10 I'd be tempted, (and fairly annoyed given that I bought OMD2 Complete recently,) but I'm expecting a price of $20-$40, probably $30+.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Oh shoite, the Dog avatar is back.

It appears the petition was successful.[/QUOTE]

*Edit: And so is Bubble Bobble! We're kicking it retro avatar style

Where is my Manly Easy Bake Oven?

I should start change.or petitions that Magicka, Hydrophia and Serious Sam not go on sale at all for the next 6 months.

Yeah that indie pack will be $20 at least. There really haven't been any crazy priced indie bundles on Steam since those 5 for $5 ones back in one of the old Winter Sales.

Not interested in any of the BTA games in HB. BoI, Shank 2 (even tho I have it from the Origin Ultimate Sale), and that documentary seem legit for $1 tho.

[quote name='Motoki']*Edit: And so is Bubble Bobble! We're kicking it retro avatar style[/QUOTE]
I always show off my Bubble Bobble pride.

I tried to coax CheapLikeaFox into adopting an 8-bit Launchpad avatar, but he wanted nothing to do with Uncle Scrooge's shenanigans.

I don't understand why, though - I mean, according to the NES game, Scrooge can breathe on the moon.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']I am so ready for this sale. Plenty of games this year I just didn't want at full retail.[/QUOTE]

Watch your mouth! We don't use those words "Full Retail" around here. ;)

I have about $90 thanks to those crazy TIVs at GameStop last week.
The great thing about CAG/Steam is I usually end up with Amazon or Paypal credit to spend elsewhere through trades and group-buys.

[quote name='Mooby']Yeah that indie pack will be $20 at least. There really haven't been any crazy priced indie bundles on Steam since those 5 for $5 ones back in one of the old Winter Sales.[/QUOTE]

What a fantastic winter sale that was.

Recettear in a bundle with four other games for five bucks...

I actually HOPE that indie pack will be too expensive.
I dont have 16 of the games that are in there, but of those, I only want OMD2, Mark of the Ninja, and Ys Origin.
If its any less than 20$, im gonna be annoyed that i paid $5 for Hotline Miami so recently. At least I beat the game though, so itll hurt a little less.

The Salvation Prophecy and Recuits devs have been sitting in the Groupees chat room shooting the shit for a while now.

Indie Game: The Movie lies! Indie devs don't do nothing. They sit in chat rooms!

Don't kid yourselves. They made that pack to sidle right along side the developer bundles, so I bet it'll be $50. There's no way, no way they'll ask

[quote name='pantsattack']Don't kid yourselves. They made that pack to sidle right along side the developer bundles, so I bet it'll be $50. There's no way, no way they'll ask

[quote name='Eldredpe']What a fantastic winter sale that was.

Recettear in a bundle with four other games for five bucks...[/QUOTE]

The Recettear pack was actually on sale during the 2010 thanksgiving sale. I know because I didn't really get serious about Steam until the 2010 Holiday sale and I kept hearing people talk about that pack that I had missed. I had to look up what all the other games in the bundle were because nobody ever talks about the other games.

Here was the linup:
And Yet It Moves
Gish
Jolly Rover
Puzzle Agent
Recettear

At this point, every other game in the bundle has appeared in another bundle outside of steam. Supposedly the devs of Recettear felt like they screwed up by including it in that bundle for so cheap. So they vowed not to put it into a bundle any time soon. Of course, that was two years ago now. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in a bundle sometime in the next 6 months.

[quote name='The End']The Recettear pack was actually on sale during the 2010 thanksgiving sale. I know because I didn't really get serious about Steam until the 2010 Holiday sale and I kept hearing people talk about that pack that I had missed. I had to look up what all the other games in the bundle were because nobody ever talks about the other games.
[/QUOTE]

I'm still bummed I missed out on that damned Viva Pinata deal on GFWL of all places that I still hear people mention from time to time. That was about 6 months before my time too.

[quote name='Mooby']Okay, this has nothing to do with Steam but I post it here because:

1) Fairly decent looking open world ARPG that's near finished and not asking for a lot;

2) Hot Croatian babe developer.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/522716131/legends-of-dawn[/QUOTE]

On the one hand I get that $15 isn't a lot for an open world RPG and on the other I hate to pay that much for something that is uncertain and quite possibly may be next to nothing in an indie bundle someday, potentially even not that far off in a Greenlight bundle.

I think it's probably a certainly it will get finished as it seems like they have done 90% of the work but I get that eventually stuff like this ends up in a bundle. Not necessarily I'll contribute to this Kickstarter but something to keep an eye on as there are few truly open world games that don't also have level scaled enemies.

[quote name='MC Kage']

Tell me if you use it to. :cool:
[/QUOTE]

Wow, someone got to that quick... whatever it was.

[quote name='MC Kage']Viva Pinata is actually a really dope ass game. Logged alotta hours on 360 on that joint[/QUOTE]

And since it's not on Steam or pretty much anywhere but Microsoft it NEVER GOES ON SALE except that like one time, ever.

[quote name='MC Kage']

Tell me if you use it too. :booty:
[/QUOTE]

lol

That's it, I'm never trying a dropped key again. Thank god some poor sap got to it before I did.

[quote name='MC Kage']

Tell me if you use it too. :booty:
[/QUOTE]

whoever gets it is going to be overwhelmed with joy
;)

good luck to all of you and dont lose your wallets for tomorrow.
and go to the bathroom before the sale.

ps: dont have a heart attack

Grabbed a $20 steam card with my Mystery Rewards Certificate. Don't plan on spending more then $20 unless its a really good deal as my build isn't even finished yet

[quote name='Fluxy']good luck to all of you and dont lose your wallets for tomorrow.
and go to the bathroom before the sale.

ps: dont have a heart attack[/QUOTE]

Why do we have to go to the bathroom before the sale? I mean, it's not like Steam will run out of stock.

[quote name='acpstunts']When does this sale officially go live?[/QUOTE]

Not until February. The impending fate of the world has delayed the Winter sale into next year so Valve can rightfully prepare for what may or may not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back