The Tragical History of Doctor Mana Knightus (Banned Users Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='benjamouth']I see a lot of people saying he was banned without warning, but didn't 2 mods say he'd been warned several times.[/quote]They said that, yeah, but I've yet to see any proof on it. I suppose it's his word against their's. I'm not saying he wasn't warned, but I never saw a mod step into one of his rants with a stern warning.

If he was warned in PMs and lied to me, then shame on him. If the mods are lying to cover their butts on an impulsive, unjustifiably harsh action, shame on them.

[quote name='daroga']They said that, yeah, but I've yet to see any proof on it. I suppose it's his word against their's. I'm not saying he wasn't warned, but I never saw a mod step into one of his rants with a stern warning.

If he was warned in PMs and lied to me, then shame on him. If the mods are lying to cover their butts on an impulsive, unjustifiably harsh action, shame on them.[/quote]

I just think that since the majority of the community has been asking that Mana Knight be given a Temp Ban instead of a Permanent one, the mods should give the benefit of a doubt to the community and let Mana Knight back in.

I have a feeling that certain people treat him like the old man who doesn't like kids on their lawn and so kids step specifically on his lawn to get a reaction.

Knight should be allowed a change of name so that only the mods know who he is and give me one last chance so this way people don't goad him into flame wars. If he still starts flaming with the new name, he should be kicked for good.

I mainly lurk in the PS3 and Wii forums, and never took issue with TMK. Sure, he was a little psycho, but it was entertaining for the most part. Rarely did his posts degrade into name calling or insults (and usually only when specifically provoked). Most of his posts were just obviously over the top Sony-love, but I never found it disruptive.

You have to look at the good things he did as well. He, more than most, has been the driving force behind a lot of organized CAG PS3 games. He set up, maintained, and ran several gaming groups.

He also seemed to avoid other platform forums - I suppose invoking the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule. Which is more than I can say for a lot of the outspoken people here.

[quote name='daroga']They said that, yeah, but I've yet to see any proof on it. I suppose it's his word against their's. I'm not saying he wasn't warned, but I never saw a mod step into one of his rants with a stern warning.

If he was warned in PMs and lied to me, then shame on him. If the mods are lying to cover their butts on an impulsive, unjustifiably harsh action, shame on them.[/quote]

I've warned him, in threads. I can't remember specific instances. No, it wasn't terribly recent either.

It wasn't impulsive, unjustified, or harsh. I don't know how many times I have to say this.

[quote name='Trakan']I've warned him, in threads. I can't remember specific instances. No, it wasn't terribly recent either.

It wasn't impulsive, unjustified, or harsh. I don't know how many times I have to say this.[/quote]Truth be told, you could say it 1000 times and it wouldn't matter. Those are all subjective evaluations of the situation.

If those warnings were a while back and not recently, the fuels the thought even more that this was implusive, unjustified, and harsh.

I'm not really sure why this is being debated. Why would you not make the ban temporary and if he proves to be a problem to the site THEN drop the full-fledged hammer? If everyone assumes that's going to be the outcome anyway, it should please the people who seem to dislike him. If, by some miracle, we're not able to tell the future and maybe he would calm down and continue just being a productive member of the forum (as is easily seen looking at the PS3 game organization he did for those folks), then we've restored an asset to the community.

Seems pretty win-win to make the ban temporary to me.

[quote name='Trakan']I've warned him, in threads. I can't remember specific instances. No, it wasn't terribly recent either.

It wasn't impulsive, unjustified, or harsh. I don't know how many times I have to say this.[/quote]

But since the majority of the community is asking that you give him one more chance, won't you please consider it?

I'm not sure why this is being debated.

How about we trust the mods to do their job?

Cheapy picked them because he respects their decision making skills, so why not back them up by not making a big deal over something as meaningless as this?

Yeah, give him a couple weeks ban.

Tell him too cool it in the general gaming, or stick to the PS3 forum as he always did.
He did a lot organizing game nights, and such.

