The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corpekata']The market for TF2 items is generally for stuff you can't farm. And it's always been that way really, even before F2P.

And he wants the idle account to be premium. Free accounts are restricted quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

I thought all you had to do to convert to premium was buy an item from the Mann Co. store (cheapest item being 99 cents)? What's the point of gamefly having TF2 on sale individually?

[quote name='spoderman']I thought all you had to do to convert to premium was buy an item from the Mann Co. store (cheapest item being 99 cents)? What's the point of gamefly having TF2 on sale individually?[/QUOTE]
Some of us can't use PayPal to buy from the MannCo store, we have to use steam wallet. Which only accepts $5 as a minimum. Pain in the ass. :p

As for idling, I do it to get extra metal, which I can trade for keys, which I can trade for games. I idle while I'm at work and my computer's already on all day so it's no big deal for me.

And by registering an Orange Box key, you get a premium TF2 account. And TF2 -was- sold on its own for a very long time, you know.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread.

I dunno, maybe he thinks it'd be just a quarter of the Orange Box price? It does seem a little petty to complain about. You do have to load up at least 5 bucks Steam Wallet to spend money there, so maybe he's just really broke right now.

$4 seems like a good deal for the Orange Box but I already have Portal and you can't give that one away like you can HL2 and HL2-1.

[quote name='annihilator']Valve games on sale at GameFly:

Portal 2
Left 4 Dead 2
The Orange Box

$4 each after coupon code GFDMAY20. Individual titles from the Orange Box on sale also, as well as L4D1.[/QUOTE]

Argh I've been wanting The Orange Box to be on sale for ages... But I canoot buy from Canada :( :( :(

[quote name='Palinn']$4 seems like a good deal for the Orange Box but I already have Portal and you can't give that one away like you can HL2 and HL2-1.[/QUOTE]

Just do it, Portal is worth zilch anyways, it's been given away for free at least twice to my knowledge. It's a killer price for a great package - that's what she said.

[quote name='spoderman']Actually, IIRC you do get an extra copy of Portal in your inventory if you activate The Orange Box while already owning Portal. Or at least, that's what happened to me when I activated Orange Box on my account.[/QUOTE]

Nope just did it a couple of months ago with an Orange Box key from GF actually. But again Portals trade worth is about 2 hairs off a mutts ass.

[quote name='Izod517']Nope just did it a couple of months ago with an Orange Box key from GF actually. But again Portals trade worth is about 2 hairs off a mutts ass.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I remembered wrong then, but yeah Portal is worthless now so not having an extra copy of it shouldn't be a decision maker for buying Orange Box.

May have something to do with key redemption vs gift redemption? I didn't get anything extra, and I'm pretty sure I already had LFD1 as well.

[quote name='spoderman']Actually, IIRC you do get an extra copy of Portal in your inventory if you activate The Orange Box while already owning Portal. Or at least, that's what happened to me when I activated Orange Box on my account.

At this point, everyone should have Portal though, it was given away for free several times.[/QUOTE]
You only get extra copies of Valve games once.

[quote name='Werckmeister']Argh I've been wanting The Orange Box to be on sale for ages... But I canoot buy from Canada :( :( :([/QUOTE]

I see what you did there.

[quote name='WilliamG']I don't want a port. Not after the disgrace that is GTA IV on the PC and the way it runs. I want a straight-up non-port, like Max Payne 3.[/QUOTE]
GTA4 PC runs fine on my current PC (i7 950; 1 GB RAM of GF GTX 560 Ti; 8 GB RAM; Win 7 64-bit).

It began to run much better, when they issued the patch that completely reworked their shadowing and lighting system.

EDIT:
BTW - Max Payne 3 PC version turned out excellent.

[quote name='MysterD']You might wanna start blaming EA. ;)[/QUOTE]
I still have it on disc, no worries.

They've done an OKAY job with SWTOR, they just picked a horrible engine to build the game on and have a moneygrubbing F2P system. It's not like there have been any great Star Wars games in awhile anyways.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I still have it on disc, no worries.

