The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gilby']Grab Life & Death. I've been waiting for a modern take on that game for over two decades now.[/QUOTE]

I always considered the Trauma Center series as the modern take.

I used to play Life and Death in middle school on a mac... unless that was a similar game.

[quote name='smurfinaus']Whats this humble store people go on about?Is there an actual storefront of some type atm?[/QUOTE]

It's more a payment processing thing, sort of like Google payments or something like that. It does allow for the game to be tied to your Humble Bundle account though.

Anyway, I the $1 offer is over but you can still buy the game via the Developer's website, which does use the Humble Store to process payments.

http://www.anodynegame.com/

Gamefly has a 20% off coupon for March GFDMAR20.

Right now, you can use it on Sine Mora ($1.99 after coupon) or Sniper Elite Nazi Zombies ($9.59 after coupon) which are already on sale to bring those down even further.

Also Fallen Enchantress is $10.87 after coupon and there's some non-Steam Kalypso stuff too.

http://www.gamefly.com/download-games/browse/?pf=1100&cat=OnSale#.US0-4DCcdic

Sounds like this coupon should be good through the month of March hopefully, so keep an eye out for more sales from them that can stack with the coupon.

Oh and Gamefly charges no tax in WA state. I know there's a few of us here that get slammed on the tax from Valve and Amazon and Gamestop so it's nice's to have a US based digital downloads retailer that doesn't charge us tax.

[quote name='Preedatore']I know nobody cares, but you owe the tax regardless of if the retailer charges it or not.[/QUOTE]

We don't take kindly to your kind around here.

[quote name='Preedatore']I know nobody cares, but you owe the tax regardless of if the retailer charges it or not.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. There's a section on my state tax return and I fill out that section and pay an amount based on my income according to a standard table in the instructions, surely put together by actuaries based on expected average purchases.

Of course, that leads to a perverse incentive to buy from out-of-state retailers that don't charge me sales tax on the purchase, as there is no deduction on that standard amount for doing so.

[quote name='itsoverninethousand']We don't take kindly to your kind around here.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't care less what you take kindly to. Just because you don't like the truth doesn't mean it's not the truth.

Are the Bundle Stars worth the asking price? I'm considering buying the 3 bundles, it's a shame that I missed "The Whispered World". Any thoughts about the bundles or if anyone have a spare key for The Whispered World to sell/trade? Thanks.

The truth is relative to interpretation of each state's law... it's leaning towards owing sales tax on anything you buy, even online, but that's just states wanting to collect as much sales tax as possible.

The purchase of digital products from out of state entities is in a gray area. The whole Amazon debacle is due to Amazon's wishes to expand distribution centers and same day shipping and willing to just concede the sales tax issue rather than fight it and cost them more money in the long term.

Oh the internet...

Next time I won't mention sales tax so as to not stir internet arguments. :roll:

In other news, WarZ is a back. Gotta love those metacritic scores.

warzb.jpg

*Edit: And people on the community forum are saying that developer is going through and deleting posts that say anything negative about their game again, just like they did last time.

Yep, I am literally seeing posts disappear as I hit refresh.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']The truth is relative to interpretation of each state's law... it's leaning towards owing sales tax on anything you buy, even online, but that's just states wanting to collect as much sales tax as possible.

The purchase of digital products from out of state entities is in a gray area. The whole Amazon debacle is due to Amazon's wishes to expand distribution centers and same day shipping and willing to just concede the sales tax issue rather than fight it and cost them more money in the long term.[/QUOTE]
They also win big by being there first and having the infrastructure and money to support it. If they throw their weight behind the taxation, they can force all of their competitors to have to catch up to the logistical nightmare of 50+ different state sales tax computations and deliveries and crush a lot of the competition sellers right out the gate.

[quote name='soulkyo']Are the Bundle Stars worth the asking price? I'm considering buying the 3 bundles, it's a shame that I missed "The Whispered World". Any thoughts about the bundles or if anyone have a spare key for The Whispered World to sell/trade? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I thought the newest one was worth it as I only had two of the games. The earlier two bundles are a bit pricey unless you have none of them.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']for those still with IGN Prime Super House of Dead Ninjas is the free game of the month[/QUOTE]

I just got the email! Didn't it come out on Steam, like, thirty seconds ago?

Lies. I don't owe tax on digital games.

I do have to pay tax on the unsubsidized price of cellphones, which is complete bullshit.

[quote name='Preedatore']I couldn't care less what you take kindly to. Just because you don't like the truth doesn't mean it's not the truth.[/QUOTE]
But it isn't the truth

[quote name='Motoki']Oh the internet...