Though I never participated, I saw many that did.

[quote name='Trakan']
It wasn't impulsive, unjustified, or harsh. I don't know how many times I have to say this.[/QUOTE]
You're gonna have to keep saying it because you're wrong. His banning was all of those things.

I hated that kid just as much as most people here, but it still doesn't mean that we get to ban everyone we one we dislike. For every instance ThatManaKnight made some ridiculous fanboy post in defense of Sony, I can show you the person that egged him on or a similar fanboy post by another member. See, even I acted like a dick towards him: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3554607&postcount=551

If he was truly being out of line more than usual, he could have received a temporary ban. The permaban for being a fanboy sets a double standard. It doesn't need to be said again but I'll say it anyway, anything he did could have been resolved by placing him on one's ignore list. That's why we have an ignore list in the first place.

Oh, and one last thing, I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

[quote name='zewone']I'm not sure why this is being debated.

Cheapy picked them because he respects their decision making skills, so why not back them up by not making a big deal over something as meaningless as this?[/quote]

Because it's not meaningless.

[quote name='zewone']I'm not sure why this is being debated.

Cheapy picked them because he respects their decision making skills, so why not back them up by not making a big deal over something as meaningless as this?[/quote][SIZE=-1]Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

And Ugamer_X, you're dead on. Thanks for your post.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='zewone']
Cheapy picked them because he respects their decision making skills, so why not back them up by not making a big deal over something as meaningless as this?[/QUOTE]
No he didn't, Cheapy picked mods based who is able to spend enough time on the forums to keep them in order. He didn't pick them because they were incapable of making mistakes.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']You're gonna have to keep saying it because you're wrong. His banning was all of those things.

I hated that kid just as much as most people here, but it still doesn't mean that we get to ban everyone we one we dislike. For every instance ThatManaKnight made some ridiculous fanboy post in defense of Sony, I can show you the person that egged him on or a similar fanboy post by another member. See, even I acted like a dick towards him: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3554607&postcount=551

If he was truly being out lof line more than usual, he could have received a temporary ban. The permaban for being a fanboy sets a double standard. It doesn't need to be said again but I'll say it anyway, anything he did could have been resolved by placing him on one's ignore list. That's why we have an ignore list in the first place.

Oh, and one last thing, I'm right and anyone who disgrees with me is wrong.[/quote]Exactly, TMK even put tons of people on his ignore list because he knew the kind of people who posted just to incite him.

I vote no. I feel that this sets a bad precedent in that everyone who is banned is going to be able to get people to petition their way back onto the board. I think he was given fair warning to calm down, didn't heed the warnings, and subsequently banned.

[quote name='docvinh']I vote no. I feel that this sets a bad precedent in that everyone who is banned is going to be able to get people to petition their way back onto the board. I think he was given fair warning to calm down, didn't heed the warnings, and subsequently banned.[/quote]The fact that he has people who even hated him backing him up in this case should tell you something.

Tons of people have been banned in the last two years.
This is the only time I have cared, or have seen so many care.

The Mana Knight is like the Shane Bettenhausen of CAG. You just have to ignore 95% of what he says, but that last 5% is usually entertaining.

[quote name='docvinh']I vote no. I feel that this sets a bad precedent in that everyone who is banned is going to be able to get people to petition their way back onto the board. I think he was given fair warning to calm down, didn't heed the warnings, and subsequently banned.[/quote]

No one would have a problem if he was temp banned before being permanently banned, which should've happened in this case and should happen in all cases (Well, most, as there's always exceptions for spammers and such who joined to cause problems). Then no one could say he didn't get a fair warning.

[quote name='dallow']Exactly, TMK even put tons of people on his ignore list because he knew the kind of people who posted just to incite him.[/quote]

Good point. The /ignore feature hasn't been brought up enough in this thread. It's tough with that guy because he straddled that "half coherent, half annoying batshit insane" fence pretty well, IMO. If the people he got under the skin of didn't stick him on ignore, wouldn't they be as much to blame as well? It's not like he didn't have this reputation for a long time. I didn't ignore him, but I did end up treating him like white noise if the post was koo koo enough.

