The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
So Borderlands 2 has a new character coming out. The problem and this is seriously a problem for me is that he is not included in the Season pass. He is $10.

I mean what is the point of buying a Season Pass if you don't get all the important content to a game, just the DLC level packs.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So Borderlands 2 has a new character coming out. The problem and this is seriously a problem for me is that he is not included in the Season pass. He is $10.

I mean what is the point of buying a Season Pass if you don't get all the important content to a game, just the DLC level packs.[/QUOTE]
I somewhat agree with this. But since the season pass mentioned it only included the four level packs. I'm not to bothered that the new character won't be included.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Tempting, just have to remind myself that I don't have time for it right now and at worst it'll be the same price during the summer sale, though hopefully cheaper. [/QUOTE]

Good point. Thanks for talking me out of it.

[quote name='Terlan']I somewhat agree with this. But since the season pass mentioned it only included the four level packs. I'm not to bothered that the new character won't be included.[/QUOTE]

It was implied I felt that it would cover all of the DLC that they would make for the game.

I am going to pass on it probably myself (360 version) because I haven't even kept up with it since before the first DLC came out AND I actually own the Season Pass... haha oh my.

Actually I think they explicitly clarified the pass wouldn't contain every single bit of DLC. Anyhooo, I still haven't played after getting it for $5 from Bruticis then paying another $7.50 for the Season Pass from a GG glitch. Neither of the DLC characters look particularly interesting or unique... try as they might to portray them as radically different with skill trees and whatnot there isn't very much you can do in an FPS.

[quote name='Mooby']Actually I think they explicitly clarified the pass wouldn't contain every single bit of DLC.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they did.

EDIT:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So Borderlands 2 has a new character coming out. The problem and this is seriously a problem for me is that he is not included in the Season pass. He is $10.

I mean what is the point of buying a Season Pass if you don't get all the important content to a game, just the DLC level packs.[/QUOTE]
It's all about dev's & pub's trying to make more $; and the consumer constantly dealing out $ here & there as micro-transactions.

This is why some of us wait on games being around for a bit before we buy 'em. We wait for major price-drops on base game itself; its DLC's; Season Passes; Ultimate Packs (Base Game + ALL Expansions + ALL DLC's); etc.

Sometimes, it's just best to wait for the Ultimate Edition, after a game's been around and a company announces it's done w/ DLC for a specific game.

[quote name='BrolyB593']It was implied I felt that it would cover all of the DLC that they would make for the game.

I am going to pass on it probably myself (360 version) because I haven't even kept up with it since before the first DLC came out AND I actually own the Season Pass... haha oh my.[/QUOTE]
I knew the Season Pass was only for the four DLC packs but then again, I also believe that Season Passes should be all non cosmetic/gun DLC's they can give. I guess I am still used to the idea of buying expansion packs and getting the character classes included.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I knew the Season Pass was only for the four DLC packs but then again, I also believe that Season Passes should be all non cosmetic/gun DLC's they can give. I guess I am still used to the idea of buying expansion packs and getting the character classes included.[/QUOTE]
Have you been watching how many 2K games (Borderlands 2; and Firaxis' Civ 5 + XCOM: Enemy Unknown) and THQ games (see Dawn of War 2 Retribution + Saints Row: The Third) been dealing out DLC and expansions like crazy?
Yup, Micro-transaction City galore from those companies. Expect it to continue.

I think SR: The Third was the first I saw deal out Season Pass - and NOT everything was included in the Pass; only the Main Content DLC's.
AAA titles especially - as these games dev's and pub's are often spending a fortune on developing games.
Like it or not - they just finding new ways to try to recoup losses and/or to make ridiculous money.

It's why many of us often don't want to pre-order or buy games upon release. We often wait for price-drops on base games; DLC's; Season Passes; GOTY Editions; Ultimate Editions; etc etc.

Best way to do things is to probably wait for Ultimate Edition that collects EVERYTHING for a certain game (Base Game + ALL DLC's + ALL Expansions).
I know - it's a lot easier said than done, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most DLC today -- even content based DLC -- is crap. Once upon a time (when expansions/DLC provided better content) I was concerned over waiting on 'GOTY' editions but nowadays not so much. If I see a game I want to play for super cheap I just buy it knowing the DLC won't really add much above and beyond the entertainment I get from the base game.

