The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
well holy shit, finally something im interested in, giana sisters. now before i even consider biting(still have some kind of hope that steam will discount far cry 3 even though i highly doubt it with this poor sale) is giana sisters cheaper than what it is on steam anywhere elese?

[quote name='swizzy']well holy shit, finally something im interested in, giana sisters. now before i even consider biting(still have some kind of hope that steam will discount far cry 3 even though i highly doubt it with this poor sale) is giana sisters cheaper than what it is on steam anywhere elese?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure someone on the page before said it was the cheapest it's been and cheapest at the moment, even beating GMG's 30% voucher.
But holy cow 4GBs....o.o. I'm going to need a new HDD soon.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Also why is Giana Sisters 4 gigs, it's a platformer?[/QUOTE]

They did an excellent job with the visuals though. It's not some little fleabag thrown together indie game.

Plus Swedish Metal music.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']Bought The Binding of Issac and The Wrath of the Lamb DLC for my brother for $1.98 total. Great deal![/QUOTE]

Who wants to be the one to tell him?

[quote name='The End']Who wants to be the one to tell him?[/QUOTE]

Not it.

Thinking I'm going in for Giana Sisters. It'll be cheaper someday, but five bucks so soon after release is good enough for me.

Going to keep waiting on FTL, though.

Sigh...I missed the Sleeping Dogs deal. I was thinking about it all day and for some reason I thought it was a daily deal and not a flash...I hope it goes back on sale lol

[quote name='DPsycho']Thinking I'm going in for Giana Sisters. It'll be cheaper someday, but five bucks so soon after release is good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

It's good to see some "good enough" purchases around here instead of all the "BLARG SALE SURRKS" posts. I bought Giana Sisters as well at that price.

[quote name='The End']Who wants to be the one to tell him?[/QUOTE]

I sometimes wonder how people can post on this forum and not be aware of the HIB.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I probably won't get it but Giana Sisters is a gorgeous game!!! Total Biscuit seemed to think it was solid too. Perhaps I'll give it a try down the road.[/QUOTE]

Steam has the demo to try out for free.

[quote name='Motoki']They did an excellent job with the visuals though. It's not some little fleabag thrown together indie game.

Plus Swedish Metal music.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the music in the demo was what really sold me on the game.

[quote name='Motoki']Did GOG give out the soundtrack for Giana? I'm not normally a soundtrack person but Giana's is awesome and I kind of want it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it only came with a 2 track sampler. No full soundtrack.

[quote name='Motoki']Did GOG give out the soundtrack for Giana? I'm not normally a soundtrack person but Giana's is awesome and I kind of want it.[/QUOTE]

No, I think they only gave it out to people that backed their Kickstarter? GOG just has 2 samples of the soundtrack, not the full thing.

[quote name='jefexp']Sigh...I missed the Sleeping Dogs deal. I was thinking about it all day and for some reason I thought it was a daily deal and not a flash...I hope it goes back on sale lol[/QUOTE]

It was basically around $8 on GMG the other day

Regretting not getting Deponia the other day. Fam wanted it and To The Moon.

iTunes and Amazon sell the MP3 soundtrack or you can listen to it on Spotify.

[quote name='MC Kage']It was basically around $8 on GMG the other day[/QUOTE]
$5.9 if you took the credit, $7.9 if you took the cash back.

The cheap-game part of me feels bad for passing on this HIB, especially since I don't own most of the games but I just can't make myself care about more indie platformers.

(And I already own Binding of Isaac before anyone points out that it's not a platformer)

Just finished playing a few levels of Giana Sisters, and...wow. That's an awesome game. I would have felt good about it had I paid full price, honestly. For anyone on the fence, if you like 2d platformers at all it's WELL worth $5.

Chris Huelsbeck is involved with the soundtrack. If I would of known that, I would of fucking bought it day one at $15 just for that principle alone.

That man made some of the best video game soundtracks imo.

I just finished playing Giana Sisters for an hour and holy crap, great game. The visuals are top notch and the way the world changes switching between the two sisters is excellent. It is a very good platformer too. Well well well worth the price.

[quote name='Detruire']$5.9 if you took the credit, $7.9 if you took the cash back.[/QUOTE]

Hella good deal

Is the Steam price of Giana Sisters the cheapest?

[quote name='argyle'] I would have felt good about it had I paid full price, honestly.[/QUOTE]
No you wouldn't, no one is happy about paying more and especially here.

The game does look awesome though (and from reports it might sound even better)

[quote name='Jaysonguy']No you wouldn't, no one is happy about paying more and especially here.

The game does look awesome though (and from reports it might sound even better)[/QUOTE]

Heh, nope, I honestly wish I had known about the Kickstarter for this & gotten in on that for the soundtrack.

Would you reccomend Giana if I only have a keyboard? I really need to invest in a wired Xbox controller for all the platformer and indie games I pick up but I'm too cheap to spend $30 on one.

I tried the Giana demo... I must be weird. I thought the platforming did nothing special outside of the "dream change," which is gorgeous. Lovely graphics and a toe tapping soundtrack for sure, but I dunno if I'd enjoy it. Spoiled by Rayman Origins recently, I suppose. That's been my "pillar platformer".

Most certainly not bad, but I just got bored of the demo before finishing it. Wanted to really like it, too. :(

[quote name='argyle']Just finished playing a few levels of Giana Sisters, and...wow. That's an awesome game. I would have felt good about it had I paid full price, honestly. For anyone on the fence, if you like 2d platformers at all it's WELL worth $5.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it bundle material or not really?

