The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Eldredpe']Most of my impulse food buys are on clearanced out food.[/QUOTE]

Do you have those expired food stores around you? I guess they aren't expired but the best if used by date has passed or the freeze by date. I used to get digorno pizzas for 1.50. Cases of Monster for like 6 dollars.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Do you have those expired food stores around you? I guess they aren't expired but the best if used by date has passed or the freeze by date. I used to get digorno pizzas for 1.50. Cases of Monster for like 6 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I just shop late at night, and the Meijer by me by that time has pretty much slapped everything with clearance stickers in bakery, deli, meats, etc. So I end up snagging that stuff a lot to eat when I get home and the next day (or amass an absurd amount of meat in my freezer that I cannot wait more than 24 hours to cook once thawed.)

How would you go about finding one of "those expired food stores"? I've never heard of that, but I'm quite honestly intrigued.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Nah, I just shop late at night, and the Meijer by me by that time has pretty much slapped everything with clearance stickers in bakery, deli, meats, etc. So I end up snagging that stuff a lot to eat when I get home and the next day (or amass an absurd amount of meat in my freezer that I cannot wait more than 24 hours to cook once thawed.)

How would you go about finding one of "those expired food stores"? I've never heard of that, but I'm quite honestly intrigued.[/QUOTE]

Well by me in PA there is a store called Amelia's they label it as a "grocery outlet". Everything is passed the use by date or very close to it. The stores around here don't bother clearancing out frozen, refridgerated and boxed goods so they ship everything off to Amelia's. maybe try looking for grocery outlets.

Back in Texas they have a place called Town Talk which is a salvage grocery store and everything is past expiration or right at it. I don't trust that particular store too much since they sell giant packs of meat frozen with no date, but it is funny to see stuff from other grocery stores out of state end up there.

Here in Washington they have a wonderful place called Grocery Outlet (and they have them in Oregon and CA too I believe) where most of the stuff is still good just close to expiration and we love it. Gotten stuff like Chobani yogurts for .10 cents a pop. Odwalla juice for 2 for $1. Also find stuff that maybe didn't quite catch on so the companies dump the remaining stock here. Shop there almost exclusively except sometimes their veggies are too ripe for my taste so I'll go elsewhere for those.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Back in Texas they have a place called Town Talk which is a salvage grocery store and everything is past expiration or right at it. I don't trust that particular store too much since they sell giant packs of meat frozen with no date, but it is funny to see stuff from other grocery stores out of state end up there.

Here in Washington they have a wonderful place called Grocery Outlet (and they have them in Oregon and CA too I believe) where most of the stuff is still good just close to expiration and we love it. Gotten stuff like Chobani yogurts for .10 cents a pop. Odwalla juice for 2 for $1. Also find stuff that maybe didn't quite catch on so the companies dump the remaining stock here. Shop there almost exclusively except sometimes their veggies are too ripe for my taste so I'll go elsewhere for those.[/QUOTE]

Sounds very similar to Amelia's. I got these Carmelo Anthony and Steven Segal energy drinks there. The Carmelo Anthony ones were awful but Steven Segals Asian Experiance energy drink actually mixed well with jagermeister

Replying from mobile sucks...
Thanks for all the help and advice everybody. I think I'll just wait on DA: O at least until the summer sale.
And now I can get cheep food if I ever travel to PA! Lol!

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Well by me in PA there is a store called Amelia's they label it as a "grocery outlet". Everything is passed the use by date or very close to it. The stores around here don't bother clearancing out frozen, refridgerated and boxed goods so they ship everything off to Amelia's. maybe try looking for grocery outlets.[/QUOTE]

I have one near me and it's in Chester. http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pa/chester/crime/
The really ghetto part too.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Sounds very similar to Amelia's. I got these Carmelo Anthony and Steven Segal energy drinks there. The Carmelo Anthony ones were awful but Steven Segals Asian Experiance energy drink actually mixed well with jagermeister[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the time I got some Bob Marley Mellow Iced Tea drinks. One flavor was okay, but the others got a pass from me. We got the best biscuits ever there once, but we haven't seen them in two years since and I don't remember the name :( Just a red can of of biscuits you popped open and threw into the oven.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Nah, I just shop late at night, and the Meijer by me by that time has pretty much slapped everything with clearance stickers in bakery, deli, meats, etc. So I end up snagging that stuff a lot to eat when I get home and the next day (or amass an absurd amount of meat in my freezer that I cannot wait more than 24 hours to cook once thawed.)

