The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been waiting for Walking Dead to go sub $10 for a while. Decided to buy it on XBL yesterday with my half off MS points from Target, effectively making it $5. The benefits of moonlighting as a console peasant.

[quote name='Preedatore']I've been waiting for Walking Dead to go sub $10 for a while. Decided to buy it on XBL yesterday with my half off MS points fron Target, effectively making it $5. The benefits of moonlighting as a console peasant.[/QUOTE]

yeah damn
i was gonna buy it with my $50 msp card for $20 but fell asleep before i bought it on friday
it sucks never turning on my xbox
there were like 3-4 things on sale i meant to buy

Anybody else have issuing running dual monitors while playing Vice City? It always scrolls all the way over so my cursor appears on my second monitor and then as soon as it does that my mouse will no longer work back on the main screen (well it moves I just can't click on anything or use it to look around). Guess it's not a huge deal I can just turn off the second one before I launch it but still...

edit: Actually, just tried turning off the second monitor and it didn't help. Now instead of starting out working it won't work at all. Can use the mouse to move the cursor but that's it...can't click with it and it won't recognize it for mouse-view. :cry:

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']GTA4 does have install limits via the GFWL DRM, according to Big DRM List. They also say Episodes from LC has a 15 activation limit through Securom.[/QUOTE]

from your link, gta 4 has unlimited activations, but the episodes of liberty city has a 15 machine limit. 15 seems like a lot, i guess unless you like to upgrade your rig more often than a fat kid likes cake(and I know a few of you do this once every few months), that could be a problem.

If you ever hit the 15 machine cap, i would just say to go ahead and pirate it, I mean you already paid for it.

arkham city is worse, 5 machines, 10 installs per machine.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']GTA4 does have install limits via the GFWL DRM, according to Big DRM List. They also say Episodes from LC has a 15 activation limit through Securom.[/QUOTE]
So can you just deactivate it from certain computers like PSN with PS3s or is it literally just a certain amount of activations for a lifetime no matter what?

Well Atom Zombie Smasher was fairly entertaining. It's been on sale plenty though.

I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed at the same old discounts or the endlessly repeating sale games.

[quote name='dracula']from your link, gta 4 has unlimited activations, but the episodes of liberty city has a 15 machine limit. 15 seems like a lot, i guess unless you like to upgrade your rig more often than a fat kid likes cake(and I know a few of you do this once every few months), that could be a problem.

If you ever hit the 15 machine cap, i would just say to go ahead and pirate it, I mean you already paid for it.

arkham city is worse, 5 machines, 10 installs per machine.[/QUOTE]

And what happens if you just use all your installs. Buy the game AGAIN? :roll:

[quote name='dracula']from your link, gta 4 has unlimited activations, but the episodes of liberty city has a 15 machine limit. 15 seems like a lot, i guess unless you like to upgrade your rig more often than a fat kid likes cake(and I know a few of you do this once every few months), that could be a problem.

arkham city is worse, 5 machines, 10 installs per machine.[/QUOTE]
You're only looking under Securom, under GFWL they list GTA4 and Episodes as legacy titles, and they say this about legacy titles:

Legacy method: A simple CD key check. This still requires an Internet connection, but it does not tie the key to your account. This has an activation limit between 10-20 (usually 15), similar to the usual Microsoft products (such as Office). If you hit the limit, contact Microsoft support. With proper evidence they will give you a new key, but you are only allowed one more key. After that, you will need to buy the game again.

Ok lets stop arguing about DRM and figure out why my mouse isn't working right in Vice City. :applause: I even tried completely unplugging my second monitor and now it'll work at first again but as soon as I load my save point in the hotel I'm stuck with no mouse-look or clicking (even back in the menus). I definitely don't want to play this game without my mouse...

What to vote for next? I picked KOTOR in hopes that they'll offer some of the other Star Wars titles on sale, too. (Probably a long shot, but who knows...)

[quote name='DigitalVamp1re']I'd like to get Fallout 3, any chance of it getting a deeper discount?[/QUOTE]

It's only at 40% off right now. There's always a chance it could be 50-75% off in a daily deal or flash sale. I picked up the GOTY edition a few weeks ago on GamersGate for $4.99 (75% off) -- this was before all of their price screwups and issues, of course.