Next time I won't mention sales tax so as to not stir internet arguments. :roll:

In other news, WarZ is a back. Gotta love those metacritic scores.

warzb.jpg

*Edit: And people on the community forum are saying that developer is going through and deleting posts that say anything negative about their game again, just like they did last time.

Yep, I am literally seeing posts disappear as I hit refresh.[/QUOTE]

So arrogant too, assuming people are within those national boundaries. Whenever I want to save on sales tax, I just take my yacht into to international waters and purchase from there. ^_~

Wow those are some review scores, I know I've seen critic meta scores the in 30s, not quite sure I've seen 20s, but I know I've never ever seen user scores in the teens. Apparently they're not deleting those angry posts fast enough =D

Just finished inversion tonight with a buddy. Wow worst ending ever.

What a stinker of a game. It was mediocre when it was best and parts of it sheer agony.

When it goes on sale don't ask yourself if it is worth the money, ask if it is worth a small part of your soul dying.

[quote name='pROvIs']Just finished inversion tonight with a buddy. Wow worst ending ever.

What a stinker of a game. It was mediocre when it was best and parts of it sheer agony.

When it goes on sale don't ask yourself if it is worth the money, ask if it is worth a small part of your soul dying.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was quite a nice little shooter myself. I cannot see how one could like Binary Domain and not have fun with Inversion

[quote name='RollingSkull']I thought it was quite a nice little shooter myself. I cannot see how one could like Binary Domain and not have fun with Inversion[/QUOTE]

Binary domain was a much superior game to me with a more interesting but still predictable story with a couple decent twists. Binary also had more interesting enemies and bosses.

Inversion just felt like a mess to me and the ending felt like they just pissed in my coffee. Enemies were generic, had major sound problems, the low grav parts were horrible, weapons were boring, and bosses repetitive. Everyone has different things they like but the only reason I even finished inversion is because I was playing coop.

[quote name='Mooby']Forge is crap plus there's almost nobody playing. FE is fairly rough and as mentioned above the standalone expansion plus base game will be $40 in April or May. My concern with buying the base game now is that the option to buy the standalone at half price won't stack with future sales, i.e., the sale discount will just override the 'loyalty' discount.

Moreover there are a lot of 'features' in the expansion that you'd arguably expect from a free patch (as they fix a lot of broken/unpolished gameplay mechanics) but Stardock is charging for it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, it looks like a glorified DLC, and I'm skeptical that I'm going to be able to 'loyalty' on future sales as well, so it's probably $20 when it comes out, or wait for the $40 price for the standalone to reach a sale point where it's worth it. (Ie, a year or so probably)

Stuff I've played this week:

Warhammer 40k Space Marine. Enjoyable mindless shooting romp. There's no real variety to the action and it feels like a cover-based shooter without any cover but for what it was I enjoyed it. The Warhammer universes are always pretty cool so this was good enough for me. Not amazing but not rubbish.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. Fun! Fly a little space-ship around a horrible gnarly planet solving puzzles. I liked this more than I expected and nearly finished it in one sitting. Short-ish but fun and well presented. GFWL if that matters.

You can probably get both pretty cheap from the Steam Trading thread.

Does anybody have any experience with Gyromancer? I see it's cheap on Amazon. While it certainly looks interesting, the reviews are very hit-and-miss.

[quote name='Draekon']Gyromancer is alright. It's nothing special, but it's a pretty decent time passer.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is as good as other "puzzle quest" type games. I eventually got stuck and couldn't move forward. (I think I needed a bunch of combos to move past a barrier.)

Informal survey: how many people here use Raptr, Playfire, and/or Xfire?

I've been using Raptr for a while now but it's a bit irritating because it stopped tracking my PS trophies and games over a year ago and it's a problem that the devs seem not too intent on fixing. Oddly, I recently joined Playfire for the GMG giveaway last month and I have the exact opposite problem: it finds my PS3 games and trophies and doesn't recognize my Steam account or my "Live" games (PC).

I'm just wondering whether anyone else is having similar problems and what people think about these services overall. Also, I'd like opinions on Xfire because I've never used it and am toying with the idea of signing up.

[quote name='jazyje']I want LA NOIRE complete for $5!!! How many times will this go on sale at $7.49??? It is time for it to become a lower priced game![/QUOTE]

I understand, but as long as they've made me wait, I'll wait until Tony shoves it into a bundle at a price you can't refuse.

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is The Steam Store at 100% offline (for me at least).[/QUOTE]

How much is it? I won't bite unless it's 75% off.