How would you go about finding one of "those expired food stores"? I've never heard of that, but I'm quite honestly intrigued.[/QUOTE]

I don't know of any around here, but there are a couple of stores that do something like that in a single section. One store has some sort of agreement with a produce supplier and always has close-out produce at super cheap prices. Needs to be used quick, of course. A different store has a cooler section with deli meats and such at close-out prices. That one is interesting because it will have packaged of Target house brand deli meat next to Kroger house brand or something similar.

[quote name='Izod517']So no thoughts on LA Noire? How about LA Noire with blueberries. Now are you interested in a game discussion?![/QUOTE]

I mixed LA Noire with a knock-off 4-Loco called Max Fury being sold $5 per case on the night before the caffeinated alcoholic beverage ban was instituted in Michigan.

Tasted ok, but led to a weird binge/nap cycle that lasted three days.

LA Noire is pretty good if you're into that kind of thing.

The Rockstar sale is probably the only sale that I can't take part in not because of lack of interest or money, but because of lack of choices, since I have all of Rockstar's games except for Manhunt. Did get Brütal Legend, though.

[quote name='louiedog']Rockstar Games Weekend
Rockstar Hits Collection 67% off ($29.99) - Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3
Daily - L.A. Noire - 75% off ($4.99 base, $7.49 complete, $2.99 DLC bundle)
Everything else is 50% off[/quote]
If only a PC version of Red Dead Redemption was in that R* list...

[quote name='Eldredpe']Probably not any time soon, as it's technically a "bundle" of two EA games that are $19.99 a piece. And EA doesn't often let their games drop below $19.99 for a base price.

There might very well end up being some crazy promotions on it closer to the launch of DA3, though, and Amazon has had Ultimate + DA2 for $10, though you'd have to play that on Origin.[/QUOTE]
They also had it for $7.50 (after coupon) in January of 2011, I think.

[quote name='Izod517']So no thoughts on LA Noire? How about LA Noire with blueberries. Now are you interested in a game discussion?![/QUOTE]
Locked to 30 FPS, 'nuff said.

Lots of people have major, major problems getting it running too. I tried every fix in the book short of reinstalling my OS before I gave up.

[quote name='MysterD']If only a PC version of Red Dead Redemption was in that R* list...[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they'll do a higher fidelity re-release on next gen consoles which will be more like PCs...

Some good cases. Mostly terrible cases. Not a very good game. Same crappy Rockstar cutesy nihilism chic without the cutesy Rockstar nihilism chic humor.

"BUT IT'S NOIRE EVERYTHING IS SUPPOSED TO BE BAD AND HORRIBLE FOREVER."

Shut up you.

[quote name='vince_carter']just how bad is the bully port ?[/QUOTE]

Don't you do it...75% off or bust! Also amazon carries Steam keys for bully...but they have always bundled it with other things....so it could also be cheaper there at some point.

[quote name='seamoss']I was (mostly...) joking but six months is a long time and many things can happen. I got DA:Origins & DA:Awakening for free from the great EA survey "giveaway" of 2012, and DA2 from Gamersgate for ~$2.50 (all of these on Origin, which is fine by me). Also keep in mind that EA is not in the best shape financially so we may see some firesales soon. And finally, who'd have thought it possible that Mass Effect 2 would show up in the Indie Gala bundle that you can buy right now from Fox (with a bunch of other games) for $1.60? So, if I were you, I'd hold off if you're not playing it for six months.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm quoting myself and it's not deal-related 'n' all, but...

"Reports Put EA Layoffs In The Hundreds"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/25/yikes-reports-put-ea-layoffs-in-the-hundreds/

The Bully port is not great. The PC controls are awkward, use a controller. You'll likely want to remove the FPS cap, but you'll need to limit it to 60 FPS on top of that as past that the game can get wonky.

It had all sorts of performance and tech issues at release but the average computer should brute force past them these days.

Bully PC (from Rockstar New England AKA Mad Doc Software) is one of the WORST PC ports I've ever seen, technically.

One 2 different PC's that were MAJORLY over the requirements, w/ its newest official PC patch...

PC #1 (Win XP PC) -> Game would never boot up after "New Game" screen; opening vid would never play properly; sound settings never were found by the game; infinite load times (would have to bring out Task Manager to get out).
PC #2 [Current PC] (Win 7 PC) -> Game ran perfectly fine and had VSync forced on - looks like a console game (PS2).

Go bloody figure.

IF- and that's a big IF - you can get Bully PC port going properly, it's a REALLY good game, actually.

EDIT:
Actually, R* was never great w/ PC ports upon release at V 1.0, honestly. Bully PC; GTA3 PC; GTA: SA PC; GTA4 PC - just had all kinds of technical problems.
R* PC ports are often best played after the game's been out for a while; better PC hardware is out there; and the game's been patched a bunch of times.
On the other hand - Max Payne 3 PC is easily their best PC port, IMHO.

