The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='warreni']That is a really solid price but given Steam's checkered history in this regard, I'm reluctant to buy older games from Gabe and friends (I uusually stick to Gog.com for this sort of game). Anyone with Kain PC experience have issues with these on a modern system?[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. Given the timeline, I would blindly wager the version on Steam is the GOG version. The GOG list price of the set is the same, but GOG almost never hits 75% off. And it's $0.90 less if you're a GG 20%er.

[quote name='warreni']That is a really solid price but given Steam's checkered history in this regard, I'm reluctant to buy older games from Gabe and friends (I uusually stick to Gog.com for this sort of game). Anyone with Kain PC experience have issues with these on a modern system?[/QUOTE]

It is a great price. Makes me wish I didn't purchase that at GoG.

[quote name='Corpekata']The Legacy of Kain titles are the GOG updated versions. If they debuted on Steam (or Gamersgate, or Impulse) after they debuted on GOG, 9 times out of 10 they are GOG versions. It's only the stuff from a few years ago that you have to worry about.

Just in example, pretty much all of Square Enix's recent old game debuts, Thief series, Tomb Raider 1-6, and Legacy of Kain are all the GOG versions.[/QUOTE]

Did not know that; thanks for the tip.

[quote name='Preedatore']I don't know why AC1 gets so much hate.

The combat was a bit more difficult, but only because it was more complex. The game actually played more like an assassin/stealth game compared with the Michael Bay action games that followed.

Killing your target was a thoughtful process. You had to plan well and execute that plan properly to achieve success. After that you were rewarded with interesting/thoughtful dialogue. Following AC1 you are more akin to a homicidal maniac just tearing through the area looking to sate your bloodlust.

The story was actually done correctly as well. In AC1 the memories merely supported the main story of the current assassin/templar struggle(Desmond's time). The following games merely tacked on Desmond portions for continuity sake and made the memories the new focus.

Remember Eagle Vision? Probably not because it now plays almost no role in the game. How long did you spend thoughtfully wondering about all the things you saw in the room at the end of AC1? How long did you spend scratching your head at the end of the other games wondering what's going on?

Sure, it was far from perfect, but I think it gets a bad rap as one of the worst of series. It should be, at worst, right behind AC2 and probably would edge it out in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

For me, the historical period of AC1 has me most interested in the game. Still haven't played it tho. Funny, but AC3 was the only game I've played so far (because I was unemployed and could rent it for a couple of days.) It was ok, but I think there was a lot of superfluous stuff in it. I also shake my head at someone being at so many historically significant events.

[quote name='TheLongshot']For me, the historical period of AC1 has me most interested in the game. Still haven't played it tho. Funny, but AC3 was the only game I've played so far (because I was unemployed and could rent it for a couple of days.) It was ok, but I think there was a lot of superfluous stuff in it. I also shake my head at someone being at so many historically significant events.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with you that the historical period for 1 was more interesting, but if you had trouble swallowing that with 3, just wait until you take a broader perspective and realize how many historically-significant events his entire family tree had a hand in (when Ubi releases the inevitable AC: Mega Kill Pack or whatever, you'll see).

Armada 2526 Gold is offering an 80% loyalty discount for those who bought the previous version. Should be giftable too, at least the Cities XL Platinum was.

[quote name='Corpekata']The Legacy of Kain titles are the GOG updated versions. If they debuted on Steam (or Gamersgate, or Impulse) after they debuted on GOG, 9 times out of 10 they are GOG versions. It's only the stuff from a few years ago that you have to worry about.

Just in example, pretty much all of Square Enix's recent old game debuts, Thief series, Tomb Raider 1-6, and Legacy of Kain are all the GOG versions.[/QUOTE]

Right and if there's any doubt I just check the Steam forums. Believe me if there is some widespread problem with a game running on Windows 7 or 8 or otherwise not running well/at all on modern systems just a quick glance at the forums will make it obvious because there will be a ton of people (and not just one or two) screaming about it.

Also if there's an issue but a simple fix for it, it will usually be posted there.

FWIW, I have LoK Defiance and it works fine on Win 7 and 8.

