The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mooby']Looking like you actually need to be Swedish/have one of those numbers to register an account.[/QUOTE]
I registered an account but it wouldn't accept any of my cards, even with accurate name and address info. I'm guessing it checks the originating bank and/or checks the card against your supposed ID Number. Was a fun experiment but it isn't going to pan out.

No option for Paypal. Either Visa/Mastercard or else a direct debit from a listed Swedish bank.

[quote name='anycolourfloyd']i heaps want that GTA pack deal for $12.50, but i'm from australia.. if anybody is willing to bust out any trade shenanigans it would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Check the Group buy / trading thread and you may be able to get it cheaper.

[quote name='Jon7']The people hating on GTA, I'm wondering if you played GTA3 when it first came out or only recently? Back when it was released it was pretty groundbreaking in terms of open world gaming, at least on consoles.[/QUOTE]
I played GTA3 PC around its release - yeah, it definitely was groundbreaking when it came out!

Still, I'll take GTA: Vice City over all of the GTA games. VC was influenced by one of my gangster favorite movies of all time (Scarface); added bikes; even technically performed better than GTA3 PC; much improved voice-acting & storytelling; influenced by 80's Miami for its setting; and the whole 80's vibe and music - man, I just loved that game.

Well, except the RC mission - that mission sucked. ;)

[quote name='MysterD']I played GTA3 PC around its release - yeah, it definitely was groundbreaking when it came out!

Still, I'll take GTA: Vice City over all of the GTA games. VC was influenced by one of my gangster favorite movies of all time (Scarface); added bikes; even technically performed better than GTA3 PC; much improved voice-acting & storytelling; influenced by 80's Miami for its setting; and the whole 80's vibe and music - man, I just loved that game.

Well, except the RC mission - that mission sucked. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think exactly the same.

[quote name='MysterD']I played GTA3 PC around its release - yeah, it definitely was groundbreaking when it came out!

Still, I'll take GTA: Vice City over all of the GTA games. VC was influenced by one of my gangster favorite movies of all time (Scarface); added bikes; even technically performed better than GTA3 PC; much improved voice-acting & storytelling; influenced by 80's Miami for its setting; and the whole 80's vibe and music - man, I just loved that game.[/QUOTE]

And Vice City was probably my least favorite GTA since the series went 3D. Still a great game, but I just didn't really enjoy the main character and story.

Vice City is my favorite 3D GTA because of the characters and setting. San Andreas is technically better, but '80s Miami Vice is just a lot more fun for me than early '90s gangsta.

[quote name='asheskitty']Vice City is my favorite 3D GTA because of the characters and setting. San Andreas is technically better, but '80s Miami Vice is just a lot more fun for me than early '90s gangsta.[/QUOTE]
My feelings exactly. There needs to be a Vice City 2.

[quote name='asheskitty']Vice City is my favorite 3D GTA because of the characters and setting.[/quote]
This!

San Andreas is technically better, but '80s Miami Vice is just a lot more fun for me than early '90s gangsta.
I actually never finished SA...
GTA: SA and GTA4: The Lost and The Damned are the only GTA's since GTA3 that I ain't finished.

EDIT:
[quote name='Terlan']There needs to be a Vice City 2.[/QUOTE]
THIS!!!

[quote name='Detruire']So much for "check[ing] back each day for new deals" in the Rockstar weekend.[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for a crazy GTA5 PC deal.... ;)

[quote name='Detruire']I was hoping for a misc day.[/QUOTE]

Well at this point, they'd have to do a miscellaneous day if they had new specials today. They've already done the three big franchises that they have available on steam (LA Noire, Max Payne & GTA). All that's left is Bully, Midnight Club 2 & Manhunt.

