The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Frithsblessing']Have the unlocked-at-a-later-time games in the IR bundles ever been good?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Gunman Clive is pretty good and it was added to the Debut bundle, along with Isaac The Adventurer. Nothing amazing has ever been added as a bonus though.

[quote name='spoderman']Yes. Gunman Clive is pretty good and it was added to the Debut bundle, along with Isaac The Adventurer. Nothing amazing has ever been added as a bonus though.[/QUOTE]

If that is the case, do you want to sell me your extra copy of Cargo Commander?

[quote name='Genocidal']There appears to be no way to unmark a game as beat. I accidentally marked UT3 instead of UT and annoyingly can't go back and fix it.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you can un-blacklist a game, but not un-beat it.

Anyone in FI/NO/SE/DK available to buy keys off of viagame.fi or help out with region pricing. I would throw a couple bucks your way for the trouble. Dishonored from the Viagame sale is currently €9.99, €7.99 after coupon ($10.41).

Coupon code: VIAGAME20 (Finland) or TV20 (Sweden)

Wasn't really sure where to post this tried the steam trading thread and got no hits.

Screw it bought a monaco 4 pack instead

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Interesting that you can un-blacklist a game, but not un-beat it.[/QUOTE]

But can you re-un-blacklist it before (un-)beating it?

Is Binary Domain supposed to be played with a controller or k/m? I've recently got it from GMG. I've heard that it's a nice TPS and I want to give it a try.

[quote name='soulkyo']Is Binary Domain supposed to be played with a controller or k/m? I've recently got it from GMG. I've heard that it's a nice TPS and I want to give it a try.[/QUOTE]

it's definitely better with a controller

[quote name='vince_carter']it's definitely better with a controller[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corpekata']Played fine with KBAM for me. Usual context sensitive nonsense that all cover shooters have though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answers. I'll give both a try :applause:;)

[quote name='esq373']For those that wanted Bully or Manhunt:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/bully-manhunt-pack/

Greenmangaming to the rescue![/QUOTE]
Would be a good deal if it was truly an or, but I don't want Manhunt especially since I'm on Windows 7 and use multiple monitors (both things that are big issues with the game as shown on the hub). However if you want both and can deal with potential issues this is as good as you'll get for now.

[quote name='plft']Would be a good deal if it was truly an or, but I don't want Manhunt especially since I'm on Windows 7 and use multiple monitors (both things that are big issues with the game as shown on the hub). However if you want both and can deal with potential issues this is as good as you'll get for now.[/QUOTE]

There is a *.dll fix for Win7 issues with Manhunt. They're also separate Steam Keys so you can sell off Manhunt if you don't want it.

Edit: For the lazy the pack is $5 after GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA.

[quote name='Izod517']There is a *.dll fix for Win7 issues with Manhunt. They're also separate Steam Keys so you can sell off Manhunt if you don't want it.

Edit: For the lazy the pack is $5 after GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA.[/QUOTE]
You're enabling my laziness, thanks finally picked up Bully!! all rockstar games now mine :roll:

Hmm, I'm afraid I'll be $5 poorer by tomorrow morning. For whatever reason the gratuitous violence in Manhunt appeals to me (it usually doesn't). I'm not opposed to having a steam copy of Bully (even though I have it from retail). These sorts of games rarely drop (much) below the $2.50 each they are in that pack. I'm also incredibly amused because these are games CAGs regularly mention because they don't get proper sales, now bundling these two unrelated* games in a pack :rofl:

*yes, they're both R* but I feel that a game about surviving highschool *is* actually different than a total gore fest. RL experience may vary.

[quote name='Terlan']I'd say this is a good deal for the game. I had a lot of fun with it when I played.[/QUOTE]

Viking is enjoyable. I've played 1/3 of it. It's a middle of the road hack-n-slash. I really enjoy the Nordic Mythology theme (under-leveraged imo). It's gotten a quite decent graphical upgrade in the PC release.

I'll also preempt Idiot here: "Erramergrrr, 30 FPS cap" ^_~

[quote name='asheskitty']
*yes, they're both R* but I feel that a game about surviving highschool *is* actually different than a total gore fest. RL experience may vary.[/QUOTE]

No, they're pretty much exactly the same thing

[quote name='asheskitty']Viking is enjoyable. I've played 1/3 of it. It's a middle of the road hack-n-slash. I really enjoy the Nordic Mythology theme (under-leveraged imo). It's gotten a quite decent graphical upgrade in the PC release.

