The Wii VC Games Thread - (5/21 Donkey Kong Country2, Blazing Lazers, Streets Rage 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='botticus']Eh, could be Konami/Ubi's call, depending on who really calls the shots on 3rd party VC releases. Get everyone to buy TMNT on XBLA this week, get everyone to buy TMNT on VC next week. Won't necessarily work, but I could see that being a decision.[/QUOTE]

TMNT on XBLA was last week, though.

[quote name='Roufuss']TMNT on XBLA was last week, though.[/quote]You and your facts have no place in this discussion, get out.

[quote name='Roufuss']I remember it being fairly long the first time through. Probably a speed run or something.

The game has 6 dungeons IIRC, and lots of secrets and other shit.[/QUOTE]
I think it took me 6 hours to beat, but it's been a while...

I may have to get both Splatterhouse and Beyond Oasis in the near future. Excitebike is tough to justify, as I can just pop in my Animal Crossing (I have about 12 NES games in my house, in arcade-style fashion).

Crap, Beyond Oasis is out. Just when I thought I was going to save a little money today. :p

I'm glad I kept my Animal Crossing GCN so I don't have to get those NES games, though...

[quote name='Strell']You know what, Nintendo?

It would be awesome if you let us save the tracks in Excitebike's edit mode.

It would be earth shattering if you let us exchange them.

I know this will not happen, but my wandr'ng mind still wanders.[/QUOTE]
You want added functionality to distinguish VC titles from their counterparts on other media. That is just too precious.

OMG! I just heard about Splatterhouse!

Now I need to get my WiiConnect working again! I can't remember my wi-fi router's password but for this game, I am willing to change it!

[quote name='dothog']You want added functionality to distinguish VC titles from their counterparts on other media. That is just too precious.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget who you are talking to here, knowing all too well that my own words are unfulfilling poisons even as my lips form them.

I know this will not happen, but my wandr'ng mind still wanders.[/quote]

I agree here, ok exchanging tracks, that is pushing it but it would be fucking awesome. Why can't we save tracks though, I mean sure keep the classic nes game that is fine but if you allowed me to save tracks I will shell out $5 even though I own the e-reader version. I will pass on this.

Although I did buy splatterhouse and beyone oasis today. I had to buy splatterhouse for personal enjoyment but after hearing some CAG's saying how good beyond oasis is I bited. I only played like 5 minutes of Beyond Oasis but right now I am really in love with that game because it takes the streets of rage fighting system and puts it in a zelda like game. Although I probably not get a chance to play it tonight (got a lot of WoW to play tonight, rofl I do plan to get into it soon).

I know this will not happen, but my wandr'ng mind still wanders.[/QUOTE]

What? And have Nintendo actually give their gamers something they want? Silly rabbit.

People pay $5 for Excite Bike?
I guess I was never really a fan of this game.
I still have the cart that I got as a gift many moons ago.

[quote name='dallow']People pay $5 for Excite Bike?
I guess I was never really a fan of this game.
I still have the cart that I got as a gift many moons ago.[/quote]I never was either. I've never been able to figure out if I just didn't like the game or just sucked at it, thus causing my not liking it. Either way, I'm not willing to play more to figure it out ;)

I couldn't see myself buying Excitebike, though I had fun with it on my NES. It was fun, but it really didn't have any lasting playing power. (an all-ramp course gets old eventually :wink: )

I'm downloading Splatterhouse, but with all the positives about Beyond Oasis, it just might be the next game I eventually pick up.

Downloaded Beyond Oasis. It's decent, but I don't think it aged nearly as well as Link to the Past. The graphics and the art style in general are top notch, but it's so slow...

[quote name='Roufuss']Apparently Splatterhouse is the censored version with the red mask.[/quote]

Wow, first they say that the upcoming Punchout will be the shitty Mr. Dream Punchout and not the Tyson Punchout, and then this. Way to go Nintendo!

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Wow, first they say that the upcoming Punchout will be the shitty Mr. Dream Punchout and not the Tyson Punchout, and then this. Way to go Nintendo![/QUOTE]

Nintendo is really worried about all the people being upset about this.