I jumped in early when they first added these on GG and the first time they went on sale around Christmas. At that point they hadn't accurately updated the descriptions because at first they had only Defiance as Steamworks while it listed the Soul Reaver games as either DRM free or other DRM, can't recall, so I passed on those. Will probably buy them now.

[quote name='asheskitty']Show me an AC3 sale for $10 or less, and we'll talk. ^_~[/QUOTE]

Ac3 actually came with the $229 500GB PS3 I just got from Newegg so I could play Ni No Kuni. I suppose I should actually play it some time so that I too can nitpick an AC game to death, squabble back and forth and never shut the hell up about it. Why should everyone else have all the fun? :p

[quote name='Motoki']TL;DR - MysterD didn't like some aspects of some of the Assassin's Creed games. Thanks for sharing. Now can we talk about something else please?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']Ac3 actually came with the $229 500GB PS3 I just got from Newegg so I could play Ni No Kuni. I suppose I should actually play it some time so that I too can nitpick an AC game to death, squabble back and forth and never shut the hell up about it. Why should everyone else have all the fun? :p[/QUOTE]

if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, eh?

[quote name='warreni']I'll agree with you that the historical period for 1 was more interesting, but if you had trouble swallowing that with 3, just wait until you take a broader perspective and realize how many historically-significant events his entire family tree had a hand in (when Ubi releases the inevitable AC: Mega Kill Pack or whatever, you'll see).[/QUOTE]

I never was a big fan of the "animus" overarching plotline, so I'll probably just ignore it.

[quote name='gotdott']if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, eh?[/QUOTE]

No that's called sarcasm.

I actually don't have any intention of being that annoying (about the AC games anyway :p) and probably realistically won't get around to playing that game any time soon. I'm pondering selling it at this point since it's still sealed in the packaging.

[quote name='Motoki']No that's called sarcasm.

I actually don't have any intention of being that annoying (about the AC games anyway :p) and probably realistically won't get around to playing that game any time soon. I'm pondering selling it at this point since it's still sealed in the packaging.[/QUOTE]

You should, it's already surprising that it hasn't dropped as fast as the previous entries. And you had me there for a second, I thought you were going to actually start squabbling about normal mainstream games like everyone else :lol:

[quote name='Motoki']Right and if there's any doubt
I just check the Steam forums. Believe me if there is some widespread problem with a game running on Windows 7 or 8 or otherwise not running well/at all on modern systems just a quick glance at the forums will make it obvious because there will be a ton of people (and not just one or two) screaming about it.

Also if there's an issue but a simple fix for it, it will usually be posted there.

FWIW, I have LoK Defiance and it works fine on Win 7 and 8.

I jumped in early when they first added these on GG and the first time they went on sale around Christmas. At that point they hadn't accurately updated the descriptions because at first they had only Defiance as Steamworks while it listed the Soul Reaver games as either DRM free or other DRM, can't recall, so I passed on those. Will probably buy them now.[/QUOTE]

Aah that explains it, I was surprised how many CAG-friends had some or all of the LoK titles on steam. The current bundle is 3 steam keys. Did they ever grant you the 20%? If not, I can help.

[quote name='asheskitty']GG has (steam keys) Legacy of Kain Collection (Defiance, Soul Reaver 1&2) for $4.50 (75% off). These have been on GOG for a while, but only got on steam three months ago. AFIK, they've never been cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I thought people would understand the bolded sentence, apparently I was wrong. I thought it was a nice way of saying, as far as I can tell they should be the GOG versions based on the timeline.

[quote name='binici']My purchase of Civ5:G&K's went smooth and I was happy with my $7 of spending for it.[/QUOTE]

If you bought the gold upgrade you could have had G&K plus a bunch of the other DLC for $5 instead of $7 for just G&K. I don't think they had the gold upgrade listed on that sale page, but it was on the actual Civ 5 store page.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Hahaha, I was wondering what the new Daily Deal was; My Steam page still displays Civilization V.[/QUOTE]

Oddly, it showed up on the top right of the FP before it appeared in the News section, then re-checking the FP switched back to Civ 5 -- I guess they really want me to buy the Civ 5 Gold upgrade lol.