[quote name='Detruire']I was hoping for a misc day.[/QUOTE]
I was hoping for GTA5 PC announcement & pre-order for $20, to be specific. ;)

EDIT:
[quote name='The End']Well at this point, they'd have to do a miscellaneous day if they had new specials today. They've already done the three big franchises that they have available on steam (LA Noire, Max Payne & GTA). All that's left is Bully, Midnight Club 2 & Manhunt.[/QUOTE]

Oooh, Midnight Club 2 was fun.
I wish they'd bring MORE of the recent MC games to the PC.

EDIT 2:
I still am waiting for Red Dead Redempt PC, as well....
{taps boot w/ spur impatiently}

[quote name='The End']Well at this point, they'd have to do a miscellaneous day if they had new specials today.[/QUOTE]
Yes, and I was hoping to pick up Bully at 75% off (or cheaper.) But they're just running GTA still - hence my comment.

[quote name='spoderman']I was only interested in Manhunt and possibly Bully.. GTA, LA Noire, and Max Payne frequently get sales.. why not Manhunt?[/QUOTE]

I don't know - good question.
{shrug}

I got Manhunt 1 from Retail; and Manhunt 2 Uncut from D2D.
I still ain't touched MH2.

[quote name='spoderman']I was only interested in Manhunt and possibly Bully.. GTA, LA Noire, and Max Payne frequently get sales.. why not Manhunt?[/QUOTE]

Manhunt 1/2 are all about brutally executing people, hence all the bans. Just watch this video and you won't have to play either game, unless you're silly and like stories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8V0_WpM3Q

That video just makes me want a Manhunt update with PhysX effects for the blood, gore, and ragdoll. ...some higher rez textures, tessellation...

So the writing in Poker Night 2 is so damn good. However the AI of the opponents is fucking horrible. Yes it's a poker game, but the AI thought process is only bet when they have a pair or better 98% of the time. So basically whenever they bet, they have a hand that could win, so there really is no strategy involved.

Just as bad as Poker Night 1. No real improvements.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So the writing in Poker Night 2 is so damn good. However the AI of the opponents is fucking horrible. Yes it's a poker game, but the AI thought process is only bet when they have a pair or better 98% of the time. So basically whenever they bet, they have a hand that could win, so there really is no strategy involved.

Just as bad as Poker Night 1. No real improvements.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried the demo, and it was way to easy. Got a player out nearly every hand. Definitely waiting for a sale, and hopefully a patch or update, as I've heard its a bit unstable (a telltale sign of a TellTale game;))

Borderlands 2 SHiFT code for 5 keys. It looks like it's a redemption limit and may be gone in a few hours.
WBWB3-9BKX3-KC5W3-H35B3-3KSX9

A user over at Giant Bomb created a new website to help manage and motivate you to chip away at your backlog. It looks pretty good. link

[quote name='MysterD']I actually never finished SA...
GTA: SA and GTA4: The Lost and The Damned are the only GTA's since GTA3 that I ain't finished.[/QUOTE]

Beat Vice City and then some (quite a bit actually). I came close to beating San Andreas but lost momentum toward the end. Beat GTA4 (after restarting it a from 1/4 way, after two years of patches and a new computer). I still mean to play EEFL, particularly Gay Tony.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So the writing in Poker Night 2 is so damn good. However the AI of the opponents is fucking horrible.
Yes it's a poker game, but the AI thought process is only bet when they have a pair or better 98% of the time. So basically whenever they bet, they have a hand that could win, so there really is no strategy involved.

Just as bad as Poker Night 1. No real improvements.
[/QUOTE]

Wow I wouldn't have expected that. Statistical models for poker are quite straightforward, heck, even a simple game tree implementation should be quite effective and easy.

[quote name='louiedog']Borderlands 2 SHiFT code for 5 keys. It looks like it's a redemption limit and may be gone in a few hours.
WBWB3-9BKX3-KC5W3-H35B3-3KSX9

A user over at Giant Bomb created a new website to help manage and motivate you to chip away at your backlog. It looks pretty good. link[/QUOTE]

A few hours? More like a few minutes.. no longer works for me.

