The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Idiotekque']JakeNome, my man... How much to hook a guy up with... *looks around* a live panda?[/QUOTE]

it depends...can you send payment as Paypal gift? :lol:

[quote name='JakeNome']it depends...can you send payment as Paypal gift? :lol:[/QUOTE]
I don't know man, you may have 290 marketplace score, but that's for games... not pandas.

All the Civ 5 talk earlier today made me realize I own the game and had never played it.

....12 hours later, I finally pried myself away from it. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I "discovered" it. :D

I really don't want to wade into the whole GG debate, but I would simply note this:

If they actually revoke activated steam keys there will be strong backlash from those affected, which would negatively impact the value of having your games on steam. These games were bought and paid for, they are not stolen/hacked/intended for a North Korean facebook giveaway. It raises further problems of "what about the DLC I bought for the game?" If DLC was bought from Steam then only "fair" things for steam to do would be refund or convert it to gift inventory. But what about if the DLC was bought from Amazon or GMG?

It is in GG's interests to cut their losses. Supposing they cannot revoke keys (and avoiding partial refunds), it might still be sensible for them to refund partially redeemed packs fully and let the buyer keep any keys obtained as the loses from those "giving away those keys for free" could be less than the liability (future loss) of having to fulfill the remaining unkeyed games.

Given GG's recent history, I expect the process of getting to a resolution is going to be a total mess.

Stupid question, from a stupid man:
Is there a list somewhere of Steam games that do have controller support even though they don't have the snazzy partial/full controller support icon?

An example is Far Cry 2. It supports the 360 controller right from the get-go, but nonetheless does not have the controller icon (due to its age, I suppose) on the Steam storefront screen.

Is there a list somewhere that is more inclusive than the half-assed partial/full support list on Steam? :pray:
I want to buy more Steam games, but Steam isn't organized enough to cater to controller-centric people like me.

Thanks!

[quote name='Bizzquik']Stupid question, from a stupid man:
Is there a list somewhere of Steam games that do have controller support even though they don't have the snazzy partial/full controller support icon?

An example is Far Cry 2. It supports the 360 controller right from the get-go, but nonetheless does not have the controller icon (due to its age, I suppose) on the Steam storefront screen.

Is there a list somewhere that is more inclusive than the half-assed partial/full support list on Steam? :pray:
I want to buy more Steam games, but Steam isn't organized enough to cater to controller-centric people like me.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I found this and it has a huge list of games, and even Far Cry 2 is listed there

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1wL9WeTaXbnwXs4qoysHoWt8gbT6fA1SZ-TvenRgHsQo

IT doesnt have all the new games, but those new games have the icons.

I only recently decided that I wanted to get into King's Bounty, and started hoping for a sale. So today is basically the most exciting day of the sale for me, so far.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I only recently decided that I wanted to get into King's Bounty, and started hoping for a sale. So today is basically the most exciting day of the sale for me, so far.[/QUOTE]
The new one?

Because if you wanted the Legend or Armored Princess, you could have bought them much cheaper elsewhere... They've been in every bundle ever.

Great series though. Worth the money.

[quote name='MysterD']{Waits for some Richard Nixon memes}[/QUOTE]

ySJIf.png

EVEN QUICKMEME IS IRONIC BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO PRINT SCREEN AND CROP THE IMAGE!

[quote name='Bizzquik']Stupid question, from a stupid man:

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2304657

That's not the one I'm thinking of there is a better one that is sectioned in some non-steam forum.

[quote name='cigaro']I found this and it has a huge list of games, and even Far Cry 2 is listed there

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1wL9WeTaXbnwXs4qoysHoWt8gbT6fA1SZ-TvenRgHsQo

IT doesnt have all the new games, but those new games have the icons.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Thanks. I hope that guy with the wireless 360 controller issues looks here. That really makes me think the F710 is the most problem free wireless Xinput controller.

I like quotes about Nixon more:

If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.

