The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='annihilator']Man, was anybody actually offended by that, or was that just politicians and the media trying to stir up controversy? I don't know anyone who's ever expressed outrage over the sexual content of videogames more than their violence, but then I tend to live in blue states.[/QUOTE]

Hm. I don't know that many people were offended but Kitty's point, which I think is quite accurate, is that Americans are far more afraid of sex than violence. I'm not sure why this is or why it is especially the case when it comes to video games. Maybe because we're still pretending that this is a kids-only (or kids-mostly) hobby. It's tough to find a game out there that deals with sexuality in a truly mature way but at least some of the developers are trying. Some of the same people who are mortified about warm caffeinated beverages have no real concerns about their kids seeing R-rated movies; some other ones are just deathly afraid of any form of cultural entertainment that is seen as immoral or corrupt. I wish these people had less influence in our society.

[quote name='annihilator']Yeah, I haven't played any of the Saints games but I like their attitude. Was thinking of maybe picking up 2 on the cheap sometime, and if I like it, trying out 3 later. 4 sounds like it'll be a hoot.[/QUOTE]

I still have SR3 in my backlog (prioritizing Sleeping Dogs over that one), but Saints Row 2 is tremendous fun. Your gang is ridiculously customizable and the story is really interesting and the missions are fun (especially the Septic Avenger side missions).

[quote name='asheskitty']Well, it is a little more expensive to fix... still kind of a shame for an AE86. That said even if you have a newer one (FWD) you can still do donuts (in reverse) (and with skids under your rear wheels), kinda pointless though. I drive only a little safer IRL, which is why my friends won't be passengers on mountain roads.[/QUOTE]

I probably don't even know enough about cars IRL to get what you get out of these games. :) Your driving sounds like my wife's.

[quote name='warreni']Hm. I don't know that many people were offended but Kitty's point, which I think is quite accurate, is that Americans are far more afraid of sex than violence. I'm not sure why this is or why it is especially the case when it comes to video games. Maybe because we're still pretending that this is a kids-only (or kids-mostly) hobby. It's tough to find a game out there that deals with sexuality in a truly mature way but at least some of the developers are trying. Some of the same people who are mortified about warm caffeinated beverages have no real concerns about their kids seeing R-rated movies; some other ones are just deathly afraid of any form of cultural entertainment that is seen as immoral or corrupt. I wish these people had less influence in our society.[/QUOTE]

I am offended by the sex in Game of Thrones, currently my favorite tv show. I am offended by the fact that I can't watch it with my parents because the attitude toward sex is so goddamned juvenile. Ooh, titties! Like I can't see those on the internet whenever I want! Show me something where the sex is actually sexy, and where the pillow talk doesn't make me laugh out loud. It is true that we definitely have a long way to go as a culture in this regard. And, unfortunately, some of my favorite games, such as Witcher and Sleeping Dogs, make rather large missteps in this area as well.

[quote name='warreni']I still have SR3 in my backlog (prioritizing Sleeping Dogs over that one), but Saints Row 2 is tremendous fun. Your gang is ridiculously customizable and the story is really interesting and the missions are fun (especially the Septic Avenger side missions).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll pick it up first chance I get!

I don't really think I can go back to GTA games after Saints row the third. They just feel meh by comparison. The only ones are still fun just for nostalgia but I can't stand IV now. If V follows the same route as IV it will be a game I skip.

Also Mount and Blade games are great. You only need Warband, the regular mount and blade is only nessecary if their are mods for it you are wanting to play. Fire and Sword decent despite some of the hate it got at release, can't comment on the MP dlc.

I think GTA IV is a game you really have to get invested into, such as a good TV show. It's one of my favorite games from this gen and I definitely like GTA in general alot more than SR for the most part.

Sleeping Dogs driving and gameplay outdoes GTA by a mile tho lol.

