The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EarthBoundX5']EDIT: And in replying to posts, I forgot the whole reason for coming to the thread. I am sometimes completely oblivious, and in the even other CAGs here are as well, I'd like to share what I learned quite late to the party I can only assume...After reading the description of this Postal 2 steamgift, I learned that previous Groupees Be Mine 3 bundle buyers got Steam codes for Postal 2 as well... You can get your's here if anyone was in the dark about this like I was...

https://secure.desura.com/cart/cdkeys
^Find the game, click "Request Key", redeem on Steam, and done!
[/QUOTE]

Cheers for this! I'm starting to suffer from Sloppy-Key-Tracking syndrome.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just FYI, La Mulana is a masterpiece. It's everything good about indie gaming, except that it is such a daunting undertaking that those that finish it will be a slim minority of those that actually play it.

But I think even tasting such masterwork is worth the price of admission. It's not a pile of instant-kills and identical rolling/circle-strafing combat like Dark Souls. You can actually take quite a bit of punishment and escape quite easily, but you are waging campaigns against daunting, enormous, puzzle-filled levels. It's just a fantastic piece of work.[/QUOTE]

I was just looking for my next platformer to play and your post made me install it. Played about 30 minutes so far and trying to get used to the jumping & whip cracking. From the little I've played and from what I've read, it looks hard as nails. I'm not sure I'll have the patience and time for this game at my age but I'll persevere for now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Key drop for Night sky: 9KP8P-6TPRX-ZJNNW

Ended up biting on Antichamber at 40% off. With all the talk of Bioshock preordering I just had to buy myself something, but I definitely don't have the time for Bioshock + Xcom right now, so I decided to go for the indie game I've been dying to get since it was released.

So who do I turn my CAG card into?

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Key drop for Night sky: 9KP8P-6TPRX-ZJNNW

Ended up biting on Antichamber at 40% off. With all the talk of Bioshock preordering I just had to buy myself something, but I definitely don't have the time for Bioshock + Xcom right now, so I decided to go for the indie game I've been dying to get since it was released.

So who do I turn my CAG card into?[/QUOTE]

Buy the games you want when you want to play them at a price you're comfortable with. You'll only be ridiculed if it shows up in a bundle tomorrow morning (which I fully expect since you announced it to the world) or if you paid that to add it to your backlog.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Key drop for Night sky: 9KP8P-6TPRX-ZJNNW

Read that as Nights into Dreams...and had a mini heart attack.

Anyways. The prices on alot of this Indie Steam is disappointing. Considering the influx of bundles etc. and well its just not deep enough in tons of instances. imohho
Thanks for clearing up the placement question.

Take Anodyne for example. Was 1$ a couple weeks ago when they did that TBP promo. Now on sale its ~6$. Disappoint.g

[quote name='Jugglenaut']

Ended up biting on Antichamber at 40% off.

Interested in Antichamber but I can't bring myself to pay more than $5 for it.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have few steam codes from Desura and I'm not sure if I already redeemed them or had the games from an earlier purchase. I'll post them in case they are good, but it would be really cool if the person who redeems them could post and say whether they worked or not. ;-).

Shattered Horizon IPG0J-7DBPC-60E8Z

Serious Sam 2 XY7MC-ZENF3-KTLLK

[quote name='Woodlands']My first Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy. There was no number, because there was only one at time. Sometimes this forum makes me feel really old.[/QUOTE]

Cheers mate. I feel so much younger already. :lol:

[quote name='plft']I know there was a mention of Dust: An Elysian Tail this past week during the Castlevania talk, and I just read that it's coming to steam soon.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic game and gorgeous to boot. Some difficulty issues have kept me from completing it, as I'm not super great at hack 'n slash and some difficulty spikes make progress occasionally troublesome. But I wholeheartedly recommend it. Don't let the artstyle throw you; it deals with some heavy themes. At their PAX panel they cited darker animated movies like Secret of Nimh and Watership Down as inspiration for the juxtaposition of style v. substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Fantastic game and gorgeous to boot. Some difficulty issues have kept me from completing it, as I'm not super great at hack 'n slash and some difficulty spikes make progress occasionally troublesome. But I wholeheartedly recommend it. Don't let the artstyle throw you; it deals with some heavy themes. At their PAX panel they cited darker animated movies like Secret of Nimh and Watership Down as inspiration for the juxtaposition of style v. substance.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all points. Already played on 360 but will gladly buy it on Steam too.

I just wish we could get every good PSN/XBLA exclusive game up in here. There are still way too many digital gems trapped on the consoleboxes.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Agreed on all points. Already played on 360 but will gladly buy it on Steam too.

I just wish we could get every good PSN/XBLA exclusive game up in here. There are still way too many digital gems trapped on the consoleboxes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, especially given the known certainty with the PS4 (and high probability with Durango) that there won't be any backwards compatibility. It's a shame to think of gems like Journey being lost to the sands of shifting technology, soon to become the Ozymandias of digitally distributed games.