The deal of the day is Dear Esther at $2.49

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is The Steam Store at 100% offline (for me at least).[/QUOTE]

The actual deal is Dear Esther for $2.49.. and now the store refuses to load for me lol.

In for a 404.

[quote name='spoderman']The actual deal is Dear Esther for $2.49.. and now the store refuses to load for me lol.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. You must be devastated. ^_~

[quote name='spoderman']The actual deal is Dear Esther for $2.49.. and now the store refuses to load for me lol.[/QUOTE]

Dear Esther is a good Youtube movie. Wait...you mean it's a game? Oh. Well then... ;)

[quote name='Drabelincoln']for those still with IGN Prime Super House of Dead Ninjas is the free game of the month[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to reiterate this. Redeemed my copy as it went live, and it's definitely got its charm. There are plenty of awesome attacks and challenging bosses that keep the game interesting, plus 50 new levels, an added Tower Mode, and a create and share your own level design mode will have Megaman fans coming back again and again. I can't really do it justice with words, but if you're even remotely interested in platformers, you at least owe it to yourself to watch the video. Keep in mind that it was originally a flash game on Adult Swim's website, so it's also a bit weird. Math for borders? Why not?

[quote name='warreni']Informal survey: how many people here use Raptr, Playfire, and/or Xfire?

I've been using Raptr for a while now but it's a bit irritating because it stopped tracking my PS trophies and games over a year ago and it's a problem that the devs seem not too intent on fixing. Oddly, I recently joined Playfire for the GMG giveaway last month and I have the exact opposite problem: it finds my PS3 games and trophies and doesn't recognize my Steam account or my "Live" games (PC).

I'm just wondering whether anyone else is having similar problems and what people think about these services overall. Also, I'd like opinions on Xfire because I've never used it and am toying with the idea of signing up.[/QUOTE]

I have accounts on all three, but Raptr's the only one I use. And that's mostly because I want the free stuff they give away. The only thing I dislike about Raptr is that you have to set your game information and activity to "public", but that's probably the case with all three of them. The client has changed to resemble RocketDock way too much.

Trackmania 2 Canyon and Shootmania show up on Steam today. If you already had them before, their serial keys registers on Steam.

[quote name='warreni']Informal survey: how many people here use Raptr, Playfire, and/or Xfire?

I'm just wondering whether anyone else is having similar problems and what people think about these services overall. Also, I'd like opinions on Xfire because I've never used it and am toying with the idea of signing up.[/QUOTE]

I have a Raptr account, but I actually use my Xfire account.

Never had an issue with Raptr, but their client seemed bloated back when I tried it. I initially joined for the free stuff but most of it isn't even worth that price. I just wanted something to track my PS3 games.

Xfire is for PC games only and it seems like there aren't many people who use it anymore. The CAG "clan" is almost completely devoid of active gamers. I still like the interface, though. It's simple, plus my account is about 7 years old.. That's a lot of games tracked.

[quote name='AngryNerdJosh']Where do you actually find what is on sale in this thread? I'm new to steam and the deals on the wiki post are really old[/QUOTE]

People don't really edit it and there isn't much point. The main deals are displayed prominently on the front page of the Steam client's store page and/or homepage. You can also look under the 'specials' tab for additional deals.

[quote name='Mooby']People don't really edit it and there isn't much point. The main deals are displayed prominently on the front page of the Steam client's store page and/or homepage. You can also look under the 'specials' tab for additional deals.[/QUOTE]
It's simple, helpful posts like this that remind me why this thread's so great - Where else on the Internet do people act this civilized?

[quote name='AngryNerdJosh']Where do you actually find what is on sale in this thread? I'm new to steam and the deals on the wiki post are really old[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooby']People don't really edit it and there isn't much point. The main deals are displayed prominently on the front page of the Steam client's store page and/or homepage. You can also look under the 'specials' tab for additional deals.[/QUOTE]

What Mooby said.

With regard to finding the deals here, you basically skim the last couple of pages or so of this thread and if there's a deal someone is probably talking about it. People also tend to discuss deals for games from other sources that redeem on Steam like indie bundles, Amazon, Gamersgate etc which you'd miss if you just check Steam's page.

If you really want an at a glance listing of just deals on Steam games across the board from various sources (not just from Steam themselves) then Reddit Game Deals is probably a better place to look for that.

They do post some GOG DRM free stuff and console stuff sometimes but most of the stuff are deals on there are deals on Steam or that games that activate on Steam. If not it's generally clearly noted.

There are some really handy posts there sometimes. Like the list of all games Amazon has on sale right now that redeem on Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back