The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
So I played Rocketbirds yesterday - bought it at the very beginning of the sale. It was pretty fun! Shortish (a few hours) - but fun. Definitely worth $2.50 IMHO.

I'm enjoying Ace of Spades way more then I thought I would. Me and 3 other miners all dug underneath one of the towers the enemy was holding and made it collapse. Everyone was like wtf!
It is quite a bit of fun and lots of people playing.

Holy crap. I just realized that this year Valve didn't revisit coupon-spamming, which is something most of us were bitching about a year ago. I think some people actually got useful coupons.

It's like whoever's in charge of the marketing for the annual sales had their meds upped ^3.

[quote name='Idiotekque']This sale is just a snore, period. Watch something crazy happen on the last day though.[/QUOTE]

I'm laying bets on Gabe trolls us with an announcement that steam and all games on it are going F2P.

[quote name='asheskitty']I'm laying bets on Gabe trolls us with an announcement that steam and all games on it are going F2P.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

"Hey everyone, starting February 1st, 2013, all games on Steam will be free to install and play. That's right, every game on Steam is FREE! For the low low monthly subscription price of $100."

[quote name='Idiotekque']Exactly.

"Hey everyone, starting February 1st, 2013, all games on Steam will be free to install and play. That's right, every game on Steam is FREE! For the low low monthly subscription price of $100."[/QUOTE]

I would smash my computer if this happened.

I think it's safe to say that at this point, after a few major biannual Steam sales and a year and a half of cheap bundles, most people have tons of games.

The sale this year is fine. It's just that many of the games were featured in previous sales, and the pool of games that people don't own is smaller than before.

[quote name='inm8num2']I think it's safe to say that at this point, after a few major biannual Steam sales and a year and a half of cheap bundles, most people have tons of games.

The sale this year is fine. It's just that many of the games were featured in previous sales, and the pool of games that people don't own is smaller than before.[/QUOTE]

No, the Publisher packs are SO EXPENSIVE!!! The single biggest flaw in this sale.

Also doesn't help that you can't gift extra games from packs separately - in particular the indie pack (the potato sack ones were happy with it for a lower price, why not the expensive one as well).

[quote name='inm8num2']I think it's safe to say that at this point, after a few major biannual Steam sales and a year and a half of cheap bundles, most people have tons of games.

The sale this year is fine. It's just that many of the games were featured in previous sales, and the pool of games that people don't own is smaller than before.[/QUOTE]
That, and that they don't seem to be doing ANY special exciting things like in the past (besides the badge that serves... what purpose exactly?).

Just a bit disappointing. I always heard stories of the coal event, and having to actually play games and get achievements to get things, unnecessary coupons, etc. I wasn't around for those sales and events, and now that I'm finally around for a Winter Sale, nothing is happening, lol.

Perhaps I jinxed it. ;)

[quote name='Idiotekque']That, and that they don't seem to be doing ANY special exciting things like in the past (besides the badge that serves... what purpose exactly?).

Just a bit disappointing. I always heard stories of the coal event, and having to actually play games and get achievements to get things, unnecessary coupons, etc. I wasn't around for those sales and events, and now that I'm finally around for a Winter Sale, nothing is happening, lol.

Perhaps I jinxed it. ;)[/QUOTE]

They could have something similar to the coal event - and just giveaway discounts and free games for Valve games, and indie games that need a boost in their multiplayer or something - I'm sure they'd appreciate the boost in population! And have it so that you need at least one bought (not gifted or free) game in order to join in - should curb most of the farmers.

I am mostly annoyed that the new dlc parts of skyrim are not coming out to pc until january, therefore there is no sale on it for the winter of 2012. Looks like the summer 2013 will have a few nice games on it(hopefully the assassins creed games will all be $5 or so. I really have to laugh when i see a game on steam for the low sale price of $37.49 when it will surely be a lot less in 6 months time)

[quote name='Idiotekque']That, and that they don't seem to be doing ANY special exciting things like in the past (besides the badge that serves... what purpose exactly?).

Perhaps I jinxed it. ;)[/QUOTE]
They could have just run it like the Summer Sideshow: achievements get you tickets. Tickets can be exchanged for prizes applied directly to your account, and each ticket gives you one entry into a raffle (for your top 10 wishlist games iirc.) :whistle2:(

While, yea, a lot of people (including me) have a ton of games, there isn't any fun or clever hook.

