The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Branyun (spelling? sorry all your posts were expunged) was involved in a moderately long back-and-forth with Spiricore that was self deleted. What, 6-8 posts there?

3-4 posts of admonishing Branyun for turning something into nothing and submitting an oddly-timed post.

Idiot had a long revelatory post and a couple more.

I contributed like four 2-word sentences related to the religious stuff.

What else?
I asked about magic mormon underwear

That's the crux of dis bitch.
Remarks of Spiricore for forgiveness plus talk of DJ'ing by us and MysterD. Then, we lost the talk of the special thrust master, Cheaplikeafox's remark to me being a hypocrite with PM, That one guy with Phoenix Wright as an icon remark to Spiricore about his relationship with his wife, my remark on what kind of group we are (trying to put us back on track, and THAT got deleted :lol: ) that's all I remember.

Remarks of Spiricore for forgiveness plus talk of DJ'ing by us and MysterD. Then, we lost the talk of the special thrust master, Cheaplikeafox's remark to me being a hypocrite with PM, That one guy with Phoenix Wright as an icon remark to Spiricore about his relationship with his wife, my remark on what kind of group we are (trying to put us back on track, and THAT got deleted :lol: ) that's all I remember.
tbh, there was much more than that, even a dude just posting saying which games he bought and enjoyed in the sale, with literally no mention of the religious conversation. Not to mention many of the religious posts were only partly relating to that conversation. I posted a detailed review and explanation of Fortune Summoners for someone who asked about it, and that was just blindly deleted since another part of that post was replying to the religious stuff.

Such is CAG.

Who are the smartest devs with this Steam card thing?   SCS (Euro Truck Sim 2).  Why?  They made one emoticon that's actually useful.  A Stop sign.  Despite it being just a common emoticon it is selling at around $2 per emoticon and it is selling well every day.  If more devs put out emoticons that could potentially fit in a conversation they might be getting that money like SCS. 

Well, instead of idling Gun Monkeys, I decided to play it.

Bad decision.
I don't have anything to say about actually playing the game since it would never load for me, but just thought I'd mention that IIRC the cubes are explained in the tutorial (which somewhat ironically was all I could get to work). I kinda feel bad for the devs too, since looking at their comments they clearly put a lot of work into making the game, but what you posted is pretty much the same thing I keep hearing. I guess there is always hope they can patch in some things (like aiming, which I'm surprised isn't in there), but I'm kinda feeling the same way that they should have stuck with adventure games :cry:

I see some of you were upset about my deleting your posts.  Well, don't quote giant pictures or off topic nonsense if you don't want your post deleted.  I'm not going to go through and individually edit the 50 posts I had to delete.

Who are the smartest devs with this Steam card thing? SCS (Euro Truck Sim 2). Why? They made one emoticon that's actually useful. A Stop sign. Despite it being just a common emoticon it is selling at around $2 per emoticon and it is selling well every day. If more devs put out emoticons that could potentially fit in a conversation they might be getting that money like SCS.
Very true. The same is true of all the They Bleed Pixels emotes. The cheapest they've ever gone for is 30 cents, with both of the uncommon emotes selling for $1.50-$3, the rare about the same, and two of the commons (the happy one and wtf one) selling anywhere from 50 cents to $1+. At the time of this post, another common (the tongue one) has inflated to over a dollar.

The backgrounds also stayed around 10-20 cents, the uncommon one over a dollar, and the rare one goes for $4-6.

The game has been as cheap as $2.50, and crafting a badge costs $2-3 usually. Both the cards and the crafted rewards have held their value and sell constantly.

Why? Because they were done well. The emotes were sprited and created AT emote size, therefore when you use them, they aren't downscaled and lose no quality. The backgrounds are good too and properly use the edges of your profile (the parts that show) to show the main art.

The devs were very smart, and they're pulling in money every day because of the card/emote/background sales of their game. If other devs actually tried and used their heads, we wouldn't see stuff like this (because that one looks really good in chat...) and this (hey, I know, let's put all the art in the middle where it's blocked!).

