The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='deftrance']Those Lenovo Ideapad deals I keep seeing crop up are making me want one, even though my refurb Asus is going strong.[/QUOTE]
I bought my Lenovo Y580 due to some of those deals around 4 months back. I quite like it and haven't had any serious issues with the computer while gaming or otherwise. There have been a couple random glitches like Steam Overlays not loading on some games that do function properly on an AMD graphics card, but I think that's just spotty support for notebooks because almost everything runs smoothly even on high/ultra (other than PhysX applications in games which lag a bit during the calculations).

[quote name='mombbsmj']Ok, since I only have a few hours left to decide...The Witcher 1 & 2 or Dark Souls? I enjoy pretty much all types of RPG's. Any advice?[/QUOTE]

Having played none of them yet, I'd say always buy two games instead of one, so Witcher 1&2 :D

[quote name='Tsel']Man, Hotline Miami is not an easy game. Incredibly fun and very trial-and-error, but it's rewarding when you do finally complete a level.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is a tough game. Very satisfying though. I had a blast playing it and getting both the normal and secret endings. Gotta go back and get an A rank on every level/unlock all masks. Man that will be tough!

I'm loving this game.

[quote name='mombbsmj']Ok, since I only have a few hours left to decide...The Witcher 1 & 2 or Dark Souls? I enjoy pretty much all types of RPG's. Any advice?[/QUOTE]

I hear great things about The Witcher 2. The first game gets kind of meh comments about it. I haven't played either. I do own the first on PC and the second on the 360 but haven't touched either.

I have played Dark Souls on PS3 though and absolutely loved it. Very rough but very rewarding.

Personally I would choose Dark Souls, but because of pricing I say grab Witcher 1+2 and grab Dark Souls when it drops a bit more.

I too recommend LastPass. Im a long time user of it, and love it.

I never played Dark Souls, but Witcher 2 by itself is a great buy. I put 38.4 hours into the game to get all the achieves (except beating the game on the super hard mode). The game looks beautiful if you have a great rig too.

so what was the point of the encore sale? so steam could troll us with the horrible prices theyve had for the last two weeks for yet another two days?

I dont get it. I really really dont

[quote name='Terlan']Everytime I see Anno 2070 I die a little inside. I can put up with uplay, but not tages.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, if they dropped TAGES I'd be on it in a hearbeat... UPlay or no.

[quote name='FyreFlux']is Rage any good? cant decide if i want to pick it up for 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]

If you like basic id shooters it's completely worth 5 bucks. Don't set your expectations much higher than that and you'll be fine.

[quote name='retrad']so what was the point of the encore sale? so steam could troll us with the horrible prices theyve had for the last two weeks for yet another two days?

I dont get it. I really really dont[/QUOTE]

So they could run a 91% off Sleeping Dogs Flash Sale, of course!

The Witcher 1 is pretty awful. Witcher 2 a rather expansive game that is greatly improved on from the first.

[quote name='Tsel']Man, Hotline Miami is not an easy game. Incredibly fun and very trial-and-error, but it's rewarding when you do finally complete a level.[/QUOTE]

That's what I said at first, then by the later levels I got pretty frustrated at random nonsense. Most annoying was the enemies ability to go all Neo on me when I had them dead to rights in a fatal funnel. I guess they don't make combat shotties like they used to.

Seriously. I got stuck on level 3 (the one where you have to get the girl. I must have done the same "safe" routine - did not work. Then I read one of the loading hints saying something along the lines of "be reckless" and beat it on my first shot.

I have no idea what is going on in the game - I don't know why I am doing what I am doing. But its pretty fun doing it.

Am I the only person who used less than half of the steam wallet money they set aside for this winter sale? Only thing I picked up was the RPG maker. I didn't notice any other deals that weren't previously available in steam sales already. Super disappointing sale, not nearly enough 75% off.

[quote name='terb73']Am I the only person who used less than half of the steam wallet money they set aside for this winter sale? Only thing I picked up was the RPG maker. I didn't notice any other deals that weren't previously available in steam sales already. Super disappointing sale, not nearly enough 75% off.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I didn't buy a single thing from Steam this sale.

I just signed up with Raptr
Having trouble putting in my steam ID
I followed instructions on how to get steam ID
I used my ID numbers and not user name still don`t work
Appreciate any Help

Man, Witcher 1 was great. In some ways I liked it better than Witcher 2. W2 is a better game, overall, just some preference things. But I preferred both of them to Dark Souls (which was still a great game, but I just love the Witcher world/lore/etc).

