The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the Sherlock Holmes games, looks like the "Bundle" is the way to go: $8.75

I didn't do a thorough "Holmes" style investigation, but on the storepage, only the "Jack the Ripper" game had T@GES listed as additional DRM.

[quote name='pROvIs']Sale is pretty disappointing so far. Hope it gets better. I miss the achievment races.[/QUOTE]
It's really disappointing that they dropped them. They were lots of fun... the free stuff wasn't bad either. ;)

That said, I preferred the summer sale with the tickets. One achievement gave me one unit which was just for me. I could then trade those tickets of mine for something that I was guaranteed to get. No chance to get something great; but no chance to get a bunch of crap coal either. I guess what it comes down to is that it was fair, enjoyable, and consistently rewarding.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']It's a fine price for just that game, but the TellTale Collection is a nice deal at $50 and includes Monkey Island, The Walking Dead, and the Sam & Max games, among others.[/QUOTE]

Of course, the TellTale Collection comes back after I started buying individual games *grumble grumble.*

[quote name='UW_Shocks']I was looking at the Sherlock Holmes games, looks like the "Bundle" is the way to go: $8.75

I didn't do a thorough "Holmes" style investigation, but on the storepage, only the "Jack the Ripper" game had T@GES listed as additional DRM.[/QUOTE]

The thing with Focus Home Interactive though is that they are pretty notorious for having 3RD party DRM in their games and in a number of cases it's not listed on the store page either.

You can always try checking the big list of 3rd party DRM on Steam, but that list isn't always 100% because it's only as good as the people who are updating it and some stuff gets missed.

[quote name='Detruire']It's really disappointing that they dropped them. They were lots of fun... the free stuff wasn't bad either. ;)

That said, I preferred the summer sale with the tickets. One achievement gave me one unit which was just for me. I could then trade those tickets of mine for something that I was guaranteed to get. No chance to get something great; but no chance to get a bunch of crap coal either. I guess what it comes down to is that it was fair, enjoyable, and consistently rewarding.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I liked the summer camp tickets best as well. There was nothing that was 'thanks for Skyrim' level but there was some okay stuff and there wasn't all the outrageous abuse like the coal. The whole coal thing is basically a 'this is why we can't have nice things' situation. It's unfortunate that ended up the way it did but probably should have been obvious in hindsight.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Holy crap. I'd never play it, but the discount is calling to me...[/QUOTE]

The $23 "game" is actually the SimBin Mega Bundle. It just shows up weird on that page because there is no way to buy the base game by itself anymore I think. You either buy it in a bundle with the expansion or in the mega bundle. lol.

[quote name='zillionandnine']I'm on a big mystery/detective kick these days, so I've been looking at the Sherlock games. Can anybody say anything about any of these games? Do they suck?

I'm kind of interested in the Jack the Ripper one, but I'm also looking at all the others, and that Collection pack for ~$9 looks like it could maybe be a good buy at the end of the sale if it doesn't go cheaper before then.[/QUOTE]

I was interested in the Jack the Ripper one as well. I actually just ended up watching Dodger of Press Heart To Continue's gameplay of the entire game on youtube instead. I enjoy her stuff, so I probably ended up having more fun than actually playing it myself. (I realized after 15 mins of watching that it wasn't really my kind of game).

If you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRvojwIUo-M&list=PL5FB421C172719197&index=1

[quote name='pantsattack']Sorry about the fidelity there. :error:

Also trav:
HKhDl.jpg
and
tUY52.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I shall dub thee winner! Add me on steam (same ID) for your game.

Aww yea! @trav

[quote name='MC Kage']Awh man. I thought you just bought ArtRage and were using that.[/QUOTE]

Haha. I mean that if you have a program with layers and a lasso it'd be much faster than Paint, which I'm using. Anyone can make whatever using whatever. It's all good.

[quote name='Motoki']Hey that wench should be thankful I clothed her at all. When she came to me she was in her underwear looking dazed and confused.

stacye.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Darns it Motoki, now I want to get this game instead for the gifts. Why is it 2.50 and not .50 cents? lololol

[quote name='kataztrophik']Deus Ex: HR - 75% off
Art Rage 3 - 66% off
Doom 3 BFG - 50% off[/QUOTE]
Mwa ha! I'm looking forward to all this great software going on sale!

[quote name='Genocidal']The Telltale Collection looks to be the best publisher pack, and it isn't even advertised.
.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']It's a fine price for just that gae, but the TellTale Collection is a nice deal at $50 and includes Monkey Island, The Walking Dead, and the Sam & Max games, among others.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the whole pack will dip when some telltale stuff gets a daily or something. I guess it's a good price for what you get, but a) all the stuff I'm missing was bundled for $40 last year, and b) I have a hard time justifying so many burned duplicates in that pack. It has six games/seasons I need and nine I don't, grouping up the W&G / bone titles into one each. I bet if I wait for each of the things I'm missing to hit their individual sales I could scoop up the lot for

[quote name='Blade']Quite a discount on the totally unnecessary racing games RACE - The WTCC Game and the Caterham Expansion pack. $1.19 for the bundle, $23.29 off.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Holy crap. I'd never play it, but the discount is calling to me...[/QUOTE]

I picked those up a while back. I haven't played them yet.

