The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
New "Indie Gamer Mini Bundle" over at Mac App Deals is live.

https://exclusives.macappdeals.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-gamer-bundle

$1+ gets you:
iBomber Defense
Aztaka
The Journey Down: Chapter 1

BTA (about $5 currently):
Cubemen
SpaceChem
Blades of Time

All are DRM-free + Steam (except for Blades of Time, which requires Steam)

I don't think the Steam version of Aztaka has been bundled before, and I haven't seen iBomber Defense in a bundle (the other iBomber games have been in one though), nor has Blades of Time. Cubemen and The Journey down were in an Indie Royale, and Spacechem has been in a few bundles IIRC.

Pretty good deal if you don't have Blades of Time.

[quote name='spoderman']New "Indie Gamer Mini Bundle" over at Mac App Deals is live.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I jumped in for Aztaka too (which, at first sight, I read as "Azkend"): I recall playing the demo and being surprisingly struck by animations and general concept... I'm a sucker for all things Metroidvania :)

Is Blades of Time really that good? Saying that the first one was awful is like praising it, but I read some positive comments about this (spiritual?) sequel. Guess I'll discover myself upon arriving at home, maybe my missus will also appreciate it since she seems to like action games a-la Bayonetta/Devil May Cry...

[quote name='Junpei']Thanks for the heads up, I jumped in for Aztaka too (which, at first sight, I read as "Azkend"): I recall playing the demo and being surprisingly struck by animations and general concept... I'm a sucker for all things Metroidvania :)

Is Blades of Time really that good? Saying that the first one was awful is like praising it, but I read some positive comments about this (spiritual?) sequel. Guess I'll discover myself upon arriving at home, maybe my missus will also appreciate it since she seems to like action games a-la Bayonetta/Devil May Cry...[/QUOTE]

Blades of Time is worth $5 for sure. It's a great looking game, and the gameplay is decent. Nothing amazing or anything, but to get it in a bundle for $5 is a very good deal IMO, especially if you dont have some of the other games included.

I think I paid about $7.49 for Blades of Time last year and didn't regret it. If you like the genre, you'll probably enjoy it.

In for $1 aztaka... it's been on my wishlist for quite some time now and I refused to buy it during the steam sales at $2.50. Good thing I held out!

Took the chance to try out iBomber Defense, as I got both iBomber Defense Pacific and iBomber Attack from other bundles... it's just me or is it tough as nails? I'm no newbie to the tower defense genre, but the game seems much more unforgiving than many others, also due to the fact that you cannot rewind to the beginning of a wave or a checkpoint anytime you want... and that's a plus in my book! :D
Love its polished looks and focused approach, which doesn't choke you with tons of (mostly useless) towers and upgrades but centers on a little battery of iconic ones that you must exploit to the best of your skills.
It's been chosen immediately as my favourite time-sinker for many days to come! :applause:

[quote name='shivan128']In for $1 aztaka... it's been on my wishlist for quite some time now and I refused to buy it during the steam sales at $2.50. Good thing I held out![/QUOTE]

Yeah! That 1.50 you saved will really give you extra cash to spend on the grocery's, you might even get a bottle of pop for that!

[quote name='spoderman']New "Indie Gamer Mini Bundle" over at Mac App Deals is live.

http://exclusives.macappdeals.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-gamer-bundle

$1+ gets you:
iBomber Defense
Aztaka
The Journey Down: Chapter 1

BTA (about $5 currently):
Cubemen
SpaceChem
Blades of Time

All are DRM-free + Steam (except for Blades of Time, which requires Steam)

I don't think the Steam version of Aztaka has been bundled before, and I haven't seen iBomber Defense in a bundle (the other iBomber games have been in one though), nor has Blades of Time. Cubemen and The Journey down were in an Indie Royale, and Spacechem has been in a few bundles IIRC.

Pretty good deal if you don't have Blades of Time.
[/QUOTE]

They made a tactical mistake putting Aztaka in the $1 tier. Cubeman & Aztaka should have been in each others' spot. As it is, the $1 tier is offering the best value. Therefore people appear to be opting for that tier, and it's driving down the average.

