The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm interested in Hero Academy too, though I'm unsure whether it is because I really want it (kinda do) or because I'm deal-starved. :D

[quote name='Neuro5i5']So what is everyone waiting on to show up? [/QUOTE]

Unrealistically I was hoping for better Steam deals on:
- Anno 2070
- Far Cry 3
- XCOM
- The Walking Dead

Realistically I'm still awaiting good Steam deals on:
- DiRT 3
- Max Payne 3
- Ass Creed Rev
- Fable III
- Iron Brigade
- NiGHTS into Dreams
- Sonic Adventure 2

(Yes, some of those have been on sale but not at my target prices)

I played a whole lot of Hero Academy on iOS at the start of the year. It does work cross platform. I don't know if there's any evidence to say it'll go bundle though - has Orcs Must Die been bundled?

Wish they'd discounted the DLC - might get the gold pack just for that. I'll be glad to get the TF2 team for iOS either way though.

[quote name='Tsel']Hero Academy is on my wishlist, but again, bundle fodder. The 2 pack for a dollar doesn't seem that bad though. Even if it does end up in a bundle, it's only a dollar.[/QUOTE]

Might not end up in a bundle. Orcs Must Die (also published by Robot) has yet to be in any bundle and you'd think they would have put the first one in one to publicize the second game.

I suppose it seems like a perfect candidate for a Humble Android Bundle but, again, it's odd that the developer hasn't stuck OMD1 in anything yet.

Re: the game itself. Biggest problem is it isn't very suited for the PC with it's 'play-by-email' sort of design. On a phone you just get alters when it's time to make a move, on the PC I assume you have to proactively launch the game once in a while to check. Also seems to have a problem with not a lot of players and/or people not finishing games.

Think I've, at least, talked myself out of the gold edition and might just take the $1 flyer on the base and if I don't like it I'll only be out $1 as opposed to $4.

[quote name='Mooby']Might not end up in a bundle. Orcs Must Die (also published by Robot) has yet to be in any bundle and you'd think they would have put the first one in one to publicize the second game.

I suppose it seems like a perfect candidate for a Humble Android Bundle but, again, it's odd that the developer hasn't stuck OMD1 in anything yet.

Re: the game itself. Biggest problem is it isn't very suited for the PC with it's 'play-by-email' sort of design. On a phone you just get alters when it's time to make a move, on the PC I assume you have to proactively launch the game once in a while to check. Also seems to have a problem with not a lot of players and/or people not finishing games.

Think I've, at least, talked myself out of the gold edition and might just take the $1 flyer on the base and if I don't like it I'll only be out $1 as opposed to $4.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt it will be in a Humble Android Bundle since there is no Android version and no plans to make one. The having to actively check your games is a bit of a pain, but I find if I launch it once or twice a day via Steam that I can spend a minute or two, check my turns, and play any that need it.

If you're someone who's partially interested, I'd say grab the base game for $1 and then grab the other teams in a later sale.

Well that answers that. And, yeah, I'll probably just end up grabbing the base game and 'upgrade' to gold in the next sale if I actually play it a bit.

We have about 10 or so flash deals left and none of the games on my wishlist have hit 66%, let alone 75%. The old Star Wars games, Cladun, To the Moon, all of these should have had a sale by now. Steam used to be a great place to get old or small games for cheap, but apparently not anymore.

[quote name='Motoki']I keep passing on FEAR like 100x but I feel like sooner or later I'll get so sick of seeing it on sale that I'll just cave and buy it even though I don't want it.

It's Magicka and Serious Sam Syndrome.

What these sales do to me.[/QUOTE]
I got the FEAR complete pack on July 16 this year for $9.99...if that helps you hold off any longer. I think it was a price error for a few minutes or something.

[quote name='paulcalypse']I got the FEAR complete pack on July 16 this year for $9.99...if that helps you hold off any longer. I think it was a price error for a few minutes or something.[/QUOTE]

You got it from Steam or Amazon? Because in Amazon was 9.99 indeed but didn't include the DLC.

[quote name='momouchi']We have about 10 or so flash deals left and none of the games on my wishlist have hit 66%, let alone 75%. The old Star Wars games, Cladun, To the Moon, all of these should have had a sale by now. Steam used to be a great place to get old or small games for cheap, but apparently not anymore.[/QUOTE]

Eh, there have already been a ton of indie games on daily and flash.