[quote name='Preedatore']If you bought the gold upgrade you could have had G&K plus a bunch of the other DLC for $5 instead of $7 for just G&K. I don't think they had the gold upgrade listed on that sale page, but it was on the actual Civ 5 store page.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I was thinking of getting G&K for $7, but decided to wait until it hit $5. For $5 for G&K and all the additional DLC is a great deal! Bought!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']I kind of want Gatling Gears but the 5 activation limit really kills it for me.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, twin-stick shooter, tempting, shame about the activation limit. I was thinking indie bundle, but I realized it's EA. Grr.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Very tempting. Who wants my paypal monies?[/QUOTE]

Paypal hates me. I hate paypal. If you're having a hard time finding someone, PM me later.

[quote name='Motoki']I kind of want Gatling Gears but the 5 activation limit really kills it for me.[/QUOTE]

Gatling Gears; 5 activation limit per 24 hours

I'm not sure I can use up 5 activations in 24 hours, myself.

Personally didn't enjoy this game much. It's not a particularly interesting or fun twin stick shooter. I beat the game on PS3 with a friend, but we were struggling to care by the half way point because the gameplay was so simplified and boring and as a result we took long breaks (talking multiple weeks/months) before finishing.

One of the few interesting elements was the customizable loadouts based upon exploring for hidden currency, but their loadout system is also extremely simple wih only 4 different sectors (Health, Gatling Gun, Missiles, Mortar). Oh, and the game is kind of glitchy... We had to restart whole levels around 6 times due to glitches- by the way the length of this game is only 5 main levels with 4-5 subdivisions per main level. It's hard for me to really recommend Gatling Gears to anyone unless they're desperate for an online multiplayer capable twin stick shooter, let alone when you throw in their DRM.

[quote name='randomdud']Personally didn't enjoy this game much. It's not a particularly interesting or fun twin stick shooter.
I beat the game on PS3 with a friend, but we were struggling to care by the half way point because the gameplay was so simplified and boring and as a result we took long breaks (talking multiple weeks/months) before finishing.

One of the few interesting elements was the customizable loadouts based upon exploring for hidden currency, but their loadout system is also extremely simple wih only 4 different sectors (Health, Gatling Gun, Missiles, Mortar). Oh, and the game is kind of glitchy... We had to restart whole levels around 6 times due to glitches- by the way the length of this game is only 5 main levels with 4-5 subdivisions per main level. It's hard for me to really recommend Gatling Gears to anyone unless they're desperate for an online multiplayer capable twin stick shooter, let alone when you throw in their DRM.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, I can happily wipe thoughts of it from my mind.

[quote name='gilby']Gatling Gears; 5 activation limit per 24 hours

I'm not sure I can use up 5 activations in 24 hours, myself.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but it one of the very few games on Steam that actually requires Origin running!

[quote name='randomdud']Personally didn't enjoy this game much. It's not a particularly interesting or fun twin stick shooter. I beat the game on PS3 with a friend, but we were struggling to care by the half way point because the gameplay was so simplified and boring and as a result we took long breaks (talking multiple weeks/months) before finishing.

One of the few interesting elements was the customizable loadouts based upon exploring for hidden currency, but their loadout system is also extremely simple wih only 4 different sectors (Health, Gatling Gun, Missiles, Mortar). Oh, and the game is kind of glitchy... We had to restart whole levels around 6 times due to glitches- by the way the length of this game is only 5 main levels with 4-5 subdivisions per main level. It's hard for me to really recommend Gatling Gears to anyone unless they're desperate for an online multiplayer capable twin stick shooter, let alone when you throw in their DRM.[/QUOTE]

Basically agree with this. I played the first two levels on 360 with a controller and lost interest very quickly. There's hardly a story, just level after level of bland environments--I can't recall making it out of the forest after two hours or so--with tons of same-type enemies. Combine that with long levels and uneven enemy pacing, and it's pretty boring.

I'd compare this game to Microbot, only GG is worse and more boring. The similarities are that they're both twin-stick shooters with bland environments to navigate through, collectibles to find (I think? I know MB has you collect parts for new weapons and Bucky Balls for currency), and customizable loadouts. The differences are that MB is much more engaging, has the unique concept of being a disease-fighting nanobot, and has tons more loadout combinations with accurately represented physics that help you feel like you're in the environment. Plus, you can befriend white blood cells to aid you. MB > GG

[quote name='gilby']Gatling Gears; 5 activation limit per 24 hours

I'm not sure I can use up 5 activations in 24 hours, myself.[/QUOTE]

Where is the 24 hour part? Not that I'm doubting you but it's not on the Steam page.