I expect to be able to pick up the BTA tier for about $4.00 in about an hour.

[quote name='The End']They made a tactical mistake putting Aztaka in the $1 tier. Cubeman & Aztaka should have been in each others' spot. As it is, the $1 tier is offering the best value. Therefore people appear to be opting for that tier, and it's driving down the average.

I expect to be able to pick up the BTA tier for about $4.00 in about an hour.[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough, I actually don't have Cubemen but I have Aztaka so I would have opted for the $1 level if Cubemen were in it but I can't justify the $4 level for it.

I don't have iBomber Defense either (I just have the Pacific one) but I don't want it enough to pay $1 by itself. Yes I am that cheap.

If the bta plummets I might go for it knowing that I have everything in this bundle but Cubemen and iBomber, but otherwise I will pass.

I guess I could always sell the rest but I don't feel like dealing with that mess.

Ah the decisions a cheapass bundle buyer has to agonize over. :lol:

[quote name='The End']They made a tactical mistake putting Aztaka in the $1 tier. Cubeman & Aztaka should have been in each others' spot. As it is, the $1 tier is offering the best value. Therefore people appear to be opting for that tier, and it's driving down the average.

I expect to be able to pick up the BTA tier for about $4.00 in about an hour.[/QUOTE]

I actually think the BTA tier has the most value. Blades of Time is worth $5 alone. If I didn't already have it I would've BTA. I paid $1 to get Aztaka and iBomber Defense. If Aztaka were in the BTA I probably wouldn't have bought it.

[quote name='spoderman']I actually think the $5 tier has the most value. Blades of Time is worth $5 alone. If I didn't already have it I would've BTA. I paid $1 to get Aztaka and iBomber Defense.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts/situation exactly.

[quote name='spoderman']I actually think the BTA tier has the most value. Blades of Time is worth $5 alone. If I didn't already have it I would've BTA. I paid $1 to get Aztaka and iBomber Defense. If Aztaka were in the BTA I probably wouldn't have bought it.[/QUOTE]

Well, we apparently have differing opinions on the value of Blades of Time. But that's fine. We can agree to disagree on that one.

Could you do me a favor though? Since you bought the $1 tier, could you check & see if it's possible to increase your payment to unlock the higher tier? And if so, are you asked to beat the average at the time of purchase, or the current average?

[quote name='The End']Well we apparently have differing opinions on the value of Blades of Time. But that's fine. We can agree to disagree on that one.

Could you do me a favor though? Since you bought the $1 tier, could you check & see if it's possible to increase your payment to unlock the higher tier? And if so, are you asked to beat the average at the time of purchase, or the current average?[/QUOTE]

I checked and I don't think it's possible to increase your payment after purchasing. Couldn't find anything that lets you do it.

OK, thanks.

Is it possible to buy more than one copy of the bundle, as far as you can tell? If so, we should prepare to get flooded with Aztaka keys on SteamGifts.

[quote name='The End']OK, thanks.

Is it possible to buy more than one copy of the bundle, as far as you can tell? If so, we should prepare to get flooded with Aztaka keys on SteamGifts.[/QUOTE]

It looks like I can buy more copies on one account, so there shouldnt be any issues with that. If not, you can always make a new account and buy it that way.

[quote name='spoderman']It looks like I can buy more copies on one account, so there shouldnt be any issues with that. If not, you can always make a new account and buy it that way.[/QUOTE]

Alright. thanks again.

[quote name='Detruire']Has that ref link earned you any credit? If their claims are accurate, you should have enough to buy a load of bundles.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, I tried to edit that out before I posted. I guess I accidentally edited the text for the link rather than the actual link though, which was dumb. Didn't mean to post the referral link lol, it's not even my referral link lmao (originally got the link from someone on GOG). Anyway, I've edited it out (correctly, now).

