The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']You know, saw the 91% yesterday and shoved all that DLC in my cart and hurried the hell up and paid for it while it was still that price.

Is there any way to disable the 'cheat' dlc that are really early unlocks of things that you unlock during the gameplay anyway? I really dislike Facebookizing of regular PC games like this and I wish that sort of pay to win DLC was very clearly denoted.

I know some other games like Magic do this crap too.

If I'm just stuck with it now then I'm kind of annoyed at that. I don't mind trivial cosmetic DLC but I don't want cheats and shortcuts.[/QUOTE]

This x1000. Early unlocks is one of the biggest banes of my existence when it comes to DLC.

[quote name='Motoki']You know, saw the 91% yesterday and shoved all that DLC in my cart and hurried the hell up and paid for it while it was still that price.

Is there any way to disable the 'cheat' dlc that are really early unlocks of things that you unlock during the gameplay anyway? I really dislike Facebookizing of regular PC games like this and I wish that sort of pay to win DLC was very clearly denoted.

If I'm just stuck with it now then I'm kind of annoyed at that. I don't mind trivial cosmetic DLC but I don't want cheats and shortcuts.[/QUOTE]

I told you!
[quote name='Stonekeep']There's a lot of useless dlc though .[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Motoki']Ssshhhh! Stop making sense! It's 91% off! Let us just have this one moment! ;)[/QUOTE]

just kidding... I don't know if you can disable those dlc, try this:
http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2517

[quote name='Stonekeep']There's a lot of useless dlc though .[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Motoki']Ssshhhh! Stop making sense! It's 91% off! Let us just have this one moment! ;)[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Although to be fair it's not like we really had time to sit there an analyze the hell out of which one was which on a price mistake. It was all or nothing.

[quote name='poxi']I had the same problem. I really enjoy challenging games, usually I play on the highest available difficulty, so I was really pissed after I saw I started game with 8 lvl, $200000 and probably one of the best car in my garage, which could be unlocked further in game.

To disable those pesky DLC you need to delete a certain files in the game directory:
1E6323E1.dat - Gold Top Dog
576E446C.dat - Silver Top Dog
E58008F5.dat - Red Envelope Pack
AC8D6F78.dat - High Roller Pack
Delete them before you start playing campaign. You'll need to restart and replay if you already receieved bonuses from them.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks I will do that!

I'm not going to cry about paying for them because they were like 17 cents each but I don't want those cheats in my game.

[quote name='sunghost']Um.. did anyone else just buy XCOM for 95% off?

Just kidding, couldn't resist ;)
[/QUOTE]

I wish The Sims 3 had gone 91% off yesterday too. There's a lot of crazy expensive DLC/Expansions with that game.

The cheat DLC won't change up the game too much for you. Don't worry. Having a blazingly fast car a few hours before the game arbitrarily decides to make one available won't throw the game off. The added XP lets you get to the combat variety of the game quicker AND alleviates the stress in the story missions of -5 for driving recklessly, constantly trying to ONLY wear the +XP clothes rather than having the freedom to pick... etc etc. Plus, when I CLEARED the story I still didn't have enough Triad XP to max out that line so anything to avoid that sort of grind is good.

As far as Sleeping Dogs DLC goes, there is a triad side mission pack, a cop side mission pack, a race side mission pack, Nightmare in North Point (Which in my opinion is mediocre at best, but done up like a cheesy kung fu movie.), and the Zodiac Tournament which is done up like an even cheesier kung fu movie which I haven't played yet and likely won't.

The side missions DLCs are probably worth looking into.

[quote name='poxi']I had the same problem. I really enjoy challenging games, usually I play on the highest available difficulty, so I was really pissed after I saw I started game with 8 lvl, $200000 and probably one of the best car in my garage, which could be unlocked further in game.

To disable those pesky DLC you need to delete a certain files in the game directory:
1E6323E1.dat - Gold Top Dog
576E446C.dat - Silver Top Dog
E58008F5.dat - Red Envelope Pack
AC8D6F78.dat - High Roller Pack
Delete them before you start playing campaign. You'll need to restart and replay if you already receieved bonuses from them.[/QUOTE]

Oh this sucks, I already started.