An ARG, weird achievements in special games, coupons,... silly stuff, but it makes it fun to come back.

This sale is just boring and nothing really outstanding. I bought a few games that I knew I wanted, but past that... meh?

I finally bit on Civ 5 and my God, this game is awesome. It is like crack..... maybe I should have gotten the GOTY instead of just the base game...

The defense of 'well you just have X amount of games' really doesn't hold up. There's no gimmicks or giveaways. There are less dailies. And 90% of flash and vote sales are just recycled dailies. That and the discounts are down, across the board. Granted I'm sure the publishers have the final say in this but there are games like Deathspank that have never been a feature/daily/flash sale in two years worth of major Steam sales. Dozens upon dozens upon hundreds of other games that fit into that category.

I know FTL has been winning critical praise and end of year awards, but I am still surprised at how much I'm enjoying the game. I have never, ever enjoyed rogue likes (including Shirin the Wanderer on DS and Dungeons of Dredmore on PC, I think the ONLY roguelike I liked was the secret 100 floor cave in Lufia 2, and I didn't even know that was considered a roguelike), but for some reason I am totally digging the completely wacky story beats that dynamically occur in FTL. I've played through 5 times and finally managed to get to the end (and die, doh!), and I still want to keep playing.

Oh, and on my last playthrough, my mantis men nearly killed all the rock aliens but then my autofire breach missile destroyed the ship before my teleporter recovered. This game is so weird.

[quote name='Spyder187']I finally bit on Civ 5 and my God, this game is awesome. It is like crack..... maybe I should have gotten the GOTY instead of just the base game...[/QUOTE]

yep, you most definitely should have got the goty version. i guess you can wait for it to go on sale again and pick up the extra content. they add a lot of civs and replay value. and the gods and kings is almost like a whole new game, seems like more than just an expansion.

[quote name='Spyder187']I finally bit on Civ 5 and my God, this game is awesome. It is like crack..... maybe I should have gotten the GOTY instead of just the base game...[/QUOTE]

It's the closest thing to a time machine. Start a game then next thing you know you're 8 hours into the future.

I put around 50 hours into it when I first bought it. I'm afraid to fire it back up, because it's really addicting, and each run last me a whole day or night.

[quote name='Idiotekque']This sale is just a snore, period. Watch something crazy happen on the last day though.[/QUOTE]

I am not exactly sure you can say that, the sale prices have been just as good if not better than the past sales. there are fewer flash deals, but there are more days(the sale ends january 5th). hopefully they bring back some of the older deals, i still missed out on Ys origins and the oath.

[quote name='dracula']I am not exactly sure you can say that, the sale prices have been just as good if not better than the past sales. there are fewer flash deals, but there are more days(the sale ends january 5th). hopefully they bring back some of the older deals, i still missed out on Ys origins and the oath.[/QUOTE]
Like I said, it's the lack of events and fun things.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Exactly.

"Hey everyone, starting February 1st, 2013, all games on Steam will be free to install and play. That's right, every game on Steam is FREE! For the low low monthly subscription price of $100."[/QUOTE]

Very very unlikely. First off, many people (just like me) are still finding many of the deals offered in digital downloads.

Next, at $100 a month or $1200 a year its VERY unlikely people will spill for that. Do the math, $1200 is more than 90% of people will commit to "just like that".

Lastly, the publishers / developers would not support for a variety of reasons. The revenue shares would be all over the roads. Not to mention the places such as Amazon.com would take issue. That is to say, why use Amazon digital downloads for titles picked up by valve for steam? Not to mention such a move would probably result in Amazon.com buying controlling shares or lock stock and barrel Valve to make sure it would not happen and it'd not even put a dent in Amazons thick wallet.

In comparison, Valve is a very very small player in compare to a eRetailing giant such as Amazon. The online market clout Amazon enjoys is far far far more powerful to publishers/developers (mainstream) than could be measured by digital download royalties or even license purchases.

Amazon says to "Rockstar" for example, you REALLY need to be with US and not them and its exactly what would happen. In short, while not as drastic perhaps... Amazon enjoys more eOnline market clout than any other eRetailer. They are the Walmart of online retailers although comparing the two (Amazon vs Walmart) is not a honest comparison as Walmart is a far far larger and stronger entity. But in making a point of market clout it suffices.