I don't have anything to say about actually playing the game since it would never load for me, but just thought I'd mention that IIRC the cubes are explained in the tutorial (which somewhat ironically was all I could get to work). I kinda feel bad for the devs too, since looking at their comments they clearly put a lot of work into making the game, but what you posted is pretty much the same thing I keep hearing. I guess there is always hope they can patch in some things (like aiming, which I'm surprised isn't in there), but I'm kinda feeling the same way that they should have stuck with adventure games :cry:
There's a tutorial? o_0

Man, it's REALLY hard to convince myself that I want Shadowrun at full price. I REALLY want it. But I also have TONS of games, I'm sure I could be playing... but the user content is one of MANY reasons I always went back to Skyrim.
Honestly, if you didn't Kickstart it then wait for a sale. Hopefully by that time there should be some killer user content available. I'm not impressed by what I've played so far--the reviews are mostly right in that the save system is horrible, the Dead Man's Switch official campaign has a decent enough story but little choice and consequence and is very linear, and the whole game feels like it was made with iOS in mind first.

Haha, this is kinda fun.  It's like "let's see what gets through the censors"... cause they are obviously upset.

So, anyone played Rogue Legacy?  Heard it's interesting.  (waits for a mod to delete this)  Specifically it'd be a play NOW not shelving it.

Yeh that's what I don't understand how the hell do we reply to see what we are doing wrong and what the fuck the rules are
@Fatality

I guess the problem is going way off-topic (i.e. not about Steam deals); posting lots of big pictures & videos; and the whole religion debate is what was causing the problems here.

I guess, in a sense, that when some of us (like myself) double-post or even triple-posts, posts not being combined could be a good thing. I mean - since I do post sometimes in a row - in case I did get a post combined b/c it had some on-topic material & off-topic material.

Hmmm...maybe I should also stop posting big iron-clad walls of text in one post, as well. ;)

That way if I post something and it gets tossed, I won't feel so bad - losing tons of walls of text.

I do like to write/type - what can I say?

I wonder if even talking about this stuff here right now in this thread like I am is off-topic.

@Trakan

Serious question - can we use spoiler tags and link a pic in there? Or is that also against the rules here and considered going off-topic?

Or what about throwing off-topic walls of text in spoiler tags?

Honestly?  It seemed like Trakan derailed the thread better than the mormon underwear stuff.  All it's done was get a couple of people outraged.

We could all go back to holding conversations like Spoder... it hurts the head to read.  Course it was already admitted to mass deletion ANYWAYS.

FYI, I find pics amusing about 9/10's of the time in this thread.

Here's an idea.

Go take all the off-topic items to a social group and it ends up being a win-win. You all can do what you want in there and no one will care.

For those people that don't want to deal with the OT items, they won't.

Here's an idea.

Go take all the off-topic items to a social group and it ends up being a win-win. You all can do what you want in there and no one will care.

I do feel like your past is taking the fun out of CAG, the people. Of course we post sales, but as someone said before, threads are mostly 5% deals 95% discussions halfway based on it. For that reason, are we not a social group? I'd figure the people would read the OP if they wanted just sales. I thought the reason these are open threads were to be a social discussion around that, and more. People do get off track, but that's human nature. We're all humans here, and we should talk as them, not as mice and gods.

I do feel like your past is taking the fun out of CAG, the people. Of course we post sales, but as someone said before, threads are mostly 5% deals 95% discussions halfway based on it. For that reason, are we not a social group? I'd figure the people would read the OP if they wanted just sales. I thought the reason these are open threads were to be a social discussion around that, and more. People do get off track, but that's human nature. We're all humans here, and we should talk as them, not as mice and gods.
The only other thing I was thinking - we start a "CAG Steam Friends Thread" on Off-Topic Forums for CAG'ers that like to joke around and stuff.

And we talk about anything there and also video-gam-- wait, that Forum's supposed to be NOT About Video Games & NOT About Game Deals.

{pouts}

The only other thing I was thinking - we start a "CAG Steam Friends Thread" on Off-Topic Forums for CAG'ers that like to joke around and stuff.
And we talk about anything there and also video-gam-- wait, that's supposed to be NOT About Video Games & NOT About Game Deals.
{pouts}
Or have OP post that it will contain off topic discussions? I'd like to see that, as I enjoy the quirky humor of this group.

I won't read a different thread.  I read this one.  When Steam updates once a day at 1pm EST... what are we supposed to talk about for the other 23 hrs? 

Hell, ever since the site switch my reading of these forums has dropped anyways.  I don't find them nearly as user friendly and I can't ever find what I'm looking for.  I figured out how to do this and Amazon thread and make sure I track them.  That's about the extent of my current CAG use.

The ramblings of Motoki (are we allowed to mention Motoki since the banning thing?) and Idiot, and Spoder, and everyone else... I like the ramblings.  Better than the Steam Sale of 10% off Magicka (again).