[quote name='TheLongshot']I thought I heard that Aztaka kinda sucked.[/QUOTE]

There's a demo you can try to see if it clicks: it's basically a sidescrolling platformer with light RPG elements (stats, skills, different items to equip, etc.). Personally, I enjoyed the demo, and the few reviews I read around were fairly positive (the last one I linked by GameBanshee is the most critical).

[quote name='spoderman']Believe it or not, I tried to edit that out before I posted. I guess I accidentally edited the text for the link rather than the actual link though, which was dumb. Didn't mean to post the referral link lol, it's not even my referral link lmao (originally got the link from someone on GOG). Anyway, I've edited it out (correctly, now).[/QUOTE]

Aww, I was expecting a forum giveaway of a bunch of bundles. ;)

[quote name='spoderman']Believe it or not, I tried to edit that out before I posted. I guess I accidentally edited the text for the link rather than the actual link though, which was dumb. Didn't mean to post the referral link lol, it's not even my referral link lmao (originally got the link from someone on GOG). Anyway, I've edited it out (correctly, now).[/QUOTE]

Well I just inserted my referral link in my quote of your post. I'm gonna be rich.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Hate to burst your bubble, but they played great on my crappy old Dell with integrated graphics.[/QUOTE]

:(

Well, I guess then I needed this expensive rig to play...Warlock, Master of the Arcane. Which cost me $4.

Something doesn't add up here.

I mentioned this in the Gamersgate thread but figured some might not look there so I'd repost it here.

Saints Row 2 (redeems on Steam) is 75% off at Gamersgate UK at £1.74 so about $2.60 or 2600 blue coins.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SAINTS2/saints-row-2

If you have the 20% Bethesda OOPS! discount (google Gamersgate and Bethesda bundle if you don't know what I am talking about but suffice it to say if you don't know you don't have it) then it comes down to $2.08 or 2080 blue coins.

It's cheaper on the UK site than the US one in this case. I'd suggest using Blue Coins to avoid any potential currency conversion fees. You can buy Blue Coins (do it on the US site if you are using USD) in as little as 1000 or $1 increments. Also keep in mind you do get 50 Blue Coins for each star rating you give to a game so if you own any GG games that you haven't given a star rating to yet go through and do that for all of them.

With Saints Row 2 I hear it's highly advisable to use the Gentlemen of the Row mod as it provides a lot of fixes.

Picked up a few of the new bundles: Groupees and the MacApp bundle thing. I had a few donations people generously bestowed upon me for Enhanced Steam (Thank You!) that I typically use to pick these kinds of things up now.

I've been playing through the new Tomb Raider - and I have to say I'm very impressed. I'm almost finished with it though, having almost 100% of all of the relics, documents, and GPS caches, so I'll probably be moving on to a new game soon. Any suggestions from the community?

[quote name='jshackles']Picked up a few of the new bundles: Groupees and the MacApp bundle thing. I had a few donations people generously bestowed upon me for Enhanced Steam (Thank You!) that I typically use to pick these kinds of things up now.

I've been playing through the new Tomb Raider - and I have to say I'm very impressed. I'm almost finished with it though, having almost 100% of all of the relics, documents, and GPS caches, so I'll probably be moving on to a new game soon. Any suggestions from the community?[/QUOTE]

Is there much crap early unlock type DLC? I know there was talk of some floating around as part of a sort of bonus game/hunt thing on Amazon around the time the game came out.

After all of that sort of crap with Sleeping Dogs and even a little bit of it with Hitman Absolution I kind of don't trust Squeidos not to DLC cheat the hell out of all their games now.

[quote name='Motoki']Is there much crap early unlock type DLC? I know there was talk of some floating around as part of a sort of bonus game/hunt thing on Amazon around the time the game came out.

After all of that sort of crap with Sleeping Dogs and even a little bit of it with Hitman Absolution I kind of don't trust Squeidos not to DLC cheat the hell out of all their games now.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of with you on this one. I decided that I'd just play through the game completely sans DLC. There currently isn't any DLC listed on Steam besides what comes in their "survival edition" (gorilla suit? guns from Hitman? wtf?)

