The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Preedatore']Unless the entire Steam catalog goes 90% off, the regulars will criticize all sale items because they already have game x, and that in turn makes the sale a failure. Anyone posting in the thread otherwise will be admonished for their lack of knowledge on pcdd deals.[/QUOTE]
This man, newbies. This man right here.

[quote name='Preedatore']Unless the entire Steam catalog goes 90% off, the regulars will criticize all sale items because they already have game x, and that in turn makes the sale a failure. Anyone posting in the thread otherwise will be admonished for their lack of knowledge on pcdd deals.[/QUOTE]

So true!

[quote name='gilby']That's the one. I cannot access my account and, therefore, cannot access that bundle.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that's weird. I just clicked the "view orders" link in the email invoice, and it took me right to the page with all my keys. Maybe drop them an email?

And this is why:

30714483.jpg

You forgot:

Missing one game from a bundle
Bundle is cheaper than buying the game on its own

Or

Missing one game from a bundle
Don't get extra copies when buying the bundle

Well said. Pretty much sums up my feelings on this thread during every major sale.

Meh, with GG and GMG consistently doing games at 80% off (75% +20% discount/coupon) and with the Amazon bundles of last year early this year, Steam sales are going to suck in comparison unless they really do something good.

Humble and Indie Bundles have sucked any punch out of any Steam indie sales.

Add to that the fact the last two Steam sales have been mostly 50% off and made 75% off seem special and I think people have plenty reason to complain about Steam sales.

And yes, I am pre-complaining. Gotta get warmed up for mid July.

[quote name='spoderman']The lower FPS, the better. I like a challenge.[/QUOTE]
Wild framerates are annoying.
I don't wanna see a game running at say 30 frames, then next moment it's at 60 frames, few seconds later it's at 15 frames, then back to 30 frames, then it hits 40 frames, then it hits 10 frames, etc etc.

Frame-rate consistency is important - or else the game starts to run, feel, and play a little bit funny - whether it stutters, game feels faster/slower at times b/c of frames all over the place, or whatever. I certainly do notice this crap.

If it's a lower FPS (i.e. say 30 FPS), it better NOT stray ever far from that number of FPS...
It better STAY around 25-30 frames ballpark consistently.

EDIT:
Of course, always great to see a game cap-out at 60 FPS...and ALWAYS stay a few frames within that ballpark. Don't get much better than that, IMHO.

You guys are cracking me up. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next Steam sale if only because you know Valve's competitors will be bending over backwards to try and steal their business, and that's where I'll stock up. Last winter sale I only got Sleeping Dogs from Steam, and 30+ games from Amazon, GMG, GG, etc...

I like the extra challenge of 30 FPS and smearing vaseline on my monitor. When I'm out of vaseline, I can generally achieve the same effect by playing on a console.

[quote name='MysterD']Wild framerates are annoying.
I don't wanna see a game running at say 30 frames, then next moment it's at 60 frames, few seconds later it's at 15 frames, then back to 30 frames, then it hits 40 frames, then it hits 10 frames, etc etc.

Frame-rate consistency is important - or else the game starts to run, feel, and play a little bit funny - whether it stutters, game feels faster/slower at times b/c of frames all over the place, or whatever. I certainly do notice this crap.

If it's a lower FPS (i.e. say 30 FPS), it better NOT stray ever far from that number of FPS...
It better STAY around 25-30 frames ballpark consistently.

EDIT:
Of course, always great to see a game cap-out at 60 FPS...and ALWAYS stay a few frames within that ballpark. Don't get much better than that, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

so basically every game should have V-Sync:cool:

as far as Steam sales go, I'm looking forward to it simply because I will finally have a halfway decent computer to run them on. Have passed on pratically all the others because I was using an "already outdated in 2005" laptop, so I will definitely be picking up a lot. That said I'm sticking to single games >$3, and bundles >$5. Hopefully I won't go to overboard this way:whee:

[quote name='asheskitty']
37650089.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Well, I think everybody has different rates for certain games.