[quote name='Mooby']Most DLC today -- even content based DLC -- is crap. Once upon a time (when expansions/DLC provided better content) I was concerned over waiting on 'GOTY' editions but nowadays not so much. If I see a game I want to play for super cheap I just buy it knowing the DLC won't really add much above and beyond the entertainment I get from the base game.[/QUOTE]
@Mooby

Really depends on the game, honestly.

As awesome as Sleeping Dogs was, I just really don't feel much of a need to pick-up any of its DLC - well, at least not just yet. It's probably b/c - well, they're still releasing DLC here & there for it.

A lot of the DLC for Fallout 3; Fallout: New Vegas (all DLC other than the 2 item packs - which I bought so I could opt to use JE Sawyer's Mod, whenever that might be - Old World Blues is one of the best DLC's I've ever played); and Borderlands 1 (except Mad Moxxi DLC) were pretty good.

Oh, also -- KOA: Reckoning: Legend of Dead Kel DLC was fantastic.

I have yet to pick any Skyrim DLC up b/c they're still releasing DLC here and there; and b/c I still ain't finished the main game, which I've spent over 110 hours with already.

Beat Bioshock 1 yesterday. ;) The ending was kinda
"meh"
but the game was good and it had a good story. I was planning on jumping right in to Bioshock 2 but got sidetracked by Path of Exile. Holy crap, what an awesome hack-in-slash!

[quote name='MysterD']@Mooby

Really depends on the game, honestly.
[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'm drawing a line, sir. You better get on the right side!

[quote name='jshackles']Beat Bioshock 1 yesterday. ;) The ending was kinda
"meh"
but the game was good and it had a good story. I was planning on jumping right in to Bioshock 2 but got sidetracked by Path of Exile. Holy crap, what an awesome hack-in-slash![/QUOTE]

I saw you playing it and decided to sign up for the beta to try it out

"meh"
but the game was good and it had a good story. I was planning on jumping right in to Bioshock 2 but got sidetracked by Path of Exile. Holy crap, what an awesome hack-in-slash![/QUOTE]

I'll probably get some a ton of flak for this but I was really excited for Bioshock but after playing it I wasn't impressed. Aside from a few things I liked, like some of the designs and atmosphere, I didn't really like it. Bioshock 2 continued that and I didn't like that much either. As such I don't have high hopes for Infinite but only time will tell.

"meh"

I felt the same way as you pretty much. For me, jumping right into Bioshock 2, besides a couple plot holes, the experience was much more enjoyable. Also the Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2 is great. Give it a try after Path of Exile takes its hooks outta you.

"meh"

I agree the best part of Bioshock for me was the "big reveal" midway through the game. Granted, I should have known since I'm a fan of System Shock 2.

The final battle was rather meh for me also.

Path of Exile was a very fun game when I played it last year. I'm going to have to play it again sometime.

Although I didn't care for BL1's Mad Moxxi's survive arena waves (probably more fun in coop), IMO it can't be completely disregarded since it did add the all important bank (for all your in-game packrating needs). Weaksauce as a "content" DLC though.

Ned's was quite decent even though I don't like zombies. The achievements were well balanced.

Knoxx's Armory should be held up as an paragon of DLC. Nice sizable side story, appropriate for bringing early players back into BL1 for a fun adventure.

Robolution was fine in concept but failed in execution. The achievements completely lacked balance, whereas I Ned's few hundred Zombie headshots was attainable, even enjoyable, without grinding, collecting X # of stupidly low drop rate parts copied the worst of MMOs.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I broke down and bought Don't Starve. Haven't played very much of it but I'm already liking it a lot. Decided one of the my fellow BGCQ could use the second copy I got from buying it ;)

[/QUOTE]

Ah you shoulda picked it up on the chrome store. You get two chrome copies and two steam keys

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Ah you shoulda picked it up on the chrome store. You get two chrome copies and two steam keys[/QUOTE]

Yeah I forgot about that until about 10 minutes into playing the game. Ah well. Too late now.

