The Tragical History of Doctor Mana Knightus (Banned Users Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I don't think anyone is attacking Casey. People just want accountability and the same guidelines applied to all members.

[quote name='neocisco']Again, I don't think anyone is attacking Casey. People just want accountability and the same guidelines applied to all members.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Crotch']Direct me to this backlash of which you speak. I see a lot of people questioning the decision, but I can not recall anyone actually attacking Casey. Of course, I'm too much of a lazy prick to go back and read all the posts in this thread again, so they could be in there.[/QUOTE]

What they said.

Like the others said, no one is attacking Casey. No one even knew he was the one that banned TMK until he admitted it. Besides, your idea of CAG being better with TMK gone is ridiculous. Even if it is better (it's not), it's ridiculous to suggest that unfairly banning someone for the betterment of the board is even close to fair, especially when so many people didn't have a problem with the person in question.

On another note, this seems to be pretty polarazing. Who would have thought the banning of TMK would be one of the hottest topics here in a while?

Sometimes I had trouble believing TMK was a real person and not just some Sony Defense character. He was a fucking psycho. Kinda glad hes gone for aforementioned reasons in the thread.

I dont think its TMK we are worried about, its the fact that being banned for being a rabid fanboy is what is concerning to most.

I think we just need fair ground laid out, this place does not have to become ban central, ala NeoGAF, but we do need some more bannings around here to try and clean up the crap.

[quote name='prmononoke']Like the others said, no one is attacking Casey. No one even knew he was the one that banned TMK until he admitted it. Besides, your idea of CAG being better with TMK gone is ridiculous. Even if it is better (it's not), it's ridiculous to suggest that unfairly banning someone for the betterment of the board is even close to fair, especially when so many people didn't have a problem with the person in question.

On another note, this seems to be pretty polarazing. Who would have thought the banning of TMK would be one of the hottest topics here in a while?[/quote]
Perhaps "backlash" was too strong of a word?

And how exactly is it ridiculous? Why is CAG better with him around? And again, how was it unfair for him to be banned? He was warned multiple times, he was banned for failing to adhere to the forums rules. It's not that complicated, really... the forums are better with him gone.

It wasn't just Mana arguing over PS3, it was others as well. People knew good and well what the guy was about and they argued with him anyway. Sure he posted threads and defended PS3, but people could have just ignored him. Are we also going to ban people who troll PS3 threads with the same tired arguments? What about the ones that do the same with the 360 or Wii? He did go over the top but it wasn't just Mana posting and arguing with himself.

I think the idea of a banned user thread is good. Helps show people what is unacceptable behavior.

On the other hand I don't think TMK should be banned unless you are going to ban the many others that are far worse than him. Any regular CAG knows who these people are.

I'd be up for TMK being collateral damage as long as we can get some others in the blast.

For instance, I would encourage a mod to look at the percentage of jollydwarf's posts in the Wii forums only that have no purpose other than to promote discord (Hint: nearly all of them)

I'd be more than happy to dive deep and submit a detailed case history as evidence

So. TMK died for our LULZ? It is sad but am I the only one that has the weird feeling that The Mana Knight was the reincarnation of Johnny Turbo? I mean the attitude and style is too coincidental for my tastes.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Maybe now he'll have the time to find his first girlfriend.[/quote]

You're under the assumption that he is real. Everyone knows that he's Sony's version of Johnny Turbo. Silly girl and her notions of TMK being a real person. What's wrong with you?

I haven't seen any of his posts so I can't really say if he should have been banned or not, but perma'd? Fanboyism isn't a very good reason to ban someone. This is a gaming site fanyboys are in the majority. While some may take it too far they should be suspended with a warning. The punishment doesn't fit the crime.

I agree with the OP that a little transparency wouldn't hurt. I think it would do all sides good.

(Can someone quickly, in a nutshell, explain why the Mana Knight was banned? He was the dude with the identity problems, right? He looked like a cool kid, but liked niche RPGs, that sort of thing... or am I thinking of someone else?)