For the pre-order bonus they touted some sort of map pack, but I think that's for multiplayer only, which I have no interest in personally. After playing through about 95% of the single player story, I'm not sure exactly what kind of single player DLC they could release that would add anything that isn't already there.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on F1 2010 vs 2011 and 2012 because at getgamesgo they are $6.24/10.19/13.59 respectively and on sale, if there isn't much difference I'm thinking the first is a good deal no? I don't think the first has ever been that cheap.
http://getgamesgo.com/specialoffers
here is the link thanks in advance for your input whoever responds.

EDIT: TO be clear they all activate on Steam so I hope this is the right place to ask.

[quote name='monkeyz']I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on F1 2010 vs 2011 and 2012 because at getgamesgo they are $6.24/10.19/13.59 respectively and on sale, if there isn't much difference I'm thinking the first is a good deal no? I don't think the first has ever been that cheap.
http://getgamesgo.com/specialoffers
here is the link thanks in advance for your input whoever responds.

EDIT: TO be clear they all activate on Steam so I hope this is the right place to ask.[/QUOTE]
F1 2012 is $8.5 (before screw up discount) on GG.

[quote name='Motoki']Is there much crap early unlock type DLC? I know there was talk of some floating around as part of a sort of bonus game/hunt thing on Amazon around the time the game came out.

After all of that sort of crap with Sleeping Dogs and even a little bit of it with Hitman Absolution I kind of don't trust Squeidos not to DLC cheat the hell out of all their games now.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Sleeping Dogs, I just started playing it the other night and holy crap is it amazing. I'm sure many here have played it already, but if it's in your backlog I'd say it's definitely worth bumping up. I can't believe I only paid five bucks for it.

[quote name='Detruire']F1 2012 is $8.5 (before screw up discount) on GG.[/QUOTE]

That looks like a great deal, my only question is it region locked in any capacity?

[quote name='monkeyz']That looks like a great deal, my only question is it region locked in any capacity?[/QUOTE]

*Edit: No region locks for me on F1 2012 from GG UK redeeming to Steam as a US based user. I just bought and activated with no problems.

I'm going to say probably not. I got Rise of the Argonauts also by Codemasters and also a Steam key from the Gamersgate UK site and had no issues redeeming it and playing it. I'm in the US for reference.

[quote name='monkeyz']That looks like a great deal, my only question is it region locked in any capacity?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so (I haven't read about Codemasters games being region locked any time recently), but I don't know for sure. I'd be game to try it myself, but I'm not willing to buy it without the 20% discount... which I don't have.

[quote name='Motoki']I'm going to say probably not. I got Rise of the Argonauts also by Codemasters and also a Steam key from the Gamersgate UK site and had no issues redeeming it and playing it. I'm in the US for reference.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Detruire']I don't think so (I haven't read about Codemasters games being region locked any time recently), but I don't know for sure.[/QUOTE]

Thank you both so much for responding perhaps I'll just pick up the newest one then seeing as how it is only an extra two dollars.

[quote name='jshackles']I'm kind of with you on this one. I decided that I'd just play through the game completely sans DLC. There currently isn't any DLC listed on Steam besides what comes in their "survival edition" (gorilla suit? guns from Hitman? wtf?)[/QUOTE]

No Jansen's armor or Kill Bill lookalike jumpsuit? Very strange, especially for a game with a multiplayer component... they must be helding back :lol:

But, as much as I despise this kind of approach to in game purchases, I like how they organised the story DLCs in Sleeping Dogs as separate campaigns rather than bits of gameplay shoehorned into the main story. It's the closer thing to what was called an "expansion" before this gen, meant as something that "expands" a game after its natural conclusion.
Of course, both Nightmare in North Point and, I presume, The Year of the Snake don't require you to complete the main story first and you can start directly with them (and spoiler yourself to death) if you wish so, but I prefer this method by far even if only from a consistency standpoint :)

[quote name='Junpei']
But, as much as I despise this kind of approach to in game purchases, I like how they organised the story DLCs in Sleeping Dogs as separate campaigns rather than bits of gameplay shoehorned into the main story. It's the closer thing to what was called an "expansion" before this gen, meant as something that "expands" a game after its natural conclusion.
[/QUOTE]

As someone who's almost finished the single player campaign, I probably wouldn't buy any DLC that adds something to the existing story. But if they added a different story or "after story" I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

ALSO, it looks like more Steam files have updated for Final Fantasy VII. See here which is the EULA. Pretty standard, and calls it "[REMASTERED] FINAL FANTASY VII".