[quote name='Mooby']Well that answers that. And, yeah, I'll probably just end up grabbing the base game and 'upgrade' to gold in the next sale if I actually play it a bit.[/QUOTE]
If you haven't already and want to go in on the 2 pack, let me know.

[quote name='contej85']My girlfriend used to play WoW and is a Diablo fan and such. Do you think TSW is a game I should consider getting for the 2 of us?[/QUOTE]

Well it's sub-free, so at least you know how much you'll spend on it. The story and setting is meant to be very good, the combat less so. After 3 1/2 years of WoW, I like anything a bit different. I'd suggest Guild Wars 2 as well, same payment model, good game. No real end-game content but the levelling process is pretty cool.

As for ARPG, look for Torchlight 2 when it's cheap. I've been playing it and I've had a blast. Moreso than Diablo 3 which I felt was very grindy in the end.

[quote name='Tsel']If you haven't already and want to go in on the 2 pack, let me know.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer although it's probably something I'll debate until the eleventh hour given it's only a $0.24 difference.

Actually, I take back my plans to get HA Gold. I'll bite on the base game so I can get the TF2 team on my phone, but there's a sale going on teams on the app too, so I can just get shaolin for $1 there and keep not caring about the dwarves.

[quote name='Mooby']Eh, there have already been a ton of indie games on daily and flash.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all the indie games we see everywhere. I'm talking about the ones that no one seems to ever have on sale like SW: Battlefront 2 or Hinterland These sorts of titles are what flash sales should be used for, not Chivalry or Mirror's Edge for the 3rd time.

[quote name='paulcalypse']It was Steam.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. Then I'll wait for another pricedrop or glitch :lol:

[quote name='momouchi']Yeah, all the indie games we see everywhere. I'm talking about the ones that no one seems to ever have on sale like SW: Battlefront 2 or Hinterland These sorts of titles are what flash sales should be used for, not Chivalry or Mirror's Edge for the 3rd time.[/QUOTE]

i did not realize battlefront 2 was on steam
i want

I'm still waiting for Sid Meier's Pirates to hit 75% off.

Has anyone played the Age of Wonders games? I ran across them while looking at Age of Empires III although right now they are only 50% off.

Also, I read a few comments on Kohan games but wasn't sure if they were serious or not. Good games for $5.00 (Warchest package)?

Well that was weird. I bought the Hero Academy 2-pk and Steam told me I had 3 extra copies of Guns Of Icarus to give away. They're not in my inventory though—the extra HA is.

YES!

As you can probably tell from my sig, it's my all time favorite game. :)

I have a copy I'll sell ya for $8.00 Paypal if you're still interested - just PM me.

Everyone should play the AW games.

[quote name='Malibuz0r']Is the "Alan Wake Franchise" worth it? 10$.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']YES!

As you can probably tell from my sig, it's my all time favorite game. :)

Everyone should play the AW games.[/QUOTE]

this statement is truthful

[quote name='Palinn']Has anyone played the Age of Wonders games? I ran across them while looking at Age of Empires III although right now they are only 50% off.

[/QUOTE]

I've only played the first one. It's sort of like Master of Magic (if you ever played that - if not, it's kind of like a turn based strategy game with RPG elements - your hero levels up and so do units, you can take some units and items from scenario to scenario), only with preset scenarios/campaigns instead of random maps. It's decent, but I loved loved loved Master of Magic and I could never really get into Age of Wonders.

Okay so I've got super annoyed at owning a lot of games on Steam and having to click each one to find out if I own it or not :)

So I'm writing a Greasemonkey / Ninjakit script that fixes that and a few other issues I have with Steam.

Search:
YGGWF.png

Works with bundles:
XLR09.png

Works on sales pages:
7wCJd.png

Works on category pages:
8nxRA.png

Finally, it'll "fix" the "No Image Available" for some games in the wishlist:
lEsI2.png

If anyone is interested in a copy of the script PM me. It's kind of in "beta" at the moment so make sure you at least have Greasemonkey (Firefox) or NinjaKit (Chrome) installed.

This = Awesomeness. :)

[quote name='jshackles']Okay so I've got super annoyed at owning a lot of games on Steam and having to click each one to find out if I own it or not :)

So I'm writing a Greasemonkey / Ninjakit script that fixes that and a few other issues I have with Steam.