Thankfully, with Steam drawing all the big indies from the quickly festering corpse of XBLA, longevity won't be as big an issue going forward. Double-dipping on Dust for that reason: I want to play my good games again after I've stowed the latest gen of hardware to the storage racks.

[quote name='dfg']Cheers for this! I'm starting to suffer from Sloppy-Key-Tracking syndrome.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='wageslave']I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have few steam codes from Desura and I'm not sure if I already redeemed them or had the games from an earlier purchase. I'll post them in case they are good, but it would be really cool if the person who redeems them could post and say whether they worked or not. ;-).[/QUOTE]
Glad my ignorance was shared, I feel so warm inside

[quote name='Japakneez']Anyone pick up You Need A Budget? It's 66% off... Roughly $20. Seems to be popular.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227320/[/QUOTE]
When ya are short on cash and gotta learn to budget, the obvious solution is to spend more on a solution that you have on the problem :lol:

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']When ya are short on cash and gotta learn to budget, the obvious solution is to spend more on a solution that you have on the problem :lol:[/QUOTE]
lol this is exactly what i was thinking.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Yeah, especially given the known certainty with the PS4 (and high probability with Durango) that there won't be any backwards compatibility. It's a shame to think of gems like Journey being lost to the sands of shifting technology, soon to become the Ozymandias of digitally distributed games.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of console "arcade" games ported to Android for the OUYA.

Just bought Dark Souls 2 Prepare to Die on Steam because of the 50% off sale price, but after downloading and clicking on it i get an error message saying "failed to contact key server".....

Anybody know whats going on? Feels like i got ripped off :(

[quote name='rieper']Just bought Dark Souls 2 Prepare to Die on Steam because of the 50% off sale price, but after downloading and clicking on it i get an error message saying "failed to contact key server".....

Anybody know whats going on? Feels like i got ripped off :([/QUOTE]

That usually means they've run out of keys. Once they get more in things will work fine.

Edit: There's a warning on the store page that says they're currently out of keys. http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

[quote name='wageslave']I'll post them in case they are good, but it would be really cool if the person who redeems them could post and say whether they worked or not. ;-).

Serious Sam 2 XY7MC-ZENF3-KTLLK[/QUOTE]
SS2 was used (I expected it to be since you posted hours ago but thought I'd check since no one reported it).

Not sure if mentioned or not yet, but Kenshi's Gamersgate keys now activate on Steam. You have to be in the Steam Beta for whatever reason though. Indiefort number one, if you don't recall off the top of your head.

[quote name='rieper']Just bought Dark Souls 2 Prepare to Die on Steam because of the 50% off sale price, but after downloading and clicking on it i get an error message saying "failed to contact key server".....

Anybody know whats going on? Feels like i got ripped off :([/QUOTE]

You mean Dark Souls: Prepare To Die.

Dark Souls II is in development, currently.

[quote name='Corpekata']Not sure if mentioned or not yet, but Kenshi's Gamersgate keys now activate on Steam. You have to be in the Steam Beta for whatever reason though. Indiefort number one, if you don't recall off the top of your head.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for the info!

[quote name='Corpekata']Not sure if mentioned or not yet, but Kenshi's Gamersgate keys now activate on Steam. You have to be in the Steam Beta for whatever reason though. Indiefort number one, if you don't recall off the top of your head.[/QUOTE]

Is your activation code for Kenshi super long? Mines like 50 characters and Steam isn't accepting it. I'm not sure if I'm in the Steam beta. How does one get invited into it?

[quote name='stupidproz1']Is your activation code for Kenshi super long? Mines like 50 characters and Steam isn't accepting it. I'm not sure if I'm in the Steam beta. How does one get invited into it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's long. You get into the beta by hitting the steam tab in the top left, and then going to settings. There will be a beta participation section with a drop down menu.

[quote name='Japakneez']Anyone pick up You Need A Budget? It's 66% off... Roughly $20. Seems to be popular.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227320/[/QUOTE]

I picked it up last night. I've been really lazy with managing my money lately(10+ years now). I want a new motorcycle, so I figured spending 25 ($5 for the app) was worth it. It's probably worthless for people who are savvy with spreadsheets- not me. Easy to use and their ideas on budgeting are new to me. I'm happy with the purchase.

A couple more Borderlands 2 Shift codes released today. Not sure how long they're good for, so redeem them when you can.

KBWTT-SZJF5-SCF3J-BBJJ3-HTCHZ

K3KJT-6HRT5-BHRTT-3BBTJ-RBWJ9

Second one is in honor of Pax East & gives 3 keys.

[quote name='strdr4']How is Lone Survivor? it's on sale for 4.99. I am in the mood for a horror game :)[/QUOTE]
slow, clunky, too much eating. the writing isn't bad though, and i thought the soft yet pixely graphics worked.

Craziness. Its true. Steam non-beta will not accept the really long gamersgate key. Its like 4x as long as a normal key. Change to Steam beta and it accepts it no problem.

