The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']:lol: /flex

Hop in your time machine and go back to late December. $3.15 on GMG.

3.15 -Wow, now there is no way I'm buying it for 20.

From my purchase history. 90% of the games are from retail, the rest are from steam directly. There is nothing for me to look forward to on steam sale. :cry:

[quote name='seamoss']So if it's completely indistinguishable from the vanilla game, what do the mods do?[/QUOTE]

Crash the game to desktop at random intervals, largely.

[quote name='asheskitty']Steam "sales" getting you down?
Don't feel like facing your backlog?
Neverwinter (F2P MMO) just hit open beta.

(Though I'd note is rather hard on the CPU, like most MMOs.)[/QUOTE]

Have you been playing it and if so any thoughts? I played it briefly during closed beta. Was s'alright I guess but the magical glitter trails that lead you by the hand to exactly where you need to go next put me off a bit.

[quote name='Motoki']Have you been playing it and if so any thoughts? I played it briefly during closed beta. Was s'alright I guess but the magical glitter trails that lead you by the hand to exactly where you need to go next put me off a bit.[/QUOTE]

Fable clone? I liked it in those games, but I guess in an MMO it ruins exploration a bit?

Also, you and asheskitty might want to head over to the Android thread in the next 23 hours.

Not mentioned yet, but Sanctum is also a weekend deal, so check that off the "Has Way Too Many Sales" bingo card. Just need Magicka, Aquaphobia, or Super Meat Boy to win!

[quote name='Rirse']Not mentioned yet, but Sanctum is also a weekend deal, so check that off the "Has Way Too Many Sales" bingo card. [/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm, interesting concept . . .

I found Neverwinter to be thoroughly average. The environments looked pretty decent but the characters were meh. The combat system is like Tera's and that is fine, but honestly I rather play Tera as they literally give you the entire game to play for free with the F2P stuff being cosmetic/special mounts. NWN seems to have a bit of Pay 2 Win and from what I can tell from Perfect Worlds other F2P games, they are P2W.

The Humble site, one of the leading waves of internet hipster-stuff... only lost your respect by adding the next cool internet hipster-toy?

[quote name='RollingSkull']The Humble site, one of the leading waves of internet hipster-stuff... only lost your respect by adding the next cool internet hipster-toy?[/QUOTE]

That's the first time anyone has ever described bitcoin as "cool," I believe, scornfully or otherwise.

It's funny how people throw around the word "hipster" to describe something that they don't either like or understand in an attempt to somehow shame those people for liking what they like. In actuality, it just makes the person calling others "hipsters" look pathetic and sad.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Tony just announced Hitman Absolution for $4.99

Probably going to be bundled by Amazon by year's end, but great price for now.[/QUOTE]

I am so glad I didn't keep that in the backlog even though I got it cheap but not that cheap.

[quote name='gentlyporking']It's funny how people throw around the word "hipster" to describe something that they don't either like or understand in an attempt to somehow shame those people for liking what they like. In actuality, it just makes the person calling others "hipsters" look pathetic and sad.[/QUOTE]
You know who says things like that? Hipsters. The rest of us don't care if the word is being used accurately or not.

[quote name='gentlyporking']It's funny how people throw around the word "hipster" to describe something that they don't either like or understand in an attempt to somehow shame those people for liking what they like. In actuality, it just makes the person calling others "hipsters" look pathetic and sad.[/QUOTE]
Take your hipster propaganda elsewhere, hipster.

[quote name='Syntax Error']You know who says things like that? Hipsters. The rest of us don't care if the word is being used accurately or not.[/QUOTE]

I care quite a lot, as I think a word stripped entirely of meaning is one that should no longer exist in the language.

However, whether bitcoins are "hipster" or not (I don't think they are), they seem like a really awful way to handle a legal transaction.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I care quite a lot, as I think a word stripped entirely of meaning is one that should no longer exist in the language. [/QUOTE]
It has meaning. It's just changed from its original "pure" meaning. It's not as though someone says "hipster" and you think "does he mean t-bone steak, the color blue or maple trees?!"

[quote name='Motoki']Have you been playing it and if so any thoughts? I played it briefly during closed beta. Was s'alright I guess but the magical glitter trails that lead you by the hand to exactly where you need to go next put me off a bit.[/QUOTE]

Sorry none. The MMO I really should give a shot is my backlogged TSW (which fortunately forges it's own Shadowrun-ish world, rather than yet another high fantasy game).