[quote name='argyle']All the Civ 5 talk earlier today made me realize I own the game and had never played it.

....12 hours later, I finally pried myself away from it. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I "discovered" it. :D[/QUOTE]

So hard to keep up with all these deals, and yea I've been eyeing Civ 5. Not sure which is the best deal around for that, but I think Amazon's 2k Strategy pack plus that $5 coupon brings it to $15.

Just happen to finish TW: Shogun 2 Shimazu campaign on easy (even then took me three restarts to accomplish being shogun). Realm divide mode is a bitch, and not sure what's the best way to get money. I'm not sure if buying Civ 5 is a good thing seeing how many damn hours I have poured into TW: Shogun 2.

Are there any good Japanese styled tactical games on pc? I'm thinking of trying Shinning Force from the genesis pack, but I want something a bit more modern.

[quote name='carl7117']is the 2.50 extra worth it for the LA Noire complete edition?[/QUOTE]

I think they're worth it. I especially liked how they're seamlessly integrated with the main storyline, and not tacked on. I didn't realize I was playing the DLC until I checked a FAQ for some other reason.

Of course, if you end up hating the game like many did, you'll be disappointed.

[quote name='carl7117']is the 2.50 extra worth it for the LA Noire complete edition?[/QUOTE]

It comes with all the DLCs which are just extra cases. I had the game on the xbox and loved it. I only had one of the pre-order DLCs. But it isn't a guns blazzing GTA or max payne type game. It is a lot slower. I liked the whole aspect of combing the crime scene, investigating clues and piecing together puzzles and questioning witnesses.

Loved the game from start to finish. Did an amazing job with the acting in it. Specifically the faces is just mind blown even on the xbox. It does get somewhat repetitive since every mission is a case but you move up in the department from homicide to arson and so forth.

I am in the same boat debating about it now that I have a powerhouse PC. Just to play it again to see how gorgeous it looks.

Edit: Side note the DLC I played was the reefer case it was quite good.

[quote name='dfg']I think they're worth it. I especially liked how they're seamlessly integrated with the main storyline, and not tacked on. I didn't realize I was playing the DLC until I checked a FAQ for some other reason.

Of course, if you end up hating the game like many did, you'll be disappointed.[/QUOTE]
i played it before and i liked it. but i dont know if the extra dlc is worth 50% percent of the game more. i dont even know if my laptop will be able to handle it

[quote name='hal']Play BL1 first. You'll appreciate the call-backs and recurring characters much more when playing 2. I'd do it this way:

- Take story missions as long as you are appropriately leveled (listed as Tough or Normal)
- Take only side missions that look interesting to you (it is possible to over-level making the difficulty Trivial)
- Around level 30 (you should be near the end of the main story or close) switch to Zombie Island
- Around level 40 try getting into Knoxx (my favorite)
- Finish up with Claptrap DLC
- Try out Playthrough 2 a bit to appreciate how much tougher the enemies can be. You'll want to rush right to P2 for any subsequent characters you build.

Lillith is probably the most powerful and easiest to solo. Roland is not bad either.[/QUOTE]
Interesting thanks. I remember hearing some feedback that I could just dive into BL2 and ignore 1. Is the main story ending significant at all?

[quote name='asheskitty']>.> I'm "one of those CAGs" who activated every game from the Beth pack I didn't already own.

I'll set you know when I get back in. I didn't make it to the elevator yet. I died once on the way -- getting overzealous on my part, and having one of my two guns equipped being bad for the situation, and the other ran out of ammo quickly.[/QUOTE]
Maybe I should just do that.

& Captain Flynt kicked my ass. I ain't a proud man even after beating him...

do what i did and get the steam keys off of amazon.com for la noire complete(its the same price, you are still getting steam keys, but it includes a $5 off coupon for a purchase made in january from amazon pc downloads)

Just posting to let you know that the GMG code for the Mechromancer pack doesn't work with the gamersgate borderlands 2 game - wasted $3.50 for that :(

The ending to BL1 barely qualifies as an ending. They even make fun of themselves for it now (CEO let himself get punched in the balls in a youtube video over it). Knoxx is the real end of the game.

