The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief. I thought it had only been maybe 5 pages a day, then I get to the end and see the new thread with 46 pages already. And now I'm part of the problem!

Yeah, this thread moves really fast and the sale hasn't even started. I'd bet 15 to 20 pages a day easy for the next week or so.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Lost Planet is good. You should play it.[/QUOTE]

Lost planet is mediocre at best, you shouldn't play it.

[quote name='Flowette']Ok, the possible hidden gem is... Hinterland. I gave it a whirl last night and somehow lost a couple of hours. It's a relatively barebones ARPG set against the background of a town-building sim.

The King (sadly not Elvis) has made you his bitch and wants you I build him a worthy settlement. To that end you have to go out and about, laying waste to whatever evil crypts/bandit hideouts/wolf dens are on your doorstep and use your profit to build houses for your blacksmiths and farmers and so on.

Also included is a "fame" mechanic, the more you kill, the more your fame increases, the more likely you are to have a necromancer of a bard want to set up shop in your pokey little hamlet (you can leave them in town to earn you money, or have them come out adventuring with you). Fame also decreases if you get knocked-out/seriously wounded, so it's a two way thing.

It's not particularly deep but there's enough in there to keep my attention, I particularly liked the idea of planning how to upgrade my town.

At £6.99 and four years old, it's not unreasonable to think that we'll see it at around 75% off in the sale. It isn't perfect and won't suit everybody, but I really warmed to it.

P.s. some of us already got it from an Indie Royale bundle - it was mistakenly included with the Children Of The Nile key.[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting, I'll keep my eye out for this one.

[quote name='Flowette']Ok, the possible hidden gem is... Hinterland. I gave it a whirl last night and somehow lost a couple of hours. It's a relatively barebones ARPG set against the background of a town-building sim.
[/QUOTE]
Sold on ARPG + Town Building Sim. I just realized, I stopped buying indie royale bundles. Last I bought was like 4-5 bundles ago.

[quote name='MulderYuffie']I'm 20 lol[/QUOTE]

Well dammit now you got Idiotekque off the hook. Now I will have to find something else to bug him about. :p

[/QUOTE]

It's been in my backlog forever. I grabbed it on sale at one point on one of my big Steam sale crazy shopping sprees before I owned like half of the store and struggled to find anything to buy.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Sold on ARPG + Town Building Sim. I just realized, I stopped buying indie royale bundles. Last I bought was like 4-5 bundles ago.[/QUOTE]

I will have to try it. I still also need to try the multiplayer mode in Two Worlds II which apparently can be played solo just fine and has a town building scenario.

[quote name='plft']
Who else is pumped for some Rev2012 tomorrow? If anyone wants to play and is on my list already just message me on steam. I figure this is as good a time as any to dive into the world of mayan dancing.[/QUOTE]

Revelations 2012! It's so craptacular. And I'm ready to dance. Yes that really is a part of the game.

[quote name='Motoki']

It's been in my backlog forever. I grabbed it on sale at one point on one of my big Steam sale crazy shopping sprees before I owned like half of the store and struggled to find anything to buy.

[/QUOTE]

I have Hinterland on Direct2drive. Meaning I don't have it at all. Damn Gamefly!

I've been trying to convince myself that I'm still relatively young, but checking in on this thread now make me feel old. While technically "old enough" to see Star Wars, I did see The Empire Strikes Back In the theater. And I can actually say standing in an area I previously grew up in "this used to be farm land as far as I could see".

Edit: And how could you have never seen The Love Boat and Good Times? Really?!!! Next you'll say you've never seen my avatar?

[quote name='Neuro5i5'] Really?!!! Next you'll say you've never seen my avatar?[/QUOTE]

One of my fond memories of youth. . . right up there with the Hoff in Knight Rider.

I think we should all make it our duty to buy an unknown game during the sale and report back with how it is. Imagine all the awesomeness we could unearth.

[quote name='Preedatore']I think we should all make it our duty to buy an unknown game during the sale and report back with how it is. Imagine all the awesomeness we could unearth.[/QUOTE]

This.

Who knows, you might unearth the next Bad Rats. Imagine the geekcred!

[quote name='Preedatore']I think we should all make it our duty to buy an unknown game during the sale and report back with how it is. Imagine all the awesomeness we could unearth.[/QUOTE]

That's a fun idea.

[quote name='MysterD']EDIT:
I don't think Steam will top that...
...unless we see a trolling w/ a Darksiders Franchise Pack like them and THQ did w/ SR:TT Franchise Pack did in this past Summer.[/QUOTE]

A Darksiders Franchise pack was added to the registry, so anything's possible. If they do beat the price though I'd only expect it to be by a few cents.

I have extra keys for the following games just in case they are on your buy list for the winter sale. PM me if you want anything.

Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Dark Fall: Lost Souls (may or may not work)
Just Cause 2
King's Bounty: The Legend
Majesty 2
Metro 2033
Psychonauts
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Supreme Commander
The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC
Toki Tori

Hi gang:

The sale starts in a few hours. I just wanted to post to say "good-bye" until the new year, because if this is what the thread looks like two days before the sale, there's no way to keep up while the sale is on. I'll miss you. *sniff*.