Will steam be re-downloading them if I do this?

[quote name='DonRamon']Oh this sucks, I already started.

Will steam be re-downloading them if I do this?[/QUOTE]

I would also like to know this.

[quote name='DonRamon']Oh this sucks, I already started.

Will steam be re-downloading them if I do this?[/QUOTE]
Probably only with patch updates to the game. I deleted those files, played again to see if they are blocked and all is clear, they weren't redownloaded.
If you haven't reach further than ~40mins of gameplay, so if you haven't received a lot of popping messages about dlc, you can still delete files and block them by this.

[quote name='gilby']Aww. I'm 300 blue coins short. But I'm not sure I want any more games on Gamersgate that could disappear if they go under.[/QUOTE]

Just download the installer (there's a guide on the gg thread) so you can keep that (and the serial) safe.

[quote name='gilby']Aww. I'm 300 blue coins short. But I'm not sure I want any more games on Gamersgate that could disappear if they go under.[/QUOTE]

If you by any chance can scrounge up 6 games attached to your GG account that you haven't reviewed that's 300 coins right there.

Mac versions count if you happened to buy something that gives both the PC and Mac version. Also you can give bundles star reviews as well as the individual games in them.

[quote name='Stonekeep']Just download the installer (there's a guide on the gg thread) so you can keep that (and the serial) safe.[/QUOTE]

It's DRM free so no serial. Basically all you've go to do is backup the files, though I don't know if their installer still phones home on DRM free games. I kind of think it does but there is that guide that Walkonshadows posted that has been mentioned on the GG thread.

[quote name='Motoki']Maybe we need to create a database of the 'early unlock' dlc in Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3, Magic etc and then it could be color coded say red or something in Enhanced Steam. ;)

Seriously though this a real problem with some games. I know Magic always has a ton of people asking questions about it and are really confused because some of the DLC are actual new content (new decks) but most are just early unlocks or sparkly foil crap.

Maybe cosmetic DLC could be orange colored. Hmm, but the database for cosmetic DLC would be much larger.

Still, if there was a way the community could add to the database I'd contribute some.

Probably way too complicated but I just wish there was an easy way to very clearly know when looking at a DLC whether it was new gameplay content, cosmetic or early unlocks.[/QUOTE]

I actually thought about this too, but the problem is that in order to implemented effectively it would need to pull from an external data source, maybe a google doc spreadsheet or something. From what I've seen, people start getting VERY suspicious of chrome extensions when they start pulling data in from other sites.

I could build a small database file and include it with the extension, but it would only be updated when the extension itself updated, which takes out the crowd-sourcing component.

I've thought about doing a similar system for games that have 3rd party (non-Steam) DRM.

[quote name='poxi']Probably only with patch updates to the game. I deleted those files, played again to see if they are blocked and all is clear, they weren't redownloaded.
If you haven't reach further than ~40mins of gameplay, so if you haven't received a lot of popping messages about dlc, you can still delete files and block them by this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I'm gonna try this now.

[quote name='DonRamon']Thanks.

I'm gonna try this now.[/QUOTE]

I'm also curious if placing a dummy file with the same name as read-only would cause issues with the game or simply block the re-downloading of the DLC.

[quote name='jshackles']I actually thought about this too, but the problem is that in order to implemented effectively it would need to pull from an external data source, maybe a google doc spreadsheet or something. From what I've seen, people start getting VERY suspicious of chrome extensions when they start pulling data in from other sites.

I could build a small database file and include it with the extension, but it would only be updated when the extension itself updated, which takes out the crowd-sourcing component.

I've thought about doing a similar system for games that have 3rd party (non-Steam) DRM.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the unannounced surprise 3rd party DRM, or even just having it buried in the fine print, its extremely obnoxious. I really hate that I have to spend a lot of time investigating if games have it or not, but I have come to have certain publishers on my crappy 3rd party DRM shit list (Focus, Ubi etc).