They've done an OKAY job with SWTOR, they just picked a horrible engine to build the game on and have a moneygrubbing F2P system. It's not like there have been any great Star Wars games in awhile anyways.[/QUOTE]

I'd still like to see another SP-based offline KOTOR, though...

I don't care if it's Obsidian or BioWare doing it...
{shrug}

EDIT:
[quote name='Jon7']This is actually very good news for anyone hoping to get another Battlefront.[/QUOTE]
Maybe DICE would do that on their Frostbite Engine...?

Will be interesting to see what Visceral and DICE come up w/ for SW-based games....

[quote name='Jon7']This is actually very good news for anyone hoping to get another Battlefront.[/QUOTE]
Very true. Hell, I'd settle for a Battlefront mod for Battlefield 3. Honestly, a new Battlefront that plays exactly like Battlefield 3, except in the Star Wars universe, would be orgasm worthy.

SOOOOO, I didn't pick up any Star Wars games over the weekend, but I headed down to the local thrift shop.

kqHtXSd.jpg

Yes that's the X-WING COLLECTION, INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, REBEL ASSAULT, REBEL ASSAULT 2, and the Rainbow Six expansion with the base game as well.

Cost:
FIVE AMERICAN US DOLLARS

[quote name='pantsattack']yes that's the x-wing collection, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, rebel assault, rebel assault 2, and the rainbow six expansion with the base game as well.[/quote]
Steam or GTFO!!!

I downloaded Avencast because it looked like a typical American nerdy magic game which I like and I haven't played one of those in a while, I don't care what the reviews say. I also got Just Cause but I don't feel like getting the 2nd one. These have become the 6th and 7th games of my Steam library (I removed a horrible horrible one) that are part of my "backlog" because I'm currently playing Final Fantasy III DS trying to get a perfect file.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, wasn't FF7 supposed to come to Steam sometime or were those just rumors?

[quote name='darkrun'] I also got Just Cause but I don't feel like getting the 2nd one. [/QUOTE]
The second one is the one you want, imo.

I'd recommend modding JC2 with two things:

1. Increased grapple range. This lets you get around quickly and you can often chain together zipping and parachuting around over massive amounts of the island at a time. The game's island is so big that getting around on land vehicles is a huge pain in the ass. Flying or boats are okay, but basically going full out Spiderman will get you around faster. And it's also a lot more fun.

2. Black market price nuke. The way the game saves is pretty goofy and you'll often need to reorder items constnantly as it won't save some stuff, and if you die, for instance, that DLC jetpack is gone. Spending 45 grand to reorder it constantly will put you out of money pretty fast. And besides, the game is all about the crazy expirementing and destruction you can do. This is pretty limited early in the game by your funds, so I'd just bypass it entirely.

I imagine most people who bought TF2 pre-F2P got it as part of the Orange Box.

[quote name='MysterD']I'd still like to see another SP-based offline KOTOR, though...
I don't care if it's Obsidian or BioWare doing it...
{shrug}

EDIT:

Maybe DICE would do that on their Frostbite Engine...?

Will be interesting to see what Visceral and DICE come up w/ for SW-based games....
[/QUOTE]

How about a nice SW-themed Farmville clone? :evil:

Obsidian hasn't managed to ruin relations with EA yet, let them churn out a bug ridden but awesome game for them while they still can.

[quote name='pantsattack']SOOOOO, I didn't pick up any Star Wars games over the weekend, but I headed down to the local thrift shop.

kqHtXSd.jpg

Yes that's the X-WING COLLECTION, INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, REBEL ASSAULT, REBEL ASSAULT 2, and the Rainbow Six expansion with the base game as well.

Cost:
FIVE AMERICAN US DOLLARS
[/QUOTE]

If this thread turns into something like the front page of r/gaming, so help me God....