I'd suggest waiting until the last day of the Steam sale to see if it is reduced any further. The worst thing that happens is that you buy it then for 40% off.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']What to vote for next? I picked KOTOR in hopes that they'll offer some of the other Star Wars titles on sale, too. (Probably a long shot, but who knows...)[/QUOTE]

No, they don't seem to do that. It will be KOTOR & KOTOR 2 for 75% off (if it wins), but that's it.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']It's only at 40% off right now. There's always a chance it could be 50-75% off in a daily deal or flash sale. I picked up the GOTY edition a few weeks ago on GamersGate for $4.99 (75% off) -- this was before all of their price screwups and issues, of course.

I'd suggest waiting until the last day of the Steam sale to see if it is reduced any further. The worst thing that happens is that you buy it then for 40% off.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at it on GameStop for 50% through steam now. Anyone know of a gamestop coupon code to lower it more?

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']What to vote for next? I picked KOTOR in hopes that they'll offer some of the other Star Wars titles on sale, too. (Probably a long shot, but who knows...)[/QUOTE]

That has been my strategy for most of the votes since I already have or don't want any of the three choices. There are other Star Wars games I want too so my vote goes to KOTOR.

[quote name='DigitalVamp1re']I'd like to get Fallout 3, any chance of it getting a deeper discount?[/QUOTE]

fallout 3 goty has been $5 numerous times on numerous sites so just wait for the goty version to hit $5 again(usually when new vegas wins the vote, fallout 3 goes on sale as well) and buy it.

[quote name='DigitalVamp1re']I'm looking at it on GameStop for 50% through steam now. Anyone know of a gamestop coupon code to lower it more?[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I would just wait for it to show up on steam. It hasn't yet, and there is a 100% chance that it will. It's one of the staples of the big sales. It will be at least 75% off.

Damn it. The end times were messed up when I looked at them today, because I thought I had time to grab Recettear when I got back this evening. No such luck. Anyone grab an extra?

Man, I'm beginning to think that we're not going to see Trine as a daily/flash this sale. Which would be more than a little annoying, as Goblin Menace at 75% is one of the few things I've been waiting for this sale. Once I get that, I think everything else on my wishlist is in the category of "oh, that might be fun, at some point" as opposed to something that I'm actively interested in picking up, if that makes sense.

[quote name='soulkyo']And what happens if you just use all your installs. Buy the game AGAIN? :roll:[/QUOTE]

nah, just pirate it at that point. If that ever happened to me, where i ran out of installs on gta 4 or batman or whatnot, i already bought the game, i own it, if it wont let me play the game, I would go ahead to the pirate bay(or some other pirate site) and install the game from there.

[quote name='INCyr']Man, I'm beginning to think that we're not going to see Trine as a daily/flash this sale. Which would be more than a little annoying, as Goblin Menace at 75% is one of the few things I've been waiting for this sale. Once I get that, I think everything else on my wishlist is in the category of "oh, that might be fun, at some point" as opposed to something that I'm actively interested in picking up, if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

trine goes on sale to $3 or so whenever steam has a major sale(fall, summer), i have a hard time imagining them not putting up the trine franchise at 75% off this sale.

[quote name='Drizzt']I've gotten more friends on Steam from playing random games of L4D2. Easily more than TF2 back when I used to play that. There are good folks out there, it's just the annoying/obnoxious ones tend to stand out a little more because of their behavior and lack of manners.[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

"Games most played by your friends (Lifetime)"
(http://store.steampowered.com/recommended/friendactivity)

CYR1L.jpg

The L4D community is brutal but there aren't many games out there that give you the same satisfaction of a 4-man team versus victory. KF and Payday are good at what they do, but that's only co-op.

[quote name='Phame']Anyone have any experience with Atom Zombie Smasher? Looks like it could be worth the 2.49.[/QUOTE]

I played it last... winter? For a cheevo, I think. Or maybe it was the summer sale before that. Don't remember. Wasn't too impressed, think I got it in a 5-pack of games of some sort. Interesting concept, but I didn't find it interesting/fun enough to maintain my interest much past getting the cheevo. But I also have a huge backlog and a fairly short attention span, so games have to hook me fairly quickly for me to want to bother/continue with them. So there easily could be something to it I was missing.