[quote name='MC Kage']Hella good deal

Is the Steam price of Giana Sisters the cheapest?[/QUOTE]

Yes. At least for a version that redeems on Steam.

I don't know about GOG or Gamersgate at all, which are selling the DRM free, but I doubt they have gone under $5 for it yet. Also the Kickstarter minimum was $10.

Amazon, Gamestop/Impulse, Gamefly/Direct2Drive and GetGamesGo do not sell it at all.

[quote name='TheKbob']I tried the Giana demo... I must be weird. I thought the platforming did nothing special outside of the "dream change," which is gorgeous. Lovely graphics and a toe tapping soundtrack for sure, but I dunno if I'd enjoy it. Spoiled by Rayman Origins recently, I suppose. That's been my "pillar platformer".

Most certainly not bad, but I just got bored of the demo before finishing it. Wanted to really like it, too. :([/QUOTE]

Someone else in the community forum said something similar. The thing is, it's a simple game. A visually lush gorgeous simple game with excellent music, but still a simple game. You can still see the Mario roots in it (the original Giana game was a Mario ripoff from the 80s).

I like that about this game. I grew up with those Mario style games and I miss them. I think what they did with this game is to take that formula but modernize it and make it really visually appealing and I think it works well.

I can also see where some modern gamers may expect more but it's a simple game at heart and that's one of the things I like so much about it.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Isn't it bundle material or not really?[/QUOTE]

In the past I might have said no it probably won't be in a bundle, but these days anything goes with bundles. It could end up in one, almost any game could, but I personally feel it's a high quality and fun enough game to warrant being purchased on its own at $5 vs waiting for a bundle.

[quote name='Spyder187']I am seriously thinking I may finally bite on Civ 5 if it gets the vote. I played some of 3 and 4 and both were just to complex for my taste. I have read that 5 is a bit easier. I wish the Civ game from the 360 would come to steam as that was a game i really enjoyed.[/QUOTE]

Definitely worth picking up for $7.50.

I'd highly suggest getting the GOTY edition if it goes 75% off as well. Has a ton of DLC stuff with it.

I voted for it, figuring I'll get G&K if it goes on sale, too. I was also looking to get Shogun 2, but not at 66% off, especially since it was 75% off over Thanksgiving!

I kickstarted Giana Sisters, and I have no regrets doing it. It is a solid platformer and a beautiful game. And yes, I did get the full soundtrack.

[quote name='carl7117']hmm really on the fence about getting LA Noire and the compplete one[/QUOTE]

I have it for PS3 and absolutely loved it, a great story though the game-play gets repetitive because you essentially do the same thing in every case. I think 7.49 is a steal though and the 1940's atmosphere is great.

Also wondering if I should get forge, I have been eying it and don't know whether I should bite and bullet for save 9.99. What do you guys think?

Giana Sisters is not a bad game, just not what I'm looking for currently. I have Mark of the Ninja, Hotline Miami, and the like to play right now :p

The backlog, it burdens me!

Motoki - thanks

fuck I just checked out at Gametap for the Dishonored DLC without using the Promo code. I'm a dumbass. Anyone want it for $3...

Is $10 for Rayman Origins good?

[quote name='MC Kage']Motoki - thanks

fuck I just checked out at Gametap for the Dishonored DLC without using the Promo code. I'm a dumbass. Anyone want it for $3...

Is $10 for Rayman Origins good?[/QUOTE]

YES a really fun beautiful game. Have it on xbox so i'm not sure how the pc controls are. You could always just plug a controller in.

[quote name='CronO_O']YES a really fun beautiful game. Have it on xbox so i'm not sure how the pc controls are. You could always just plug a controller in.[/QUOTE]

Ah just saw it's Ubisoft so no Steam...damn

[quote name='MC Kage']Ah just saw it's Ubisoft so no Steam...damn[/QUOTE]

Possibly Tages with limited activations too depending on where you get it so watch out.

If a Steam game uses Ubisoft anyway (like Rayman Origins or Far Cry 3), does it make a big difference to buy it on Steam as opposed to buying it on Uplay and linking the game on Steam? I normally prefer to keep all my games in one place (KoA:R notwithstanding), but currently Far Cry 3 PC is on sale for amazon students for 30, and I don't feel it will be on sale on Steam... sigh first world problems.

Just tried Legend of Fae. That game is like Faerie Solitare where sure it looks all cute on the outside and makes people wonder why you are playing it. On the inside there is a great game. It's cute, it's charming and it's fun.

Great little gem.

[quote name='imac2much']If a Steam game uses Ubisoft anyway (like Rayman Origins or Far Cry 3), does it make a big difference to buy it on Steam as opposed to buying it on Uplay and linking the game on Steam? I normally prefer to keep all my games in one place (KoA:R notwithstanding), but currently Far Cry 3 PC is on sale for amazon students for 30, and I don't feel it will be on sale on Steam... sigh first world problems.[/QUOTE]
I really don't think it does make a difference if you buy it through Steam or not. I mean the only thing you wont get is you played it x hours through Steam. I own it through uplay and not steam, and it works well enough.

Although not to say uPlay is good but I do like how you can buy stuff with your achievement points. Sure it equates to maybe an extra gun or wallpaper but it's a nice touch.

[quote name='MC Kage']Motoki - thanks

Is $10 for Rayman Origins good?[/QUOTE]

Ooo, thanks for reminding me to use the code! I forgot to buy Hearthfire with it back when I first got the promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back