The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
If it has support for a controller, I use it.

There are rare exceptions. And I do KB/M for FPS games, but as everyone says "I like to lean back" (or lean forward in a more comfortable way.)

And my cheap desk setup is hell when it comes to ergonomics. I'd like to spend as little time in long, uninterrupted KB/M position as possible.

I feel like I can go back 10 pages and see the same list of posts about who plays what with what and when and how.

The life of the Steam thread:

Phase 1: Ooooh! New Thread! New Thread! Posting because of new thread!
Phase 2: When's the next sale? Is there a sale? When is it?
Phase 3: Steam sucks! Steam rules! You're both wrong! You're both right!
Phase 4: Keyboard and mouse! Controller! Controller sometimes, keyboard/mouse sometimes!
Phase 5:
burger.jpg

Phase 6: Is it time for a new thread?
Phase 7: When's the next sale? Is there a sale? When is it?
Phase 8: Steam sucks! Steam rules! You're both wrong! You're both right!
Phase 9: Keyboard and mouse! Controller! Controller sometimes, keyboard/mouse sometimes!
Phase 10: Is it time for a new thread?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I feel like I can go back 10 pages and see the same list of posts about who plays what with what and when and how.

Phase 4: Keyboard and mouse! Controller! Controller sometimes, keyboard/mouse sometimes!
Phase 5:
burger.jpg

Phase 9: Keyboard and mouse! Controller! Controller sometimes, keyboard/mouse sometimes!
Phase 10: Is it time for a new thread?[/QUOTE]
Replace the cheeseburger with breakfast meats this time.
is it time for a new thread

Phase 11: CheapLikeAFox feels like he can go back 10 pages and see the same list of posts about who plays what with what and when and how.

threadception?

I'd add a phase where people discuss that a ton of posts have been deleted, someone asks what was deleted, people recap, and someone doesn't post for a week from a temporary ban.

Maybe also a "WHY DOESN'T ANYONE UPDATE THE OP I DEMANDS IT THIS THREAD SUCKS AND YOU ALL SUCK" portion.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I feel like I can go back 10 pages and see the same list of posts about who plays what with what and when and how.

Phase 5:
burger.jpg

[/QUOTE]

You got the broad strokes down but missed intermediate phases like

"What's up with this greenlight bullshit! Valve is lazy! No, Gabe just likes Bad Rats more than Drakansang!"

and

"You are so full of shit, RollingSkull! Stop Trolling! But I think he's entertaining! I admire his opinions! ANIME!"

and, lest you forget,

"Origin is the worst. I think Origin is a totally fine client. Sure, the client's fine, but there aren't any sales! What about the free sale, lul?"

and

"Daily Deal is up. It sucks. Is Gabe Newell personally fucking with us on this? Actually, I think it's a good game. Worth the 2.50. I'm waiting for a bundle!"

[quote name='Motoki']You didn't hear? They patched it back in shortly after and there was much rejoicing
by myself and the 3 other people who actually give a shit about it

I don't know what the hell they were thinking by taking the dancing out. It's like they were trying to make the game respectable or something. The nerve![/QUOTE]

They did?!? Praise be the Mayan Gods!
anin.gif
anin.gif
anin.gif

hamu.gif
hamu.gif
hamu.gif

anin.gif
anin.gif
anin.gif

gerbil.gif
gerbil.gif
gerbil.gif

[quote name='warreni']Rat-on-cat violence doesn't bother me too much.
Hm. Don't get me started on humans; I have a long list of them that should be spayed. Well, not literally-that would be scary. ;)[/QUOTE]

Just rats on two legs if you ask me.

Phase 5:
burger.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I feel that is a thinly veiled guise to simply post more burger pics. I see right through your ruse. ^_~

[quote name='Larce80']theres one thing you wont find in last 10 pages..........a deal! :p[/QUOTE]

...this is the steam thread... off season(al sale)

[quote name='asheskitty']...this is the steam thread... off season(al sale)[/QUOTE]

What's that? Steam beer and seasonal ale? Now we've got a thread going.

u2x3VZz.jpg

Okay, fine, here's a steam deal...