[quote name='vince_carter']just how bad is the bully port ?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I've never had a problem with it.

I've only used a controller, though. And I'm on Windows 7 64-bit if that helps any.

There are horror stories, though.

Oh, there are horror stories.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
Back in Texas they have a place called Town Talk which is a salvage grocery store and everything is past expiration or right at it. I don't trust that particular store too much since they sell giant packs of meat frozen with no date, but it is funny to see stuff from other grocery stores out of state end up there.
Here in Washington they have a wonderful place called Grocery Outlet (and they have them in Oregon and CA too I believe) where most of the stuff is still good just close to expiration and we love it.
Gotten stuff like Chobani yogurts for .10 cents a pop. Odwalla juice for 2 for $1. Also find stuff that maybe didn't quite catch on so the companies dump the remaining stock here. Shop there almost exclusively except sometimes their veggies are too ripe for my taste so I'll go elsewhere for those.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah we have those down here, there's one in Redwood City, CA. Interesting place, not just expired (or questionable) stuff, but stuff you never see elsewhere. I once had canned carrots from there that were rejected as unfit for human consumption by a Guatemalan insane aslyum. Have you ever gotten splinters from eating carrorts? I have. (Apparently if that common type grows large enough, it gets woody.) I've had a lot of different things from there I enjoyed. I stopped shopping there in '03 when they raised their prices too far, such that I was better off at "normal" stores.

[quote name='Eldredpe']
I mixed LA Noire with a knock-off 4-Loco called Max Fury being sold $5 per case on the night before the caffeinated alcoholic beverage ban was instituted in Michigan.

Tasted ok,
but led to a weird binge/nap cycle that lasted three days.

LA Noire is pretty good if you're into that kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

I'm not up for a three day binge-nap cycle atm (well not until this quarter finishes anyhow), and I've been waiting for it to drop to $5 for the complete version since I have little confidence in it.

[quote name='Corpekata']The Bully port is not great. T
he PC controls are awkward, use a controller. You'll likely want to remove the FPS cap, but you'll need to limit it to 60 FPS on top of that as past that the game can get wonky.

It had all sorts of performance and tech issues at release but the average computer should brute force past them these days.[/QUOTE]

Weird I played it a bit after picking it up from Best Buy for $5 years back, it ran without issue on XP in my Athlon X2 3800 / 7900 GT w/RumblePad 2 controller. It's a PS2 game, so any issues should be easily powered through now. I can attest that the DMC3 PC port was *horrible* back in the day requiring crazy high PC specs to play acceptably. I tried it again a few months back Win7-64, Phenom II X3 720, GTX 260 (4-year old hardware) and it ran 1920x1200 @60 FPS solid.

Since Don't Starve launched Tuesday, they consolidated their key system, so your Don't Starve key now works on Steam, Chrome, and the Humble Store (DRM-FREE). It used to be that the Steam and Chrome keys were separate. Also Mac and Linux versions got added two weeks ago =)

The websites are all out of date on the key info.
Ref: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?16636-How-Keys-Work-Post-Launch

Also, I recommend it, when it hits your price point! I've had fun with it.

[quote name='The End']New Borderlands 2 shift codes.
WT533-J99WW-ZC6JJ-TBJT3-SWKTB
CTKTJ-WHSKC-Z56BJ-BTB3B-9C6FT[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

...and I can't believe that Foosball Manager beat me to that!

[quote name='asheskitty']
I'm not up for a three day binge-nap cycle atm (well not until this quarter finishes anyhow), and I've been waiting for it to drop to $5 for the complete version since I have little confidence in it.
[/QUOTE]

That comment was about the Max Fury, not LA Noire.

LA Noire was just a casualty.

[quote name='Eldredpe']That comment was about the Max Fury, not LA Noire.

LA Noire was just a casualty.[/QUOTE]

^_^ I know. I just *wanted* to associate it with LA Noire. BTW, how'd it play on your 8800GT?

[quote name='asheskitty']^_^ I know. I just *wanted* to associate it with LA Noire. BTW, how'd it play on your 8800GT?[/QUOTE]

I played it on PS3.

Which was a result of the Kmart day 1 deal at the time, but in retrospect seems extremely prudent. (I don't think LA Noire came out on PC until 6 months after consoles anyway, right?)