[quote name='Terlan']I don't really think I can go back to GTA games after Saints row the third. They just feel meh by comparison. The only ones are still fun just for nostalgia but I can't stand IV now. If V follows the same route as IV it will be a game I skip.[/QUOTE]

My problem with the GTA series is that I always find one story mission (it never fails--I've tried playing III, VC, SA, and IV) that I cannot beat and end up getting stuck, getting aggravated, and uninstalling. I had to redo a few story missions in SR2--notably a few of the boss fights and vehicle-based missions--but never to a degree that I had to abandon the game. I really loved everything about Vice City (having grown up in the '80s), but I tried playing it twice with years between my attempts and still got stuck on that infernal RC helicopter mission!

[quote name='Terlan'] Fire and Sword decent despite some of the hate it got at release, can't comment on the MP dlc.[/QUOTE] Every time I see the M&B games on sale, WFAS calls faintly to me, but then I just think, "Eh, it'll be the same price during the next major Steam sale" and ignore it again.

[quote name='warreni']My problem with the GTA series is that I always find one story mission (it never fails--I've tried playing III, VC, SA, and IV) that I cannot beat and end up getting stuck, getting aggravated, and uninstalling.
[/QUOTE]

Was it the bank heist in IV?

It was the bank heist for me for awhile.

[quote name='warreni']My problem with the GTA series is that I always find one story mission (it never fails--I've tried playing III, VC, SA, and IV) that I cannot beat and end up getting stuck, getting aggravated, and uninstalling.[/QUOTE]

I never saw that with the way I played, but I could see it if I was just trying to play with controller or just trying to play with mouse/keyboard. Some missions are doable with one type of controller while unfairly hard with the other.

tbh, ive never beaten a gta game. I beat only the first island of gta3. i did that 3 separate times, thinking i was finally gonna complete the whole game. never happened. i think i got obsessed with collecting all the hidden packages, and at some point i lost track of which ones i already got. so that killed it for me.
i skipped vice city and enjoyed san andreas a lot. but i screwed up my experience because i started cheating. i played the 2 gta games for psp, but quit both early because of some terrible boat mission. gta chinatown wars controlled terribly on psp for me. it just felt so awkward.

saints row 3 and sleeping dogs were so damn addicting. i didnt even have a choice. I HAD to beat those games after i started them. hell, Scarface was pretty damn addicting too. too bad its not on steam. id like to give that a replay.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Was it the bank heist in IV?

It was the bank heist for me for awhile.[/QUOTE]

I don't know--IIRC, it was a mission where you had to fly an actual helicopter (ironically enough) somewhere and the controls were a giant PITA.

[quote name='gilby']I never saw that with the way I played, but I could see it if I was just trying to play with controller or just trying to play with mouse/keyboard. Some missions are doable with one type of controller while unfairly hard with the other.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I play almost everything with KB+M. I have rarely (maybe never) used both in the same game but I do occasionally use my Logitech Rumblepad in certain games where it "feels" better: off the top of my head, I'm using it with TDU2 and I used it when playing Demon Stone (look it up, kids). I'd probably use a controller more if I weren't too cheap/poor (take your pick) to spring for a proper XBOX controller for my computer. Most games that are compatible with controllers have instructions for the XBOX coded into the software, so it's a pain to use a third-party device with them.

that level where I jump from the bike to the chopper. I could not climb into that thing for the life of me. Eventually, I think I made it there with the controller, then spammed the space bar as fast as I could, and made it. But I was pretty close to quitting and uninstalling by that point.

On the idea of GTA4 in general, I had the game for my 360 for a couple years, where I started it, but I just couldn't get into the story. Then when I played it several months ago, it was the only game I played until I beat it. I'm guessing it was expactations of a GTA game, and how 4 seems to be pretty slow to start, but once I got to Packie and such, the game got much better.

Also, it ran for me on the first time. Albeit, I didn't play at release. I only first played GTA 4 on my pc last October, with whatever patches and updates that have been made since 2008.

Also, Ironman mod. I'm going to install that now.

[quote name='warreni']I had to redo a few story missions in SR2--notably a few of the boss fights and vehicle-based missions--but never to a degree that I had to abandon the game.[/QUOTE]

The Asian boss in SR2 almost made me rage quit, until my GF looked it up and told me about the fire exploit.

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I noticed Penumbra Overture is 75%. Does anyone know if it'll run on a intel 945GMA? I'm running linux btw. Thanks for any insight, I'd hate to buy another game that doesn't work on my crappy laptop:cry:

One of the earlier races Bruce has you do in GTA4 was hard as hell for me. Only because I was playing on xbox though. Think I failed and had to repeat it 20-25 times. Beat it first try on PC using KB/M.