Tomorrow (Saturday) GMG will have a popular game on sale for 75% off, $12.50, this title shall be referrred to by it's anagram A Binomial Nut Shot. The 20% off code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS should bring it to it's lowest price ever.

Okay, fine, here's a steam deal...

Tomorrow (Saturday) GMG will have a popular game on sale for 75% off, $12.50, this title shall be referrred to by it's anagram A Binomial Nut Shot. The 20% off code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS should bring it to it's lowest price ever.

[quote name='louiedog']What's that? Steam beer and seasonal ale? Now we've got a thread going.
u2x3VZz.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I see your bier, and I raise you an:

anchor-steam-beer.jpg

Local Bier, FTW! (Actually their brewery causes a distinct smell for a few blocks in Potrero Hill.)

[quote name='asheskitty']I see your bier, and I raise you an:

Local Bier, FTW! (Actually their brewery causes a distinct smell for a few blocks in Potrero Hill.)[/QUOTE]

I used to live in SF and happily took everyone who visited me on the tour, as well as occasionally with local friends. I've been on many brewery tours and it's probably still my favorite. I can't think of any others that'll give you unlimited free pours of everything they're currently brewing.

anchor-steam-beer.jpg

Local Bier, FTW! (Actually their brewery causes a distinct smell for a few blocks in Potrero Hill.)[/QUOTE]

You raised him by the same brewery!

[quote name='supershammy']You raised him by the same brewery![/QUOTE]

Yes, what were you expecting? Buttwiper? (Budweiser) Though a fresh one, not some skunked 2010 holiday edition. ^_~

Phase 5:
burger.jpg

Phase 10: Is it time for a new thread?[/QUOTE]

I would add somewhere in there "Will be in a bundle? is total bundle fodder. is now live!"

Then there's 10 more pages discussing that bundle and all bundles before it. :)

[quote name='asheskitty']Okay, fine, here's a steam deal...

Tomorrow (Saturday) GMG will have a popular game on sale for 75% off, $12.50, this title shall be referrred to by it's anagram A Binomial Nut Shot. The 20% off code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS should bring it to it's lowest price ever.[/QUOTE]

That's a STEAL!
This game is easily worth that.

EDIT:
$10 after coupon = INSANE.

Seems like my post on BGCQ didn't get viewed enough; for those in the group, I have several contests going on (and had some last week too, so more this coming week as well!)

[quote name='Idiotekque']I play platformers, racing games, and fighting games on a controller. Everything else on KB/M.[/QUOTE]

Same here, for the most part.
Racers, Platformers, Fighters - gamepad all the way for me.

Some games that have botched KB/mouse controls and/or just feel like they were totally built around a gamepad - yeah, it's kind of in your best interest to go w/ the gamepad.
I'm thinking PC versions of RE4 and Dark Souls PTD here.

Usually - RPG's, Shooters (FPS/TPS), I prefer KB/mouse.

anchor-steam-beer.jpg

Haha, moar Anchor Steam! One of my favorites.

This is my go to beer currently.

003.JPG

Been trying War of the roses... is REALLY hard... but great. Maybe I like it because I'm used to the M&B battle mechanics. There are some things like the perks that I don't know well what's their exact purpouse. Also, I didn't see the über customization aspect... is because is a free weekend and all most of the options are locked?

I just played 5 hours of Crusader Kings II.

After a total of 8 hours playing, and another 4 hours watching/reading tutorials, I'm pretty sure I have a basic handle on things. (As in I have some kind of ground beneath my feet rather than floating about wild and confused.)

This game is really damn cool. And super addictive.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']The even funnier part is that the Steam thread is always in the list of the top 15 deals even when nothing is on sale.[/QUOTE]

There's always something on sale. It's just that for most of us here we either have it already or the sale does not meet or rigorous CAG PC gamer sale pricing standards (ie it's not 75% off).

[quote name='Eldredpe']I just played 5 hours of Crusader Kings II.

After a total of 8 hours playing, and another 4 hours watching/reading tutorials, I'm pretty sure I have a basic handle on things. (As in I have some kind of ground beneath my feet rather than floating about wild and confused.)

