The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Izod517']I don't think you have to worry about Disney removing Lucas Arts games from Steam - Disney has never been one to lose a revenue source. That said the prices could go higher and there could be less deals - that wouldn't shock me in the least.[/QUOTE]

Well, Disney has also never released any of their own games on Steam (AFAIK). Would be great if they'd bring LEGO Pirates to Steam. Even though they don't like losing revenue streams, I think they like SHARING that revenue even less.

[quote name='Blade']I don't know why Disney would do that since the LucasArts branch contains all of their good games. Let's hope the LucasArts Adventure Pack lasts until the summer seal. LOOM is a great game, I just haven't bought it on Steam yet because of the price.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why they'd remove already existing games from steam since it's basically pure profit, but closing LucasArts makes sense for them. Disney has been closing most of it's game development studios for a while, they don't need one that's basically a shell of it's former self. The only dev studio left I believe is the one currently making Disney Infinity.

[quote name='jshackles']I think they like SHARING that revenue even less.[/QUOTE]

True... they're almost assuredly not fond of their agreement with Steam. We probably have some time depending on open contracts and how long it takes someone in the business analyst nerdery to look at the numbers.

@Jon7 - So they could get 100% of the sales, rather than having to pay Steam a cut. Disney loves to think their IP is so strong it doesn't require things like other store-fronts that take a piece of the action. Some business anaylst could easily say "we could make 100% of the sales rather than 90%!" not realizing their sales would almost certainly tank removing them from the Steam delivery device. There's also the consideration of whether or not they have the infrastructure in place to do digital on-demand and if it would cost more to develop or to let steam take it's cut.

[quote name='jshackles']In other news: Disney closes LucasArts. Please, a moment of silence.[/QUOTE]

Sad, but we knew that would happen some day...

May be a good time for someone to buy the rights of grim fandango, full throttle and such... And do something with them? Just asking

[quote name='Izod517']
@Jon7 - So they could get 100% of the sales, rather than having to pay Steam a cut. Disney loves to think their IP is so strong it doesn't require things like other store-fronts that take a piece of the action. Some business anaylst could easily say "we could make 100% of the sales rather than 90%!" not realizing their sales would almost certainly tank removing them from the Steam delivery device. There's also the consideration of whether or not they have the infrastructure in place to do digital on-demand and if it would cost more to develop or to let steam take it's cut.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's the whole picture though, because Disney has PC games on Amazon and Disney doesn't seem to mind letting them get a cut. I think a big part of the problem is just whoever is in charge of these decisions is either too old or just doesn't understand what Steam is, it's popularity in the PC gaming community, and how it could increase their sales.

[quote name='Mooby']LucasArts stopped being LucasArts a looooooooong time ago.[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt, but will Disney continue supporting other companies working on Star Wars games, or other franchises owned by LucasArts, like LucasArts did during the last couple generation?

[quote name='spoderman']This. It's a good idea to play them in order, and Forgotten Sands after if you like the first 3. PoP 2008 is a love it or hate it type of game, it's nothing like the other PoPs and I personally hated it.[/QUOTE]

I personally LOVED PoP 2008.

EDIT:
Still wish they'd drop/bring the PoP 2008: Epilogue DLC to the PC, dammit...

[quote name='jshackles']Although they've said they'll continue with the same licensing model, those of us that love Tinfoil hats might want to take a look at this list of LucasArts games on Steam to see if there are any games they want to purchase before they potentially go away.[/QUOTE]

We need Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle re-released digitally.
Did I miss any LucasArts games that need a re-release on Steam, GOG, Amazon DVG, Gamersgate, and any other digital places you all can think of?

PLZ - get listing!

[quote name='jshackles']Although they've said they'll continue with the same licensing model, those of us that love Tinfoil hats might want to take a look at this list of LucasArts games on Steam to see if there are any games they want to purchase before they potentially go away.[/QUOTE]

I wear a size 9 3/4 tinfoil hat.

I spent the 2012 Holiday sale prioritizing all the LucasArts games in case they get yanked. The only games that I'm missing from the catalog are Lego Star Wars Clone Wars & Lego Indiana Jones 2 (neither of which I want). I can't predict whether or not Disney will eventually drop the hammer on LucasArts, but my bunker is already stocked with all the games that I want.

I suppose it's possible that they never will remove the games from steam. But if you have your eye on something, better grab it next time it goes on sale. Might wanna get in touch with Jake Nome to save a few extra bucks while you're at it.

It would not make any sense for current LucasArts games to go away given everything that is on Steam, Disney owns the property rights to. The only reason to worry is if they were flat out selling the rights, which they likely won't be, they'll just be licensing them.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Call of Duty: Galaxy at War just announced. Disney apparently wasted no time licensing the Star Wars IP to Activision. wow...[/QUOTE]

Is Bungie developing it? ;)

[quote name='fignutz32']So does this mean no Battlefront 3?[/QUOTE]

Battlefront was licensed to EA/Origin.

Battlefield: Battlefront 3 coming out next year. Origin exclusive.