Given I've spent well over 100 hours w/ just the Skyrim base game on my first and only playthrough, so far - that might be one of the few games buying DLC at less than 75% off might not bother me too much. Also, it's not like the game has copious amounts of DLC like some other games do (see SR: The Third, Dawn of War 2: Retribution, and Borderlands 2), either.

Of course, I ain't bought any of the DLC b/c I just ain't finished the main quest for the Skyrim base game! I think if I did finish the main quest, I actually might break on buying DLC at (what I would consider as) "the right price" - and want and need more Skyrum. But, I haven't - so, I might as well wait it out for some major price-drops, for now, b/c it'd be backloggable...

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']so basically every game should have V-Sync:cool:[/quote]
YES!

And if I have to and want to keep the framerate stable - I'll go to my NVidia Control Panel and force VSync on, if I have to...
Hopefully, the game don't have some issues w/ me forcing VSync ON via the NVidia Control Panel -- especially if it's an older game w/out built-in force framerate caps, without framerate cap options, and/or without VSync option.

[quote name='MysterD']We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)[/QUOTE]

This should so be the slogan for us here at CheapAssGamer.

Borderless window + no V-Sync = the best option.

I can run L4D2 at 100+ FPS stable, and trust me, it looks better than 60 FPS V-Sync. Honestly only certain games need V-Sync.

[quote name='asheskitty']Yet you finished RRU... that doesn't make sense...

Keep an eye out for Spy Hunter 2001. I'm not sure how well it's held up though, decently I'd imagine.[/QUOTE]

Major difference b/t NFS: Undercover and RRU - I really dug the hell out of RRU. NFS: Undercover didn't feel like much of an improvement or change over NFS: Most Wanted 2005, whereas I never played a racing game as destructive RR game before.
Probably helped that I still ain't touched Split/Second yet, either - even though I've had that on my backlog (from Retail on disc!) for some time.

Even when RRU was absolutely kicking my butt at times, I just couldn't stop coming back for more and more and more. It kept dangling a certain carrot (Achievements, Unlocking New Areas, Unlocking More Challenges in an Area, Unlock More Cars, getting closer to Level-Up, etc etc) to make me keep trying and not give up.

Actually, that sounds like some other game I play here & there - Dark Souls. Except, well - I am absolutely terribly horrible at Dark Souls. The carrot that Dark Souls game dangles is: "I want to level-up; I want that satisfaction of beating a boss; and I need to go right now and get all those Lost Souls back!".

{shrug}

EDIT:
[quote name='msdmoney']Good catch, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs are both $25 now. Hopefully that will be combined soon with a steam/amazon/gmg sale and a complete pack.[/QUOTE]
If only Watch Dogs was $25. ;)

[quote name='razorracer83']This should so be the slogan for us here at CheapAssGamer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!
Glad someone liked it.
I think it'll make a good signature for me. :D

Hey everyone, just a quick note about Enhanced Steam. I've updated the Google Chrome version to 3.1 and it adds a TON of new changes. I've been working with Valve to get the detection process sped up, and they've added a few things to their API that deliver just that.

Enhanced Steam also now has "tags" that you can configure. Basically it's like highlighting, but each item can have multiple tags.

Enhanced Steam also adds back the text blurb on the home page, correctly highlights/tags search results and drop downs, has a new price history back end, integration with SteamDB.info, and the list goes on.

If you already have it installed it should update automatically. If not, check out the link in my sig. :)

Thanks everyone!

[quote name='jshackles']Hey everyone, just a quick note about Enhanced Steam. I've updated the Google Chrome version to 3.1 and it adds a TON of new changes. I've been working with Valve to get the detection process sped up, and they've added a few things to their API that deliver just that.

Enhanced Steam also now has "tags" that you can configure. Basically it's like highlighting, but each item can have multiple tags.

Enhanced Steam also adds back the text blurb on the home page, correctly highlights/tags search results and drop downs, has a new price history back end, integration with SteamDB.info, and the list goes on.

If you already have it installed it should update automatically. If not, check out the link in my sig. :)

Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

Way to go! Thanks for the great extension!