Yes. All 4 of you.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Wow, first they say that the upcoming Punchout will be the shitty Mr. Dream Punchout and not the Tyson Punchout, and then this. Way to go Nintendo![/QUOTE]

You do realize Nintendo probably dosen't have the rights to use Mike Tyson, correct?

And that Mr. Dream is pretty much just a white Mike Tyson? Same moves and everything?

Why pay to have Mike Tyson put into the game when Mr. Dream works just as well.

The Mike Tyson thing I can understand, although Ninty probably could have slipped him $20 to use the name.

Censored SplatterHouse does put me off a bit though.

[quote name='benjamouth']The Mike Tyson thing I can understand, although Ninty probably could have slipped him $20 to use the name.

Censored SplatterHouse does put me off a bit though.[/quote]

This is true.
I'm sure they wouldn't have to try too hard to get Tyson in. Who plays Punchout to fight "Mr Dream". And yeah... the Splatterhouse is the one with the red mask. Not too different, but less gore and slime.

The next thing I know they'll give us "Rampage" without Mike Tyson too.

4dri4nn.jpg

[quote name='Roufuss']Apparently Splatterhouse is the censored version with the red mask.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone else confirm this?

IANAL... would they really have to re-license the celebrity endorsements (ie tyson) to re-release an old game? how might that affect other licensed (movie, etc) games?

Wait, what's this jazz about Splatterhouse being censored?

EDIT* What's the uncensored version supposed to look like?

Geez, for the past quite-a-few years I've had the vague impression that Splatterhouse was a great game, and wish lists on VC forums like this had helped to cement that impression. So, when I downloaded the game today without any further research, I was quite surprised to find out that the game isn't very good.

It's a side-scrolling brawler, but you can't even move along the Z-axis like most brawlers (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc.). Other than jumping and going up ladders, the game's essentially 1-D. I had never played the game before so unfortunately I don't have any nostalgia for it, which would probably have made it more enjoyable.

This all said, buyer beware if you've never played it before. This is the one VC purchase I've made (out of 12 or so) that has me cursing the inability to resell VC downloads.

If people actually go to the wiki they mention that Splatterhouse for the TG-16 was always the "censored" version with the red mask.

It seems the original arcade entry and the Japanese version were the uncensored were the ones with the white mask. Saying that the white mask was removed due to similarities to Jason Voorhes, but then they censored up things like the inverted cross.

I know not all is true in Wiki, but if this is the case, either way we would have gotten the American version of the game.

wow, a good Gen game not yet released on a complilation disc? About time.

As for Splatterhouse, I can't attest to part 1, but I've recently been playing part 3 on my PSP and I think it's not that bad actually. Maybe I'll load up part 1 and see how it fares. Or just wait till fri(pay)day and just buy it.

Hopefully SplatterHouse 3 will get released in the Genesis section eventually, in that one you can move along the Z axis I believe.

I remember it being pretty good but the problem with retro games is it's easy to look back on them through rose-tinted glasses.

Mr. Dream Punchout! hahaha! That name is horrible. Just call it Punchout! WTF? Way to ruin it for me.

[quote name='abilyk']Geez, for the past quite-a-few years I've had the vague impression that Splatterhouse was a great game, and wish lists on VC forums like this had helped to cement that impression. So, when I downloaded the game today without any further research, I was quite surprised to find out that the game isn't very good.

It's a side-scrolling brawler, but you can't even move along the Z-axis like most brawlers (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc.). Other than jumping and going up ladders, the game's essentially 1-D. I had never played the game before so unfortunately I don't have any nostalgia for it, which would probably have made it more enjoyable.

This all said, buyer beware if you've never played it before. This is the one VC purchase I've made (out of 12 or so) that has me cursing the inability to resell VC downloads.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got the exact same impression from the gameplay video.
Looked pretty lame. I'd rather have 3 player Xenophobe.

Probably since I am old my nostalgia is for 80's games instead, LOL...