Think this might be a peek of the future of Steam accepting lots more keys? Side by Side Desura/Steam? Idk.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']
When ya are short on cash and gotta learn to budget, the obvious solution is to spend more on a solution that you have on the problem :lol:[/QUOTE]

LOL this - isn't that how Budget Planners make lots of money xD

OH yeah there's a new thread - finally got some time to post :) And when does CAG 3.0 happen?

PS - why are people buying Bioshock Infinite now? It's only going to go to 75% off eventually :) Or 90% if gamersgate have another glitch again...

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Craziness. Its true. Steam non-beta will not accept the really long gamersgate key. Its like 4x as long as a normal key. Change to Steam beta and it accepts it no problem.

Think this might be a peek of the future of Steam accepting lots more keys? Side by Side Desura/Steam? Idk.[/QUOTE]\
30887930.jpg

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']
When ya are short on cash and gotta learn to budget, the obvious solution is to spend more on a solution that you have on the problem :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I picked it up last night. I've been really lazy with managing my money lately(10+ years now). I want a new motorcycle, so I figured spending 25 ($5 for the app) was worth it. It's probably worthless for people who are savvy with spreadsheets- not me. Easy to use and their ideas on budgeting are new to me. I'm happy with the purchase.[/QUOTE]

I have been really irresponsible with my money and gotta get this under control. I still save alot every month but i'm doing dumb stuff like averaging $12 to $15 on lunch every workday :roll:. I just downloaded the trial...I have so many food expenses that it makes this an extremely tedious task to enter. I'll figure this out. I'm still on the fence about YNAB but it does look good.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Craziness. Its true. Steam non-beta will not accept the really long gamersgate key. Its like 4x as long as a normal key. Change to Steam beta and it accepts it no problem.[/QUOTE]

In the new beta client notes it says that one of the features it updated was the ability to accept more characters for key codes. ;) Makes sense why the beta would be required.

[quote name='Japakneez']I have been really irresponsible with my money and gotta get this under control. I still save alot every month but i'm doing dumb stuff like averaging $12 to $15 on lunch every workday :roll:. I just downloaded the trial...I have so many food expenses that it makes this an extremely tedious task to enter. I'll figure this out. I'm still on the fence about YNAB but it does look good.[/QUOTE]

Another (free) alternative is to use www.mint.com. You configure it with your bank account and it downloads your transaction history automatically and categorizes the historical information. Rather than putting in information for each transaction it will do it for you. Some people argue that this is Mint's downfall, as they say you usually have a better understanding of things if you're required to input the data yourself. It has budgets you can set and will even send you emails when you're close to going over or have gone over. It's owned by Intuit (the Turbo Tax folks) so it's fairly trustworthy. Just my $0.02

[quote name='strdr4']How is Lone Survivor? it's on sale for 4.99. I am in the mood for a horror game :)[/QUOTE]
$5 is much. There is some intriguing stealth-exploration light-combat gameplay and the writing is cute but if you are expecting some resolution don't bother. The endings are all wretched.

It's still better than Home which is just SH:SM without the chase scenes or puzzles or music or a plot to speak of.

I loved it, but I think 4.99 it's a bit much, I mean, it's a really REALLY cool game, but maybe it's better to wait for a 75% discount.

well.. it's hard to find the Humble Bundle key that has Lone Survivor for sale. if you find it, it's gonna be close to $5, so you'll get some other games too, but you won't really be saving much money if any.

it really should be on a better sale by now..

[quote name='Latex Robot']it really should be on a better sale by now..[/QUOTE]

I really hope the next Humble Bundle Store weekly sales will have some other games previously bundled available for a buck, so I'm eagerly waiting... and by "some other games" I mean Lone Survivor as well :bouncy:

[quote name='utopianmachine']I just played Bastion and loved the soundtrack. I'm sure I own it, but there's so much to go through, all those indie bundles....[/QUOTE]

I have Bastion: Soundtrack Ed (Bastion game + Soundtrack) from Gamersgate.
Awesome game.

EDIT:
BTW, Transistor looks pretty awesome. Looking forward to it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I just played Bastion and loved the soundtrack. I'm sure I own it, but there's so much to go through, all those indie bundles....[/QUOTE]

Also one of my favorite gaming soundtracks of all time! It was in Humble Bundle V as a BTA game that included the digital soundtrack. You can also currently still get the game, digital soundtrack, sheet music, art book, and Bastion ringtones on http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly this week. ;)

I just started playing Resident Evil 6, it is quite fun when you play co-op with a friend. I was thinking of playing it with a xbox 360 controller but the game works well with just the keyboard and mouse.

[quote name='iSerra']Today's daily deal :

50% off on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/[/QUOTE]

Tempting, just have to remind myself that I don't have time for it right now and at worst it'll be the same price during the summer sale, though hopefully cheaper. As much as I want to pick this up $10 still feels a bit steep just for Baldur's Gate. If it included a similarly enhanced sequel, then I don't think I could restrain myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back