[quote name='The Crotch']Massive, insane, embarrassing levels of fanboyism. It's, like... reading his posts would make you embarrassed to have ever owned a Sony product. Or watched a film with the name "Sony" attached to it. Or bought a CD. Or, really, even acknowledge the existence of the nation of Japan.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing it up, though it should be noted that I'm a huge idiot for reading this whole thread and not realizing that TMK = TheManaKnight.

Sorry.

[quote name='Blackout542']People knew good and well what the guy was about and they argued with him anyway.[/QUOTE]
...and some went out of their way to taunt him, make fun of him, and piss him off.

Just wanted to add another vote against ManaKnight's ban. I didn't have a huge issue with the so-called fanboyism because it was generally backed up and more eloquent than the typical fanboys you see online. However, I did notice an instance of him going off on a personal attack out of nowhere which is definitely not cool, so I say bring him back and tell him to chill out a bit. Put him on probation and see if he can take a break from the Sony talk if he understands how much it bugged other people.

Generally he seemed like a decent guy. And how come nobody's mentioned that he was the only one doing anything to set up CAG Warhawk games? Granted, I missed the last couple games but I appreciate the effort.

[quote name='metaly']Just wanted to add another vote against ManaKnight's ban. I didn't have a huge issue with the so-called fanboyism because it was generally backed up and more eloquent than the typical fanboys you see online. However, I did notice an instance of him going off on a personal attack out of nowhere which is definitely not cool, so I say bring him back and tell him to chill out a bit. Put him on probation and see if he can take a break from the Sony talk if he understands how much it bugged other people.

Generally he seemed like a decent guy. And how come nobody's mentioned that he was the only one doing anything to set up CAG Warhawk games? Granted, I missed the last couple games but I appreciate the effort.[/quote]

I second that.

If you go by what people have been posting here if makes Mana look like a lunatic, which he's not. Fanboy, most definitely. Over the top, sometimes. But there was a lot of good he also brought to the forums. My 2 cents.

[quote name='daphatty']I'm glad you pointed this out.

We will be addressing the issue of "rudeness and negativity on CAG" very soon. If you suspect yourself (anyone reading this post) to have been a part of this problem, do yourself a favor and start being nicer.[/quote] Oh yeah, how about we do that. Want to know why Punk_Raven left? That reason right the fuck there. Everyone pushed his buttons and was a dick to him. You just can't deny that. I (He'd ) get ignored, bitches would read posts that were quoted , they'd make some shitty smart ass response, not listen to my (his ) response, rinse, repeat. "Pushing buttons " described it perfectly. It seemed like nobody ever acknowledges that factor. I suppose that still makes him a crybaby, though.
bugmenot account. Also, can someone re-register after asking for a ban? Don't want to do this now, seeing as CAG is still full of dicks, but I"m just wondering

This whole thing was handled pretty poorly, overall.

I understand some of the issues at hand, but there's no excuse for defaulting to a permanent ban. A warning, temporary ban should've been used and then if after that expired he hadn't cleaned up his act, the permanent ban should've been in place. It should be noted that his ban noticed listed the reason of "fanboyism." So that is the reason he was banned.

I fear for the precedent these events set.

[quote name='The Crotch']C'mon, DMK. You know we're supposed to refer to those we have problems with as "you know who" or "that certain poster" or "someone who I will not name, but everyone knows who I'm talking about". Besides that, this isn't the "Hey, you banned Mana - now how about doing something about DMK/Shrike/Crotch?" thread.[/quote]Thanks for tossing me under the bus with you and DMK. :whistle2:s

I agree with banning the Mana Knight, he does turn most of the threads he posts in into a flame war. Either through his own comments or because of people baiting him with posts they know he'll react to.

He was the only cag on my ignore list and reading the forums was a better experience for it.

As someone else posted I think the ban will help him as well as he seemed way too emotionally invested in defending Sony, one less place he has to do that may help free up some time to get his emotional problems sorted out, or at least better managed.

Seriously banning someone for the passion they have for a game system on a site that pretty much circulates around games? Everyone on here pretty much at one time or another has posted something that is questionable, me personally I have not held back with any rants I felt like posting. All the encounters I have had with TMK in the past I can not recall any of them seriously getting to me..