Aka: Having Walmart be an outlet for your new video game, that actively promotes its sale means you are going to make a PILE more money (big pile!) than not. The same stands true for Amazon.

In other words... If the developer/publisher of say FTL slaps it out at Amazon. It makes more money. If same manages to get Amazon to slap and tout' its merits in high traffic landing pages at the site, sales will skyrocket.

According to my brother (who works for Amazon (software engineer)) if you are a featured vendor (third party vendor) and maintain low-price winning the Buy Box selling anything media based (CD's, DVD's, Video Games etc) that are triple-A items you will see a sale every 5-40 seconds all day long.

I said it before... Its why eBay is trying to re-invent the media related categories with UPC's, EAN's and the new display formats. They are trying to get more Amazon-like. Not only to increase conversion rates (sales) but so as they can attract the larger media sales entities and then remove the other sellers thus having better control over site/sales and prospects. At the sametime able to better deal with the resale of mass replicated illegit import copies, becoming a very very hot issue for them.

Plus, a lot of the games I have purchased have been found at other sites for the same price or cheaper.

I remember crapping my pants over steam sales/deals. Now it's kind of like "that's neat"

[quote name='Meowser']Very very unlikely. First off, many people (just like me) are still finding many of the deals offered in digital downloads.

***SNIP***
[/QUOTE]

Dude, he was kidding. It's cool.

[quote name='TheKbob']Plus, a lot of the games I have purchased have been found at other sites for the same price or cheaper.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Two obvious examples: Lego LOTR and Scribblenauts. Obviously Warner Brothers was okay with 75% off as they okay'ed it on Amazon but Valve went with 33% off? Interdasting.

[quote name='TheKbob']... Dude, he was kidding. It's cool.[/QUOTE]

No dude, it's NOT cool. Why would he say something like that? I mean it's a suggestion that might seriously be considered.

Back in the day, we'd shine a penny and say that it's worth a dollar. My friend would then go to the market and insist to the cashier that the penny was in fact worth a dollar. When asked why he thought that, he slapped the cashier in the face.

He's now 50 years old and still in jail for things that he had to do while he was put in jail for one night for the assault charge.

It's statements like this that ruin the world, and the lives of all of the people who inhabit it.

Not cool.

[quote name='Meowser']
Very very unlikely. First off, many people (just like me) are still finding many of the deals offered in digital downloads.

Next, at $100 a month or $1200 a year its VERY unlikely people will spill for that. Do the math, $1200 is more than 90% of people will commit to "just like that".

Lastly, the publishers / developers would not support for a variety of reasons. The revenue shares would be all over the roads. Not to mention the places such as Amazon.com would take issue. That is to say, why use Amazon digital downloads for titles picked up by valve for steam? Not to mention such a move would probably result in Amazon.com buying controlling shares or lock stock and barrel Valve to make sure it would not happen and it'd not even put a dent in Amazons thick wallet.

In comparison, Valve is a very very small player in compare to a eRetailing giant such as Amazon. The online market clout Amazon enjoys is far far far more powerful to publishers/developers (mainstream) than could be measured by digital download royalties or even license purchases.

Amazon says to "Rockstar" for example, you REALLY need to be with US and not them and its exactly what would happen. In short, while not as drastic perhaps... Amazon enjoys more eOnline market clout than any other eRetailer. They are the Walmart of online retailers although comparing the two (Amazon vs Walmart) is not a honest comparison as Walmart is a far far larger and stronger entity. But in making a point of market clout it suffices.

Aka: Having Walmart be an outlet for your new video game, that actively promotes its sale means you are going to make a PILE more money (big pile!) than not. The same stands true for Amazon.

In other words... If the developer/publisher of say FTL slaps it out at Amazon. It makes more money. If same manages to get Amazon to slap and tout' its merits in high traffic landing pages at the site, sales will skyrocket.

According to my brother (who works for Amazon (software engineer)) if you are a featured vendor (third party vendor) and maintain low-price winning the Buy Box selling anything media based (CD's, DVD's, Video Games etc) that are triple-A items you will see a sale every 5-40 seconds all day long.