[quote name='docvinh']I vote no. I feel that this sets a bad precedent in that everyone who is banned is going to be able to get people to petition their way back onto the board. I think he was given fair warning to calm down, didn't heed the warnings, and subsequently banned.[/quote]

:applause: Good point.

EDIT - I mean are we going to debate every person who gets banned?

In less than three days, this thread has received 170+ posts and 3,500+ views. That's really unprecedented for a thread in the Feedback forum (a forum which often goes unnoticed), and pretty good for any thread in general. If nothing else, this should demonstrate that the community is very interested in this issue.

I'm glad that so many CAGs have stepped in and given their opinion on this, one way or the other. These questions, comments, suggestions, and concerns should not be swept under the rug or ignored.

I talked with him a lot on AIM about how he handles things/his life/situation and his answers have always been ''I take pride in what I own, always have, always will''[quote name='Ugamer_X']For every instance ThatManaKnight made some ridiculous fanboy post in defense of Sony, I can show you the person that egged him on or a similar fanboy post by another member. [/quote]
I'll disagree with you there and say that nobody ever addressed him or was he a regular in the OTT. The guy would just sit there on his mornings reading through past OTTs and gather all of the information against Sony to make a giant wall of quotes w/ some kind of stupid answer to every one of them. You can't say EVERY time, because there were times where he couldn't keep his mouth shut about something and he'd let words fly as loose as most of us do.

A good example being, I mentioned my That Triple freezing on me once.. three days later he quotes my post w/ a response that was somewhere along the lines of ''Better than having a system that fucks up all the time cause their hardware is so shitty, right?'' Of course shit like that is not going to settle well with people, there are other people who take pride in what they own, too.

Trakan says he has warned him before, too.

I'm well aware that when "fanboyism" is a key word in a discussion, it is probably wisest to be quiet. I'll navigate these waters carefully.

I never thought that a banning mechanism was in place to moderate opinions of the forums' users. (The community self-moderates much of its discussions, though naturally certain conflicting opinions will never reach a meaningful resolve.) I have always seen it as a necessary tool to deal with members that set themselves apart from the community by abusing the right to type things in and click the "Submit" button. This covers trolls and spammers. And to a lesser extent, the dangerously insane.

Unless the latter are hilarious.

As I do not own neither a PS3 nor a 360, I have nothing meaningful to add to the discussions thereof, so at best, I've been a rare "spectator" of Sony/Microsoft forums. To TMK's credit, I have yet to see him posting anything (negative or otherwise) within Nintendo boards. While I understand that my ignorance of his character forbids me from making any claims regarding him - he had enough sense to steer away from discussions of at least one console alien to him. I wish I could say the same about everyone else.

The Crotch's proposal for any documentation of the banning procedures is supported on this side of the screen completely. If anything, it might clear some confusion as to what you shouldn't do. A reminder that rules may actually be enforced every once in a while... is a good thing to have.

However, what others should not do if this request is granted, is to abuse this information. I'm all about questioning a moderator's decision if it seems scewed, unfair, or otherwise "unprofessional," and I feel that banning should be treated as "the last resort." However, this notion has an ability to backfire if cliques of immature, like-minded individuals will feel empowered to present "enough evidence" to get their particular "enemy" banned.

Do I feel that this would be a problem? No. Most people aren't here to bullshit about games all day. They are here for the Deals section.

I wish we could get Cheapy to chime in and give us his opinion on this.

If TMK can get banned for fanboyism we are going to lose 70% of the regulars from the HD DVD vs Blu ray thread. The permanent ban just doesn't fell justifiable.

I see your point Rocko, although if he's been warned is a temp ban going to make that much difference?

How long would you temp ban him for?