I'll also preempt Idiot here: "Erramergrrr, 30 FPS cap" ^_~[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that it was also capped at 1280x720 resolution. I'll just keep watching Vikings on History for my hairy Nordic violence fix.

[quote name='Izod517']I read somewhere that it was also capped at 1280x720 resolution. I'll just keep watching Vikings on History for my hairy Nordic violence fix.[/QUOTE]

Lies!

Weeklong Deals
Section 8: Prejudice - $14.99 $3.74 ($44.99 $11.24 for the 4-pack)
Kohan Warchest - $19.99 $4.99
Snapshot - $9.99 $3.39
Closure - $9.99 $3.39
Sol Survivor - $9.99 $2.49 ($29.99 $7.49 for the 4-pack)
BC Kings - $4.99 $1.24
Puzzle Kingdoms - $14.99 $3.74
Stealth Bastard Deluxe - $9.99 $4.99
Legendary - $4.99 $1.24
Retrovirus - $19.99 $9.99
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals - $4.99 $1.24

There's no announcement post yet, but those are all on sale now and have week long timers. (Except Section 8, which says it's a week long sale but ends May 2nd.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Kohan was on sale last week too.[/QUOTE]

If it was it wasn't in last week's weeklong deals blog post.

EDIT: I think that Timegate is having a weeklong sale outside of the valve weeklong line-up that started last Thursday and goes until this Thursday. That would explain Section 8 and Kohan being the two games with a May 2nd sale end.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Weeklong Deals

There's no announcement post yet, but those are all on sale now and have week long timers. (Except Section 8, which says it's a week long sale but ends May 2nd.)[/QUOTE]

puzzle kingdoms seems to be on sale and on bundles a lot, but the puzzle quest games don't get discounted very often, I've been keeping an eye out on them and I haven't seen them go on sale so far this year.

EDIT: btw the stealth bastard link directs you to the puzzle kingdoms steam page

[quote name='Eldredpe']If it was it wasn't in last week's weeklong deals blog post.

EDIT: I think that Timegate is having a weeklong sale outside of the valve weeklong line-up that started last Thursday and goes until this Thursday. That would explain Section 8 and Kohan being the two games with a May 2nd sale end.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, first post about Kohan was last Thursday.

It's been a while since we had a good round of SimCity bashing...

Tom's Hardware:
Sim City, One Month Out: Still As Troubled As Day One?

Apart from the old points, it also slams EA for treating SimCity like a Freemium game and loading it up with "micro"-transactions.

Want the ability to post a new thread on the forums? That’ll be $2.99 please. Upload a custom avatar? $1.99. No.

You can’t edit terrain
City size is microscopic
Are you making money? Are you losing money? Where the devil are your trucks? Who knows.

Speaking of microtransactions and DLCs, I have this terrible premonition that city size is going to increase, and it’s going to cost money. I have the sneaking suspicion that EA has six, maybe seven, full piles of feature content created: new buildings, new regions, and new roads, ready and waiting for the angst and hate to subside long enough to justify a gradual release as DLC purchased for another $1.99-$8.99 per whack. The game, as it stands, is not a full game. It has considerably fewer buildings and options than previous incarnations of SimCity by orders of magnitude.

It is as though EA tried to make SimCity into Farmville, without the mindless fun, and failed in the attempt. SimCity, with its over-monetization, its under-delivery of practically every single expectation it was marketed on, its buggy interface, unforgiving multiplayer, frenetic budget and traffic dynamics, and absolute disregard for the gamer marks it as one of the worst games in the history of gaming.

Update: Since this editorial was written, EA launched a SimCity partnership with Crest Toothpaste to provide codes with purchases of their toothpaste and oral hygiene products redeemable for Garden Gnomes, Dinosaur statues, and Giant Balls of Twine as attractions in your city. You, too, can own one of the limited-time attractions above, or even a Llarry the Llama statue by purchasing a specially-marked Crest or Oral-B product at your supermarket today. While this may sound like a parody of every critical assessment of EA as caricatured by its detractors, rest assured, this is quite real and stunning in light of a game that still wouldn’t qualify as a beta test, even after "the big patch."