[quote name='spoderman']A few hours? More like a few minutes.. no longer works for me.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Randy Pitchford tweeted it out and expected it would last longer. Maybe they left off a zero for number of redemptions.

That's the code for dirty PS3 console peasants.

PC Master Race Only:
5JCJ3-5TFFK-9WRBT-3B3BJ-63SS3

works for me!

Thanks for the heads-up louie!

[quote name='asheskitty']That's the PS3 code.

PC Master Race Only:

works for me[/QUOTE]

My mistake. I'm going to blame it on the new twitter client that I use but in reality I just screwed up my text copy.

[quote name='asheskitty']That's the code for dirty PS3 console peasants.

PC Master Race Only:

works for me![/QUOTE]

I figured something was wrong.. thanks for the PC code.

[quote name='louiedog']A user over at Giant Bomb created a new website to help manage and motivate you to chip away at your backlog. It looks pretty good. link[/QUOTE]

Wow, this is cool. I may have to try and force myself to use this.

All these cool Steam API sites just make me wish their functionality was built into Steam Community though.

So I was seriously pondering, why BL2 shift codes are platform specific..

I've seen them do a few platform-exclusive shift key drops (e.g. the 360-only one recently), but that doesn't strike me as a strong enough reason.

I think a reasonable answer is this: Suppose a dirty console peasant owns BL2 on both PS3 & 360 (to play with different friends I assume) but both copies are linked to the same gearbox account. If the dirty console peasant tried to redeem a shift key on PS3 and then the same one for his 360 version it wouldn't let him because the shift key was already redeemed according to his Gearbox account. Platform specific shift keys solve this problem.

That backlog tool is neat but I can't figure out how to remove games from the beaten list and put them in the blacklist list (ones I lost interest in or didn't enjoy my time at all).

[quote name='asheskitty']I think a reasonable answer is this: Suppose a dirty console peasant owns BL2 on both PS3 & 360 (to play with different friends I assume) but both copies are linked to the same gearbox account. If the dirty console peasant tried to redeem a shift key on PS3 and then the same one for his 360 version it wouldn't let him because the shift key was already redeemed according to his Gearbox account. Platform specific shift keys solve this problem.[/QUOTE]

Possibly, but I wish they had cross-platform saves. My gunzerker and assassin are on PS3.

[quote name='plft']That backlog tool is neat but I can't figure out how to remove games from the beaten list and put them in the blacklist list (ones I lost interest in or didn't enjoy my time at all).[/QUOTE]

It is quite a nice tool, but yeah I am pretty sure you can't do that. Also the stats page while neat is pretty useless. It would be a bit better if the stats compared yours to the entirety of steam rather than simply seeing the entirety of steam.

Still though, is it that difficult for people to either remember which games they are currently playing or have beaten? I guess I am not really seeing the whole benefit of this tool, but perhaps that is because my memory isn't completely rubbish... yet.

[quote name='elessar123']Possibly, but I wish they had cross-platform saves. My gunzerker and assassin are on PS3.[/QUOTE]

I just wish they had a cross-platform way of entering shift codes. I mean entering in large codes with a Xbox 360 controller is great and all... oh wait no it isn't.

[quote name='Kaltic']I just wish they had a cross-platform way of entering shift codes. I mean entering in large codes with a Xbox 360 controller is great and all... oh wait no it isn't.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'd be loathe to enter them without copy-paste... it'd be like entering product serial keys from paper all over again... regularly. Even worse on a controller, with with one of these:

Technically they couldn't let you enter them from the website because the fact that you redeemed any given key is stored on their servers, but your current number of golden keys in saved in your local save file.

360_keyboard.jpg

[quote name='Kaltic']It is quite a nice tool, but yeah I am pretty sure you can't do that. Also the stats page while neat is pretty useless. It would be a bit better if the stats compared yours to the entirety of steam rather than simply seeing the entirety of steam.