Anybody know how well the M&B games run on lesser hardware? My desktop is back in the US and I've only got a laptop with a 6520g integrated graphics card.

[quote name='warreni']
Every time I see the M&B games on sale, WFAS calls faintly to me, but then I just think, "Eh, it'll be the same price during the next major Steam sale" and ignore it again.[/QUOTE]
With Fire and Sword is good and worth playing. But it does have a few issues to me. I ultimately prefer Warband but I do like WFAS. The guns are nice and feel like they have the right level of accuracy (which is far from any). The game is also more focused than warband as I believe it has story lines to play through (though I've never gone to deep into any). Ultimately if you liked Warband a lot you can probably get $2.50 worth of enjoyment out of WFAS.

[quote name='elessar123']The Asian boss in SR2 almost made me rage quit, until my GF looked it up and told me about the fire exploit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the whole "fight with honor" bullshit. There's a reason I carry an assault rifle with grenade launcher.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']One of the earlier races Bruce has you do in GTA4 was hard as hell for me. Only because I was playing on xbox though. Think I failed and had to repeat it 20-25 times. Beat it first try on PC using KB/M.

Anybody know how well the M&B games run on lesser hardware? My desktop is back in the US and I've only got a laptop with a 6520g integrated graphics card.[/QUOTE]
Can't comment on that but Warband does have a demo.

Three Leaf Clover was a tough mission but probably one of the best ones I've played in a GTA game.

I beat GTA 1, 2, 3, VC, and IV. After SA came out I didn't own a ps2 so I never played it more than a few hours at a friend's house from time to time. Eventually, I would like to go back and play the game. However, a friend of mine said that he had to rage quit several times trying to get his pilot's license.

All GTA games have their share of tough levels. I recall a friend of mine snapped his dualshock 2 in half because he was so pissed at the final mission in Vice City (think end of the movie "Scarface" but with horrible targeting). After that we bought a new one and went back home. He played it one time through and beat the mission no problem at all. :lol:

There was some driving ones in 3 and VC that pissed me off several times due to almost finishing them and then a car pulls out or goes across the road and I crash.

All of the stories have interested me and that is why I put up with a frustrating mission from time to time.

The first Saints Row game never grabbed me. I have yet to finish the second one but I felt it was fun. Definitely, can't wait to play the third game.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']One of the earlier races Bruce has you do in GTA4 was hard as hell for me. Only because I was playing on xbox though. Think I failed and had to repeat it 20-25 times. Beat it first try on PC using KB/M.

Anybody know how well the M&B games run on lesser hardware? My desktop is back in the US and I've only got a laptop with a 6520g integrated graphics card.[/QUOTE]

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
All GTA games have their share of tough levels. I recall a friend of mine snapped his dualshock 2 in half because he was so pissed at the final mission in Vice City (think end of the movie "Scarface" but with horrible targeting).[/quote]

That would be an example of what I was talking about. Any mission where shooting accuracy is important tends to be much, much easier with a keyboard and mouse.

There was some driving ones in 3 and VC that pissed me off several times due to almost finishing them and then a car pulls out or goes across the road and I crash.

This, too. Racing missions are much, much easier with a controller with analogue steering and throttle.

[quote name='warreni']
Every time I see the M&B games on sale, WFAS calls faintly to me, but then I just think, "Eh, it'll be the same price during the next major Steam sale" and ignore it again.[/QUOTE]

Same. Although I might just go for it this time. Only way I can see it being cheaper is in a future indie gala since Paradox games are showing up in those with greater frequency. That said I think they're more apt to put Vanilla M&B in one to get people to try it and buy the other ones.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I noticed Penumbra Overture is 75%. Does anyone know if it'll run on a intel 945GMA? I'm running linux btw. Thanks for any insight, I'd hate to buy another game that doesn't work on my crappy laptop:cry:[/QUOTE]

I suggest trying the demo that's available here to see if it runs on your laptop. http://www.penumbragame.com/demo.php

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Three Leaf Clover was a tough mission but probably one of the best ones I've played in a GTA game.
[/QUOTE]

As much trouble as I had with it back a few years ago when I played through the game I did enjoy that mission. I think I mostly was frustrated by the combination of the difficulty with the very lengthy drive from the Irish family's place to the bank that you had to do every time you started up the mission.