Still, I have gotten surprised by the 3rd party DRM in the past and it really pissed me the hell off. That's the kind of thing I want to know before I buy.

I get what you are saying though. It'd be nice to have the community update these things but it gets complicated. I know there is that Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam that flibitijibibo maintains which I am infinitely thankful for.

I don't really know if there's a good way to pluginize that or the DLC issue. I guess you could have a button for people to submit it and then add it based on that, but you'd be taking their word and it's open to abuse and misinformation. :cry:

Well, I put together my haul list for the sale and I need to stop buying games.

I bought more then I thought I would because I received a lot of Steam Wallet gift cards and was a little easier going buying stuff than I normally would be.

Most of this was purchased on Steam, there was a few things bought from GMG/Amazon/GG or traded, but it is just easier to list it all.

Devil May Cry 4
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Ys Origin
Rogue Warrior
Brink Complete Pack
Doom 3 BFG
Guns of Icarus Online
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Ghost Recon Future Soldier
EndWar
Viking Battle of Asgard
Serious Sam HD The Second Encounter Legend of the Beast DLC
Anno 2070 Deep Ocean
Mortal Kombat Kollection
Red Orchestra 2
Lego Lord of the Rings
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Arma 2 Combined Ops
Rayman Origins
Darksiders 2 Deadly Despair DLC
Darksiders 2 Mace Maximus DLC
Darksiders 2 Mortis Pack DLC
Saints Row The Third The Full Package
Natural Select 2
Sniper Ghost Warrior Gold
The Basement Collection
Offspring Fling
FTL Faster Than light
Skydrift Extreme Fighters Airplane Pack DLC
Painkiller Hell and Damnation
Warms Reloaded GOTY Upgrade
Portal Royale 3 Dawn of Pirates DLC
Payday The Heist
Air Conflicts Pacific Carriers
Assassin's Creed Revelations Gold
Devil May Cry 3
Pineapple Smash Crew
Doom Rails
Fable 3
Fable 3 Traitor's Keep DLC
Fable 3 Understone Quest Pack DLC
Miasmata
Might and Magic Heroes 6 Gold
Legacy of Kain Defiance
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain Soul Reave 2
Serious Sam 3 Deluxe Upgrade
Demigod
Wanderlust Rebirth
Evochron Mercenary
Defender's Quest Valley of the Forgotten
Dreamkiller
Ignite
Sleeping Dogs DLC (all of it)
Magicka Robe Bundle DLC
Strategy First Complete Pack
Hero Academy Gold Pack
Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity
The Sims Medieval
Chivalry Medieval Warfare
Ace of Spades
Skyrim Dawnguard DLC
Street Fighter X Tekken
They Bleed Pixels
Shoot Many Robots
Crossacks and American Conquest Pack
Containment

2 Non Steam games:
The Secret World
Mass Effect 3 Deluxe

[quote name='Motoki']
Still, I have gotten surprised by the 3rd party DRM in the past and it really pissed me the hell off. That's the kind of thing I want to know before I buy.
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I was actually a little steamed (ha) that I had to activate Doom Rails, but then I shrugged it off after realizing that the gameplay was SO BAD that I probably would never touch it again beyond the 13 minutes of it that I played.

[quote name='jshackles']I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I was actually a little steamed (ha) that I had to activate Doom Rails, but then I shrugged it off after realizing that the gameplay was SO BAD that I probably would never touch it again beyond the 13 minutes of it that I played.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

It's actually kind of stupid fun if you play with other people though.

I would play with you some time but it apparently doesn't work with Windows 8. :roll:

[quote name='mjontrix']Well fair points for the res (but then again this is an indie game); but comparing it to Persona 3 & 4 is giving it no chance now is it :D

Persona is more of an RPG than a VN adventure like Cherry Tree; you probably should be looking at more into RPGs then (if you desire more of the action charm) or VNs (Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate come to mind; Muv-Luv as well)...[/QUOTE]

Clearly when referring to charm I was comparing apples to apple of time/school/friend management between CHTCC and P3/P4. Regular CAGs on this thread have had discussions about it. I suspect the CTHCC translation is far to banal.

