The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='boredasfook']Purchased Anno 2070 despite all the hate on DRM.[/QUOTE]

I got it during the summer sale. And regretted every minute of it.... well at least until the week after I got it, which was when the UbiSoft servers finally came back up and let me register the game so that I could play.

[quote name='Genocidal']Windows 2000 is not Windows ME and is in fact a very solid operating system, just saying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my bad. I loved Windows 98 SE above all. Today I'm upgrading to Windows 8. I'm getting old xD
Btw, will Magicka ever get a definitive collection?

[quote name='vince_carter']sonic all stars racing: unleashed is getting 3 PC exclusive characters

- the heavy from tf2
- football manager guy
- samurai from shogun 2

sega has been great in supporting steam and the pc market, i'm really impressed with them the last few years

http://youtu.be/YVjKx0rS1OE[/QUOTE]

Sweet! My body is ready. :)

[quote name='DPsycho']I like strategy guides in print form. I occasionally pick up used ones for games I don't have the time to play or for systems I don't intend to buy to get a feel for what the game is like. I also pick up old ones at garage sales when I encounter them.[/QUOTE]

I used to get the print guides a lot, for two specific reasons. First, I hate having to alt-tab out of a game to go to GameFaqs, especially when alt-tabbing crashes the game. Second, the pictures and maps that they employ in written guides are more helpful to me than the pure .txt variety from GameFaqs.

That said, charging $19.99 for PDF versions is just crazy to me when GameFaqs is out there. If it's between struggling to understand which pillar is supposed to be on my right or spending twenty bucks to see a screenshot of the pillar that's supposed to be on my right, I'm going to struggle with GameFaqs.

Alt-Tabbing can be a pain but, for me, I just use my tablet to look stuff up when I don't want to risk tabbing out. And a lot of games (at least the ones I play) have pretty detailed Wikis with pictures, maps, etc.

I can understand people who just enjoy a game and like reading the guides as an extension of that. I used to have a Civ II guide I'd read almost just for pleasure. It was well written and informative and a way to get my Civ II fix when playing the game was impractical.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Where do you have it? I was trying to get the Gamersgate Void version to run and it wouldn't for me. Was wondering if maybe it was just their version.[/QUOTE]

I think Void is the problem there... I believe GG stopped the program and all the Void games don't work anymore. :(

I have an old retail disc!

[quote name='vince_carter']sonic all stars racing: unleashed is getting 3 PC exclusive characters

- the heavy from tf2
- football manager guy
- samurai from shogun 2

sega has been great in supporting steam and the pc market, i'm really impressed with them the last few years

http://youtu.be/YVjKx0rS1OE[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool that we're getting PC exclusive characters, even if I'm not interested in any of them. Makes me glad I preordered it for PC, I just hope the game doesn't have so many issues with AMD cards like the first game did.

[quote name='soulkyo']Btw, will Magicka ever get a definitive collection stop getting DLC?[/QUOTE]

Magic 8 Ball Says: Don't count on it

I have four shelves of my bookshelf in the gameroom stacked with strategy guides... And I have no idea why. I collect them and rarely ever use them. Le sigh.

[quote name='travathian'][WinME] Hi there, remember me? [/WinMe][/QUOTE]

Worst Windows OS I ever used was Windows XP 64-Bit. No drivers, no support from Microsoft, not even the Zune worked with it (yes I bought a Zune, it was cheap one black Friday and a I have a semi-irrational hatred of Apple). The amount of registry tweaking I had to do just to get games to run in 64-bit mode, well the few that did back then, like Hellgate London, was ridiculous (and in the case of Hellgate, not worth the effort at all). Hideous abortion of an OS.

I will say this for WinMe, it rebooted really quick. Which was great because it was going to do that constantly whether you wanted it to or not.

[quote name='Detruire']Was that before they pulled the void service?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='darkling23']I think Void is the problem there... I believe GG stopped the program and all the Void games don't work anymore. :(

I have an old retail disc![/QUOTE]

It was actually before Void was pulled. The issue I suspected was that Void did not have any support for Windows 8. So none of the pre-game ads would load and the game would just go to the main menu and I couldn't do anything from there.

Yeah, I've personally never been one for purchased physical guides, though I suppose I can see their appeal. Even during my text adventure days, the guides I did have were at least on RAM cartridges (volatile) or floppy. That or I made my own guide with these ancient tools called pencil and paper. Like others have mentioned, I mostly just pop up a wikia site on my iPad if I need it. Now if there was a digital delivery of guides through something like Kindle or whatever magazine equivalent, I might be more interested. Though it would have to be pretty high value to compare with what is already free.