[quote name='terb73']Am I the only person who used less than half of the steam wallet money they set aside for this winter sale?[/QUOTE]
I couldn't imagine tying up my money in Steam wallet or whatever. I'm not judging you, and for all I know you were given Steam giftcards or a Best Buy/Gamestop card and converted it into a Steam card but apart from that I need to keep my funds fluid for the sale seasons.

Agreed though that Steam's offerings this sale were for the most part very unimpressive.

[quote name='Ardrid']Nope. I didn't buy a single thing from Steam this sale.[/QUOTE]

I bought Drakensang: ROT from Steam.
That's pretty much it.

Most of my money been going to Amazon DVG.

[quote name='terb73']Am I the only person who used less than half of the steam wallet money they set aside for this winter sale? Only thing I picked up was the RPG maker. I didn't notice any other deals that weren't previously available in steam sales already. Super disappointing sale, not nearly enough 75% off.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed RPG maker immediately... everything else I bought for friends since anything cheap I already had. I still want a cheap Fallout 3 GOTY though...

[quote name='deftrance']I think I spent 20 dollars directly in Steam... 90% of my purchases were paid for via Gamestop gift cards.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but that's the whole "I got it for free" when they mean "I had 50 dollars in gift cards" or my favorite "that game is 30 dollars!" no dumbass it's 60 dollars with a 30 dollar gift card"

Well I only had 20 dollars in my wallet so RPG maker kinda slaughtered that even before I bought gifts.

I bought a few things and gifted some things, not the greatest sale in the world by far but it had a few good things

[quote name='MysterD']I bought Drakensang: ROT from Steam.
That's pretty much it.

Most of my money been going to Amazon DVG.[/QUOTE]

Same here, all Amazon for me except one game Amazon didn't have. For some reason my friend continually insists on getting inferior deals on Steam.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']Same here, all Amazon for me except one game Amazon didn't have. For some reason my friend continually insists on getting inferior deals on Steam.[/QUOTE]
I ran the math and saved $60 over Steam's sale prices these past couple weeks. I spent around $70 so I practically doubled my spending power by shopping predominately at Amazon/GMG/GG (and I'm not counting the GG Beth/Bl2 4-pack errors in that $60).

[quote name='JakeNome']I too recommend LastPass. Im a long time user of it, and love it. [/QUOTE]

+1; been using it for about 9 months, after I got fed up with RoboForm's change to an "online service we're going to charge you a ridiculous upgrade fee for every year." I found LastPass, used it for free on my PC for months, got a Nexus 7 in September and bought the annual pass. It's the best $12 I've spent. Yes it is an annual sub (and yes this is where the company makes all of its money), but for the price and convenience, it's the best cloud-based thing out there since Evernote (or maybe Google Play Music).

[quote name='terb73']The Witcher 1 is pretty awful. Witcher 2 a rather expansive game that is greatly improved on from the first.[/QUOTE]

I'll disagree with this. Both are great games but I actually preferred the timing-based combat in the first game (although handling more than 2-3 opponents simultaneously is tricky in either one).

I bought very little directly from Steam. My brother-in-law gave me a $20 Steam card for Christmas and I used it to buy the new Doctor Who game (even though it wasn't on sale-grr), Ignite, DETOUR, Nethergate: Resurrection, Bumbledore, a Sleeping Dogs DLC I ended up re-buying during the Big Glitch of 2013, and Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet.

This sale was much more about trading with CAGs and getting some solid deals from Amazon. The actual Steam sales were, as everyone has been saying, fairly lame.

[quote name='osso1']I just signed up with Raptr
Having trouble putting in my steam ID
I followed instructions on how to get steam ID
I used my ID numbers and not user name still don`t work
Appreciate any Help[/QUOTE]

Hm. Persistence pays off? I found that it sometimes took a few tries to get this to work and even then it's a bit quirky. My Raptr works great with Steam and used to be okay at logging my PS3 trophies but despite the recent fancy visual upgrades, it hasn't noted any PS3 trophy activity in many months (some other users have this problem too and some don't--it doesn't appear to be a big priority on the "to-do" list).

Well, thanks for the recommendations for gaming mice CAG's. I wanted something easily modable with macros if need be, wanted every button to be programmable (for MMO's), and wanted my thumb to do most of the work. I finally picked a winner:

Winner:
SHARKOON Drakonia
Bought for $38.86 shipped from antsonline.com, and no I didn't buy it for the paint job.
Link to Antsonline Product Page