I was simply noting the 640x480, as it's not anything one would expect from a modern game, period.

Your action insinuation is out of the blue and puts words in my mouth.
Have your own opinion from your own mouth.
I'm not here to argue with you. I posted a deal, I posted my opinion of it from my own experience.

[quote name='Motoki']It's DRM free so no serial. Basically all you've go to do is backup the files, though I don't know if their installer still phones home on DRM free games. I kind of think it does but there is that guide that Walkonshadows posted that has been mentioned on the GG thread.[/QUOTE]

In my experience DRM-FREE games on GG don't encrypt the installer.

I was tempted by the Recettear T-Shirt at MAGFest. Main issue was that my friends would have no context.

recettear-preview.jpg

My list:

Steam:

Ys Origins
Dawn Of War Franchise Pack
Half Minute Hero
Deponia
Overlord Complete Pack

Amazon:
Paradox mini bundle

Also, I have some (possibly) good news for Enhanced Steam users. Seems that simply calculating the account total from Steam was doubling-up purchases made with Steam Wallet funds.

So in the next upcoming version the wallet purchases will be filtered out and will show a more realistic picture of what has actually been spent.

EDIT: FWIW, my "Total Spent" went from $2,200 to only $1,302, since I usually just buy Steam games with wallet funds.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I was tempted by the Recettear T-Shirt at MAGFest. Main issue was that my friends would have no context.
recettear-preview.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It would buy it if it said Capitalism Ho! ;)

I realize that was a Carpe Fulgar invention though and not something from the original Japanese version of the game.

[quote name='Motoki']It would buy it if it said Capitalism Ho! ;)

I realize that was a Carpe Fulgar invention though and not something from the original Japanese version of the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's one of the big reasons I didn't pull the trigger.

And yes, it wouldn't shock me that it was Carpe Fulgar's creation. Sometimes those who do localization get a little creative.

[quote name='unluckynumber11']I bet anything that Fallout will be on sale tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

No Gabe will lul you into a false sense of security. Then BAM! Midweek Madness sale Fallout 91% off!

[quote name='Motoki']
It's DRM free so no serial. Basically all you've go to do is backup the files, though I don't know if their installer still phones home on DRM free games. I kind of think it does but there is that guide that Walkonshadows posted that has been mentioned on the GG thread.[/QUOTE]

I know that, but I'm trying not to have to do that and keep local backups. I'm thinking this one might be worth waiting to get on Steam.

[quote name='jshackles']No Gabe will lul you into a false sense of security. Then BAM! Midweek Madness sale Fallout 91% off![/QUOTE]

91% is the new 75%. Far Cry 3 90% off? No thanks. I'll wait for 91% and by then probably a price drop too.

[quote name='Motoki']Yeah the unannounced surprise 3rd party DRM, or even just having it buried in the fine print, its extremely obnoxious. I really hate that I have to spend a lot of time investigating if games have it or not, but I have come to have certain publishers on my crappy 3rd party DRM shit list (Focus, Ubi etc).[/QUOTE]

Doom Rails is particularly bad on this. When it was released, it did not have 3rd-party DRM. The developer added the DRM in an update. People bought the game without extra DRM and ended up getting that extra DRM later.

That absolutely sucks.

[quote name='gilby']Doom Rails is particularly bad on this. When it was released, it did not have 3rd-party DRM. The developer added the DRM in an update. People bought the game without extra DRM and ended up getting that extra DRM later.

That absolutely sucks.[/QUOTE]

Well, Windows 8 is keeping my copy in mint condition with 0 installs.

[quote name='gilby']Doom Rails is particularly bad on this. When it was released, it did not have 3rd-party DRM. The developer added the DRM in an update. People bought the game without extra DRM and ended up getting that extra DRM later.