I picked up the slightly smaller iteration of the SIMBIN pack for ~$24 on the summer sale. It's a racing simulator, so if you're expecting something arcady you'll be disappointed. For a racing nut, it's a nice addition. Interestingly they seem to have gotten a few of their older (pre-RACE 07) titles on steam that are being added to the pack.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']I can't believe I AM ALIVE to witness this horrendous sale.[/QUOTE]

Any real gamer would buy Farming Simulator.

I am Alive looks neat, but there are a lot of very poor reviews out there...

Fez is half-off on XBLA though. So far, the first area's been fun to see.

Added the 3 Penny Arcade games on my wishlist, am I a bad person if I'm keeping an eye on them in the hope that the third gets a bigger discount (75% instead of 60%)? Also, I'd really like to be able to put packs and collections in my wishlist...

So I've been sleeping with my laptop next to me, occasionally waking up, checking the thread, and going back to sleep. This flu has caused me to have fever dreams and you all are NOT helping. While some of you are apparently cool in person, my dreams didn't need Stacy Truman!

[quote name='Junpei']Added the 3 Penny Arcade games on my wishlist, am I a bad person if I'm keeping an eye on them in the hope that the third gets a bigger discount (75% instead of 60%)? Also, I'd really like to be able to put packs and collections in my wishlist...[/QUOTE]

Don't count on it, at least for the third game.

I'm please to confirm that the Apocalypse hasn't happened over here in the UK, although in Hull it's hard to tell the difference.

Has anybody here actually played I Am Alive? It looks really tempting but those reviews scare me.

[quote name='Flowette']I'm please to confirm that the Apocalypse hasn't happened over here in the UK, although in Hull it's hard to tell the difference.[/QUOTE] The 21st ended 45 minutes ago, and nothing has happened.

[quote name='Flowette']Has anybody here actually played I Am Alive? It looks really tempting but those reviews scare me.[/QUOTE]
I'd wait until it's cheap enough that you don't care much if it is as bad as the reviews say. ;)

[quote name='Baseman']Don't count on it, at least for the third game.[/QUOTE]

Awww... well, that simplify things: only 2 of 3 games for me, then! :cool:
Does anybody know if the 3rd game wrap up things or should we expect more episodes?

[quote name='Detruire']The 21st ended 45 minutes ago, and nothing has happened.[/QUOTE]

Check your timezones, lad!

I'm tempted to take the plunge on I Am Alive and make it my "mystery review", as suggested by Preedatore. Seems an ideal candidate.

Edit: scratch that. I've found a more suitable candidate. And cheaper, too!

How do you get a complete list? I decided to look up 'The Secret World' myself to see if it was on sale and it is. It's $22.99, normally $39.99. It says right on it 'Holiday Sale', yet if I would not have looked the game up myself, I would have never known.

EDIT: Torchlight 2 also on sale for $14.99... Yet again, I would not have known unless I looked it up on my own...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

[quote name='Junpei']Awww... well, that simplify things: only 2 of 3 games for me, then! :cool:
Does anybody know if the 3rd game wrap up things or should we expect more episodes?[/QUOTE]

The series' webpage says the 4th game is scheduled for 2013.

Oh look! It's that game a few of you were talking about earlier:
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken: $1.75.

Also:
Lord of the Rings: War in the North: $3.50.

(Using coupon GMG30-DPLIM-DN831.)

[quote name='pROvIs']Sale is pretty disappointing so far. Hope it gets better. I miss the achievment races.[/QUOTE]

I loved doing the achievements on the previous steam sales, most of them were easy but at least it got me to play some of the games in my library that otherwise I wouldn't have of even installed. This new badge system is not a worthy replacement.

I Am Alive is too expensive. Farming Simulator is also too expensive. I have no interest in Air Mech.

Steam better put some god damn deals up in 3 hours. I am dying here since I haven't bought any sales yet, lol.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I Am Alive is too expensive. Farming Simulator is also too expensive. I have no interest in Air Mech.

Steam better put some god damn deals up in 3 hours. I am dying here since I haven't bought any sales yet, lol.[/QUOTE]

I'm going thru withdrawal...I'm irritable, antsy, can't focus on anything, paranoid...

Valve is doing this on purpose.

I need my fix. And I need it now.

Disappointed at the sale so far. Almost everything on my wishlist is on sale but at only 33-50% off.

Apparently 1am-7am is the time to catch up on the thread. I'm gone all day and it moves 40 pages, but over night it only goes 2 pages.