Closing LucasArts was for the best. They haven't put a game out that has been worthwhile in years. At least now Disney will license the IP out and some decent developer can get their hands on it now.

[quote name='fignutz32']Hey guys. How's the controller support for the Prince of Persia games?[/QUOTE]

That's the only way to play any of those PoP games on the PC, if you ask me.

[quote name='jshackles']In other news: Disney closes LucasArts. Please, a moment of silence.[/QUOTE]

:cry: The end of an era.

[quote name='soulkyo']And Star Wars 1313 cancelled... :cry:[/QUOTE]

Agreed :cry:

[quote name='KaOTiK']Closing LucasArts was for the best. They haven't put a game out that has been worthwhile in years. At least now Disney will license the IP out and some decent developer can get their hands on it now.[/QUOTE]

Telltale + Grim Fandago = :D

[quote name='evildeadjedi']:cry: The end of an era.

Agreed :cry:

Telltale + Grim Fandago = :D[/QUOTE]

I would imagine Double Fine would go after Grim Fandango if possible, bring Manny back to his father.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']I would imagine Double Fine would go after Grim Fandango if possible, bring Manny back to his father.[/QUOTE]

Good call! :applause: While they are at it get Maniac Mansion!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Good call! :applause: While they are at it get Maniac Mansion![/QUOTE]
Get them all, GoG and Steam those, so I can have some hot Grim Fandango action :lol:.

Wow, anyone find it funny that LucusArts closing made top headlines at Google News?

edit: and now it's gone. Boy that was quick.

[quote name='Corpekata']It would not make any sense for current LucasArts games to go away given everything that is on Steam, Disney owns the property rights to. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's Disney. They'll pull all the games out of every storefront, announce that they've "locked" them in some sort of imaginary "vault", and then wait seven years before re-releasing anything.

[quote name='Mac the Geek']Yeah, but it's Disney. They'll pull all the games out of every storefront, announce that they've "locked" them in some sort of imaginary "vault", and then wait seven years before re-releasing anything.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait to get the Diamond Edition of Maniac Mansion in 2020.

[quote name='Preedatore']I can't wait to get the Diamond Edition of Maniac Mansion in 2020.[/QUOTE]

With three all-new sing-along songs and a 3D tour of the mansion with Tinkerbell!

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']With three all-new sing-along songs and a 3D tour of the mansion with Tinkerbell![/QUOTE]

I'll still never get out of the dungeon.

[quote name='Mac the Geek']Yeah, but it's Disney. They'll pull all the games out of every storefront, announce that they've "locked" them in some sort of imaginary "vault", and then wait seven years before re-releasing anything.[/QUOTE]

And that's why I've personally spent a couple hundred hours as a vault hunter. ^_~

...or maybe I just like to kill.

[quote name='asheskitty']And that's why I've personally spent a couple hundred hours as a vault hunter. ^_~

...or maybe I just like to kill.[/QUOTE]

And/or maybe you just like exploring both a ruined DC and "New" Vegas.

[quote name='MysterD']I personally LOVED PoP 2008.

EDIT:
Still wish they'd drop/bring the PoP 2008: Epilogue DLC to the PC, dammit...[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed it as well. I might be in the minority but I preferred the original ending and I think that the Epilogue DLC doesn't fit well with the story the developers were trying to tell.

I guess it wasn't meant for me to get the original pop. Can't get the mobile steam app to let me log in and the mobile site payment page won't load lol.

[quote name='asheskitty']Sega forced to admit wrongdoing in Alien: Colonial Marines advertising
Disclaimer admits in-game footage came from "work in progress."[/QUOTE]

Well, that quote is from the person who wrote the article and not Sega themselves. Sega just basically admitted some of their footage in the commercial doesn't reflect the actual game footage. I find that a little odd that people made a stink about that just because it seems most games nowadays advertise using non-game footage that makes the game seem a lot cooler/better graphically than it really is.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Well, that quote is from the person who wrote the article and not Sega themselves. Sega just basically admitted some of their footage in the commercial doesn't reflect the actual game footage. I find that a little odd that people made a stink about that just because it seems most games nowadays advertise using non-game footage that makes the game seem a lot cooler/better graphically than it really is.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I could see some people getting upset is if a trailer specifically said "IN-GAME FOOTAGE" and it blatantly didn't. But the trailer didn't and most don't usually say that. I mean sure the trailer showed a lot of sweeping scenes and stuff that may be from cut-scenes, I have never played the game so I have no idea, but every game does either that or go full CG.

I agree with you. I mean if people get upset based on that trailer than everyone should be going insane over the Gears of War Mad World trailer.

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is the Divinity Anthology at 66% off ($10.19)

Divine Divinity - $2.03
Beyond Divinity - $2.03
Divinity II - Developer's Cut $6.79

Weekend Deals

Omerta - City of Gangsters at 50% off ($19.99 or $29.99 for a 2-pack)
The Con Artist DLC is $2.49[/QUOTE]

Pretty good deal for Divine Anthology, I don't think Divinity 2 has been much lower than that. I got Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity from GOG, and Divinity 2 for $6 from Amazon so I'll be passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back