[quote name='Genocidal']Looks like it's Capcom weekend on GreenManGaming. 50-75% off a handful of titles, plus the 20% voucher GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK. All games activate on Steam: http://www.greenmangaming.com/capcom-deals/

This is the lowest price for Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2 and the lowest non-group price for SSF4AE that I've seen.[/QUOTE]

Nice deal on Dead Rising 2. If you buy both DR2 and DR2 OTR, the price is about the same as Steam's was during the winter sale, but it'll be missing the DLC.

Lost Planet 2 is tempting, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

[quote name='Genocidal']Looks like it's Capcom weekend on GreenManGaming. 50-75% off a handful of titles, plus the 20% voucher GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK. All games activate on Steam: http://www.greenmangaming.com/capcom-deals/

This is the lowest price for Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2 and the lowest non-group price for SSF4AE that I've seen.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Picked up Dark Void Zero for $1 (using a credit I had) thinking about RE:5 but it's been cheaper before so I can probably wait.

I'm looking at Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes ($4), but I'm wondering whether the first game which is not currently available on steam needs to be played first.

[quote name='deftrance']I have four shelves of my bookshelf in the gameroom stacked with strategy guides... And I have no idea why. I collect them and rarely ever use them. Le sigh.[/QUOTE]

I have about the same amount. Been meaning to get rid of non-RPG guides. Most I bought for cheap, and I actually don't like using guides unless I'm stuck, or I want to see the full skill tree. Those are always available from a quick search online.

I mostly have them because the guide + game is usually worth more money, but I've been converted back to PC gaming, so I don't even care about titles available on PCs any more.

[quote name='spoderman']Nice deal on Dead Rising 2. If you buy both DR2 and DR2 OTR, the price is about the same as Steam's was during the winter sale, but it'll be missing the DLC.[/QUOTE]

Is there really a point to getting DR2 and DR2 OTR? Isn't OTR the same as DR2 but with a bunch of extras?

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there really a point to getting DR2 and DR2 OTR? Isn't OTR the same as DR2 but with a bunch of extras?[/QUOTE]
You play as a different character and the story is different as a result. That's pretty much it as far as I know (though feel free to correct me anyone). From what I've read, OTR is the superior game.

Also really tempted by Lost Planet 2, :/ but man I wish GMG had the first lost planet. It's the superior game IMO.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there really a point to getting DR2 and DR2 OTR? Isn't OTR the same as DR2 but with a bunch of extras?[/QUOTE]

They're different games with different story lines. I liked OTR better, as it doesn't have the time restrictions that DR2 had. Both are pretty solid though.

[quote name='jshackles']They're different games with different story lines. I liked OTR better, as it doesn't have the time restrictions that DR2 had. Both are pretty solid though.[/QUOTE]

Oh that's tempting. I like the no time restriction. That always annoyed me.

Now I wish I didn't pick up Dark Void Zero. Didn't notice it used securom ._.

Edit: Today's daily deal is Gateways - 66% off ($1.69)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Syntax Error']Alt-Tabbing can be a pain but, for me, I just use my tablet to look stuff up when I don't want to risk tabbing out. And a lot of games (at least the ones I play) have pretty detailed Wikis with pictures, maps, etc.[/QUOTE]

I like the games that have their own Wikia pages, but they're so loaded with adcrap that accessing them in the Steam overlay browser can be a chore. Having extra RAM helps.

[quote name='Syntax Error']a way to get my Civ II fix when playing the game was impractical.[/QUOTE]

Like in the throne room, amirite?

[quote name='deftrance']I have four shelves of my bookshelf in the gameroom stacked with strategy guides... And I have no idea why. I collect them and rarely ever use them. Le sigh.[/QUOTE]

+1

Any opinions on Gateways? Reading through the game's Steam discussion boards, it seems to be a decent puzzle platformer. Downloading the demo now to see if I should bite.

[quote name='travathian']Anyone having a problem with the Steam client crashing after the update yesterday?[/QUOTE]

Not crashing, but was suffering from some serious narcolepsy when trying to activate some keys.

[quote name='dbolt']Now I wish I didn't pick up Dark Void Zero. Didn't notice it used securom ._.

Edit: Today's daily deal is Gateways - 66% off ($1.69)[/QUOTE]

I was so close to buying it with my credit until I looked at the Steam game page and saw the Steam Enhanced red warning bar. Bummer.

Lost Planet 2 isn't worth it.

DR2 OTR changes the story, makes the game easier, cuts one of the better bosses, includes a sandbox mode and minigames.

FWIW, the other game by the Gateways dev is Adventures of Shuggy, which is a solid platformer but has been on sale a few times, in bundles, and free on IGN Prime.