[quote name='dracula']nah, just pirate it at that point. If that ever happened to me, where i ran out of installs on gta 4 or batman or whatnot, i already bought the game, i own it, if it wont let me play the game, I would go ahead to the pirate bay(or some other pirate site) and install the game from there.[/QUOTE]

That is what I do with games with a extremely limited activation limit. I buy it and never touch that legit copy and I go and download a cracked version.

[quote name='dracula']trine goes on sale to $3 or so whenever steam has a major sale(fall, summer), i have a hard time imagining them not putting up the trine franchise at 75% off this sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean, I still believe we'll see it, I'm just surprised it hasn't shown up yet. Getting tired of waiting for it... ;)

I WAS going to buy Warthog, but then realised I'd need an Aircraft joystick for it... xD

Also waiting for the inevitable simulation pack - buy 25+ simulation games for 69.95 - I'd buy it for sure (and probably most of CAG).

Also feels to Blizzquik for falling to the walking dead thing - but think of it this way - at least you're helping keep Gamersgate in business after the Bethesda and borderlands 2 glitches... And they probably will have another glitch anyways xD

[quote name='dracula']trine goes on sale to $3 or so whenever steam has a major sale(fall, summer), i have a hard time imagining them not putting up the trine franchise at 75% off this sale.[/QUOTE]
It wouldn't be too suprising of the DLC wasn't included at 75% off, though. Trine 2 has been 75% off quite a few times - there's even a 75% off coupon for it - but the DLC has always been 50% off so far.

[quote name='INCyr']I played it last... winter? For a cheevo, I think. Or maybe it was the summer sale before that. Don't remember. Wasn't too impressed, think I got it in a 5-pack of games of some sort. Interesting concept, but I didn't find it interesting/fun enough to maintain my interest much past getting the cheevo. But I also have a huge backlog and a fairly short attention span, so games have to hook me fairly quickly for me to want to bother/continue with them. So there easily could be something to it I was missing.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing, but I picked it up again later to give it a chance. Turns out that Xmas thing is very different from the rest of the game—it was a clickfest hastily put together for the achievement metagame, whereas the rest of the game is significantly more strategic.

I love it and would recommend it even at full price. It's a triumph of gameplay over visuals, and has a quirky sense of humor (Llama bombs!) and good music to boot. Same dev as Thirty Flights of Loving, which I should've picked up a few Flashes ago.

[quote name='dracula']nah, just pirate it at that point. If that ever happened to me, where i ran out of installs on gta 4 or batman or whatnot, i already bought the game, i own it, if it wont let me play the game, I would go ahead to the pirate bay(or some other pirate site) and install the game from there.[/QUOTE]

I realize where you're coming from, but you do realize that's completely incorrect, and in the unlikely event you ever got caught, would probably not be a reasonable defense?

[quote name='dfg']I realize where you're coming from, but you do realize that's completely incorrect, and in the unlikely event you ever got caught, would probably not be a reasonable defense?[/QUOTE]
Its actually a pretty good defense. You own a license to the game, you have the right to download it from wherever you want.

[quote name='tham1988']yeah damn
i was gonna buy it with my $50 msp card for $20 but fell asleep before i bought it on friday
it sucks never turning on my xbox
there were like 3-4 things on sale i meant to buy[/QUOTE]

you can buy the games on xbox.com

[quote name='BernardoOne']Its actually a pretty good defense. You own a license to the game, you have the right to download it from wherever you want.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that, if you ever need it.

[quote name='dfg']Good luck with that, if you ever need it.[/QUOTE]

Where I live its legal even If I didnt bought it at all, so its not really a concern, but thanks ;)

[quote name='dfg']I did the same thing, but I picked it up again later to give it a chance. Turns out that Xmas thing is very different from the rest of the game—it was a clickfest hastily put together for the achievement metagame, whereas the rest of the game is significantly more strategic.

I love it and would recommend it even at full price. It's a triumph of gameplay over visuals, and has a quirky sense of humor (Llama bombs!) and good music to boot. Same dev as Thirty Flights of Loving, which I should've picked up a few Flashes ago.[/QUOTE]

Sold.

Thanks, btw. I was already on the fence, I just needed that little nudge.

[quote name='Phame']Sold.

Thanks, btw. I was already on the fence, I just needed that little nudge.[/QUOTE]

Cheers! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Also, forgot that there is modding capability built-in (which you may want to use if you'd like to get all the achievements in this lifetime) and local co-op (which I never used).

Bernardo, can you make me a Vice Admiral in where you are? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back