If it had checkpointed at the start of robbing the bank I think I would have thought the mission was fantastic, rather than neat but a bit too difficult.

[quote name='elessar123']I tried to play GTAIV after SR3. I turned that shit off after 15 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I am so glad that GTA4 and SR series have went in such DIFFERENT directions.

GTA has been trying to get more realistic and grounded in recent years...
....while SR has gotten more insane, wild, crazy, over-the-top and ridiculous.

I love both series.

[quote name='MysterD']I am so glad that GTA4 and SR series have went in such DIFFERENT directions.

GTA has been trying to get more realistic and grounded in recent years...
....while SR has gotten more insane, wild, crazy, over-the-top and ridiculous.

I love both series.[/QUOTE]

I think I agree.

I need to play the SR games, though.

I played through and beat 1, 2, 3, Liberty City Stories, Vice City, Vice City Stories, San Andreas, and IV, along with the 2 HUGE DLCs for IV. The only ones I haven't played at all are GTA Advance, London 1961, and London 1969. I played Chinatown Wars a little on PSP but only a few missions.
Music-wise and story-wise my favorite was Vice City.
Gameplay wise I probably liked IV's expansions the most(The Lost and Damned + Ballad of Gay Tony)

I played all 3 of the Saints Row titles. I'm glad they took a crazier method to the GTA series. Both series are great in their own regard.

That being said I'm excited for GTA V, but not Saints Row IV. Why? GTA V looks brand new, but Saints Row IV looks exactly like Saints Row The Third. Not just graphics, but literally EVERYTHING.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Captain

Oh, I absolutely loved Vice City. That's my favorite GTA.
So, yeah - I'm really looking GTA4: Vice City RAGE Mod, whenever that gets finished.

Oh yeah - I really liked Ballad of Gay Tony DLC.
You know, I never played Lost and Damned, even though I do have GTA4 + EFLC (over Steam).

Yeah, I'm highly anticipating GTA5 - hope it hits PC this year.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']That being said I'm excited for GTA V, but not Saints Row IV. Why? GTA V looks brand new, but Saints Row IV looks exactly like Saints Row The Third. Not just graphics, but literally EVERYTHING.[/QUOTE]

I am totally 100% ok with this. As long as we get some more superb missions like deckers.die, I will have no issue buying the complete version for $10 in a year's time.

A thought occurs though, now that Deep Silver is publisher, I don't think we're going to be seeing as ridiculously good sales on SR4 as we did on SR3.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']
A thought occurs though, now that Deep Silver is publisher, I don't think we're going to be seeing as ridiculously good sales on SR4 as we did on SR3.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we will ever see THQ levels of sales from a major publisher again, unless something THQ level happens to them financially.

Deep Silver has alright sales, though, if you ignore Risen 2.

They didn't keep the value of Dead Island up for any egregious amount of time.

I got my fill of GTA from III. Played Vice City several hours, well past the RC 'copter mission, but just grew tired of it and sick of listening to Vercetti complain.

Looking forward to SR2 and SRtT, both in the backlog.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Deep Silver has alright sales, though, if you ignore Risen 2.

They didn't keep the value of Dead Island up for any egregious amount of time.[/QUOTE]
Has Dead Island GotY had a 75% off sale yet?

And now for the first time in my experience on SteamGifts I have won the same gift twice in the span of a few minutes. And both of them are from Argentina. And both seem to have little-to-no grasp on the English language. Oh boy.

Just contacted the second giveaway creator and told him to re-roll. Contacted support too in case the creator can't grasp that concept. And even more wonderful is that even though I made a mistake on the site and was punished for it, one that I completely accept as my fault and have apologized for, the support staff still apparently hate me and use any chance they get to act like dicks to me. I'm sure they'll have a field day with this. :wall:

[quote name='Captain Urahara']And now for the first time in my experience on SteamGifts I have won the same gift twice in the span of a few minutes. And both of them are from Argentina. And both seem to have little-to-no grasp on the English language. Oh boy.