[quote name='louiedog']Also, you and asheskitty might want to head over to the Android thread in the next 23 hours.[/QUOTE]

Ooh, thanks for the reminder!!! ...I'd hate to have missed that, esp as a backer. (I have intricate filters that sort most of my email into tidy mailboxes that I almost never read... but they're sorted =D

[quote name='gentlyporking']I would argue the act of calling someone a hipster is pretty hipster at this point.[/QUOTE]

I think your attempts at porking have moved from the gentle to the forced in nature.

[quote name='supershammy']Hipster is virtually indefinable. Good luck meaning anything at all when you say it![/QUOTE]

Clearly someone's never set foot in Brooklyn.

I have a friend who was normal, then he went to NY to "model". Six months later, he came back, but now he wears ugly shirts, 90s ties, sailing blazers, and suspenders. I think I can define hipster just fine.

While I probably needn't say, he is no longer my friend.

There is no real hipster... it's origins can be traced back to the basement of Jordan Hall (Stanford's psychology building) ... a subject escaped. Yes the same basement of Zimbaro-fame.

Bickering over the term is like arguing who's unicorn steak tasted better.

Society appropriates and repurposes terms all the time.

[quote name='Syntax Error']It has meaning. It's just changed from its original "pure" meaning. It's not as though someone says "hipster" and you think "does he mean t-bone steak, the color blue or maple trees?!"[/QUOTE]

No, I literally have no idea what somebody means when they say hipster. Every time I hear it used I realize that the connotative, practical definition of what is or makes somebody a hipster has ballooned to a point that it is entirely worthless as a descriptor. I don't think a word should keep any sense of "pure" meaning. A language is always evolving, but I hate it when a word becomes so useless that it's more or less vestigial. It's not that I think hipster is being used wrongly. I think it is no longer possible to use it at all and evoke any kind of useful meaning. It just needs to be jettisoned from the language entirely.

[quote name='asheskitty']
Bickering over the term is like arguing who's unicorn steak tasted better.
[/QUOTE]

What's unicorn steak taste like...?
And does Morton's Steak House carry it?

gentlyporking sent me an ace file with a picture of him in the bunk bed his parents bought for his studio apartment over a Thai restaurant. His Casio midi guitar sleeps on the top part:

DSC06500.JPG

It must get hot wearing imported Kurdu scarves from a village I've probably never heard of in the summertime.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Clearly someone's never set foot in Brooklyn.[/QUOTE]

No need to go there -- I learned everything I know about it from...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS3WNt7yRU

[quote name='Blade']It must get hot wearing imported Kurdu scarves from a village I've probably never heard of in the summertime.[/QUOTE]
Sweet skinny jeans though.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I have a friend who was normal, then he went to NY to "model". Six months later, he came back, but now he wears ugly shirts, 90s ties, sailing blazers, and suspenders. I think I can define hipster just fine.

While I probably needn't say, he is no longer my friend.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of my friends dress like assholes and are still my friends. Sounds like you might be the "hipster".

[quote name='annihilator']I think this thread has hit a new all-time low. Can we please get back to the serious on-topic business of posting beer pictures?[/QUOTE]

You don't want me to post bier pictures... I prefer bier that's as dark and bitter as my soul... you'd simply collapse at mere sight of it.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Plenty of my friends dress like assholes and are still my friends. Sounds like you might be the "hipster".[/QUOTE]
Well, before he dressed like an asshole, he was an asshole, so now he's an asshole who dresses like an asshole. Do not want.

[quote name='xCappax']hi i'm looking for the steam deals thread, can someone point me to it?[/QUOTE]

Not much discussion to be had on the current deals; they were discussed when they flipped and consensus was they sucked. If you're looking for a good deal, grab a Hitman: Absolution Steam key from Amazon for $5.

[quote name='Genocidal']Not much discussion to be had on the current deals; they were discussed when they flipped and consensus was they sucked. If you're looking for a good deal, grab a Hitman: Absolution Steam key from Amazon for $5.[/QUOTE]
Hitman: Ab for $5 is surely a damn good deal.

I think there's like a backlog rule or something that states, "75% off or better or else...NO SALE!" :p

[quote name='xCappax']hi i'm looking for the steam deals thread, can someone point me to it?[/QUOTE]

I love the false implication that this thread is usually on-topic for more than six seconds at a time.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I love the false implication that this thread is usually on-topic for more than six seconds at a time.[/QUOTE]
I love the false implication that Steam has deals to post about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back