Maybe I'd feel different if it was me, I don't like he idea of debating everytime someone gets banned though, or moaning if there is no discussion of it.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Mutiny![/quote]Hardly. Just wanting to make sure those in authority are doing things in a proper and orderly way. Expressing dissatisfaction in a leader's deed is not tantamount to revolution.
[quote name='benjamouth']I see your point Rocko, although if he's been warned is a temp ban going to make that much difference?

Maybe I'd feel different if it was me, I don't like he idea of debating everytime someone gets banned though, or moaning if there is no discussion of it.[/quote] The difference with this case is that he had actually been rather sedated for a week or so before it all went down like this, thus the banning seemed to have come out of no where. If it had occurred after a tirade, I'd have had fewer questions about it, but the perma-ban that instant would still seem to be excessive.

Give him a 5 day time out, make clear to him what actions should not be done on the boards, and if he falls into the rut again, THAT'S when the perma boot falls. Thus, there's no need for debate when the mods are following a fair and reasonable template in the case of a long-term member.

[quote name='benjamouth']I see your point Rocko, although if he's been warned is a temp ban going to make that much difference?

Maybe I'd feel different if it was me, I don't like he idea of debating everytime someone gets banned though, or moaning if there is no discussion of it.[/quote]Like I said, no one has cared about the past perm bans because just about all of them have been obviously justified.

This one isn't.
There's tons of fanboys on this site.

My take on the situation: this thread (or it's intended purpose, rather) is a good idea. As it's been said, it can serve as a "what not to do" type of message, as well as let people know where their favorite users have gone to.

As for the topic of TMK -- I feel the perma-ban is premature. In this case, as well as most others, it should start as a temp-ban, and escalate from there as necessary. I won't even start on the absurd notion of banning someone on the basis of 'rampant fanboyism'...

[quote name='The Crotch']Remember, folks, this is Daroga. He doesn't go with that "revolution" stuff. This, dear friends, is a reformation![/quote]I don't have time to write a single thesis, let alone 95 of them!

[quote name='benjamouth']

Maybe I'd feel different if it was me, I don't like he idea of debating everytime someone gets banned though, or moaning if there is no discussion of it.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't happen though because every time before it has been warranted (that I have seen). If so many people, including ones that did not like TMK, feel he should not be banned then something is going on.

He really was an asset to the PS3 community by putting together the PSN gaming nights. I hate to bring this up as an example (because I like the guy), but we had a similar issue with LinkinPrime being demodded for his preferences (which I disagreed with), and it ended with Linkin staying a mod (like he should have). This situation is quite similar, but has ended with a permanent ban of a member.

You aren't, and I apologize for that silly post.

The important thing here is that honestly, TMK should have been given a temp ban.
That sorts most people out.

Ban Rocko, for taking the internet too seriously. Then make a thread about banned users and comment on how he was banned for taking the internet too seriously.

[quote name='dallow']Like I said, no one has cared about the past perm bans because just about all of them have been obviously justified.

This one isn't.
There's tons of fanboys on this site.[/quote]

Well thats subjective, as was my post, and thats my point on the dangers of debating each ban, someone will always think the ban was unjustified, and someone will always disagree.

EDIT - And if we are debating bans I say bring back Gamestop Dave, he did way less than TMK.

[quote name='Theduck']Ban Rocko, for taking the internet too seriously. Then make a thread about banned users and comment on how he was banned for taking the internet too seriously.[/quote]

...Who are you, and why are you singling me out? Are you stalking me? We already have dallow.

You know what.. I PM'd Cheapy asked him to reinstate The Mana Knight, I spoke to him via PS3, he told me who banned him.. I'm at work right now.. so I'll say who it was when I get back. But TMK didn't get a warning, or anything, he just got banned. If they ban TMK, then they might as well ban me... I looked through almost 2-3 months worth of statements, not ONCE, was he disrespecful to anyone. I woudn't fight for anyone, but he's done a log for CAG (PS3 forums area) he was setting up online meetings, pretty much the CAG PS3 online community was pretty much being run by him. So its not like he's a regular user. Cheapy you said you'd look into it, so I'm being patient, but not only does TMK needs to be reinstated, he needs to be made a MOD, in the Sony area. I don't believe he'd abuse his Mod position like the sorry [insert curse words - I will later] mod that banned him in the first place.