If anyone is interested in a copy of the script PM me. It's kind of in "beta" at the moment so make sure you at least have Greasemonkey (Firefox) or NinjaKit (Chrome) installed.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']

*snip*[/QUOTE]

That is a fair bit of awesome. PM sent...

i'm curious as to how the holiday spirit is unlocked. I haven't seen any deals/games that interest me so I haven't unlocked the pays for itself cheev yet.

[quote name='jshackles']Okay so I've got super annoyed at owning a lot of games on Steam and having to click each one to find out if I own it or not :)

Search:
YGGWF.png

Works with bundles:
XLR09.png

Works on sales pages:
7wCJd.png

Works on category pages:
8nxRA.png

Finally, it'll "fix" the "No Image Available" for some games in the wishlist:
lEsI2.png

If anyone is interested in a copy of the script PM me. It's kind of in "beta" at the moment so make sure you at least have Greasemonkey (Firefox) or NinjaKit (Chrome) installed.
[/QUOTE]

I've never actually had a problem keeping track of which games that I own. So I guess I don't need this. Though I applaud your efforts. Looks pretty awesome.

Also, on an unrelated note. I know I'm pretty late to the party on this, but LOL @ DOTA 2 winning the vote.

Not sure if I want FEAR 3 or not. I liked the first but really didn't care for the 2nd. Even though it's only $5, I'm still not sure I want it.

[quote name='contej85']My girlfriend used to play WoW and is a Diablo fan and such. Do you think TSW is a game I should consider getting for the 2 of us?
[/QUOTE]

I've heard it's pretty good and Amazon is running another sale on it in January. Plus, it's BTP and the microtrans (if there are any) are minimal.

But if you are willing to spend more, GW2 is the consensus leader of the new MMOs. Reportedly, they've lessened the grind and the quests have more diversity. It's BTP too, which is nice although the lowest I've seen is $30.

But since I'm cheap and was very comfortable with WoW mechanics, I have been sticking with TOR since November. I started off FTP but upgraded to the next tier with a Cartel Coin purchase, mostly for the sprint and 1st bank tab ($5 plus they don't cost coins, so you can upgrade something else).

So far I've hit around 40 on a 50 level cap (soon to be increased) and had a great time playing one of the most expensive games to develop. The biggest downside is the xp hit, which requires you to do every - and I mean every - quest plus some multi-player quests, instances, and multiplay to keep your leveling up through the content. But other than that, it's a great value and with a lot of patience you can get through all the good stuff without paying a cent. I do plan on bailing after I alt a couple 'cause end game sucks in general and is impossible without paying a $15 monthly subscription.

tl;dr - try TOR now to see if you like it, and if not maybe pick up TSW or GW2 on sale depending on your budget.

[quote name='nategator']I've heard it's pretty good and Amazon is running another sale on it in January. Plus, it's BTP and the microtrans (if there are any) are minimal.

But if you are willing to spend more, GW2 is the consensus leader of the new MMOs. Reportedly, they've lessened the grind and the quests have more diversity. It's BTP too, which is nice although the lowest I've seen is $30.

But since I'm cheap and was very comfortable with WoW mechanics, I have been sticking with TOR since November. I started off FTP but upgraded to the next tier with a Cartel Coin purchase, mostly for the sprint and 1st bank tab ($5 plus they don't cost coins, so you can upgrade something else).

So far I've hit around 40 on a 50 level cap (soon to be increased) and had a great time playing one of the most expensive games to develop. The biggest downside is the xp hit, which requires you to do every - and I mean every - quest plus some multi-player quests, instances, and multiplay to keep your leveling up through the content. But other than that, it's a great value and with a lot of patience you can get through all the good stuff without paying a cent. I do plan on bailing after I alt a couple 'cause end game sucks in general and is impossible without paying a $15 monthly subscription.

tl;dr - try TOR now to see if you like it, and if not maybe pick up TSW or GW2 on sale depending on your budget.[/QUOTE]
I'm curious about TOR after playing through KOTOR 1/2 (1 for the first time and 2 for the second). How large is it and if you've played and enjoyed KOTOR1/2 did it add to/lessen their appeal by virtue of essentially being KOTOR3?

[quote name='Angelwatch']Not sure if I want FEAR 3 or not. I liked the first but really didn't care for the 2nd. Even though it's only $5, I'm still not sure I want it.[/QUOTE]

Fear 3 is even worse than Fear 2. They should have stopped after the first one.