Features:
- Love the idea of that bottom thumb button you can just drop your thumb onto.
- The 4-way mouse wheel (completely programmable).
- 11 programmable buttons (12 if you count the 2-way DPI Selector Switch on top which is re-programmable as well).
- On-board memory carrying 5 profiles at a time with individual LED Color.
- Weight adjustment.
- Rubber Side Grips
- Teflon or Ceramic Slide Pads.
- 5,000 DPI
Runner-up:
Logitech G500 (Thanks asheskitty, I looked at their whole line)
I am a big fan of Logitech. The reasons the Drakonia beat out this mouse are simple: 1. Bottom thumb button. 2. Price. 3. 4-way mouse wheel. I will definitely be keeping this one in mind, but for the price, I had to try out the Drakonia first.
Honorable Mention:
Corsair Vengeance M90
Damn this mouse has potential. It's an ingenous design, 15 buttons right there at your thumb. Placed in a way as not to confuse them (like a blank numpad would). If it wasn't for the reviews saying how it doesn't hold up and the subpar software to govern it, this would have been my pick for sure. It's exactly the design I wanted, but it's best thought of as a prototype for now. I hope they stick with this. This thing has potential.

[quote name='hal']
So they could run a 91% off Sleeping Dogs Flash Sale, of course![/QUOTE]

Man i wish i had caught that...i woulda bought it in a heartbeat, and maybe bought another for a friend...

*sniff*

Anyone by any chance get a second copy to gift? I'll gladly reimburse you....? :D

[quote name='tham1988']anyone remember how much assassin's creed 3 was on sale for?
in case its a repeat deal tomorrow[/QUOTE]

From the looks of it, what you see is what you get. It was only an additional 48 hours for this, and if they added new ones when "yesterdays deals" end, it would make that part of the sale only 26 hours. They shouldn't be replaced.

But to answer your question directly, it was $37.49 (Dec. 28-30)
Assassin's Creed III on SteamPrices.com (Scroll to bottom of page for price history chart, after selecting your region at the top/right of the page for accurate price info)

[quote name='tham1988']anyone remember how much assassin's creed 3 was on sale for?
in case its a repeat deal tomorrow[/QUOTE]

I think the ONLY discount it got during the sale was 25% off, making it $37.49

EDIT:

[quote name='walkonshadows']From the looks of it, what you see is what you get. It was only an additional 48 hours for this, and if they added new ones when "yesterdays deals" end, it would make that part of the sale only 26 hours. They shouldn't be replaced.[/QUOTE]

Most likely: this.

EDIT2:

Starting Doom Rails! Can't believe you have to copy in the CD key!

[quote name='Preedatore']That's what I said at first, then by the later levels I got pretty frustrated at random nonsense. Most annoying was the enemies ability to go all Neo on me when I had them dead to rights in a fatal funnel. I guess they don't make combat shotties like they used to.[/QUOTE]

What frustrates me the most is the dogs and when you get shot by people off the screen. But I guess that would defeat the purpose of the look feature to plan out your attacks. I beat the game fine but getting A+ on every level I don't know if it will happen lol.

[quote name='jshackles']I think the ONLY discount it got during the sale was 25% off, making it $37.49[/QUOTE]

how sure are you?
i was thinking it might have been 33% off or 33.49
and that plus amazon editor's choice would equal decent deal

not 37.49-5 though

wow, whole steam sale

and only game bought was
Sine More for 3.39 and it got more than a dollar cheaper, on me.

Ah well payed for it + a balance of $6.38 selling stuff from dota 2's greeviling event, played a bit too much of it.

Sadly missed the hotline miami deal.

I ended up buying quite a bit - not just at this sale but over the months of November and December, but most of the purchases were low pricepoints like DLC or super-cheap games. Most of my big purchases were elsewhere. I definitely bought much less from Steam this year than I otherwise would have.

November/December haul:

GAMERSGATE
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Viking: Battle of Asgard Retail

AMAZON
Hell Yeah!, Hell Yeah! Virtual Rabbit Missions
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, DLC Teeth of Naros, Legend of Kel
LEGO Batman 2
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1 - 4
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Max Payne 3 WW
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
Prototype 2 Digital, DLC RADNET Access Pack
Rayman Origins
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Silverfall
Silverfall Earth Awakening
Sonic 4 - Episode 2
Sonic Adventures DX, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Jet Set Radio, SEGA Bass Fishing, Crazy Taxi
SS3 Jewel of the Nile DLC
The Walking Dead
Warlock: Master of the Arcane DLC - Power of the Serpent, Master of Artifacts
XCOM