[quote name='spoderman']Maybe I remembered wrong then, but yeah Portal is worthless now so not having an extra copy of it shouldn't be a decision maker for buying Orange Box.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']If this thread turns into something like the front page of r/gaming, so help me God....[/QUOTE]

Just wait till I start posting pics of my Atari 2600 and 5200s in their box. I also got about 30 games still in their boxes with manuals. ;)

i-need-about-tree-fiddy.jpg

[quote name='SandOfThym']Any of the Just Cause 2 DLCs worth getting? I have $0.60 in my steam wallet.[/QUOTE]
Yes, if you only get one, get the black market aerial pack. It comes with the Jet thrusters, a sweet fighter jet, and a multilock rocket launcher. If you purchase the jet thrusters, you can install mods which let you fire them continually and also increase their thrust power. Though pretty much any of the DLC you can have fun with.

Have any of you had crashing with just cause 2 on win 7 x64?

Mine will crash half an hour into gameplay or maybe three. Tried all the fixes, drivers, turning off motion blur. Still will crash randomly.

New Week Long Deals

Avencast: Rise of the Mage - 75% off @ $2.49
Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris - 75% off @ $1.24
Ankh 3: Battle of the Gods - 75% off @ $2.49
Jack Keane - 75% off @ $2.49
Special Forces: Team X - 67% off @ $4.99
Trainz Simulator 12 - 50% off @ $19.99
Trainz: Murchison 2 - 75% off @ $4.99
Trainz Settle and Carlisle - 75% off @ $4.99
Blue Toad Murder Files - 40% off @ $2.69
The Bridge - 33% off @ $10.04

This week has a nice selection of adventure games. Ankh series and Jack Keane has been cheaper during last winter sale at 80%. This is the cheapest price that Blue Toad Murder Files has ever been, it's normal price has dropped from $14.99 to $4.49.

[quote name='georgebot84']Have any of you had crashing with just cause 2 on win 7 x64?

Mine will crash half an hour into gameplay or maybe three. Tried all the fixes, drivers, turning off motion blur. Still will crash randomly.[/QUOTE]

No issues with about 6 hours time into JC2 on Win7 64

[quote name='georgebot84']Have any of you had crashing with just cause 2 on win 7 x64?

Mine will crash half an hour into gameplay or maybe three. Tried all the fixes, drivers, turning off motion blur. Still will crash randomly.[/QUOTE]

30 hours played, and maybe an occasional crash. Definitely not many.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']No I'm serious I was just hoping either this magicka would be on sale. Now hydrophobia would have made my week though.[/QUOTE]

None of those yet, but Serious Sam is on sale yet again, which is quickly reaching Magicka level of being on sale. And I'm betting a Sanctum sale is coming in a week or two since it has a sequel out.

Actually technically Magicka IS on sale, but it a freebie with the Showdown Effect deluxe version. So there you go Drabelincoln.

I'm assuming that 75% is as low as the NFS games go and that there isn't/won't be some pack of all 3 of them for cheaper etc?

Also, Ashes I'm sure you talked about them before but how are the NFS games? Minus Most Wanted which I might actually buy if EA got over themselves and let Steam sell the damned DLC so the game could be sold there.

[quote name='Rirse']Actually technically Magicka IS on sale, but it a freebie with the Showdown Effect deluxe version. So there you go Drabelincoln.[/QUOTE]

Magicka and Serious Sam both on sale? Wow that never happens. :roll:

My goodness! Serious Sam again?! SS is turning into the next Magicka.

[quote name='Rirse']None of those yet, but Serious Sam is on sale yet again, which is quickly reaching Magicka level of being on sale.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, I'm not the only one who notices this. :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']

Also, Ashes I'm sure you talked about them before but how are the NFS games? Minus Most Wanted which I might actually buy if EA got over themselves and let Steam sell the damned DLC so the game could be sold there.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of wondering how bad 'Undercover' is for $2.49

Someone from Double Fine tweeted earlier that fans are in for a fun day. After the speculation in this thread the other day I'd like to point out that Tuesday was Humble Weekly Sale day and that Indie Royale's last bundle ended early this morning after a 3 day extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back