[quote name='Angelwatch']Not sure if I want FEAR 3 or not. I liked the first but really didn't care for the 2nd. Even though it's only $5, I'm still not sure I want it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooby']Fear 3 is even worse than Fear 2.[/quote]
Yep.

They should have stopped after the first one.
Loved FEAR 1; liked FEAR 2; FEAR 3 was just "okay."

Y'all are better off w/ Darkness 2 than say FEAR 2 & 3.

It's not a very good or exciting game. Every time it starts amping up the tension, it fizzles away, and reverts back to a generic shoot and take cover FPS action game. I loved the first game, found some things to like about the second, but absolutely hated the third. Only get it if you absolutely have nothing else to play and feel like punishing yourself for anywhere around 5-10 hours worth of game time (I was slow so it took me 10).

[quote name='plft']I'm curious about TOR after playing through KOTOR 1/2 (1 for the first time and 2 for the second). How large is it and if you've played and enjoyed KOTOR1/2 did it add to/lessen their appeal by virtue of essentially being KOTOR3?[/QUOTE]

Ok, I could talk about TOR all day but don't want to clog up the Steam thread on a non-Steam game. So spoiler time!

Loved KOTOR 1 & 2, with a leaning towards 1 although I've yet to play the mod which is supposed to help out 2's story.

Game felt like about 2/3 of vanilla WoW large. Instead of two zones per level group, there is mostly 1 planet. But the planet is large. Also, the population of people playing is large now. Finally, the voice acting is top notch for the character quests although I ended up skipping through a lot of the generic quests. There are some really really good character storylines -- in particular from what I hear Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Jedi Warrior, and Republic Commando.

Finally, I would say the fact that Bioware said TOR was KOTOR 3 (4,5,6, & 7) neither added to or lessen its appeal. This is because some of the characters (I have yet to play) are arguably a sequel narratively to KOTOR 1 & 2 -- particularly the Jedi Warrior -- but others like the Republiuc Commando, Sith Inquisitor, Imperial Agent, and arguably the Sith Warrior are very different stories than the traditional Jedi saves world while being tempted or falling to the dark side, etc. So it's kind of up to you if you want to check out KOTOR 3 or play something in the same universe but different.

Also, some people diss the mechanics because they are pretty much like WoW. But they forget that KOTOR 1 & 2 had more similar mechanics to WoW than something like Mass Effect or Fallout 3. So, if you almost miss the CRPG turnness of KOTOR, then TOR will be right up your ally. Biggest difference is instead of stacking commands you're playing a rhythm game to try to max out whatever you are doing (DPS, HPS, tanking)

The biggest knock I would give the game other than what I already mentioned is the fact that after the first character, you're going to have to be re-doing a lot of content. I wish Bioware could figure out a way that after the first playthrough, you could level and gear and alt by solely doing the character quests, which are different for each character. I might pay a $15 subscription for that....for a month. ;)

Finally, it's worth noting that unlike KOTOR, once TOR flatlines on population it is gone. Hopefully that won't be for years but you never know.

[quote name='MysterD']

Loved FEAR 1; liked FEAR 2; FEAR 3 was just "okay."

[/QUOTE]

I liked FEAR 3 apparently more than others, but I agree with your ordering. I will add that I enjoyed FEAR 3 much more than Perseus Mandate.

[quote name='MysterD']Y'all are better off w/ Darkness 2 than say FEAR 2 & 3.[/QUOTE]

While I completely agree with this, FEAR 3 is a pretty fun co-op game with a buddy. The ghost thing is interesting enough to carry it.

[quote name='nategator']Ok, I could talk about TOR all day but don't want to clog up the Steam thread on a non-Steam game. So spoiler time!

Loved KOTOR 1 & 2, with a leaning towards 1 although I've yet to play the mod which is supposed to help out 2's story.

Game felt like about 2/3 of vanilla WoW large. Instead of two zones per level group, there is mostly 1 planet. But the planet is large. Also, the population of people playing is large now. Finally, the voice acting is top notch for the character quests although I ended up skipping through a lot of the generic quests. There are some really really good character storylines -- in particular from what I hear Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Jedi Warrior, and Republic Commando.

Finally, I would say the fact that Bioware said TOR was KOTOR 3 (4,5,6, & 7) neither added to or lessen its appeal. This is because some of the characters (I have yet to play) are arguably a sequel narratively to KOTOR 1 & 2 -- particularly the Jedi Warrior -- but others like the Republiuc Commando, Sith Inquisitor, Imperial Agent, and arguably the Sith Warrior are very different stories than the traditional Jedi saves world while being tempted or falling to the dark side, etc. So it's kind of up to you if you want to check out KOTOR 3 or play something in the same universe but different.