This game is really damn cool. And super addictive.[/QUOTE]

I need to get back to that game some day. People say it's fantastic and I'm sure it is once you get that hang of it, but that's a whole lot of hours and reading and watching just to get to the point where you feel like you're not totally floating about wild and confused.

For now though, I've gone over to the dark (console) side for a bit. Just bought a PS3 and am playing through Ni No Kuni.

[quote name='Motoki']
I need to get back to that game some day. People say it's fantastic and I'm sure it is once you get that hang of it, but that's a whole lot of hours and reading and watching just to get to the point where you feel like you're not totally floating about wild and confused.
[/QUOTE]

I absolutely understand and would normally agree.

It was just one of those things where I decided I really wanted to tackle something difficult and learn something new (the concept of playing a grand strategy game) so I'm going through and doing it. So far it's been pretty rewarding, though. It isn't as daunting as it had originally seemed, but it definitely takes some work. It seems like most of that work is focused on cracking the barrier of entry though, rather than there being some massive amount of intellectual exertion from start to finish.

Will probably report back on this later, as I think the perspective of "person who has never played a game like this and is learning to play a game like this" is probably the right tone to inform most people in this thread on it.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I absolutely understand and would normally agree.

It was just one of those things where I decided I really wanted to tackle something difficult and learn something new (the concept of playing a grand strategy game) so I'm going through and doing it. So far it's been pretty rewarding, though. It isn't as daunting as it had originally seemed, but it definitely takes some work. It seems like most of that work is focused on cracking the barrier of entry though, rather than there being some massive amount of intellectual exertion from start to finish.

Will probably report back on this later, as I think the perspective of "person who has never played a game like this and is learning to play a game like this" is probably the right tone to inform most people in this thread on it.[/QUOTE]

That sounds good. I mean I've played some of the more handholdy strategy games like Civ V but I don't think I've ever really gotten into the meat of those traditional style Paradox grand strategy games in spite of owning a ton of them.

If you come across a Crusader Kings II For Dummies guide, or write one, I'd definitely be interested.

I don't get this IPA rage that's popped up over the past 5 or so years. I feel like it's fueled by twenty-something beer snobs trying to one up their friends with who can find the shittiest and most obscure beer and pretend to like it.

"Oh, you're drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? That was ok before they went mainstream. Now it just doesn't taste right. I'm drinking Houndstooth Sixpence 90 Minute IPA. It's only available at this one place 90 miles east of here, on thursdays, at 4:14 AM, and you have to pay in iTunes gift cards."

And before you get all worked up, I'm sure there are people that legitimately like it. I just don't get the craze.

[quote name='Motoki']That sounds good. I mean I've played some of the more handholdy strategy games like Civ V but I don't think I've ever really gotten into the meat of those traditional style Paradox grand strategy games in spite of owning a ton of them.

If you come across a Crusader Kings II For Dummies guide, or write one, I'd definitely be interested.[/QUOTE]

I will never be good enough at CKII to write a guide at it. I can tell that from my 8 hours of playing it.

There are a few excellent video tutorials and let's plays around, though, that do a really nice job of putting you in the right mindset and familiarizing you with the early game.

I've pretty much gone off Tekk's video series (it's the one that's high up in the game's community hub) supplemented with a LOT of googling and dicking around/starting new games. Everybody has an opinion on the right way to do things, though, so it's really just about being comfortable with the basics of play and figuring out the specifics of how YOU want to play the game, which I think is really appealing.

[quote name='Preedatore']I don't get this IPA rage that's popped up over the past 5 or so years. I feel like it's fueled by twenty-something beer snobs trying to one up their friends with who can find the shittiest and most obscure beer and pretend to like it.

"Oh, you're drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? That was ok before they went mainstream. Now it just doesn't taste right. I'm drinking Houndstooth Sixpence 90 Minute IPA. It's only available at this one place 90 miles east of here, on thursdays, at 4:14 AM, and you have to pay in iTunes gift cards."

And before you get all worked up, I'm sure there are people that legitimately like it. I just don't get the craze.[/QUOTE]

I've never been very discerning when it comes to IPAs. Most microbreweries tend to have a standard IPA and they all seem about on par for me. I prefer something thicker like a scotch ale to the hoppier IPA taste, though.