[quote name='mjontrix']Just posting to let you know that the GMG code for the Mechromancer pack doesn't work with the gamersgate borderlands 2 game - wasted $3.50 for that :([/QUOTE]

Isn't it Steamworks? :eek: Surely Borderlands 2 isn't region-locked?

[quote name='PenguinJim']Isn't it Steamworks? :eek: Surely Borderlands 2 isn't region-locked?[/QUOTE]

The DLC is by the looks of it - NA key (GMG) vs WW key (GG): Just did some research :(

SO PISSED! But I did save money on buying Borderlands 2, so I shouldn't complain - heck at least I got a key from gamersgate LOL

[quote name='mjontrix']Just posting to let you know that the GMG code for the Mechromancer pack doesn't work with the gamersgate borderlands 2 game - wasted $3.50 for that :([/QUOTE]

I'll counter that GMG's Mechomancer pack and Season Pass activated & run just fine on my BL2 from GG. I'm in the states.

[quote name='RollingSkull']If you bought Borderlands 2 you wasted a lot more than $3.50[/QUOTE]

Gamersgate were even having problems giving them away. :whistle2:#

Never played any of those JRPGs in the flashes, but I've heard many praises especially for Recettear... I'm really craving for a good JRPG these days, so I'd like to know if they got some substance and are worth collecting or the general consensus come from their moe-appealing side...

They're not JRPGs in the sense you're likely thinking of (turn based and whatnot). They're all pretty hack and slashy aside from Recettear's town mode. Recettear is a lot of fun and fairly unique. Just don't go looking up tips for it, as once you learn a certain trick you'll pretty much go into easy mode. I've found fans of the game really love sharing this trick in the same way if you meet a Dark Souls fan they'll tell you every little thing about the game that makes you too powerful too early and ruins a lot of the fun.

The other two are okay. They're all pretty hard at times. Fortune Summoners has a fairly fun combat system. Chantelise is a little bland, as it is much older than the others, and was in fact the Recettear devs first game, it was just brought stateside later as Recettear had the better hook.

[quote name='Corpekata']They're not JRPGs in the sense you're likely thinking of (turn based and whatnot). They're all pretty hack and slashy aside from Recettear's town mode.[/QUOTE]

Got it, saw that from the screenshots, I was just generalizing... maybe a little too much :)

Thanks for the feedback, I love J(A)RPGs too, so I'll grab Recettear for sure and, if that's my cup of tea, the other 2 too even if just to support the developers :)

I'm probably going to pick up all 3 by the end of the flash sale. Only other RPG type games I have on steam that come to mind are the Ys games and Last Remnant.

[quote name='MulderYuffie']Only other RPG type games I have on steam that come to mind are the Ys games and Last Remnant.[/QUOTE]

This reminds me that I hope TLR gets discounted too, since I've read that it got a massive overhaul in the face of that buggy slow mess of a beta version that was released on Xbox...

[quote name='SeymourGams']Which will be a pack Amazon is accepting the $5 coupon for in January.[/QUOTE]

IF they decide to "restock" it, and I'm afraid that's a big IF... but then, this time I'll surely be all over it! :D

[quote name='Junpei']This reminds me that I hope TLR gets discounted too, since I've read that it got a massive overhaul in the face of that buggy slow mess of a beta version that was released on Xbox...[/QUOTE]

TLR was like $3 at Green Man Gaming a week or so ago. They've had it that cheap a few times so keep an eye on them if Steam doesn't go any lower this sale.

Anyway, played the Fortune Summoners demo several months ago but can't remember if I liked it or not...lol. Need to give it another shot before the flash sale ends.

I finally decided to buy the humble indie bundle. But I kinda did it for the soundtracks. I love soundtracks! Especially Grimrock's. It's just one track but a very nice one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back