Also, some people diss the mechanics because they are pretty much like WoW. But they forget that KOTOR 1 & 2 had more similar mechanics to WoW than something like Mass Effect or Fallout 3. So, if you almost miss the CRPG turnness of KOTOR, then TOR will be right up your ally. Biggest difference is instead of stacking commands you're playing a rhythm game to try to max out whatever you are doing (DPS, HPS, tanking)

The biggest knock I would give the game other than what I already mentioned is the fact that after the first character, you're going to have to be re-doing a lot of content. I wish Bioware could figure out a way that after the first playthrough, you could level and gear and alt by solely doing the character quests, which are different for each character. I might pay a $15 subscription for that....for a month. ;)

Finally, it's worth noting that unlike KOTOR, once TOR flatlines on population it is gone. Hopefully that won't be for years but you never know.
[/QUOTE]
Wanting to clarify, by size I meant HDD space. However you have convinced me to try it sometime, whether it's now or later determines on my backlog and how large of a download it is.

I have some thoughts on TSW. I've been in/out since beta.
First. I've played TOR, WOW, GW2, and TSW.
TSW runs like a piece of crap compared to WOW and GW2.
In TSW you get to pick all of your skills and its totally open. Thats great if you have any idea how to link them together. I currently am hoarding points and have no idea how to spend them.

GW2 and WOW flow better I think. I never really hit a wall as hard as in TSW. If you don't know what you are doing, you will get stuck.I like having a more structured mmorpg. GW2 story was standard fantasy in my opinion and I didn't appreciate it much. Wow had enough enviro and off the wall to make it interesting. Plus the soundtrack was incredible, best of any. TSW however is the best in terms of character writing. The writing and story is just totally zany and its a great alternative to the same old high fantasy stuff.

Getting a lot of PMs about my Enhanced Steam script. If I don't reply to your PM right away, it's because I'm helping someone else at the moment lol

[quote name='plft']Wanting to clarify, by size I meant HDD space. However you have convinced me to try it sometime, whether it's now or later determines on my backlog and how large of a download it is.[/QUOTE]

about 30 gigs iirc(i played back in december to january for a month, used the bounty hunter character, it was OK, but had lack of end game content. i regret not playing one of the more sequel storylines. i did the bounty hunter because i really like the voice actor(he was oghren from drage age origins, among other things)

[quote name='jshackles']Getting a lot of PMs about my Enhanced Steam script. If I don't reply to your PM right away, it's because I'm helping someone else at the moment lol[/QUOTE]

maybe just post it here?

[quote name='jshackles']Getting a lot of PMs about my Enhanced Steam script. If I don't reply to your PM right away, it's because I'm helping someone else at the moment lol[/QUOTE]
Wanted to throw out an idea for any future features. A different color bar for items on the wishlist perhaps.

[quote name='plft']Wanted to throw out an idea for any future features. A different color bar for items on the wishlist perhaps.[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea.

Working well so far over here. Installed directly into Chrome without using one of the extensions.

[quote name='plft']Wanted to throw out an idea for any future features. A different color bar for items on the wishlist perhaps.[/QUOTE]

Oh that'd be cool like color a game purple or something if it's on your wishlist? I could probably make that happen.

...or inventory items?

Still a great job.

[quote name='nategator']
[/QUOTE]

This is kind of where I am at with it now. I played through a Smuggler and really enjoyed it but having a hard time getting motivated for alts because of having to repeat some stuff.

It helps a little if you roll your alt on the opposite side but even then there's still some overlap.

[quote name='dracula']about 30 gigs iirc(i played back in december to january for a month, used the bounty hunter character, it was OK, but had lack of end game content. i regret not playing one of the more sequel storylines. i did the bounty hunter because i really like the voice actor(he was oghren from drage age origins, among other things)[/QUOTE]

I guess I am just not cut out to be an MMO player because I got to 50 and the whole idea of 'end game content' even if they had more of it just bores me and the first thing I thought to do was roll an alt because I really enjoyed the story content.

I guess I played it mainly as a single player game that I occasionally chatted with people on.

Anyway, I'm off to try TSW now so we'll see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back