P.S.  I'm well aware Motoki is still around.  It was a ill-thought out pointed jab.  I KNOW someone will feel the need to correct me.

And we talk about anything there and also video-gam-- wait, that Forum's supposed to be NOT About Video Games & NOT About Game Deals.

{pouts}
Too many restrictions and categorisations sigh. It's a thread and a forum... so just let us talk dammit! It's not like we're not talking about deals and games at all!

{pouts}
Yeah but then we have to go to two threads and we'll have to follow two sets of conversations.

I'm tired already

I have no problem with you guys discussing the games themselves.  Random obnoxious pictures, youtube videos, internet memes, and religious discussion are not needed in this thread.  Believe it or not some people actually like reading the thread for what's on sale.  Like shrike said, there are measures in place for you guys who do want to have a place for discussion on anything. 

I have no problem with you guys discussing the games themselves. Random obnoxious pictures, youtube videos, internet memes, and religious discussion are not needed in this thread. Believe it or not some people actually like reading the thread for what's on sale. Like shrike said, there are measures in place for you guys who do want to have a place for discussion on anything.
Can we change the OP to say that it's full of Off Topic diiscussions? Not to sound rude, but there was some game discussion posts that were deleted within the wake of other posts.

I finally got my second foil drop for Beat Hazard. It takes a few minutes for my badges page to load now, and I was both surprised and relieved not to see any new games today. My idling hours are up to 250 for the past two weeks. What's even more surprising is that my higher-priced cards on the market are finally selling (averaging like 50 cents per common now). Not enough for Ys, but it's something until the winter sale. ;)

(mods note: Steam has added trading cards, so this is topic-relevant discussion)

I won't read a different thread. I read this one. When Steam updates once a day at 1pm EST... what are we supposed to talk about for the other 23 hrs?
STALKER's on sale today. For anyone who missed it, which mods do you recommend? Just the basic double performance/improve quality mod, or STALKER Complete 2009(2012)? Is Clear Sky totally missable due to its redundancy, or did you actually find it to be the best of the three? Have you never played any of those games? Then it's worth picking up at least Shadow of Chernobyl, and probably Call of Pripyat as well.

I spy Space Hulk on the Steam store's front page as well, now. Two weeks to go! Any interest?

And how about Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing for $3.49 at GGG? Yay or nay? Edit: oops, thought this one was the recent one with the trading cards. In that case, I'm voting "nay"!

Or if you really have nothing to say... perhaps say nothing? I often go weeks at a time without actually posting, because someone else has already said what I want to say, or because I can't imagine anyone finding my post interesting, or because CAG's forum style changed and I want to get those little Karl Pilkington heads off my Chrome tabs ASAP. Despite appearances to the contrary, there's not actually a requirement here to clutter up deals threads with inanity. :boxing:

Who are the smartest devs with this Steam card thing? SCS (Euro Truck Sim 2). Why? They made one emoticon that's actually useful. A Stop sign. Despite it being just a common emoticon it is selling at around $2 per emoticon and it is selling well every day. If more devs put out emoticons that could potentially fit in a conversation they might be getting that money like SCS.
I thought the same thing as I was looking through them on the marketplace last night. The STOP sign definitely caught my attention and the price was noted.

Most of them would never be inserted into a conversation and many of them are flat-out stupid. And maybe my screen resolution is not great enough but it's even hard to see what many of them are. Look up Witcher 2 emoticons for some good (bad) examples.

But if we're going to define "smart" as designing an emoticon that is going to be in demand... we need look no further than here. Consequently, look at the prices at which their cards are selling.

STALKER's on sale today. For anyone who missed it, which mods do you recommend? Just the basic double performance/improve quality mod, or STALKER Complete 2009(2012)? Is Clear Sky totally missable due to its redundancy, or did you actually find it to be the best of the three? Have you never played any of those games? Then it's worth picking up at least Shadow of Chernobyl, and probably Call of Pripyat as well.

I spy Space Hulk on the Steam store's front page as well, now. Two weeks to go! Any interest?

And how about Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing for $3.49 at GGG? Yay or nay? Edit: oops, thought this one was the recent one with the trading cards. In that case, I'm voting "nay"!