[quote name='asheskitty']Although I didn't care for BL1's Mad Moxxi's survive arena waves (probably more fun in coop), IMO it can't be completely disregarded since it did add the all important bank (for all your in-game packrating needs). Weaksauce as a "content" DLC though.

Ned's was quite decent even though I don't like zombies. The achievements were well balanced.

Knoxx's Armory should be held up as an paragon of DLC. Nice sizable side story, appropriate for bringing early players back into BL1 for a fun adventure.

Robolution was fine in concept but failed in execution. The achievements completely lacked balance, whereas I Ned's few hundred Zombie headshots was attainable, even enjoyable, without grinding, collecting X # of stupidly low drop rate parts copied the worst of MMOs.[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough, the Claptrap expansion was outsourced (hey, this is Gearbox we're talking about) to Darkside Studios, creators of such awesome content as Spec Ops: The Line's multiplayer mode. :roll: Actually it's the only of the BL1 DLC I haven't played yet but all signs indicate I'm not missing much.

[quote name='MysterD']Have you been watching how many 2K games (Borderlands 2; and Firaxis' Civ 5 + XCOM: Enemy Unknown) and THQ games (see Dawn of War 2 Retribution + Saints Row: The Third) been dealing out DLC and expansions like crazy?
Yup, Micro-transaction City galore from those companies. Expect it to continue.

I think SR: The Third was the first I saw deal out Season Pass - and NOT everything was included in the Pass; only the Main Content DLC's.
AAA titles especially - as these games dev's and pub's are often spending a fortune on developing games.
Like it or not - they just finding new ways to try to recoup losses and/or to make ridiculous money.

It's why many of us often don't want to pre-order or buy games upon release. We often wait for price-drops on base games; DLC's; Season Passes; GOTY Editions; Ultimate Editions; etc etc.

Best way to do things is to probably wait for Ultimate Edition that collects EVERYTHING for a certain game (Base Game + ALL DLC's + ALL Expansions).
I know - it's a lot easier said than done, though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooby']Most DLC today -- even content based DLC -- is crap. Once upon a time (when expansions/DLC provided better content) I was concerned over waiting on 'GOTY' editions but nowadays not so much. If I see a game I want to play for super cheap I just buy it knowing the DLC won't really add much above and beyond the entertainment I get from the base game.[/QUOTE]

The recipe is clear, just wait until the definite version is released, however it's branded, goty, complete, collection, ultimate, etc....

Not only you get all the content at once, you get all the fixes and updates that came along in that time, and for less money too. Why do you think publishers are starting to throw money at us, literally, to entice a pre-purchase?? They know the money lies in milking naive gamers with every bit of DLC they can muster, some of it downright offensive like cheat or unlock packs. Thing is, they are shooting themselves on the foot, the source of the problem is definitely not solved by entrapping gamers with gifts in hopes of recouping loses with over the board DLCs.

I think the real problem here is the nomenclature. A season pass, outside of video games, gets you into every event at the venue. If that's not what the video game equivalent is going to do, don't call it that. Sure, there must exist some RL exceptions where some events are stated to be excluded, but in those cases a "season pass" is already an established term that doesn't add a layer of obfuscation to what is at hand, whereas in a gaming sense, there is no "pass" and what the "season" is (The shelf life of the game? The EXPECTED add-on period as of release? The time until development of the sequel is greenlighted? Now and forever?) is debatable. Applying the metaphor when you know it doesn't apply is just pointless and recreates the need to explain every application of the term explicitly.

IMO, the issue with the "Season Pass" is that is simply a way to frontload sales (before gamers get bored with the game or sell the season pass before the game gets released, and possibly bombs).

What gamers want is for the Base Game + Season Pass to provide the complete version of the game as it is released (as opposed to waiting for the Complete/GOTY version).

[quote name='Mooby']Neither of the DLC characters look particularly interesting or unique... try as they might to portray them as radically different with skill trees and whatnot there isn't very much you can do in an FPS.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooby']Anyhooo, I still haven't played after getting it for $5 from Bruticis then paying another $7.50 for the Season Pass from a GG glitch.[/QUOTE]
you should actually play the game.. Paige the Mechromancer has a pretty drastically different play style than the other classes depending on which skill tree/s you build. not sure how you could come to that conclusion without even playing the game..