Additionally, there are some files updating for the game Sudeki and an "official group" which can be found here.

[quote name='Junpei']No Jansen's armor or Kill Bill lookalike jumpsuit? Very strange, especially for a game with a multiplayer component... they must be helding back :lol:

Of course, both Nightmare in North Point and, I presume, The Year of the Snake don't require you to complete the main story first and you can start directly with them (and spoiler yourself to death) if you wish so, but I prefer this method by far even if only from a consistency standpoint :)[/QUOTE]

I agree and that's why I haven't minded the SD DLC as much, though I still dislike DLC in general, the way they have done it is as best as you can IMO. I'd say the same thing for SEV2 in that the DLC is just one off missions not intertwined with the storyline.

[quote name='jshackles']But if they added a different story or "after story" I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what they did and what I meant: Nightmare in North Point is an horror themed "what if" while The Year of The Snake is an extra story which takes place immediately after the main game's ending.

[quote name='Junpei']That's exactly what they did and what I meant: Nightmare in North Point is an horror themed "what if" while The Year of The Snake is an extra story which takes place immediately after the main game's ending.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I meant too :lol: If they follow suit with Tomb Raider and release content like that, I'll probably be buying it day one.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']
[/QUOTE]

I already own SpaceChem, but... the Journey Karaoke Pack for Sleeping Dogs??? Now the ladies will SWARM around my Wei after hearing his Don't Stop Believing cover! It was about time, thank you!!! :applause:

[quote name='jshackles']That's exactly what I meant too :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry, I thought we were still talking about Sleeping Dogs :D
And yes, I'm with you, now I'll wait for Tomb Raider to get a sweet discount... :cool:

[quote name='Junpei']I already own SpaceChem, but... the Journey Karaoke Pack for Sleeping Dogs??? Now the ladies will SWARM around my Wei after hearing his Don't Stop Believing cover! It was about time, thank you!!! :applause:[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Okay so F1 2012 for the GG UK site I can now confirm definitely redeems on Steam with no region locks or issues at least in the US and I assume everywhere.

I would have reported sooner but the whole 10 minute waiting period thing... :roll:

I think this price is a mistake. I believe it's meant to be 66% off like the US site is.

If you don't have the Bethesda discount then you can still at least use eldergeek.com for another 5% off. That worked for me. It doesn't work on Blue Coins anymore though just on actual game purchases.

[quote name='Junpei']That's exactly what they did and what I meant: Nightmare in North Point is an horror themed "what if" while The Year of The Snake is an extra story which takes place immediately after the main game's ending.[/QUOTE]

Can Nightmare in North Point be accessed from the main game?

Even 'though it doesn't really tie in with the story, having to access it through the menu (or completely separately like with that Deus Ex DLC) is less than ideal imo.

[quote name='Junpei']
Oh, sorry, I thought we were still talking about Sleeping Dogs :D
And yes, I'm with you, now I'll wait for Tomb Raider to get a sweet discount... :cool:[/QUOTE]

No problem man. :)

You might check the Steam buy/sale/trade thread. I assume that since AMD is giving it away with new graphics cards (that's how I got my copy) that there are probably some fairly cheap keys floating around. Or at least there will be once Newegg has their inevitable fuck up selling the keys separately without the graphics card for $0.01 each.

[quote name='Flowette']You might struggle to find a UK CAG with the OOPS! GamersGate discount. Most of us were asleep when it all kicked off :lol:[/QUOTE]

AFAIK any CAG with the discount can do it - the UK site isn't region locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back