That absolutely sucks.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Syntax Error']Value-added![/QUOTE]

Yeah he really needs a hot poker shoved up every orifice for that but, well, you see how popular that game is so maybe he will learn his lesson. Like Ubisoft. Because we know they have gone back and removed their crappy Tages or always online DRM from all the existing games that had it *sarcasm*

I kind of wish Doom Rails was more popular so as to generate more nerdrage for that nonsense. I probably shouldn't have supported it as much as I did but eh it was 74 cents and I am sure the BSB and myself combined were responsible for 95% of that games recent sales.

[quote name='Preedatore']Well, Windows 8 is keeping my copy in mint condition with 0 installs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there's that.

Okay, I officially nominate the Doom Rails dev for worst Developer of the Millennium.

Actually, EA sucks too for not updating The Sims Medieval for Windows 8, though in that case some people actually still give a shit about that game and someone in the community made a fix.

[quote name='bloodling']Nightmare in North Point has some pretty bad reviews though.[/QUOTE]
It`s more Sleeping Dogs, and it`s cheap. I liked what I played of it so far, most games don`t get any single player story-based DLC so I`m pretty pleased with it.

[quote name='asheskitty']Your action insinuation is out of the blue and puts words in my mouth.
Have your own opinion from your own mouth.
I'm not here to argue with you. I posted a deal, I posted my opinion of it from my own experience.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to make things worse, but I feel like you responded unnecessarily defensively here. He made no such insinuation and headed his comparisons and discussion of "action charm" with the word "if," stopping well short of suggesting that you meant anything other than what you had said. His opinions were offered as his own, and I found the comparisons to be useful.

I'm just not seeing where his response was offensive, intentionally or otherwise. We need more :grouphug: here.

[quote name='DPsycho']I don't want to make things worse, but I feel like you responded unnecessarily defensively here. He made no such insinuation and headed his comparisons and discussion of "action charm" with the word "if," stopping well short of suggesting that you meant anything other than what you had said. His opinions were offered as his own, and I found the comparisons to be useful.

I'm just not seeing where his response was offensive, intentionally or otherwise. We need more :grouphug: here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did take it a little personally as, "you silly little gamer, maybe you'd like some swords to swing." But the way it was written felt like that to me. I agree that the most of the rest of his post contributes something to the thread. (Though defending 640x480 is a bit trollish. 640x480 about the same size as a 3x5 card on my screen.)

I'm also a bit tired of my simple deal noting being attacked -- like posting the $5 NFS: The Run (lowest price is has been), and getting a dozen useless (and unrealistic) posts of, "too $$$ waiting for the next Origin free-for-all sale".

To be fair Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is made with RPG Maker so that's why the low res. Other RPG maker game like To the Moon for instance have lower resolutions. A number of adventure games that run on AGS or SCUMMVM do as well. Also a not insubstantial number of indie games I have come across in general.

Maybe because I tend to buy a lot of the above, 640x480 neither surprises me nor bothers me that much. Usually I will run them in a window anyway and in some cases there are options to upscale them with various filters.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I was tempted by the Recettear T-Shirt at MAGFest. Main issue was that my friends would have no context.

recettear-preview.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Crap, this was there?

I was at PAX Prime and didn't see that

Crap, you miss so much when you work a booth lol

The resolution surprises me, too. Probably wouldn't have stopped me from buying it had I known beforehand.

On that note, here's my list of sale gains! I didn't bother including prices. Unless marked otherwise, items were bought through Steam at their best deal prices.

Purchased for myself:
Ys Origin
RPG Maker VX Ace
Dawn of War Franchise Pack
Star Wars: KOTOR
Scribblenauts Unlimited (Amazon, $7.49, earned voucher)
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack
2x Bethesda Collection (GG, redeemed Dishonored and gave wife Skyrim before keys ran dry)
Saints Row 2 (GG, blue coins I already had)
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Resonance
Hotline Miami (Amazon, $0.00)
GameMaker: Studio Basic
Emerald City Confidential
Inside a Star Filled Sky
Penny Arcade's On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
Magical Diary
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
Winter Voices: Overflow DLC
The Walking Dead (Amazon, $7.49)
Sleeping Dogs plus most DLC

Gifts and non-Steam items of note:
Purchased and given as gifts:

The Sims Medieval
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

Received as gifts:

They Bleed Pixels Collector's Edition (old college friend, I'd previously given him a couple of things without expecting this)
Doom Rails (Thanks, Motoki!)
Wanderlust Rebirth (BGCC drawing)

Misc:

Gray Matter (GG, $2.37)
Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) (GoG, $2.99)

So I've decided that (for now) the best way to handle 3rd party DRM with Enhanced Steam is to simply scan the page for certain keywords and if it matches those keywords, display a warning. Something like this:

fWfMc.png

or:

sosqx.png

what do you guys think? Will that work?