Still though, is it that difficult for people to either remember which games they are currently playing or have beaten? I guess I am not really seeing the whole benefit of this tool, but perhaps that is because my memory isn't completely rubbish... yet.[/QUOTE]
I would have tried that for the random game element with the sorting of games you don't want. I'll be sticking with my spreadsheet if I can't remove games from the beaten list.

[quote name='asheskitty']Beat Vice City and then some (quite a bit actually). I came close to beating San Andreas but lost momentum toward the end.[/quote]
I really should go back and work on SA.
SA was really good.

But like most GTA's, when I find that mission that drives me nuts, I might get away from it, for a long while. Every damn GTA has one of those, pretty much.

Beat GTA4 (after restarting it a from 1/4 way, after two years of patches and a new computer). I still mean to play EEFL, particularly Gay Tony.
Gay Tony is the closest thing to Vice City since VC was released.
Still hoping that GTA: Vice City HD Mod gets completed.

[quote name='Kaltic']
Still though, is it that difficult for people to either remember which games they are currently playing or have beaten? I guess I am not really seeing the whole benefit of this tool, but perhaps that is because my memory isn't completely rubbish... yet.
[/QUOTE]

It's not about remembering the games you've beaten, it's about having some sense of achievement, looking over a list of games that you're made it through. It helps make you feel less shitty about your backlog.

[quote name='MysterD']I really should go back and work on SA.
SA was really good.

But like most GTA's, when I find that mission that drives me nuts, I might get away from it, for a long while. Every damn GTA has one of those, pretty much.[/QUOTE]

And I've countered that, for the most part, most of those missions are fine if you switch from kb+mouse to controller or the other way around.

[quote name='gilby']And I've countered that, for the most part, most of those missions are fine if you switch from kb+mouse to controller or the other way around.[/QUOTE]

That's how I play GTA-style games, yes.

Either way - there's always some sort of mission I got stuck on, no matter what control-style I use (KB/mouse or controller).

[quote name='Eldredpe']It's not about remembering the games you've beaten, it's about having some sense of achievement, looking over a list of games that you're made it through. It helps make you feel less shitty about your backlog.[/QUOTE]
I don't need a website to tell me how many games I've beaten.

Alpha Prime, Portal, Serious Sam HD: TFE, Plants vs Zombies, RUSH, and Doom.

As for 100%'d achievements: 0.

[quote name='Detruire']I don't need a website to tell me how many games I've beaten.

As for 100%'d achievements: 0.[/QUOTE]

What? No Solitaire or Minehunter? For shame!

[quote name='MysterD']That's how I play GTA-style games, yes.

Either way - there's always some sort of mission I got stuck on, no matter what control-style I use (KB/mouse or controller).[/QUOTE]

The ones that I find toughest are when I have to quickly start accurately shooting just after a tough driving sequence (or the other way around.) Quick controller changes can be tough.

[quote name='asheskitty']What? No Solitaire or Minehunter? For shame![/QUOTE]
If Steam started selling those, you know they'd be the top sellers.

"Hmm, my computer came with them free but... gotta have em on Steam!"

[quote name='louiedog']A user over at Giant Bomb created a new website to help manage and motivate you to chip away at your backlog. It looks pretty good. link[/QUOTE]

There appears to be no way to unmark a game as beat. I accidentally marked UT3 instead of UT and annoyingly can't go back and fix it.

[quote name='Idiotekque']If Steam started selling those, you know they'd be the top sellers.

"Hmm, my computer came with them free but... gotta have em on Steam!"[/QUOTE]

Did you add them as a Non-Steam game...? ;)

[quote name='Detruire']I don't need a website to tell me how many games I've beaten.

As for 100%'d achievements: 0.[/QUOTE]

Ha, someone else who played Alpha Prime. I beat it a couple weeks ago as part of my half-serious effort to beat all my games starting with "A". I think it was the twelfth one I've done and boy did it suck. Only the Alien Breed trilogy could rival it in terms of sheer boredom disguised with impressively good graphics.

Now I'm on Anomaly: Warzone Earth which is much better thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back