Also, I am just wary of any activation limits in general. Things can always go wrong with them and I have had DRM on digital games/music/movies etc not function correctly and block my access in error. Steam DRM I am at least familiar with and know I have had no problems with.

There's also the principle of the matter of why does it need extra DRM with activation limits AND need to login to Origin when it's on Steam and Steam already checks that. How much DRM does a game need?

Anyway, before this turns into some big pro vs anti beating a dead horse DRM internet argument, I've already made up my mind I'm not getting it and that's not going to change.

[quote name='poxi']Activation limit discussion? Activation limit discussion!
http://vimeo.com/60475086[/QUOTE]

Haha that is awesome.

Anyway, I'm a little pissy about DRM right now because the Gundam Unicorn Anime I 'rented' last night for $6 from the Windows 8/Xbox Live Movies app (on the PC) won't let me play it because the DRM is blocking it even though I paid for it. *sigh*

[quote name='Motoki']Haha that is awesome.

Anyway, I'm a little pissy about DRM right now because the Gundam Unicorn Anime I 'rented' last night for $6 from the Windows 8/Xbox Live Movies app (on the PC) won't let me play it because the DRM is blocking it even though I paid for it. *sigh*[/QUOTE]
Speaking of bad DRM, Origin won't let me install Shift 2 Unleashed through its client because of DRM issues. EA's response reformat. :roll:

[quote name='akmgmer']Looks like they changed the Daily Deal? Sins of a Solar Empire is no longer on sale but Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack is.[/QUOTE]

Oh weird! I've never seen them do that, they actually pulled the Sins sale (news item about it being the daily is still up). @ Today's daily, I got the DR complete pack for $10 on the winter sale, so Meh.

[quote name='Motoki']Where is the 24 hour part? Not that I'm doubting you but it's not on the Steam page.[/quote]

It's on the big DRM list. http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php?page=DRM_Lists/The_Big_DRM_List

Also, I am just wary of any activation limits in general. Things can always go wrong with them and I have had DRM on digital games/music/movies etc not function correctly and block my access in error. Steam DRM I am at least familiar with and know I have had no problems with.

There's also the principle of the matter of why does it need extra DRM with activation limits AND need to login to Origin when it's on Steam and Steam already checks that. How much DRM does a game need?

Certainly less than it has. Even given that it's EA and EA wants Origin involved, the activation limits don't seem needed. At least the limits are mostly non-limiting.

I wouldn't skip this one based on the DRM. I will skip it based on the reviews in this thread.

[quote name='asheskitty']Hurrah! Good price on Spectraball. It got a major update in Jan.

Good prices on Syberia and Velvet Assassin too, but I own those. Most of these have been in indie bundles.[/QUOTE]

I had the chance to pick up Spectraball last month and so far I have been really enjoying it. $1.24 is a great deal.

SimCity impressions: We waited ten years for this?
Two Ars editors play mayor for a weekend and find the experience wanting.

[quote name='lotsofgames']I had the chance to pick up Spectraball last month and so far I have been really enjoying it. $1.24 is a great deal.[/QUOTE]

^_^ Cool. I'm looking forward to giving this a spin this week. (spiritual) Descendants of Marble Madness have been few and far between.

Speaking of crappy EA DRM...

[quote name='asheskitty']SimCity impressions: We waited ten years for this?
Two Ars editors play mayor for a weekend and find the experience wanting.
[/QUOTE]

I played it a few weeks ago when they had a beta weekend. It's not bad it's just not wow and the social stuff, hmm I don't know that it's really needed.

I'm in the maybe if it goes cheap camp.

[quote name='Motoki']I played it a few weeks ago when they had a beta weekend. It's not bad it's just not wow and the social stuff, hmm I don't know that it's really needed.

I'm in the maybe if it goes cheap camp.[/QUOTE]

^_^ Nod. Although, honestly, the last SimCity I spent much time with was the original. If anything that articles points toward a buggy unbalanced release. I really have to strongly agree with one structural point: Without being able to reload from an earlier save point it's hard to experiment (or just throw Godzilla at your city, for kicks). That one issue is quite close to my heart. It's why I feel freer in single player games, where I can act without being overly cautious and reload from a earlier point if things go south.