Or if you really have nothing to say... perhaps say nothing? I often go weeks at a time without actually posting, because someone else has already said what I want to say, or because I can't imagine anyone finding my post interesting, or because CAG's forum style changed and I want to get those little Karl Pilkington heads off my Chrome tabs ASAP. Despite appearances to the contrary, there's not actually a requirement here to clutter up deals threads with inanity. :boxing:
1. Why would you buy Sonic racing: The Not Transformed Edition

2. We have discussed STALKER in length earlier and mod recommendations are in the OP.

3. If you don't like the "inanity" then block the users who post it, that simple. I personally greatly enjoy skimming through the thread in the morning to see what hilarity ensured while I was asleep.

Please accept my apologies, Momouchi, I read all twenty posts - I mean, the comprehensive discussion - about STALKER but missed IkedaTeramusa's contributions - perhaps they were deleted? There wasn't exactly a STALKER mod discussion, either - just "use Complete". I'm surprised no-one mentioned using Float32 if you just want to improve graphics/performance without changing the game - but again, maybe that was brought up and discussed comprehensively in IkedaTeramuda's deleted STALKER posts? :D

(Are you confusing "inane" and... errr... "insane", possibly? I enjoy reading fun/funny posts, too - they contribute something, although I completely understand why it must annoy people here when they spiral out into pages of thread-destroying off-topicness. Look up "inane", it can be your word of the day! :))

I thought the same thing as I was looking through them on the marketplace last night. The STOP sign definitely caught my attention and the price was noted.

Most of them would never be inserted into a conversation and many of them are flat-out stupid. And maybe my screen resolution is not great enough but it's even hard to see what many of them are. Look up Witcher 2 emoticons for some good (bad) examples.

But if we're going to define "smart" as designing an emoticon that is going to be in demand... we need look no further than here. Consequently, look at the prices at which their cards are selling.
Shiiiiiiit...

I spam my diamond emoticon I got from Monaco in all my Steam convos. Gotta let everyone know how much swag I got.

If people would just drop it when something gets deleted instead of bringing it up again and again then the mods wouldn't sit in here monitoring everything. Instead people have to take jabs at them, rehash what got deleted, and then start over once that gets deleted.

Just let it go.

For what it's worth, I stopped even coming to this thread to talk games just because it is and has been OT stream of consciousness nonsense for months now. The cards really shoved it over the cliff.

I hardly think it's unreasonable for this thread to be asked to keep on topic to game-and-deals chat but that's up to the mods and the community and they made their vote clear.

Well after giving Terraria another go, I'm not finding as much appeal in it as I hoped I would have.  So far it's basically a 2D Minecraft and nothing else.  If the controls or crafting aspects of it were as good or better then Minecraft I would get it, but it really feels just like a gimped version.  Mining for blocks isn't as easy/smooth as it could be and crafting isn't really as fun.  I'll give the game a few more hours to see if I'm just missing something, but a disappointment so far. 

Picked up Unepic since I had 4.83 from cardz money so only cost me like 3 bucks. Gonna try it out now, looks fun.

Payday has nice cards but they should have switch their emoticons images with their badges. I noticed that Double Fine games have a lot of cards and all their badges are plain looking. Most of the 8-bit games tend to release a lot of cards for their set. I can't help but to feel that some of these developers are just trying to make quick cash on this card frenzy instead of putting their hearts into designing something that would really look good.

I read a little of this thread for the first time in ages tonight, and it's the same nonsense that made me stop reading it a while back. I even have a bunch of people who don't contribute anything blocked, but it's still pretty limited in terms of on-topic discussion. I've been going elsewhere for deal news and game discussion for months, since this thread went off the rails.

I don't really care if this post gets deleted. Just wanted to let the mods and whoever else sees it that the constant OT chat room posting of 10-20 highly active posters IS driving traffic away from the site.

Here's an idea.

Also, we can just replace all the PC threads on the forum with IsThereAnyDeal.com and there'll be no terrible, terrible conversation at all to detract from the pure and sterile wonderment of discounts. Win-win!

I read a little of this thread for the first time in ages tonight, and it's the same nonsense that made me stop reading it a while back. I even have a bunch of people who don't contribute anything blocked, but it's still pretty limited in terms of on-topic discussion. I've been going elsewhere for deal news and game discussion for months, since this thread went off the rails.

I don't really care if this post gets deleted. Just wanted to let the mods and whoever else sees it that the constant OT chat room posting of 10-20 highly active posters IS driving traffic away from the site.
Interesting, cause I started reading the thread more and more (till it became my go to thread every morning) due to the fact that there were generally some interesting/weird/funny discussions going on between a lot of the people, including some OT stuff, but also a lot of debates about games, reviews and recommendations.