[quote name='bubzers']I'm going thru withdrawal...I'm irritable, antsy, can't focus on anything, paranoid...

Valve is doing this on purpose.

I need my fix. And I need it now.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much, :lol:.

Also so you know, the producer of War Z was also the producer of one of the greatest games of our generation. Big Rigs Over The Road Racing :lol:.

[quote name='kingotnw']How do you get a complete list? I decided to look up 'The Secret World' myself to see if it was on sale and it is. It's $22.99, normally $39.99. It says right on it 'Holiday Sale', yet if I would not have looked the game up myself, I would have never known.

EDIT: Torchlight 2 also on sale for $14.99... Yet again, I would not have known unless I looked it up on my own...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1[/QUOTE]

You can always check cag's tracker, although it won't update until the following morning.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/cagomatic.php

[quote name='jatan11t']How does mine compare with yours? :p
npval.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's hot.

[quote name='bshirk']Any real gamer would buy Farming Simulator.[/QUOTE]

Not at this price. I got it 75% off before it even came out. Granted it was a pricing mistake but still! :p

[quote name='Mooby']Awesome -- a flash sale spot taken up by a F2P game's microtransactions.[/QUOTE]

Next thing you know we'll see TF2 hats 50% off Flash sale!

[quote name='SeymourGams']So I've been sleeping with my laptop next to me, occasionally waking up, checking the thread, and going back to sleep. This flu has caused me to have fever dreams and you all are NOT helping. While some of you are apparently cool in person, my dreams didn't need Stacy Truman![/QUOTE]

What did Stacy Truman ever do to you?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Damnit. Now I have to get that Mission Runway game.[/QUOTE]

Do it! Get the whole pack for $5. There's a Mahjong detective game in it too.

I know I have always said "Why doesn't someone make a Mahjong detective game?" and now finally they have.

[quote name='kingotnw']How do you get a complete list? I decided to look up 'The Secret World' myself to see if it was on sale and it is. It's $22.99, normally $39.99. It says right on it 'Holiday Sale', yet if I would not have looked the game up myself, I would have never known.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1[/QUOTE]

cheese-wrong

Torchlight 2 will be a daily deal. JUST BE PATIENT.

[quote name='Detruire']Oh look! It's that game a few of you were talking about earlier:
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken: $1.75.

Also:
Lord of the Rings: War in the North: $3.50.

(Using coupon GMG30-DPLIM-DN831.)[/QUOTE]

Also Devil May Cry 4 is $4.75 w/ the voucher and Steamable.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Pretty much, :lol:.

Also so you know, the producer of War Z was also the producer of one of the greatest games of our generation. Big Rigs Over The Road Racing :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Funny enough, WarZ got pulled from Steam yesterday.

Blamed it on a mistake in their description, but thinking more the dev was less than forthcoming with Steam as to the completion of the game since it really is still an Alpha or Beta at best.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Funny enough, WarZ got pulled from Steam yesterday.

Blamed it on a mistake in their description, but thinking more the dev was less than forthcoming with Steam as to the completion of the game since it really is still an Alpha or Beta at best.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs

Yep this guy has done this before, releasing a unfinished game as a full product.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']It's a fine price for just that game, but the TellTale Collection is a nice deal at $50 and includes Monkey Island, The Walking Dead, and the Sam & Max games, among others.[/QUOTE]

Man, that's tempting. I think I only own Puzzle Agent 1, so I'd be getting the most for my money with that pack.

OTOH, That's $50 worth of games that I'll likely get to around 2043.

[quote name='Motoki']Torchlight 2 will be a daily deal. JUST BE PATIENT.[/QUOTE]>=-75% or IWNB.

[quote name='Motoki']Also Devil May Cry 4 is $4.75 w/ the voucher and Steamable.[/QUOTE]
I already own that, so it's not a good deal. :lol:

[quote name='Flowette']Check your timezones, lad!

I'm tempted to take the plunge on I Am Alive and make it my "mystery review", as suggested by Preedatore. Seems an ideal candidate.

Edit: scratch that. I've found a more suitable candidate. And cheaper, too![/QUOTE]

I Am Alive is too mainstream anyway. We would probably all bite on it at 75% off. Can't wait to see your choice. I have a second one I'm looking at after Chaser.

[quote name='Genocidal']The Telltale Collection looks to be the best publisher pack, and it isn't even advertised.

Thanks for posting this! I have been debating this pack for a few sales now.

Question though: How do I find it? I was able to find it using the link above, but if I search the store (website, client, and mobile client) for TellTale or collection, I do not get it in the results list. My guess is, there are a bunch of collections that are not within the 8 shown on the main page, and I cannot find a link to get to all publisher packs. Any help is appreciated.

What are people's opinions on the Introversion Bundle and Dungeons of Dredmor? I started buying PC games earlier this year and wasn't around for the Humble Introversion Bundle, and figure these games won't get bundled again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back