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I'll probably get some a ton of flak for this but I was really excited for Bioshock but after playing it I wasn't impressed. Aside from a few things I liked, like some of the designs and atmosphere, I didn't really like it. Bioshock 2 continued that and I didn't like that much either. As such I don't have high hopes for Infinite but only time will tell.[/QUOTE]
image.php

[quote name='asheskitty']Shift Keys:
WTWT3-CXSKC-9KFT3-TBBJT-ZX5FF
W3WJ3-3JXTT-6RW5T-SB53B-XJBX9

GMG has Nights Into Dreams for $2.72 (after GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD) (steam key, I'd seen a few min of gameplay, it looks like it got similar graphical treatment as Jet Set Radio did).[/QUOTE]
Thanks for posting about it been wanting to pick up NiGHTS for a long time.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I'll probably get some a ton of flak for this but I was really excited for Bioshock but after playing it I wasn't impressed. Aside from a few things I liked, like some of the designs and atmosphere, I didn't really like it.[/QUOTE]
I thought the game play in Bioshock was okay. Nothing spectacular but fairly solid and wasn't any detriment. But it was the setting and atmosphere that really kept me playing.

The setting is what has me interested in Bioshock: Infinite as well. What they've done with the whole Gilded Age era setting is unlike anything I've played in a game before so it immediately draws me in. Even if the game play is "only" as good as Bioshock's, I think the overall experience will be worth it.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I thought the game play in Bioshock was okay. Nothing spectacular but fairly solid and wasn't any detriment. But it was the setting and atmosphere that really kept me playing.

The setting is what has me interested in Bioshock: Infinite as well. What they've done with the whole Gilded Age era setting is unlike anything I've played in a game before so it immediately draws me in. Even if the game play is "only" as good as Bioshock's, I think the overall experience will be worth it.[/QUOTE]

The atmosphere in Bioshock was great. The people and the story it wove was actually pretty interesting. Certainly worth the $7.49 I paid for both games in an Amazon bundle. ;)

[quote name='jshackles']The atmosphere in Bioshock was great. The people and the story it wove was actually pretty interesting. Certainly worth the $7.49 I paid for both games in an Amazon bundle. ;)[/QUOTE]

Agreed - except I had to play it on a 360 that occasionally glitched up - but it was worth it! The only problem is that the vita-chambers made it far too easy (And I didn't realize that there was a patch to disable them)

[quote name='asheskitty']IMO, the issue with the "Season Pass" is that is simply a way to frontload sales (before gamers get bored with the game or sell the season pass before the game gets released, and possibly bombs).

What gamers want is for the Base Game + Season Pass to provide the complete version of the game as it is released (as opposed to waiting for the Complete/GOTY version).[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for one specific game to have MULTIPLE Season Passes - i.e. Season 1 Pass; Season 2 Pass; etc. ;)

[quote name='MysterD']I'm still waiting for one specific game to have MULTIPLE Season Passes - i.e. Season 1 Pass; Season 2 Pass; etc. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm sure this was answered a few posts back but I can't be arsed to look...

What's the difference between the Season Pass, the Premium Season Pass, and the Deluxe Season Pass? ;)

[quote name='asheskitty']Although I didn't care for BL1's Mad Moxxi's survive arena waves (probably more fun in coop), IMO it can't be completely disregarded since it did add the all important bank (for all your in-game packrating needs). Weaksauce as a "content" DLC though.

Robolution was fine in concept but failed in execution. The achievements completely lacked balance, whereas I Ned's few hundred Zombie headshots was attainable, even enjoyable, without grinding, collecting X # of stupidly low drop rate parts copied the worst of MMOs.[/QUOTE]

Mad Moxxi was my least fav. of the BL1 DLC's. The bank was cool - but probably should've been in the main game and/or had more in other DLC areas, as well.

Ned was pretty good;
Knoxx was just flat-out awesome;
and Claptrap's was good, but nothing great.

[quote name='asheskitty']I'm sure this was answered a few posts back but I can't be arsed to look...

What's the difference between the Season Pass, the Premium Season Pass, and the Deluxe Season Pass? ;)[/QUOTE]

The names.

