The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I don't recall a binding contract[/QUOTE]

If you post something in a public forum in the manner of "if somebody does x, I will do y" and somebody does x, you now have a contract. I'm sure there's some other minor details to get bogged down in, but we'll bypass that and just get this deal done. We want Conan.

[quote name='Preedatore']If you post something in a public forum in the manner of "if somebody does x, I will do y" and somebody does x, you now have a contract. I'm sure there's some other minor details to get bogged down in, but we'll bypass that and just get this deal done. We want Conan.[/QUOTE]

If you'll notice, The post even has his (forum) signature on it.

Glad I was checking this at the airport and was able to log in on my phone and buy Forge 4 Pack with my coupon. I'm sure they will be fixing that soon and you can't beat $3.75 for a 4 pack.

[quote name='louiedog']Steam has introduced subscriptions for games which just means their payment system now does autobilling. It looks like Darkfall Unholy Wars is the first MMO to take advantage.[/QUOTE]

'bout time! I always thought it was strange they sold MMOs but didn't handle the billing directly. I wonder how exactly you manage your subscription...

So.. I know that the new bandwidth limiter option for the new Steam beta update has been mentioned before.. but did anyone mention how much it sucks? They don't let you choose a custom number, you have to select from predefined options. My max is 25 Mbps, so my preference (from the options they give you) is to set it at 20 Mbps, the next step up from that is 50 Mbps lol. Even the GOG downloader lets you set a custom limit, not sure why Steam can't.. unless there's something I'm missing?

[quote name='spoderman']So.. I know that the new bandwidth limiter option for the new Steam beta update has been mentioned before.. but did anyone mention how much it sucks?[/QUOTE]

Well, it *is* a beta after all.

[quote name='spoderman']So.. I know that the new bandwidth limiter option for the new Steam beta update has been mentioned before.. but did anyone mention how much it sucks? They don't let you choose a custom number, you have to select from predefined options. My max is 25 Mbps, so my preference (from the options they give you) is to set it at 20 Mbps, the next step up from that is 50 Mbps lol. Even the GOG downloader lets you set a custom limit, not sure why Steam can't.. unless there's something I'm missing?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried it myself. I've never had an issue with Steam downloads, maybe the Tomato firmware on my router is to be credited for that. The screenshot that I saw was of the open dropdown list of speeds and I assumed the custom option was just not visible. That seems like a major oversight. Hopefully it matures before wide release.

[quote name='louiedog']I haven't tried it myself. I've never had an issue with Steam downloads, maybe the Tomato firmware on my router is to be credited for that. The screenshot that I saw was of the open dropdown list of speeds and I assumed the custom option was just not visible. That seems like a major oversight. Hopefully it matures before wide release.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if the predefined options were in MBps instead of Mbps. The range for Mbps is a lot less specific.

[quote name='louiedog']Steam has introduced subscriptions for games which just means their payment system now does autobilling. It looks like Darkfall Unholy Wars is the first MMO to take advantage.[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to tell them April Fools is over. $40 to buy PLUS a $15 a month subscription? Haha good joke guys, now what's the real price? :p

Seriously though, this is why I feel Greenlight should make devs at least put a vague ballpark estimate on price. They can cover their ass with disclaimers and subject to negotiations yadda yadda but I would at least like to know what they are thinking in terms of pricing before I say yay or nay.

[quote name='Motoki']Seriously though, this is why I feel Greenlight should make devs at least put a vague ballpark estimate on price. They can cover their ass with disclaimers and subject to negotiations yadda yadda but I would at least like to know what they are thinking in terms of pricing before I say yay or nay.[/QUOTE]

Yes, please! There are so many games that I think would be fine with a price of $5l/$1.25s (in the same ballpark as games already on Steam at that price point), but wouldn't even consider at $10l/$2.50s.

[quote name='Motoki']

Seriously though, this is why I feel Greenlight should make devs at least put a vague ballpark estimate on price. They can cover their ass with disclaimers and subject to negotiations yadda yadda but I would at least like to know what they are thinking in terms of pricing before I say yay or nay.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Nearly every game that has come out of greenlight has been more expensive than I anticipated.

Rockstar Games Weekend
Rockstar Hits Collection 67% off ($29.99) - Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3
Daily - L.A. Noire - 75% off ($4.99 base, $7.49 complete, $2.99 DLC bundle)
Everything else is 50% off

Weekend Deals

Defense Grid: The Awakening 75% off ($2.49 base or $4.99 complete)
Containment and You Monster DLCs are $1.24 each. No other DLC is on sale.

Brütal Legend 50% off ($9.99)
w/ soundtrack $12.49

Today's deal is Amnesia: The Dark Descent at 75% off ($4.99)

[quote name='louiedog']Rockstar Games Weekend
Rockstar Hits Collection 67% off ($29.99) - Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3
Daily - L.A. Noire - 75% off ($4.99 base, $7.49 complete, $2.99 DLC bundle)
Everything else is 50% off

Weekend Deals

Defense Grid: The Awakening 75% off ($2.49 base or $4.99 complete)
Containment and You Monster DLCs are $1.24 each. No other DLC is on sale.