If anything I see this ban from someone taking something personal or just plain personal irritation which would in a way be abuse of your "Mod" powers.

So are you going to ban everyone for posting opinions on a message board especially when people are falling victim posting about games on a gaming thread????

"Really"

[quote name='Derrick1979']Seriously banning someone for the passion they have for a game system on a site that pretty much circulates around games? Everyone on here pretty much at one time or another has posted something that is questionable, me personally I have not held back with any rants I felt like posting. All the encounters I have had with TMK in the past I can not recall any of them seriously getting to me..

If anything I see this ban from someone taking something personal or just plain personal irritation which would in a way be abuse of your "Mod" powers.

So are you going to ban everyone for posting opinions on a message board especially when people are falling victim posting about games on a gaming thread????

"Really"[/QUOTE]
No doubt he had passion for the system, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, he took it a step further and went completely nuts over any little mention about Sony, or stuff that was perceived to be about Sony. It sounds like he was given fair warning to calm it down a bit, and he didn't; hence, he was banned.

[quote name='The Crotch']See: Botticus' post.
This, of course, would explain why everyone here knew what was going on with Mana before Casey told us in this thread. And shit, this is the second iteration of this thread in as many days.[/QUOTE]

I don't get what was so hard to figure out about this banning. the guy derailed every freaking thread and turned them into flame wars. he was also batshit insane and claimed to be physically affected by the site and by teh console warz

It's annoying that a bunch of lurkers and people who don't frequent the same threads as him (and I) are complaining about his banning, as if we need a justice system on CAG. A ban list is not going to help anyone either...for one thing, when was the last time someone was banned for anything other than having multiple accounts or for acting like an all around douche? hint: never.

if you see someone banned, go to the OTT and ask why they were banned. Better yet-- PM a mod. Most of them seem nice enough to give some kind of response.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I ain't afaid to say that I gave TMK the boot. I banned him because I just became fed up with his crap and his fanboyism. Let me be frank, his fanboyism is completely on a different level than most other people. The common comparison has been between Linkin and TMK lately, but that is completely unfair. Linkin doesn't run around bashing systems and trying to start flame wars and arguments based on what system that they liked.

Also I am probably the only mod who actually goes through and reads the PS3 board on a daily basis. After a while, TMK just grates on you with his posts and his constant quest to start flame wars. For the betterment of CAG I felt he had to go.[/quote]

I hope you understand that you'll have his blood on your hands. Guy was lonely enough as it was...

[quote name='Zen Davis']I hope you understand that you'll have his blood on your hands. Guy was lonely enough as it was...[/quote]

:roll:

Okay, Miyamoto.

[quote name='Trakan']It wasn't out of nowhere. He had been warned by plenty of mods in the past. He can cry and say whatever he wants to TFN on AIM, but it wasn't out of nowhere. I don't get why this is such a big deal. He was a troll who derailed every thread he posted in. CAG is better without him.[/quote]
He was like the crazy uncle that grew on your after a while with his quirks. Think Dr. Emmett Brown but instead of science, he was all about the PS3. I never took him all that seriously.

[quote name='TFN']:roll:

Okay, Miyamoto.[/quote]

And I expect you to keep calling me that.

[quote name='Apossum']I don't get what was so hard to figure out about this banning. the guy derailed every freaking thread and turned them into flame wars. he was also batshit insane and claimed to be physically affected by the site and by teh console warz [/Quote]

Excellent point.

[quote name='Apossum']It's annoying that a bunch of lurkers and people who don't frequent the same threads as him (and I) are complaining about his banning, as if we need a justice system on CAG. [/QUOTE]

Another excellent point, seems most people defending him are lurkers. Dude said he would literally cry if Playstation stopped being made. Case closed.

Hopefully this banning will allow him to explore social options.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Another excellent point, seems most people defending him are lurkers. Dude said he would literally cry if Playstation stopped being made. Case closed.