I said it before... Its why eBay is trying to re-invent the media related categories with UPC's, EAN's and the new display formats. They are trying to get more Amazon-like. Not only to increase conversion rates (sales) but so as they can attract the larger media sales entities and then remove the other sellers thus having better control over site/sales and prospects. At the sametime able to better deal with the resale of mass replicated illegit import copies, becoming a very very hot issue for them.
[/QUOTE]

Fn9Ka.gif

Maybe Steam's at the point where they don't need a clever or fun hook. They are huge, bigger than ever.

Previously their focus was on sales and competitive pricing. While they haven't ignored those, now they are putting more effort into Big Picture, the Steam Box thing, Linux, etc.

Not making excuses for the sale not being as exciting, but just trying to look at it from other perspectives. I guess I feel that Steam doesn't have as much incentive to come up with amazing sales or holiday achievements anymore.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']It's the closest thing to a time machine. Start a game then next thing you know you're 8 hours into the future.

I put around 50 hours into it when I first bought it. I'm afraid to fire it back up, because it's really addicting, and each run last me a whole day or night.[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's why I've always held off on getting it. I know how much Civ IV sucked me in. I just look at my backlog and think of how many games I could complete in the time I'd be playing Civ V. Someday...

[quote name='inm8num2']Maybe Steam's at the point where they don't need a clever or fun hook. They are huge, bigger than ever.

Previously their focus was on sales and competitive pricing. While they haven't ignored those, now they are putting more effort into Big Picture, the Steam Box thing, Linux, etc.

Not making excuses for the sale not being as exciting, but just trying to look at it from other perspectives. I guess I feel that Steam doesn't have as much incentive to come up with amazing sales or holiday achievements anymore.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with that sentiment. It seems pretty clear their next project is developing the 'SteamBox,' looking into a user friendly iteration of Linux, and leveraging their market share into coercing publishers to release Linux versions of their games.

[quote name='Mooby']I definitely agree with that sentiment. It seems pretty clear their next project is developing the 'SteamBox,' looking into a user friendly iteration of Linux, and leveraging their market share into coercing publishers to release Linux versions of their games.[/QUOTE]

I'll be a Happy Panda if the day comes where there are a considerably large amount of games on Steam that are compatible with Linux. Then, maybe, I can finally make the switch, officially. Windows sucks. :cry:

[quote name='dracula']I am not exactly sure you can say that, the sale prices have been just as good if not better than the past sales. there are fewer flash deals, but there are more days(the sale ends january 5th). hopefully they bring back some of the older deals, i still missed out on Ys origins and the oath.[/QUOTE]

Same, I seem to always miss out on Ys and Dragon Age...

IT'S A CURSE I TELL YOU!

[quote name='MrMuffinzzz']How does GTA San Andreas on the 360 wired controller handle?[/QUOTE]

the right analog stick isnt used for anything, it wont let you look around with the right analog stick. other than that, it plays exactly like it should. you have to select 'joystick' in the options and it will play just fine with your xbox 360 wired.

note: i played through san andreas on steam using a xbox 360 wireless, but a wired should work the same, i just had to buy a dongle to get mine to work.

[quote name='dracula']the right analog stick isnt used for anything, it wont let you look around with the right analog stick. other than that, it plays exactly like it should. you have to select 'joystick' in the options and it will play just fine with your xbox 360 wired.

note: i played through san andreas on steam using a xbox 360 wireless, but a wired should work the same, i just had to buy a dongle to get mine to work.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that right stick for the camera is sorely missed, same with widescreen too.

[quote name='dracula']Looks like the summer 2013 will have a few nice games on it(hopefully the assassins creed games will all be $5 or so. [/QUOTE]

Summer Sale Speculation Before Winter Sale is Over
A C H I E V E M E N T . U N L O C K E D !

[quote name='Severose']
No dude, it's NOT cool. Why would he say something like that? I mean it's a suggestion that might seriously be considered.

Back in the day, we'd shine a penny and say that it's worth a dollar. My friend would then go to the market and insist to the cashier that the penny was in fact worth a dollar. When asked why he thought that, he slapped the cashier in the face.

He's now 50 years old and still in jail for things that he had to do while he was put in jail for one night for the assault charge.