[quote name='Preedatore']I feel like it's fueled by twenty-something beer snobs trying to one up their friends with who can find the shittiest and most obscure beer and pretend to like it.[/QUOTE]

And that same person wears Ray Bans, deck shoes, his little sister's bluejeans, and carries a purse made from recycled vinyl or some other bullshit.

Being an artist means I have to put up with this trendy hipster bullshit all the time.

fuck beer. Give me whiskey and tell me its from Kentucky.

drinking-from-guinness-pint-glasses-2.jpg

I'll stick with this. God damn if there isn't anything better than a cold pint of Guinness from a tap -- particularly when the bartender knows how to pour it correctly.

Anyways, looking forward to when Tomb Raider unlocks. Grabbed it from Amazon with a little credit for $28. Nixxes is handling the port, and they did a pretty great job with DE:HR. Also, as a graphics whore escort, I can't wait to turn on TressFX. Dat hair!

lara_3frame.jpg

tress_before_after1.jpg

Just need to grab Bioshock Infinite now. Might start trawling eBay or something for keys from AMD's promotion.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I'll stick with this. God damn if there isn't anything better than a cold pint of Guinness from a tap -- particularly when the bartender knows how to pour it correctly.[/QUOTE]

Beer syrup. I like it.

It's live and it works. I just scored a A Binomial Nut Shot for $10, Professional Edition to boot.

Worst case it drops to $7.50 by the summer sale, I figure.

[quote name='asheskitty']Okay, fine, here's a steam deal...

Tomorrow (Saturday) GMG will have a popular game on sale for 75% off, $12.50, this title shall be referrred to by it's anagram A Binomial Nut Shot. The 20% off code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS should bring it to it's lowest price ever.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']Hmm that game got to $10 in a little over 3 months. I wonder if Square Eidos will do the same with Tomb Raider.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, I like the way you think. ;)

Probably also depends on how well (or poorly) Tomb Raider sales & reviews go.

And right now, TR 2013 reviews (at least for X360 and PS3) been pretty damn good...

EDIT:
Probably would help drive base game's price down if they release a good deal of DLC, too... ;)

[quote name='cranky2']Beer syrup. I like it.[/QUOTE]

I used to drink (sip?) Guiness in the US back when I couldn't get a decent pilsner beer here (I was in Madison, WI, at the time - couldn't even get a Carslberg).

Now I live in Colorado and can have all sorts of great microbrews, including this one:

new_belgium_blue_paddle_2.jpeg

[quote name='MysterD']Hehe, I like the way you think. ;)

Probably also depends on how well (or poorly) Tomb Raider sales & reviews go.

And right now, TR 2013 reviews (at least for X360 and PS3) been pretty damn good...[/QUOTE]

I also have to wonder how much of an effect the constant stream of game releases factors in. It's easy to ride high longer during a dry spell. Now days, games seem to struggle to get their full 15 minutes of fame.

Remember when films were in the cinemas for months?

I'm also wondering if the latest TR will make me motion-sick the way TRA did. (It's particularly bad in games where you have to swing your camera all over the place, like when decoding the TR platforming puzzles. It never happens in games with constant flow (e.g. racing games). First person is always worse than third person.)

Played one more hour of war of the roses. Now I understand better a lot of things. It's an AWESOME game! I've played Chivalry too, during it's free weekend, but I like WotR more. I like the realism and customization. For most people the realism is a barrier... but for me is a welcoming door. Love it!!!

Chivalry is good too, I'll but it when it reaches the $5...

[quote name='asheskitty']I also have to wonder how much of an effect the constant stream of game releases factors in. It's easy to ride high longer during a dry spell. Now days, games seem to struggle to get their full 15 minutes of fame.

Remember when films were in the cinemas for months?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's all some great points.

I mean, hell - a {sort of} sequel to one of the best reviewed games of all time - and IMHO, one of the best games of all time - is due-out the end of this month.

The hype-train for Bioshock: Infinite is going to be insane.

If anything is going to hurt TR 2013's 15 minutes of fame run, this is the one.

Oh, man...I forgot for those PS3 gamers, God of War: Ascension is out soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back