Brütal Legend 50% off ($9.99)
w/ soundtrack $12.49

Today's deal is Amnesia: The Dark Descent at 75% off ($4.99)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info louiedog.
Whoever wants to buy Manhunt and run it on a Windows Vista/7/8 OS there's a patch for that here.
Greetings :cool:

LA Noire is tempting, I own it on X360 but never got around to it. Now PC gaming is all I can do with my current setup / life situation. But damn that is a metric ton of DRM and supposedly another shitty R* port...

Opinions?

[quote name='soulkyo']Thanks for the info louiedog.
Whoever wants to buy Manhunt and run it on a Windows Vista/7/8 OS there's a patch for that here.
Greetings :cool:[/QUOTE]

I love Manhunt. Good game.

Might pick up the Containment DLC for DG. That's the one that came free if you did the kickstarter right?

Keep in mind, it's a weekend deal. Usually each franchise will have a 75% off day. So if you're thinking of buying something that's 50% off, wait till tomorrow and see what it brings.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']That's the one that came free if you did the kickstarter right?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you're right.

I know this isn't a Steam deal but it gets a lot of views so posting it here. Desura currently has WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship for free. Not sure how long the deal lasts for and some people were having issues getting it to work so YMMV.

Edit: Sorry posted this too early. I just saw it installed and posted it. Missed the activate key thing.

[quote name='Daykain']I know this isn't a Steam deal but it gets a lot of views so posting it here. Desura currently has WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship for free. Not sure how long the deal lasts for and some people were having issues getting it to work so YMMV.[/QUOTE]

It's not showing up as free for me.

[quote name='Daykain']I know this isn't a Steam deal but it gets a lot of views so posting it here. Desura currently has WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship for free. Not sure how long the deal lasts for and some people were having issues getting it to work so YMMV.[/QUOTE]

It's not free for me. Here's a link to the desura page for the game. http://www.desura.com/games/wrc-3

Anybody else seeing it as free?

[quote name='soulkyo']Free for me.[/QUOTE]

I think it may be (have been?) "free" to download but you'll still need to buy a key to activate. Did you also get a key for free?

Check your CD key page to see if it gives you a key. Wondering if it's a region based thing, would explain why it's not showing up as free for me.

[quote name='spoderman']Check your CD key page to see if it gives you a key. Wondering if it's a region based thing, would explain why it's not showing up as free for me.[/QUOTE]

That's weird, it was like that a day or so ago that I saw on reddit but didnt show up for me

Speaking of Defense Grid (which is great and you should get it if you don't already have it by now), their Kickstarter campaign (which was titled DG 2 but got money only for an expansion DLC) announced that they have found a company that will fund the sequel, so anyone who backed their Kickstarter campaign will get a copy of Defense Grid 2 sometime in the first semester of 2014. New features include multiplayer and user created levels.

[quote name='spoderman']Check your CD key page to see if it gives you a key. Wondering if it's a region based thing, would explain why it's not showing up as free for me.[/QUOTE]

No cd key for me. It seems that the installation is free, playing the game isn't :lol:

[quote name='soulkyo']No cd key for me. It seems that the installation is free, playing the game isn't :lol:[/QUOTE]

That's great!

I tend to install games and never get around to playing them, so this deal is right up my alley. :)

[quote name='Eldredpe']That's great!

I tend to install games and never get around to playing them, so this deal is right up my alley. :)[/QUOTE]

Except that, being on Desura, it doesn't boost your Steam game count. ;)

[quote name='Detruire']Except that, being on Desura, it doesn't boost your Steam game count. ;)[/QUOTE]

What if it gets Greenlit?

Can I get a guarantee that I'll be given to opportunity to install it on Steam then and not get to play it from there?

That would be ideal.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Damn it... Steam wallet is finally empty.

I do have 1k of Gamestop giftcards lying around and they sell Steam wallet golds.

*Decisions*[/QUOTE]

I ask this seriously:

How do you find yourself in these positions?

[quote name='Eldredpe']It's so comforting I hadn't even noticed.[/QUOTE]

This!

[quote name='MysterD']Ain't that the truth![/QUOTE]

[quote name='louiedog']I haven't tried it myself. I've never had an issue with Steam downloads, maybe the Tomato firmware on my router is to be credited for that. The screenshot that I saw was of the open dropdown list of speeds and I assumed the custom option was just not visible. That seems like a major oversight. Hopefully it matures before wide release.[/QUOTE]

I've been a longtime fan of tomato, but the QOS helps unclog upload BW, it can't do much for download BW.

Steam chokes my 6 Mbit DSL even with Tomato on my venerable WRT54G.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Yup.