It's statements like this that ruin the world, and the lives of all of the people who inhabit it.

Not cool.[/QUOTE]
Stfu, I'll fucking kill you.

[quote name='dracula']the right analog stick isnt used for anything, it wont let you look around with the right analog stick. other than that, it plays exactly like it should. you have to select 'joystick' in the options and it will play just fine with your xbox 360 wired.

note: i played through san andreas on steam using a xbox 360 wireless, but a wired should work the same, i just had to buy a dongle to get mine to work.[/QUOTE]

Wait, how am I supposed to look around then? I think I remember San Andreas allowing you to look around :O

[quote name='MrMuffinzzz']Wait, how am I supposed to look around then? I think I remember San Andreas allowing you to look around :O[/QUOTE]
Back in my day we had to use the L1/R1 buttons to look around.

[quote name='Severose']I'll be a Happy Panda if the day comes where there are a considerably large amount of games on Steam that are compatible with Linux. Then, maybe, I can finally make the switch, officially. Windows sucks. :cry:[/QUOTE]

My experience with Linux makes me never want to use it, but hey it could have been worse I guess. It took me about 3 days to get a non crap Ubuntu that would actually install. If I ever tried using wifi my network would crash, although I legitimately wanted to try it on campus to see if it would take down the entire university's network. And when it said, "Hey you need to update", I made the mistake of actually doing that because now my laptop freezes when starting Ubuntu.... Let me put it this way. I liked Linux so much that it is still on my laptop, but I haven't used in a year and a half. I dislike it so much I don't even want to re-install or take the time to remove it.

Again it could have been worse... My laptop could have started on fire or I could have been robbed during this time.

I like Windows because when there is a problem with it, I mean when isn't there?, there is also information online about it because so many people use Windows and also have that problem. Ubuntu has some information as to why I couldn't connect to my network wirelessly... you know for the version of Ubuntu that is 2 years old so it doesn't apply anymore.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Back in my day we had to use the L1/R1 buttons to look around.[/QUOTE]

Ah right, I forgot all about that, thanks.

[quote name='Severose']No dude, it's NOT cool. Why would he say something like that? I mean it's a suggestion that might seriously be considered.

Not cool.[/QUOTE]

55-oh-you.jpg

[quote name='Bort_']is Hitman: Absolution worth the $25?[/QUOTE]
I liked it but I got it for free with my video card. Some people who played the earlier games in the franchise have kvetched about the disguise system being different and it being more stealth than dress-up. I never played them so I didn't notice. I will say it's the first stealth-based game I felt enthusiastic about playing it "right" rather than saying fuck it and shooting everyone in the face. The plot is amusing enough, nothing you'd pay to see acted out on the big screen but more than enough to hang a game off of. For how recent it is, I'd say $20ish is fair. I have 22 hours played on it; a lot of which was me restarting levels because I was seen and wanted to get it perfect. Had I just started killing people, it'd probably be closer to 15.

Ok so I'm trying to run Saint's Row 3 and the launcher is not even showing up, the window appears but it shows up blank...when I try to run either direct .exe I get the "SR3 has stopped working" after the AMD logo appears. Any solutions?

So I tried Retro City Rampage because I got it free from PS+.

Ok so lets put it this way, it's a top down GTA game but in 8-bit. Now the developer added in references to about everything 80's. The game is self aware it is a parody/throwback to the 80's and that's where it works because it's over the top. You steal the A-Team van, you meet characters like Doc Brown (well renamed of course to prevent a lawsuit but it's Doc Brown), you kill the Ninja Turtles.

It's fun, but I think why it's fun is it's over the top retro all the time. That may be a turn off for some people. It's a good buy around the $7.50-$5 mark because the missions are fun, but besides that the other stuff to do is very meh compared to GTA.

[quote name='MC Kage']Ok so I'm trying to run Saint's Row 3 and the launcher is not even showing up, the window appears but it shows up blank...when I try to run either direct .exe I get the "SR3 has stopped working" after the AMD logo appears. Any solutions?[/QUOTE]
Verify cache integrity?

[quote name='Idiotekque']Verify cache integrity?[/QUOTE]

Installed one thing but it didn't help. Gonna try re-installing...I noticed I can't change the location of the install either, I can do that with all my other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back