Just finished watching GB's quick look of sanctum 2. weird thing is when i looked it up on steam there is no listing for it at all, not even in the coming soon section. anyways, sequel has coop, which means there will probably be a 4 pack. if anyone wants to host, let me know, thanks.

[quote name='shrinerr']Just finished watching GB's quick look of sanctum 2. weird thing is when i looked it up on steam there is no listing for it at all, not even in the coming soon section. anyways, sequel has coop, which means there will probably be a 4 pack. if anyone wants to host, let me know, thanks.[/QUOTE]

The original game had co-op.

I'm not sure why the PR guy in the quick look acted like it was new. He's not with the dev, though, just handling the marketing, so maybe he was just confused by the new co-op classes in Sanctum 2 and assumed the first game lacked co-op altogether.

[quote name='jshackles']Hey everyone, just a quick note about Enhanced Steam. I've updated the Google Chrome version to 3.1 and it adds a TON of new changes. I've been working with Valve to get the detection process sped up, and they've added a few things to their API that deliver just that.

Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

Never new you were the one that updated Enhanced Steam, nice work:applause: Really like how you can just see the lowest price on the store page now instead of clicking through. Really great extension, keep up the great work!

[quote name='soulkyo']Way to go! Thanks for the great extension![/QUOTE]

No problem! Thank you all for the support and spreading the word!

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Never new you were the one that updated Enhanced Steam, nice work:applause: Really like how you can just see the lowest price on the store page now instead of clicking through. Really great extension, keep up the great work![/QUOTE]

Yep, that's me! FYI the pricing region can be changed in the options so if you're not in the US. :cool:

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Never new you were the one that updated Enhanced Steam, nice work:applause: Really like how you can just see the lowest price on the store page now instead of clicking through. Really great extension, keep up the great work![/QUOTE]
ikr? Who knew that Ronon Dex was the mastermind behind it all.

[quote name='AngryNerdJosh']Is the serious Sam series worth $18? It always seemed cool but I may pass unless its amazing[/QUOTE]

In my opinion: yes.

[quote name='AngryNerdJosh']Is the serious Sam series worth $18? It always seemed cool but I may pass unless its amazing[/QUOTE]

You would have to be really into Serious Sam to play through that many Serious Sam games.

They're quite similar and are very simple, old-school run backwards and shoot FPS games.

Second Encounter HD is probably all you really need.

not really, every one of them plays exactly the same with upgraded graphics.

Amazon had the entire Sam franchise for $10 shortly before the major holiday sales started. Wouldn't be surprised to see that deal again in the future. Also agree that the games are fundamentally the same.

[quote name='Mooby']Amazon had the entire Sam franchise for $10 shortly before the major holiday sales started. Wouldn't be surprised to see that deal again in the future. Also agree that the games are fundamentally the same.[/QUOTE]

Im selling it for $11 as a steam gift, in case anyone is thinking of grabbing it

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']so basically every game should have V-Sync:cool:

as far as Steam sales go, I'm looking forward to it simply because I will finally have a halfway decent computer to run them on. Have passed on pratically all the others because I was using an "already outdated in 2005" laptop, so I will definitely be picking up a lot. That said I'm sticking to single games >$3, and bundles >$5. Hopefully I won't go to overboard this way:whee:[/QUOTE]
you sure you got the right signs there?
think you might wanna flip them ;)

[quote name='MysterD']YES!

And if I have to and want to keep the framerate stable - I'll go to my NVidia Control Panel and force VSync on, if I have to...
Hopefully, the game don't have some issues w/ me forcing VSync ON via the NVidia Control Panel -- especially if it's an older game w/out built-in force framerate caps, without framerate cap options, and/or without VSync option.[/QUOTE]

VSYNC fucks some games up, causing increased input lag..

Then again, you have a point. I'm going to play all of my games capped at a low FPS with VSYNC on so that I'll have more input lag.. for the challenge ;)

[quote name='spoderman']VSYNC fucks some games up, causing increased input lag..

Then again, you have a point. I'm going to play all of my games capped at a low FPS with VSYNC on so that I'll have more input lag.. for the challenge ;)[/QUOTE]

You should try using your feet to play instead of your hands too, I mean if you really want a challenge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back