[quote name='asheskitty']I'm sure this was answered a few posts back but I can't be arsed to look...

What's the difference between the Season Pass, the Premium Season Pass, and the Deluxe Season Pass? ;)[/QUOTE]

You make this sound like we're going to Six Flags. :p

Season passes really piss me off. I purchased the BL2 season pass when it was cheap at GreenManGaming right around the time of the game's release. While I still feel that the price was good and that I am able to get the DLC I was originally promised, I was under the impression when I bought it that it would be a kind of "complete" experience. That was how it was marketed, anyway. Since then they've released 2 characters, some sort of arena stage, golden weapons, and a GAGGLE of player skins (which I have no interest in) but I still feel a bit jaded that I didn't get the complete experience I expected.

I think the real issue is this: if you're going to release a season pass for your game, you should be entirely up front about what exactly it will include. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head include Dungeon Defenders: Eternia Shards quest packs. Buy episode 1 today for $4.99 or get all 4 Eternia Shards episodes for $14.99. Or like Assassin's Creed III is doing with their "Tyranny of George Washington" DLC, although to be fair I can't tell if the Season Pass for that game includes all of those or not (and this is exactly the problem). If you don't have a unifying theme, you probably SHOULDN'T call it a "Season Pass" at all.

If Borderlands 2 had come right out and said: This season pass includes the following future expansions: Pirate Booty, Big Game Hunt, Campaign of Carnage, and Clatraps Robot Uprising Z (??? just a guess: again that is the problem ???) then I probably wouldn't have bought it. I know they're not always going to know ahead of time what it will be called or what it includes, but if that's the case just be honest about it and say something like "We need you to buy this to ensure we can continue making content for this game. Trust us, we think we know what we're doing." People do it on Kickstarter all the time, except they usually have more information about what you're kickstarting than Gearbox did with the BL2 expansions.

tl;dr version : Publishers and game companies should be more honest with their customers about what exactly a "season pass" includes, give it a unifying theme, or call it something else.

Now for news!
Bioware is working on the next Mass Effect game, but they won't be calling it Mass Effect 4.

Not to defend shady DLC practices, but it really was made abundantly clear that the SP was for four future expansion packs and nothing more.

And hey, at least the upcoming level cap DLC will be free if you have it.

[quote name='MysterD']I'm still waiting for one specific game to have MULTIPLE Season Passes - i.e. Season 1 Pass; Season 2 Pass; etc. ;)[/QUOTE]

I am almost positive Borderlands 2 will be the one to do this.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Not to defend shady DLC practices, but it really was made abundantly clear that the SP was for four future expansion packs and nothing more.

And hey, at least the upcoming level cap DLC will be free if you have it.

I am almost positive Borderlands 2 will be the one to do this.[/QUOTE]

They already announced multiple season passes for a game, I forget which one. I've never expected a season pass to have all the DLC. All the expansion type DLC maybe, but not all character packs, skins, etc.

I hate DLC period though so I wish there would be true season passes.

[quote name='jshackles']Season passes really piss me off. I purchased the BL2 season pass when it was cheap at GreenManGaming right around the time of the game's release. While I still feel that the price was good and that I am able to get the DLC I was originally promised, I was under the impression when I bought it that it would be a kind of "complete" experience. That was how it was marketed, anyway. Since then they've released 2 characters, some sort of arena stage, golden weapons, and a GAGGLE of player skins (which I have no interest in) but I still feel a bit jaded that I didn't get the complete experience I expected. [/quote]
SR: The Third didn't use this train of thought.

SR: The Third had tons of DLC (like over 15, if I recall).
In Season Pass, only 3 Main Content DLC's were in there.

Borderlands 2 followed that trend, more or less.

I think the real issue is this: if you're going to release a season pass for your game, you should be entirely up front about what exactly it will include. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head include Dungeon Defenders: Eternia Shards quest packs. Buy episode 1 today for $4.99 or get all 4 Eternia Shards episodes for $14.99. Or like Assassin's Creed III is doing with their "Tyranny of George Washington" DLC, although to be fair I can't tell if the Season Pass for that game includes all of those or not (and this is exactly the problem). If you don't have a unifying theme, you probably SHOULDN'T call it a "Season Pass" at all.