Hopefully this banning will allow him to explore social options.[/quote]I'm a lurker? Crap. :(

[quote name='jimfoley16']You're one of the only exceptions :cool:[/quote]*whew* I'm hip again.

Seroiously, though. I can't see how anyone can be happy with the way this was handled. No-warning-perma-bans are not the way to run a ship with an established member.

Temp bans as warnings? Certainly. Did Mana need a warning? Probably. But not like this.

After reading through the entire thread and every post here, I have to say that I think that Mana Knight should be given one last chance. As others have said, this stems mostly from the sympathy I've developed for him from CAG Lifestyle posts. If he flunks out this time, I think everyone would be in agreement to let him go, especially since we all went to bat for him one last time and he decided he didn't want to be contributing member of the community.

Also, I understand that Cheapy is a busy guy, but he should have his thumb on all of his moderators to see that they do the right thing instead of just blindly backing them up on everything. I've been through a lot of different message boards and CAG has probably the most concretely mature community that I've seen and I hate to see that change.

In a community, the leaders have a responsibility to the people and the people have a responsibility to their leaders. It's a symbiotic relationship. However if CAG tries to become some sort of hand holding, nanny state, where bannings are rampant, it's going to make a lot of members uneasy and make the forums a lot less fun to visit. It's really no different than banning tag or any of the other crazy/fun stuff that goes on in schools in the name of safety/the community.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't bubble wrap everything, if you get what I mean.

[quote name='Zen Davis']CAG has probably the most concretely mature community that I've seen and I hate to see that change. [/quote] exactly, which is why ThatManaKnight is gone. If you mentioned something about Sony suckin' dick, he'd hop in the thread a day later w/ a response to what you said even though it was 200 posts before like a :baby:... which was pretty much every thread.

[quote name='TFN']exactly, which is why ThatManaKnight is gone. If you mentioned something about Sony suckin' dick, he'd hop in the thread a day later w/ a response to what you said even though it was 200 posts before like a :baby:... which was pretty much every thread.[/quote]
But I always thought that was funny. I never took that seriously. It's like if a hobo called me something derogratory. I could never take it seriously. Besides, I would never say something stupid like "Sony sucks dick."

I mean I like to believe that I have bit more wit to me than that, but that's neither here or there.

[quote name='Zen Davis']But I always thought that was funny. I never took that crap seriously. It's like if a hobo called me something derogratory. I could never take it seriously.[/quote]Exactly.

TMK didn't even curse like a lot of the dick heads on this site.

[quote name='Zen Davis']After reading through the entire thread and every post here, I have to say that I think that Mana Knight should be given one last chance. As others have said, this stems mostly from the sympathy I've developed for him from CAG Lifestyle posts. If he flunks out this time, I think everyone would be in agreement to let him go, especially since we all went to bat for him one last time and he decided he didn't want to be contributing member of the community.

Also, I understand that Cheapy is a busy guy, but he should have his thumb on all of his moderators to see that they do the right thing instead of just blindly backing them up on everything. I've been through a lot of different message boards and CAG has probably the most concretely mature community that I've seen and I hate to see that change.

In a community, the leaders have a responsibility to the people and the people have a responsibility to their leaders. It's a symbiotic relationship. However if CAG tries to become some sort of hand holding, nanny state, where bannings are rampant, it's going to make a lot of members uneasy and make the forums a lot less fun to visit. It's really no different than banning tag or any of the other crazy/fun stuff that goes on in schools in the name of safety/the community.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't bubble wrap everything, if you get what I mean.[/QUOTE]

my point in case-- you post in the nintendo forums, what could you possibly gain from TMK sticking around? what would this thread tell you about TMK's post history? nothing.

I can't believe people are interpreting this as a sign that CAG is going to become a police state...a lot of you are reading wayyyy too deeply into this.