I'm surprised with the blind faith some CAGs have put into their SimCity pre-orders. (Especially since it's been a decade since SimCity 4, so it's functionally a reboot.)

Oh, random AssCred Rev complaint: The credits go on forever and are unskippable.

[quote name='Preedatore']I don't know why AC1 gets so much hate.[/quote]

It's all about the gameplay - which is severely lacking in AC1.
I'll get to the explanation...

The combat was a bit more difficult, but only because it was more complex. The game actually played more like an assassin/stealth game compared with the Michael Bay action games that followed.

B/c the side missions were repetitive; side missions lacked variety; and the NPC character models and their voice-acting were often cut-and-paste; and gameplay variety was lacking.

And you were FORCED to do these repetitive side-missions before you could even embark on main quest missions - something AC2 fixed!

Killing your target was a thoughtful process. You had to plan well and execute that plan properly to achieve success. After that you were rewarded with interesting/thoughtful dialogue.
Main missions were excellent....
...but, the last 1/3rd of AC1 turns into an action-fest and becomes a different game entirely.

Following AC1 you are more akin to a homicidal maniac just tearing through the area looking to sate your bloodlust.
AC2 gave the player more variety w/ a lot more missions types.

The story was actually done correctly as well. In AC1 the memories merely supported the main story of the current assassin/templar struggle(Desmond's time). The following games merely tacked on Desmond portions for continuity sake and made the memories the new focus.
AC1's story was pretty good....
...until the cliffhanger. Usually, I'm not fond of the AC cliffhangers.
ACB had one of the more jaw-dropping ones.

Sure, it was far from perfect, but I think it gets a bad rap as one of the worst of series. It should be, at worst, right behind AC2 and probably would edge it out in my opinion.
Everybody's got different opinions - but I think AC1 was very disappointing and an very overhyped.

[quote name='Motoki']So how does everyone really feel about Assassins Creed?[/QUOTE]

We should make a thread in the PC forums and call it "Assassin's Creed Discussions".

[quote name='Motoki']So how does everyone really feel about Assassins Creed?[/QUOTE]

As a series it is very repetitive, which is why there is intense debate over the small game-to-game differences. Of course everyone else's views are null and void because they never mentions the Laura Croft-ish Templar Lair platforming segments in AC2 & ACB that are totally missing in ACR. Heck part of th ACB DLC was more templar lairs.

037+-+nerd+rage.jpg

I haven't played AC enough to have an opinion of it. Like what I played of the first game and probably own all or most but have not played them. Curse of the backlog. Almost done with Bad Rats though :)

[quote name='asheskitty']Show me an AC3 sale for $10 or less, and we'll talk. ^_~[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds good to me! :D
Would be even better if it AC3 was $10 and included the Season Pass. ;)

Though, I'm not really interested in playing an AC game for a bit, since I just got through ACR...
I need a different type of game right now; a little bit of a change of pace.

[quote name='MysterD']Yeah, that sounds good to me! :D

Though, I'm not really interested in playing an AC game for a bit, since I just got through ACR...
I need a different type of game right now; a little bit of a change of pace.[/QUOTE]

Bad Rats?

I heard there's an Alpaca rape game, but not really interested in Alpacas.

[quote name='MysterD']Yeah, that sounds good to me! :D

I need a different type of game right now; a little bit of a change of pace.[/QUOTE]

^_^ Naturally I mean complete version. I couldn't see myself spending money separately on AC3 DLC. (Especially considering my total letdown with ACR DLC (Lost Archives, cough, cough)).

This is exactly when I mean, repetitive. I spend ~40 hours on AC2, ACB, & ACR, each. After finishing one, you really need a break and to play something different. I spaced out AC2 & ACB by a year and that felt right. I spaced out ACB & ACR by 6 months and that was about the minimum spacing I would do. I'm almost 6 months from ACR, so I can play AC1 and write off AC3 until the complete version goes on sale in the Fall.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Bad Rats?

I heard there's an Alpaca rape game, but not really interested in Alpacas.[/QUOTE]

Nope, none of those.
I haven't decided what's next for me to play yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back