[quote name='asheskitty']Since Don't Starve launched Tuesday, they consolidated their key system, so your Don't Starve key now works on Steam, Chrome, and the Humble Store (DRM-FREE). It used to be that the Steam and Chrome keys were separate. Also Mac and Linux versions got added two weeks ago =)

Ref: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?16636-How-Keys-Work-Post-Launch

Also, I recommend it, when it hits your price point! I've had fun with it.[/QUOTE]

Oh cool. I knew they finally allowed me to register my Steam copy on Chrome, which I've done, but I didn't realize the Humble Store was part of it. I've now claimed that page and have yet another game on my account. Thanks.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I played it on PS3.

Which was a result of the Kmart day 1 deal at the time, but in retrospect seems extremely prudent. (I don't think LA Noire came out on PC until 6 months after consoles anyway, right?)[/QUOTE]

Wow, console games, that's some bender. ^_~

Nah, it was a week short of 6 months later for the PC release, you know, *after* they fixed the problems -snickers- :lol:.

I really liked LA Noire: Complete PC.
I had to run it in DX9.0 PC mode, later on in the sewer levels. Performance goes really to the crapper in DX10 mode there - it was fine in DX 9.0 mode there for me.

[quote name='MysterD']I really liked LA Noire: Complete PC.
I had to run it in DX9.0 PC mode, later on in the sewer levels. Performance goes really to the crapper in DX10 mode there - it was fine in DX 9.0 mode there for me.[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there. I like it.

[quote name='louiedog']I see what you did there. I like it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.
Glad someone likes & caught my very particular word choice. :D

[quote name='RollingSkull']I may go back to Don't Starve now that it's "officially" released but man was it a boring grindfest when I played it.[/QUOTE]

Flowette was just telling me how much it enrages you.

[quote name='asheskitty']Also, I recommend it, when it hits your price point! I've had fun with it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Don't Starve is a really fun game in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

[quote name='asheskitty']Since Don't Starve launched Tuesday, they consolidated their key system, so your Don't Starve key now works on Steam, Chrome, and the Humble Store (DRM-FREE). It used to be that the Steam and Chrome keys were separate. Also Mac and Linux versions got added two weeks ago =)

Also, I recommend it, when it hits your price point! I've had fun with it.[/QUOTE]

So how does that work for people who bought the game through the Chrome store? They got 2 steam keys and 2 chrome keys. Do the 2 chrome keys now also work on steam? And do the 2 steam keys now work on chrome? If so, they would essentially have 4 keys of each version.

Unless I'm just misunderstanding something here. Which I suppose is entirely possible.

[quote name='The End']So how does that work for people who bought the game through the Chrome store? They got 2 steam keys and 2 chrome keys. Do the 2 chrome keys now also work on steam? And do the 2 steam keys now work on chrome? If so, they would essentially have 4 keys of each version.

Unless I'm just misunderstanding something here. Which I suppose is entirely possible.[/QUOTE]

Read through the link: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?16636-How-Keys-Work-Post-Launch
make sure you hit the spoiler buttons.

I believe (unconfirmed) you care correct though, since any key Steam/Chrome/Humble key now registers on all platforms.

Have Windows Vista and never had any problems running bully, controls a bit clunky but I just assumed it was because it is an old PS2 game, Used KB + Mouse.

Bought Defense Grid: Containment DLC for $1.24. I'd like to echo everyone's praise for the game. Been waiting to get this DLC for 75% off. I should get back into playing it again...

[quote name='Eldredpe']I tend to install games and never get around to playing them, so this deal is right up my alley. :)[/QUOTE]

You and me both.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Most of my impulse food buys are on clearanced out food.[/QUOTE]

My freezer is stocked with clearance lunchmeats right now.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Do you have those expired food stores around you? I guess they aren't expired but the best if used by date has passed or the freeze by date. I used to get digorno pizzas for 1.50. Cases of Monster for like 6 dollars.[/QUOTE]

I used to do a great deal of my grocery (and pie) shopping at Market Day / Sarah Lee outlets, but they all closed in the past year. Still some Holsum Bread outlets and a Pepperidge Farm outlet around here, though kind of out of the way.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I played it on PS3.

Which was a result of the Kmart day 1 deal at the time, but in retrospect seems extremely prudent. (I don't think LA Noire came out on PC until 6 months after consoles anyway, right?)[/QUOTE]

I bought it with KMart's deal as well. Was that the one where you got a coupon AND a free game $19.99 or less? Still haven't played L.A.Noire, but I felt like I got a great deal. I miss when KMart was on top of things.

[quote name='DPsycho']
I bought it with KMart's deal as well. Was that the one where you got a coupon AND a free game $19.99 or less? Still haven't played L.A.Noire, but I felt like I got a great deal. I miss when KMart was on top of things.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It was buy LA Noire for $60 on launch day, get a $15 GC and a $19.99 game of your choice (I got Yakuza 3).

And it's nice of you to catch up on all of my posts for the evening. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back