Nearly every game that has come out of greenlight has been more expensive than I anticipated.[/QUOTE]

I feel it's because they feel that they are the chosen few and let it go to the pricetag. I think the notion of high initial pricing then later price drops that works for AAA (or AA, or even EA games ^_~) doesn't work as well for indies due to the everpresent flood of new indie games -- if you're good and lucky enough to get your 15 minutes of fame, don't squander it.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']75% or bust![/QUOTE]

This! You've waited years for Brutal Legend on PC, what's another 10 weeks till the summer sale for a 75%. Imo, the 50% discount is a special place reserved for recent games you want to play *now* and old games that never go on sale, like Jade Empire.

[quote name='Daykain']I know this isn't a Steam deal but it gets a lot of views so posting it here. Desura currently has WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship for free. Not sure how long the deal lasts for and some people were having issues getting it to work so YMMV.

Edit: Sorry posted this too early. I just saw it installed and posted it. Missed the activate key thing.[/QUOTE]

You got my heart racing! Damn you! Well, it was well intentioned. =)

Do you guys think DA: O Ultimate Edition will see a base price cut from 29.99? I would love to get it at 75% off but it's just going to go into the backlog until I finish KoA: R...

[quote name='AVacuousSmile']Do you guys think DA: O Ultimate Edition will see a base price cut from 29.99? I would love to get it at 75% off but it's just going to go into the backlog until I finish KoA: R...[/QUOTE]

Probably not any time soon, as it's technically a "bundle" of two EA games that are $19.99 a piece. And EA doesn't often let their games drop below $19.99 for a base price.

There might very well end up being some crazy promotions on it closer to the launch of DA3, though, and Amazon has had Ultimate + DA2 for $10, though you'd have to play that on Origin.

[quote name='AVacuousSmile']Do you guys think DA: O Ultimate Edition will see a base price cut from 29.99? I would love to get it at 75% off but it's just going to go into the backlog until I finish KoA: R...[/QUOTE]

*Everything* is cheaper in the future.

[quote name='Eldredpe']What if it gets Greenlit?

Can I get a guarantee that I'll be given to opportunity to install it on Steam then and not get to play it from there?

That would be ideal.[/QUOTE]
You can't get a guarantee for anything. ;)

[quote name='Eldredpe']Probably not any time soon, as it's technically a "bundle" of two EA games that are $19.99 a piece. And EA doesn't often let their games drop below $19.99 for a base price.

There might very well end up being some crazy promotions on it closer to the launch of DA3, though, and Amazon has had Ultimate + DA2 for $10, though you'd have to play that on Origin.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks! I might as well grab it now if that's the case. I'll cross the Origin bridge when I have to. lol!

[quote name='seamoss']*Everything* is cheaper in the future.[/QUOTE]

I was more looking for a cut in the near future. Say within the next 6 months. The game is already at the price point I feel worth it, but I didn't want to drop 7.50 on it and then next week see the game dropped to like 10 bucks... lol

[quote name='AVacuousSmile']OK, thanks! I might as well grab it now if that's the case. I'll cross the Origin bridge when I have to. lol![/QUOTE]

Actually, if you want to croos the Origin bridge now, you can use both cd keys you get when you buy DA:O UE on Steam and activate them at your Bioware account. The game cdkey goes to Register a game and the DLC one goes to Register a promo code. Yesterday I did that, the only problem is that you'll have to keep entering the cdkey because sometimes it works sometimes doesn't. Greetings :cool:

[quote name='jshackles']I wish this were true with things like gasoline and food! :lol:[/QUOTE]
Some food gets discounted when it gets close to it's expiration date. ;)

[quote name='fignutz32']Some food gets discounted when it gets close to it's expiration date. ;)[/QUOTE]

Most of my impulse food buys are on clearanced out food.

[quote name='AVacuousSmile']I was more looking for a cut in the near future. Say within the next 6 months. The game is already at the price point I feel worth it, but I didn't want to drop 7.50 on it and then next week see the game dropped to like 10 bucks... lol[/QUOTE]

I was (mostly...) joking but six months is a long time and many things can happen. I got DA:Origins & DA:Awakening for free from the great EA survey "giveaway" of 2012, and DA2 from Gamersgate for ~$2.50 (all of these on Origin, which is fine by me). Also keep in mind that EA is not in the best shape financially so we may see some firesales soon. And finally, who'd have thought it possible that Mass Effect 2 would show up in the Indie Gala bundle that you can buy right now from Fox (with a bunch of other games) for $1.60? So, if I were you, I'd hold off if you're not playing it for six months.

DA: O UE is popular enough, I don't see EA has any reason to drop it further for the time being.

[quote name='fignutz32']Some food gets discounted when it gets close to it's expiration date. ;)[/QUOTE]

And they put it in the free bin behind the store after the expiry date. ^_~

...unless they remark it. >.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back