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm, I'm afraid I'll be $5 poorer by tomorrow morning. For whatever reason the gratuitous violence in Manhunt appeals to me (it usually doesn't). I'm not opposed to having a steam copy of Bully (even though I have it from retail). These sorts of games rarely drop (much) below the $2.50 each they are in that pack. I'm also incredibly amused because these are games CAGs regularly mention because they don't get proper sales, now bundling these two unrelated* games in a pack :rofl:

*yes, they're both R* but I feel that a game about surviving highschool *is* actually different than a total gore fest. RL experience may vary.[/QUOTE]

I actually kind-of agreed with the people outside of gaming who viewed Manhunt as excessive. I played some of the retail version several years ago and it just seemed really gratuitous. It was a bit like playing The Running Man, but the Stephen King short-story version with its grim bits with a guy on a plane holding his intestines in and not the rather watchable and ridiculously over-the-top Arnold Schwarzenegger film that was made later and featured future Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura and Richard Dawson.

I don't think I've ever played a game before or since that was really excessive violence for its own sake. I felt that Rockstar probably could have gone somewhere interesting if it had tried to put a satirical edge on the material but it didn't really bother making an effort to even create much of a narrative at all.

So mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?

edit: And I have Puzzle Kingdoms, no idea how I have it in my library, but I gave it a whirl, and it is terrible compared to Puzzle Quest 1 or 2.

There's a pretty good deal running on Anomaly 2 pre-orders via the Humble Store on the dev's website that lasts until the game launches on May 15.

10% off, two Steam codes, and an undisclosed gift for $13.49. It looks like the game will launch at $14.99

http://anomaly2game.com/

I was initially skeptical that the game would just be a 2-copy thing, like Frozen Synapse, but the PR for the game billed this as "Two copies of Anomaly 2 for less than the price of one, and another game." I wouldn't be surprised if the other game is the first one or maybe they're bringing Korea to PC as well.

[quote name='louiedog']There's a pretty good deal running on Anomaly 2 pre-orders via the Humble Store on the dev's website that lasts until the game launches on May 15.

10% off, two Steam codes, and an undisclosed gift

http://anomaly2game.com/

I was initially skeptical that the game would just be a 2-copy thing, like Frozen Synapse, but the PR for the game billed this as "Two copies of Anomaly 2 for less than the price of one, and another game." I wouldn't be surprised if the other game is the first one or maybe they're bringing Korea to PC as well.[/QUOTE]

It's probably the first one (which has been bundled) and GG has the same deal which comes out better if you have the Bethesda discount.

[quote name='travathian']So mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?[/QUOTE]

Are either on Steam? Origin? Desura? Uplay? Does either have limited activations?

Also you're comparing a generic product, mayonnaise, to a specific product.

FPS or Quake III?

[quote name='Detruire']"Unfortunately this product is not yet available in your region. Please check our FAQ for more details."

:bomb:[/QUOTE]

It would be far more useful for everyone to state your region when posting that.

[quote name='The End']Unreal Indie Bundle just showed up on the store.
Contains:
Dungeon defenders
Primal Carnage
Q.U.B.E.
Sanctum
The Ball
Unmechanical
Waves
[/QUOTE]

LOL. More like the Steam Indie Bundle Rehash. All of these have been bundled (maybe QUBE was IGS only?), and I have most (maybe all) these. 50% off would be decent for someone who has none of them, but I think 75% (unlikely) would still be a tough sell for us CAGs.

[quote name='vince_carter']Just a warning to the nostalgists out there

Manhunt has aged like a vat of mayo[/QUOTE]

Ooh, is that like Airaq/Kumys? (fermented mare/yak milk, common in Central Asia)

[quote name='asheskitty']LOL. More like the Steam Indie Bundle Rehash. All of these have been bundled (maybe QUBE was IGS only?), and I have most (maybe all) these. 50% off would be decent for someone who has none of them, but I think 75% (unlikely) would still be a tough sell for us CAGs.[/QUOTE]

QUBE and primal carnage were never bundled, or on IGS.

[quote name='spoderman']QUBE and primal carnage were never bundled.[/QUOTE]
QUBE was available with IGN prime when they still had the free trials.

[quote name='spoderman']QUBE and primal carnage were never bundled, or on IGS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

If QUBE had been on IGS, I would definitely have QUBE already.

[quote name='Detruire']QUBE was available with IGN prime when they still had the free trials.[/QUOTE]

It was available free via IGN prime, but definitely not when they had free trials. I remembered it.. and would've grabbed it if it was back when they still had free trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back