[quote name='travathian']Anyone having a problem with the Steam client crashing after the update yesterday?[/QUOTE]

Mine is A-ok. ...and running on a laptop

[quote name='dbolt']Now I wish I didn't pick up Dark Void Zero. Didn't notice it used securom ._.
[/QUOTE]
Dark Void Zero uses Securom!?
[quote name='bantheradio']Any opinions on Gateways? Reading through the game's Steam discussion boards, it seems to be a decent puzzle platformer. Downloading the demo now to see if I should bite.[/QUOTE]
I played the demo this week and didn't enjoy it. It does eventually get to shrinking mechanics, but it's quite Portal: The Flash Version. I didn't like the movement and jumping feel of this, or Shuggy's either for that matter.

Edit: HA! GMG's base price for LP2 is $40 dollars! $40! Not this time, Capcom.

[quote name='pantsattack']Dark Void Zero uses Securom!?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed that too (via the big red warning bar from Enhanced Steam). I got it anyway, since I had the GMG credit. Maybe it'll get patched out some day ;)

[quote name='jshackles']Yeah I noticed that too (via the big red warning bar from Enhanced Steam). I got it anyway, since I had the GMG credit. Maybe it'll get patched out some day ;)[/QUOTE]

It's worth a play for a buck, DRM or not. I played it through Void, just found out that's over!

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Not crashing, but was suffering from some serious narcolepsy when trying to activate some keys.[/QUOTE]

Got a scare a while ago. I activated Lost PLanet 2 key in steam but it didnt show in my game list. Had to restart steam twice before it showed up.

[quote name='Terlan']You play as a different character and the story is different as a result. That's pretty much it as far as I know (though feel free to correct me anyone). From what I've read, OTR is the superior game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']They're different games with different story lines. I liked OTR better, as it doesn't have the time restrictions that DR2 had. Both are pretty solid though.[/QUOTE]

First, there are still time limits on the missions, and if you miss the key missions, you still fail the game and have to reload. It happened to me and a friend several times. jshackles might be referring to the fact that there is no overall 72-hour time limit, but that was really more of an end-game timer because if you didn't do the key missions within their specified timeframes in DR2, you still failed the game and the overall time limit didn't matter. I can't confirm or deny that DR2 OTR doesn't have the 72-hour time limit, though, as I don't remember.

Second, I played the SHIT out of DR2, and went into OTR hoping the story would be different. I am about a third of the way through and the story is basically identical to DR2, with even the exact same cutscene dialogue from characters who are not Chuck/Frank. So far, I have done the same things, fought the same bosses, in the same order as DR2. They are even in the same fuckin places (survivors who must be rescued are in the same places as well). I was really disappointed by that.

I liked DR2 better, at least so far, because it felt more insidious than OTR, which has more levity. Not to say that DR2 isn't silly, because it purposefully is, but it is also a very violent game with some seriously evil bastards in it. OTR feels a lot more like a romp, and tonally I just preferred DR2.

[quote name='supershammy']First, there are still time limits on the missions, and if you miss the key missions, you still fail the game and have to reload. It happened to me and a friend several times. jshackles might be referring to the fact that there is no overall 72-hour time limit, but that was really more of an end-game timer because if you didn't do the key missions within their specified timeframes in DR2, you still failed the game and the overall time limit didn't matter. I can't confirm or deny that DR2 OTR doesn't have the 72-hour time limit, though, as I don't remember.
[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the addition of the "sandbox" mode they added to DR2 OTR, where you are free to explore, not worry about missions, and just have fun bashing zombies endlessly. I never completed the missions in DR2: OTR, but I probably put 10-15 hours into sandbox mode on the Xbox 360 version.

[quote name='Flowette']
Poker Night is basically just a series of games. You play a game, you might get a chance to get an achievement or win a TF2 item from an opponent, but that's kinda it. It's got more character to it, but in terms of depth there's not much there.

There ain't much depth to Governor either, from what little I've seen, but at least there's a point to it. And it involves hats.

asheskitty has just purchased Governor of Poker 2: Premium Edition[/QUOTE]

I bought what?!? I feel a step closer to admitting that I have a problem. :joystick:

[quote name='Seraphym']The only guide I've ever bought was for FFTactics & it was very helpful.[/QUOTE]
I think that game would be impossible to 100% without resorting to a guide, lol. Deep Dungeon...

In for $8 Lost Planet 2, if only to continue to story from the first game. Still cheaper than console!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Bought Lego LOTR. I really did not want to buy it yet but my fucking friend was saying how he likes it and it was $8.16 on GMG. I will get to it sometime.[/QUOTE]

If you're a fan of the Lego games and of LOTR, it's hard to go wrong with that one. I've put 25 hours into it and still only at about 75% completion. For $8 it's a steal.

Any opinions on SF4:AE at $8??? On GMG

Last SF I played was on the PS2... I think it Was Alfa or Zero (correct me if I'm wrong)... and I can't remember those being great... but I loved SF2 on SNES

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back