STEAM
Binary Domain, DLC - Dan Marshall Pack
Castle Crashers
Civ V Gods and Kings Expansion
Containment
Critter Crunch
Crusader Kings II DLC African Units Pack, Byzantine Unit Pack
Crusader Kings II DLC Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record DLC - BBQ Chef Skills Pack, COSPLAY Skills Pack, Cyborg Skills Pack, Firefighter Skills Pack
Death Rally
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
Doom Pack 2012
Dungeon Defenders Lucky Costume Pack, Penny Arcade Character Pack
Hell Yeah! DLC Pimp My Rabbit Pack
Hotline Miami
Intrusion 2
Killing Floor - Ash Harding Character Pack
Magicka DLC: Mega Villain Robes, Dungeons And Daemons
Mark of the Ninja
Orcs Must Die 2 - Complete Pack
Quantum Conundrum DLC Puzzle Pack 1 Desmonds Debacle, IKE-aramba
Saints Row: The Third - Unlockable Pack
Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai Collection
Sin Episode 1
Skyrim DLC - Dawnguard
Sleeping Dogs DLC
Spellforce - Platinum Edition (NA)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Super Street Fighter: All-in Costume Pack
The Witcher 2
Torchlight II
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Tropico 4, Tropico 4 DLC: Modern Times, Quick Dry Cement
Ys Origin
Zombie Driver HD

GREEN MAN GAMING
Borderlands 2 Collectors Edition DLC Retail
Borderlands 2 Creature Slaughterdome DLC WW
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
LEGO Lord of the Rings Retail
Sleeping Dogs Digital Edition, DLC Ghost Pig Pack

HUMBLE INDIE BUNDLE
Closure, Indie Game: The Movie Retail, Shank 2, Snapshot, The Basement Collection, Offspring Fling

Darn. Guess I missed RPG Maker; what was the lowest sale price for it?

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Well I only had 20 dollars in my wallet so RPG maker kinda slaughtered that even before I bought gifts.

I bought a few things and gifted some things, not the greatest sale in the world by far but it had a few good things[/QUOTE]

[quote name='evantrees']wow, whole steam sale

and only game bought was
sine more for 3.39 and it got more than a dollar cheaper, on me.

Ah well payed for it + a balance of $6.38 selling stuff from dota 2's greeviling event, played a bit too much of it.

Sadly missed the hotline miami deal.
[/quote]

bgcq....

[quote name='warreni']+1; been using it for about 9 months, after I got fed up with RoboForm's change to an "online service we're going to charge you a ridiculous upgrade fee for every year." I found LastPass, used it for free on my PC for months, got a Nexus 7 in September and bought the annual pass. It's the best $12 I've spent. Yes it is an annual sub (and yes this is where the company makes all of its money), but for the price and convenience, it's the best cloud-based thing out there since Evernote (or maybe Google Play Music).

I'll disagree with this. Both are great games but I actually preferred the timing-based combat in the first game (although handling more than 2-3 opponents simultaneously is tricky in either one).

I bought very little directly from Steam. My brother-in-law gave me a $20 Steam card for Christmas and I used it to buy the new Doctor Who game (even though it wasn't on sale-grr), Ignite, DETOUR, Nethergate: Resurrection, Bumbledore, a Sleeping Dogs DLC I ended up re-buying during the Big Glitch of 2013, and Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet.

This sale was much more about trading with CAGs and getting some solid deals from Amazon. The actual Steam sales were, as everyone has been saying, fairly lame.

Hm. Persistence pays off? I found that it sometimes took a few tries to get this to work and even then it's a bit quirky. My Raptr works great with Steam and used to be okay at logging my PS3 trophies but despite the recent fancy visual upgrades, it hasn't noted any PS3 trophy activity in many months (some other users have this problem too and some don't--it doesn't appear to be a big priority on the "to-do" list).[/QUOTE]

Thanks will keep trying

[quote name='jkimrey']Darn. Guess I missed RPG Maker; what was the lowest sale price for it?[/QUOTE]
34.99, nothing huge

It was pretty much a purchase made completely on ego

If I had purchased a copy of RPG maker, I would have attempted to make a gigantic adventure inside joke with my friends as the leads.

About Witcher 2:

Not saying it wasn't good. I enjoyed the first 75% of the game. By the end of Act 2, I was pretty indifferent. The problem was, I don't know the lore enough. The decisions I made was about as meaningful as flipping a coin, which made the climax very insignificant for me. I think the only character other than the Witcher I actually about was Triss. I really liked the first half of the game though.

But I guess I'm just weird.

I don't really like TWD that much either. I finished episode 3 so far. It's ok, but it's so linear, and so slow. Didn't help that I guessed from the beginning of Chapter 2 most of what happens. And I keep hearing that's the best episode, which kills my enthusiasm for 4 and 5.

I'm starting to see what games make GOTY. Interactive movies.

[quote name='elessar123']
I'm starting to see what games make GOTY. Interactive movies.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be the case for this generation. Games like heavy rain, and TWD are becoming so popular and I don't see the allure in it one bit. Maybe I'm just old school and prefer the awesome game play and the generic saving the princess from the castle story lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back