[quote name='Motoki'] EA sucks too for not updating The Sims Medieval for Windows 8, though in that case some people actually still give a shit about that game and someone in the community made a fix.[/QUOTE]
Sims Medieval not being updated is a shame, I love that game.

I'm afraid to get the expansion because I'm worried I wont be able to patch it, I know there's a patch that exists, or a work around or something actually but I don't want to get it and brick my entire game.

[quote name='jshackles']So I've decided that (for now) the best way to handle 3rd party DRM with Enhanced Steam is to simply scan the page for certain keywords and if it matches those keywords, display a warning. Something like this:

fWfMc.png

or:

sosqx.png

what do you guys think? Will that work?[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome. It still doesn't help with the pages that don't list it at all, but I suppos people just need to keep bitching at Valve about that.

I would personally prefer to see the type of DRM however if that is too much of a pain then any big red flag warning in general would be most welcome.

Some of it is buried way the hell down on the fine print on those pages.

[quote name='jshackles']So I've decided that (for now) the best way to handle 3rd party DRM with Enhanced Steam is to simply scan the page for certain keywords and if it matches those keywords, display a warning. Something like this:
fWfMc.png

or:

sosqx.png

I like it. Definitely go with the latter option since the obvious next step is for the user to check and see what DRM it is since we all have our preferences.

Or is it not so much a choice as showing the difference in what it does if it can't determine it on its own? I may have misunderstood. But in any case, I like it.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Sims Medieval not being updated is a shame, I love that game.

I'm afraid to get the expansion because I'm worried I wont be able to patch it, I know there's a patch that exists, or a work around or something actually but I don't want to get it and brick my entire game.[/QUOTE]

I have both the base and the expansion to Sims Medieval and the game works fine with the unofficial Windows 8 patch with the Steam version with no issues at all. Maybe EA will fix it someday but not holding my breath on that.

Also, remember you can register you keys for sims games over at sims3.com and then have them added to your Origin account so if you ever have an issue with the game on Steam or decide you want to use the non-Steam version you can always download it from Origin.

The versions of the Sims games you download from Origin do not require the Origin client, so once you download them you can close Origin and not have to have it open at all to run those games.

[quote name='DPsycho']I like it. Definitely go with the latter option since the obvious next step is for the user to check and see what DRM it is since we all have our preferences.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Actually, the first screenshot is just a general "match" against the right sidebar saying "3rd party drm:" and the second is a "match" for the page saying "Games for Windows LIVE".

I'll try to add in as many specific targets as I can though.

I've been picking up a lot more games lately that don't scale up to my full screen res (what do you mean 2560x1440 is uncommon?) and hate how they start fullscreen and mess up the position of all the other windows I have open, usually cramming them into the corner making me have to resize and reposition every time I play a new game. Is there an app out there that will force games to start windowed on first run?

Very nice. :applause:

This sale for me:

Bought:
Bethesda Pack (GamersGate)
The newest Humble Bundle, I guess, if you count that (non-BTA)

Gifted to me:
Hotline Miami
Coconut Queen
Doom Rails
Darksiders 2
Penny Arcade - Rainslick 3

Gifted to someone else
Half-Minute Hero

I might pick something up from the encore weekend at some point today, but probably not.

Not all that an exciting sale and not all that much that I wanted.

Pretty happy with my Bethesda pack.

Any highly recommended Skyrim mods I should be using? I spent several hours yesterday downloading and configuring mods and I'm really enjoying playing through with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back