If Borderlands 2 had come right out and said: This season pass includes the following future expansions: Pirate Booty, Big Game Hunt, Campaign of Carnage, and Clatraps Robot Uprising Z (??? just a guess: again that is the problem ???) then I probably wouldn't have bought it. I know they're not always going to know ahead of time what it will be called or what it includes, but if that's the case just be honest about it and say something like "We need you to buy this to ensure we can continue making content for this game. Trust us, we think we know what we're doing." People do it on Kickstarter all the time, except they usually have more information about what you're kickstarting than Gearbox did with the BL2 expansions.

tl;dr version : Publishers and game companies should be more honest with their customers about what exactly a "season pass" includes, give it a unifying theme, or call it something else.
It'd be nice, but we'd be dreaming. :p

It's all about "pre-order base game now & get a few DLC's; buy some DLC's as you go along; re-buy game but you'll instead buy its re-release Ultimate Edition so you can collect all the DLC's you're missing. :p

I wonder if BioWare Points will ever go on sale for ME2; ME3; and Mass Effect: Next.
Or if there'll ever be an Ultimate Edition w/ Base Game + ALL DLC's for each of those games...
Of course - I'm dreaming here, eh? ;)

[quote name='jshackles']Season passes really piss me off. I purchased the BL2 season pass when it was cheap at GreenManGaming right around the time of the game's release. While I still feel that the price was good and that I am able to get the DLC I was originally promised, I was under the impression when I bought it that it would be a kind of "complete" experience. That was how it was marketed, anyway. [/QUOTE]

Has there ever been a game that offered a "Season Pass" and it actually included everything extra for that game after release?

Frankly I think buying a game + a season pass right off the bat is ludicrous. You have no idea if a game is going to be good or not, so not only do you buy it, but then pay extra for additional content? I'm firmly in the "wait til super ultimate platinum complete edition" now. My backlog is ridiculous and the more I hear about new games and this crap, the more it makes me glad I won't even think about buying them for months and years.

[quote name='jshackles']I think the real issue is this: if you're going to release a season pass for your game, you should be entirely up front about what exactly it will include. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head include Dungeon Defenders: Eternia Shards quest packs. Buy episode 1 today for $4.99 or get all 4 Eternia Shards episodes for $14.99. Or like Assassin's Creed III is doing with their "Tyranny of George Washington" DLC, although to be fair I can't tell if the Season Pass for that game includes all of those or not (and this is exactly the problem). If you don't have a unifying theme, you probably SHOULDN'T call it a "Season Pass" at all.[/QUOTE]

Assassin's Creed 3's season pass actually does include all 3 episodes on Tyranny of King Washington. The problem is that the only other DLC on the season pass is all of the pre-order DLC bundled together, and a map/character pack for multiplayer. That's it. Granted that is all of the DLC for AC3 that there is, but you are really only getting the Tyranny episodes as the real meat, and despite some positive reviews I've seen they are pretty much crap.

Saints Row The Third had the problem where they said there was a season pass that contained the big story DLCs. That was it. Then after that came out they released a ton of of smaller DLCs that weren't included to sucker people out of money.

The worst was with Gears of War 3. There was the regular season pass which was $30, then a weapon skin season pass for multiplayer which was an astounding $45. Granted the weapon season pass was really just an early unlock of all the weapon skins and you could earn them all from normal gameplay(or so I heard), but Epic outright lied to fans about the normal season pass. They said it would be geared towards story DLC and not multiplayer DLC. The normal season pass had 1 story DLC that was a prequel story that added practically zero to the story, and the other 3 DLCs were multiplayer :roll:

And don't believe me about the $45 weapon skin unlocks? Check out this 172kb download! 3600 MSP = 45 USD http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...llection/74dcbb65-de60-4698-9479-354cefb8d981

[quote name='N3UROP0D']
I am almost positive Borderlands 2 will be the one to do this.[/QUOTE]
It wouldn't surprise me (if Borderlands 2 will have Multiple Season Passes).

Though, I figured they'd do that 1st w/ Aliens: Colonial Marines. :p ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back