[quote name='plft']The 'soundtrack' is very disappointing as a soundtrack. It's only the main theme. I'm glad I didn't BTA just for that.[/QUOTE]
Good to know. I was considering going BTA (with the Grimrock soundtrack as a tipping factor since I already have the game itself) but now I won't bother. :)

[quote name='plft']Who else is pumped for some Rev2012 tomorrow? If anyone wants to play and is on my list already just message me on steam. I figure this is as good a time as any to dive into the world of mayan dancing.[/QUOTE]
What time is this going to be? (With timezone, please. ;))

I'm really hoping for a sale on Half Minute Hero. I'd love to play through that game again on my PC, but only if it's $2.50 or less. I get the feeling it won't be on Amazon's 2012 Editor's Choice list in January :)

[quote name='TheLongshot']I think this sells me on Crusader Kings II:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/20/magnificent-and-important-advent-calendar-day-20/

Probably won't buy it on the current sale, but I'll consider it in the future.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Amazon had it in a Paradox pack awhile back during summer. So if your not getting it this sale, look for a pack with it in.[/QUOTE]

Or better yet, check the Steam trade thread, you might be able to find it for pretty cheap. Amazon has sold packs with CKII and othergames for $10 or less I think so that would be your best bet if you don't want to deal with a trade.

[quote name='imac2much']I'm really hoping for a sale on Half Minute Hero. I'd love to play through that game again on my PC, but only if it's $2.50 or less. I get the feeling it won't be on Amazon's 2012 Editor's Choice list in January :)[/QUOTE]
Unless I'm mistaken, that's a definite thing, as the list is live: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511

Obviously we don't know what the prices will be in January, but those are the games that will qualify.

Here's hoping that there is a pricing glitch like in the Summer Sale at the start. God. What was the game that had the huge discount at the start? I thought it was a Star Wars game but I'm not sure. I had it in my cart but didn't pull the trigger. Then they corrected the price....

40 years old and my memory is toast.....

Ahhhhh yes. It was all the STALKER games. They started the sale at 75% off and then moved back to 50% after the first hour.

[quote name='mokmoof']Unless I'm mistaken, that's a definite thing, as the list is live: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511

Obviously we don't know what the prices will be in January, but those are the games that will qualify.[/QUOTE]
That list probably isn't complete. This year's list was still being modified in January.

[quote name='zubalove']Here's hoping that there is a pricing glitch like in the Summer Sale at the start. God. What was the game that had the huge discount at the start? I thought it was a Star Wars game but I'm not sure. I had it in my cart but didn't pull the trigger. Then they corrected the price....

40 years old and my memory is toast.....[/QUOTE]
I think that it was the game on special the day before. Presumably the daily deal.

[quote name='Detruire']

I think that it was the game on special the day before. Presumably the daily deal.[/QUOTE]

Just remembered, it was all the STALKER games. They began the sale at 75% off and then jumped up to 50% after an hour or so. They eventually went on sale again. And I got them. Of course. :lol:

[quote name='zubalove']Just remembered, it was all the STALKER games. They began the sale at 75% off and then jumped up to 50% after an hour or so. They eventually went on sale again. And I got them. Of course. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That wasn't the only time this happened either. Once I got a Terraria 4-pack on a sale's price glitch that had it listed as I think $7.49 for the 4 pack (75% off at the time) and the price quickly changed to $14.99 (50% off) about an hour later.

The Gamersgate price for Fallout 3 GOTY is my buying price, but I'd rather buy it on steam to use my steam credit.
Also on my buying list
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition
Sins Of A Solar Empire Rebellion
Skyrim DLC
Borderlands 2 Non-Season Pass DLC
Dishonored DLC
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Republic Commando
Wargame: European Escalation
World in Conflict: Soviet Assault
Maybe The Walking Dead
Maybe Saints Row The Third The Full Package
Maybe Castle Crashers
Maybe Arma II for Day Z
And whatever else tempts me.

[quote name='mokmoof']Unless I'm mistaken, that's a definite thing, as the list is live: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511

Obviously we don't know what the prices will be in January, but those are the games that will qualify.[/QUOTE]

Haha I know, I was just joking.
I do find that list sad; not because it's not a good list, but there are no games I want on there that I don't already have, except for Hotline: Miami. Where is FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Assassin's Creed 3, and Far Cry 3?

[quote name='imac2much']Haha I know, I was just joking.
I do find that list sad; not because it's not a good list, but there are no games I want on there that I don't already have, except for Hotline: Miami. Where is FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Assassin's Creed 3, and Far Cry 3?[/QUOTE]
As others and I have said before: That list probably isn't complete. This year's list was still being modified in January. ;)

I remember when the Valve Complete pack was $25 for about 15 minutes at the start of one of the sales. I had missed it by a couple minutes.

[quote name='unluckynumber11']
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Republic Commando
[/QUOTE]

These two are at the top of my wish list. KOTOR 1 and 2 have made me nostalgic for all the Star Wars games.

[quote name='Detruire']What time is this going to be? (With timezone, please. ;))[/QUOTE]

No idea, I'm EST and not busy all day.

[quote name='Motoki']Revelations 2012! It's so craptacular. And I'm ready to dance. Yes that really is a part of the game.[/QUOTE]

So pumped.

My god, if I could catch the Valve complete pack for $25 I'd buy it in an instant. I want to get my sister started on PC gaming and that pack would be an excellent start.

[quote name='Todd33']What are the odds of Far Cry 3 for less than 33% off?[/QUOTE]

The odds for less than 33% off are excellent. It could get no discount.

The odds for more than 33% off, though, which I think is what you are actually asking, are slim to none.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']The odds for less than 33% off are excellent. It could get no discount.

The odds for more than 33% off, though, which I think is what you are actually asking, are slim to none.[/QUOTE]

ehh its a steam sale and Ubisoft games drop hella fast on pc.

Do we have more than that one developer's comment about the sale start date? I remember at the Summer sale we were going by a developer's hint and then the sale didn't start for another week. It screwed up all the other online stores cause they all started their sales at the wrong time.

I think we can fill another three pages of irrelevant drivel and content stolen from reddit and tumblr before the sale starts. Double that much if we can find a free code giveaway on a slow server. That's six free pages right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back