[quote name='daroga']
Seroiously, though. I can't see how anyone can be happy with the way this was handled. No-warning-perma-bans are not the way to run a ship with an established member.[/quote]

I wasn't implying that you, inufaye, whoknows, or the other ggt'ers who are sticking up for him are random. just everyone else who is :)

but straight from the mod's mouth:
[quote name='Trakan']It wasn't out of nowhere. He had been warned by plenty of mods in the past. He can cry and say whatever he wants to TFN on AIM, but it wasn't out of nowhere. I don't get why this is such a big deal. He was a troll who derailed every thread he posted in. CAG is better without him.[/quote]

@ Miyamoto. Sure nobody here took him seriously, but he took himself and his beliefs seriously.. and thats where it started getting out of hand.
[quote name='dallow']Exactly.

TMK didn't even curse like a lot of the dick heads on this site.[/quote]
You must have missed when his volcano project erupted all over his DDR mats.

-giggles-

[quote name='TFN']You must have missed when his volcano project erupted all over his DDR mats.

-giggles-[/quote]It's his blood pressure man. I can't blame him! ;)

[quote name='TFN']exactly, which is why ThatManaKnight is gone. If you mentioned something about Sony suckin' dick, he'd hop in the thread a day later w/ a response to what you said even though it was 200 posts before like a :baby:... which was pretty much every thread.[/QUOTE]

Why does he not have the right to say something back if the other poster says that Sony sucks dick? Shouldn't the person that posted the comment about Sony get permanently banned as well?

It seems that all the blame is being placed on TMK, when its the original comments/other posters were the ones that caused the ruckus. All he ever really did was defend his system of choice when other people would bad mouth it, and he got banned for it. What punishment do other posters who constantly bash other systems get?

It looks like someone is trying to make an example of TMK, while letting people who are much worse than him get away with it. There are much larger problems with CAG posters than being a fanboy. What about all of the people who brag about ripping off people/companies? Those are the people that should be focused on banning.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Why does he not have the right to say something back if the other poster says that Sony sucks dick?[/QUOTE]

This is an issue that affects everyone, not just TMK. If someone posts derogatory comments like this in a thread and you respond in kind, you are feeding the troll and are no better than the troll himself.

Just report the post and let a mod deal with it. You guys are great at reporting Spam posters. Forum trolls shouldn't be treated any different.

I see a lot of people saying he was banned without warning, but didn't 2 mods say he'd been warned several times.

Another reason I think he should stay banned is that he became a focus for people posting anti-sony threads just to get a reaction out of him. He didn't seem mature enough to just rise above it, so they will keep doing it.

Plus the occasional personal attacks were uncalled for, if someone does that more than once, they should be banned IMO.

[quote name='benjamouth']

Another reason I think he should stay banned is that he became a focus for people posting anti-sony threads just to get a reaction out of him. [/QUOTE]

That is not something that he should be punished for.

[quote name='dallow']Exactly.

TMK didn't even curse like a lot of the dick heads on this site.[/QUOTE]
Dude was a saint.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No I'm not you fucking idiot. I was just stating the fucking truth over what fucking happened. I know very well dust doesn't void the fucking PS3 warranty and someone was just fucking trying to bring Sony fucking down.
Your fucking believing this fucking stupid shit??? What the fuck is wrong with too many fucking people these days. Trying to find any fucking reason to fucking hate Sony and the fucking PS3 all over fucking bonus articles that have no fucking meaning.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/11/11/no-dust-doesnt-void-your-warranty-but-it-might/

See, I told everyone dust doesn't void the PS3 warranty. That is just more FUD spread at Sony.

All of you were owned who feel Sony would do such a thing.

Now if you want to talk about bad customer service, I could bring up that story about that guy who had to make several calls to 1-800-4MYXBOX.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zewone']Dude was a saint.[/quote]
I'm not defending TMK, but I've seen many posts from other memebers that were very similar :lol: (I don't think I need to mention any names hehe).

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']I'm not defending TMK, but I've seen many posts that were very similar :lol:[/QUOTE]
Oh, I know, I was just showing dullow that even our dear ThatManaKnight wasn't above cursing.

[quote name='zewone']Oh, I know, I was just showing dullow that even our dear ThatManaKnight wasn't above cursing.[/quote]For the most part, he didn't.
I didn't watch him like a hawk like some people.

I blame the blood pressure, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back