I would probably stop reading the thread if it was just:

"Today's deal is:

1. Random game number 1 for x amount of crap

2. Random game number 2 for x amount of crap"

While this should be posted, it isn't necessary to limit the conversation to only this. I certainly would feel no interest in contributing to it. I could just pull that stuff off IsThereAnyDeal, SteamGameSales or the many other such sites out there. Also, that's what the OP is for, and if people only want to check out the deals available and not the conversations, why not just read the OP?

Also, cardz are awesome.

Here's an idea.

Or we could just leave.

This thread largely is what it is due to the sometimes freewheeling socializing. It's the draw. If we lose the social aspect there really is no reason to use this site instead of Reddit and various Steam groups for deal news.

Also, we can just replace all the PC threads on the forum with IsThereAnyDeal.com and there'll be no terrible, terrible conversation at all to detract from the pure and sterile wonderment of discounts. Win-win!
There's a difference between "Hey, Stalker's on sale. Is it as unfriendly as I've heard?" and "Guys I just put peanut butter into my 360 and it stopped working". Even card talk should probably be relegated to a different thread unless it's related to deals. Like "I heard they're going to be adding cards to Stalker" as opposed to "Do you think TF2 cards will go from 10 cents a card to 12 cents a card? I must know!".

I mean hell, if you want to bullshit with people on CAG there are off topic and platform specific sub-forums. The deals forum Steam thread should be talking about deals themselves and things relating to the deals.

Hmmm...maybe I should also stop posting big iron-clad walls of text in one post, as well. ;)

That way if I post something and it gets tossed, I won't feel so bad - losing tons of walls of text.
This! 100% My big multiquote answers post gone because of the "terminate with extreme prejudice" policy due to one little thing a mod didn't like about it (not possibly offensive material). One post per quote from now on.

Yep. That's my main complaint about emoticons, Most are utterly useless, And some of those that aren't are rubbish at emoticon size. My collection is merely the SR3 emoicons, and dice from TL2. I want TBP emoticons but they're too bloody expensive.

Or we could just leave.

This thread largely is what it is due to the sometimes freewheeling socializing. It's the draw. If we lose the social aspect there really is no reason to use this site instead of Reddit and various Steam groups for deal news.
You've got a point. I come to a forum called Cheapassgamer and go to a thread called "The Steam deals thread" to read a bunch of shit unrelated to Steam, deals, and often even PC gaming.

There's a difference between "Hey, Stalker's on sale. Is it as unfriendly as I've heard?" and "Guys I just put peanut butter into my 360 and it stopped working".
I'm sure someone would be terribly upset to see the Stalker comment. If you're going to allow for conversation beyond "Stalker: SOC - $4.99" then you're going to have to accept the burden that not everyone draws the "acceptable conversation" line at the same place as you. For example, card talk is effectively discussing monetary credit to be redeemed on Steam, thus making games cheaper. I'd say that completely fits within the spirit of the thread but you've already demonstrated that you feel otherwise unless there's some specific circumstance tied to a game on sale.

Also, I'm a little amused at the number of people who have stopped reading this thread due to chatter but knew to pop in tonight during mod smack-down and comment on how they've stopped reading the thread :lol:

Also, in response to the steering wheel talk before, I'd just like to point out that Keyboard + Mouse is a perfectly great way to play ETS2.  Other racing games, probably not, but most of them are probably optimized for the 360 controller so that would work fine.

Trying to play ETS2 with just a keyboard is CRAP.  Utter crap.  Hyper sensitive.  Jerking left and right.  I jack knifed my trailer once and almost did it two other times. 

Sunasun broke the forum.

Also, in response to the steering wheel talk before, I'd just like to point out that Keyboard + Mouse is a perfectly great way to play ETS2. Other racing games, probably not, but most of them are probably optimized for the 360 controller so that would work fine.

Trying to play ETS2 with just a keyboard is CRAP. Utter crap. Hyper sensitive. Jerking left and right. I jack knifed my trailer once and almost did it two other times.
As in mouse steering? I originally set it to that but then moving the mouse didn't seem to steer the truck, just look out the windows. I may have somehow screwed up setting the option. Agreed that keyboard steering is terrible; I ran one delivery and called it a night based on how often I was flinging the truck into oncoming traffic or up onto the curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back