[quote name='daphatty']I'm glad you pointed this out.

We will be addressing the issue of "rudeness and negativity on CAG" very soon. If you suspect yourself (anyone reading this post) to have been a part of this problem, do yourself a favor and start being nicer.[/quote]

If this will truly be applied to EVERY CAG then this is a good step forward.

[quote name='neocisco']Again, I don't think anyone is attacking Casey. People just want accountability and the same guidelines applied to all members.[/quote]

Good point neocisco.

I've been saying this for years. I understand that every CAG isn't seen in the same light whether it be to favoritism, friendship, or whatever, but I'm glad this topic appears to be taken more seriously now.

[quote name='TFN']I talked with him a lot on AIM about how he handles things/his life/situation and his answers have always been ''I take pride in what I own, always have, always will''
I'll disagree with you there and say that nobody ever addressed him or was he a regular in the OTT. The guy would just sit there on his mornings reading through past OTTs and gather all of the information against Sony to make a giant wall of quotes w/ some kind of stupid answer to every one of them. You can't say EVERY time, because there were times where he couldn't keep his mouth shut about something and he'd let words fly as loose as most of us do.

A good example being, I mentioned my That Triple freezing on me once.. three days later he quotes my post w/ a response that was somewhere along the lines of ''Better than having a system that fucks up all the time cause their hardware is so shitty, right?'' Of course shit like that is not going to settle well with people, there are other people who take pride in what they own, too.

Trakan says he has warned him before, too.[/QUOTE]

even though that may be annoying.. its not disrespectful, its not deameaning, its edgy. Its not calling you stupid..., retarded, idiot, ridiculous... maybe a little rude, but come on..

oh yeah... Trakan that's the mod that TMK told me banned... Trakan should be stripped as a mod... he didn't warn TMK, he's a liar...

[quote name='The Crotch']Ugh. This guy has me on ignore, so someone quote me just in case his curiousity doesn't get the better of him.We already know who banned him.
From what I've gathered, he did get a few warnings, but none recent. Someone's probably been paying closer attention to this than I.
Now here's where you go off the deep end. If you couldn't find any, you didn't look. Just go back a page or two in this very thread and you'll see one.
Not sure if it's important, but that last sentence makes no sense.
Bwahaha!

Man.[/QUOTE]

I was saying he did a lot [log] for cag (ps3 forums) in terms of setting up things for the PS3 CAG community I went through several pages... you look through his quotes and show us what he said was rude, most people on CAG get so upset if you not going with the crowd.... no one got banned in the Will PSP outsell the DS? Thread I made a long time ago... people was talking all types of crap, but the mods, issued no warnings, no bannings, no nothing. TMK told he himself, he didn't get any warnings, Trakan just tried to make it seem like he gave him warnings...

[quote name='Thomas96']TMK needs to be reinstated, he needs to be made a MOD, in the Sony area. I don't believe he'd abuse his Mod position like the sorry [insert curse words - I will later] mod that banned him in the first place.[/QUOTE]
He would make a decent forum guide for the Sony boards, and as for Casey I have nothing against him, he might be the mod I like the most. However, I do think there is a mod that does abuse his powers, but it definitely isn't Casey.

[quote name='Thomas96']even though that may be annoying.. its not disrespectful, its not deameaning, its edgy. Its not calling you stupid..., retarded, idiot, ridiculous... maybe a little rude, but come on..

oh yeah... Trakan that's the mod that TMK told me banned... Trakan should be stripped as a mod... he didn't warn TMK, he's a liar...[/quote]

You should really learn to read.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I never realized TMK would be the catalyst for such a serious conversation of the CAG community dynamics.[/quote]That should tell us all something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back