Just contacted the second giveaway creator and told him to re-roll. Contacted support too in case the creator can't grasp that concept. And even more wonderful is that even though I made a mistake on the site and was punished for it, one that I completely accept as my fault and have apologized for, the support staff still apparently hate me and use any chance they get to act like dicks to me. I'm sure they'll have a field day with this. :wall:[/QUOTE]

Outside of sincere thank yous, interaction on that site is scary and should be avoided. Too bad you had no choice.

Also, how hard would it be to make the site remove all remaining open entries for an item that you win?

[quote name='louiedog']Outside of sincere thank yous, interaction on that site is scary and should be avoided. Too bad you had no choice.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth. I love how so many people in the forums get mad that people only post generic "thank you"s as comments and don't participate in the forums themselves. Practically every thread I see on the forums is a bunch of asshats ganging up on some poor user and laughing about it. They basically scare off anyone willing to participate, then they whine about not having more people :roll:

Choice is to avoid Steam gifts!

[quote name='Detruire']Has Dead Island GotY had a 75% off sale yet?[/QUOTE]

I don't know the exact percentages but it's been $6ish two or three times during the last major sales.

[quote name='Mooby']Choice is to avoid Steam gifts![/QUOTE]

But where else will I win 15 games? I mean sure 2 were fake and 1 win was from the 25K faerie solitare that had a 100% win chance.

Also does anyone know if there is a way to get this site to not hate closing spoilers in Chrome?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I am totally 100% ok with this. As long as we get some more superb missions like deckers.die, I will have no issue buying the complete version for $10 in a year's time.

A thought occurs though, now that Deep Silver is publisher, I don't think we're going to be seeing as ridiculously good sales on SR4 as we did on SR3.[/QUOTE]
I got Dead Island for like $30 at launch I think or something similar at Green Man Gaming. Oh boy I still remember Day 1 of Dead Island. :lol:

So wow, I never expected to love Bioshock Infinite as much as I do. It's easily one of my top 5 FPS games this gen (Serious Sam 3, Half Life 2, Deus Ex: HR, Borderlands/2 are my other favorites).

[quote name='Kaltic']But where else will I win 15 games? I mean sure 2 were fake and 1 win was from the 25K faerie solitare that had a 100% win chance.

Also does anyone know if there is a way to get this site to not hate closing spoilers in Chrome?[/QUOTE]

wait, we're supposed to be able to close spoilers?! :drool:
chrome4lyfe

[quote name='Mooby']Choice is to avoid Steam gifts!

I don't know the exact percentages but it's been $6ish two or three times during the last major sales.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, it's easier just to buy the games you want when they're on sale.

[quote name='Mooby']I don't know the exact percentages but it's been $6ish two or three times during the last major sales.[/QUOTE]
$5 would be 75% off, and we all know that it's not an alright sale unless it's at least 75% off. ;)

[quote name='sunasun']Exactly, it's easier just to buy the games you want when they're on sale.[/QUOTE]

Because it just takes way too much time to enter those giveaways. What if you win a game before it is on sale or even released? Because of Draekon I won a pre-order of Dark Souls.

Really though I would say Steamgifts is for those games you kind of want, but don't want to buy. Examples include Duke Nukem Forever I really wanted to play Duke Nukem, which let's all be honest should have stayed as For-Never, but knew it was so bad that I was unwilling to spend money on it.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I have actually been getting control over not buying games and working through my backlog, which like most of us is massive. Because of that I pass on sales all the time and with Steamgifts I can, rarely, win games without spending money and without really expanding my backlog by much.

Steam Gifts could be really nice, mostly if you're in some group, that's how you can get the most of it, fair giveaways and nice people.

[quote name='JakeNome']wait, we're supposed to be able to close spoilers?! :drool:
chrome4lyfe
[/QUOTE]

I honestly had no idea that this could be done in other browsers. But then, what need do you have for closing a spoiler once opened? I usually refresh the page when I get to the end anyway which has the same effect.

Chrome is the best, though. Like enjoying a nice, cold pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back