[quote name='porieux']Yeah, I got the exact same impression from the gameplay video.
Looked pretty lame. I'd rather have 3 player Xenophobe.

Probably since I am old my nostalgia is for 80's games instead, LOL...[/quote]As great as my nostalgia for Xenophobe is... no, we don't want that. I paid $2 for it from EB, and it was too much.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Streets of Rage, anyone?[/QUOTE]

SoR1 is so mediocre. Besides, technically it was released already on DC in Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 (though it was emulated horribly) and Sonic Gems Collection (though that was only the JPN version).

You could've said Gunstar Heroes, as that has yet to see re-release outside Gametap. Also, I could care less what anyone else thinks, GH is one of the greatest games availible on the VC.

[quote name='botticus']As great as my nostalgia for Xenophobe is... no, we don't want that. I paid $2 for it from EB, and it was too much.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree...that tells you what I thought of how Splatterhouse looked though ;)

Maybe it's good that right after I typed up my post saying I was getting Splatterhouse I hesitated. Maybe I'll pass on this week's stuff and hope for a good SNES title next week.

[quote name='Rig']Maybe it's good that right after I typed up my post saying I was getting Splatterhouse I hesitated. Maybe I'll pass on this week's stuff and hope for a good SNES title next week.[/QUOTE]
You bring up a good point -- though unintentionally. ;) That point is, this is really the first time in gaming that we've had "impulse-buy" games. With points in the bank and quick, easy downloads, it's nothing to drop a few bucks on a game that you may forget about quickly. When they're classics, you can justify it by saying you're happy to always have them readily available -- like iTunes songs that end up hidden amongst hundreds of others in perpetual "shuffle." Of course, you may also love the heck out of it and play nonstop for 30 hours. But regardless, it's an impulse buy. You don't need to do much research, comparison shop, or any of that stuff that's normal with buying retail games.

[quote name='ViolentLee']You bring up a good point -- though unintentionally. ;) That point is, this is really the first time in gaming that we've had "impulse-buy" games. With points in the bank and quick, easy downloads, it's nothing to drop a few bucks on a game that you may forget about quickly. When they're classics, you can justify it by saying you're happy to always have them readily available -- like iTunes songs that end up hidden amongst hundreds of others in perpetual "shuffle." Of course, you may also love the heck out of it and play nonstop for 30 hours. But regardless, it's an impulse buy. You don't need to do much research, comparison shop, or any of that stuff that's normal with buying retail games.[/quote]It's true. It's kinda like a perpetual clearance sale (you know, without the low, low prices ;) ), only without the panic that a certain title may disappear in 5 minutes. You have a continual supply of cheap games (compared to retail releases), some of which you know, some you don't. It's kinda like browsing the cheap DVD sections of Target. Sometimes you buy something you know and love for cheap, sometimes you take a chance and buy something you only sorta heard about, and sometimes you buy something you thought you loved but watch at home and it sucks.

I'm unclear why I feel the need to jump on these "Day 1!" I happened to be up and got TMNT on the Live Marketplace within minutes of it going up; I bought SotN this morning before work too. It's not like any of these downloadable titles are going anywhere. Yet the impulse, and the immediate gratification coupled with a chance at nostalgia or playing games you never played before is a powerful marketing tool.

Well half-way to Monday...wonder what we'll be getting!

I know they haven't been announced, but WHERE are the Mario Parties?! =(

We better not be getting anything good, I do not have the time/money to spend on Wii VC games, lol.

I must say beyond oasis rules just on the fact alone you can do the chun li kick in this game. Spalatterhouse is meh at best but it is one of those games you buy just because you take a 2x4 and bash monsters the whole game, good times and it just feels so good.

Was Gunstar Heroes released on a compilation disc? I know they had the GBA version, but that was terrible.

Excitebike on Animal Crossing. Pretty much says it all right there. And I didn't enjoy it that much either.

I know it's not that great, but I was kinda hoping they'd give us Turtles this week.

[quote name='KingBroly']Was Gunstar Heroes released on a compilation disc? I know they had the GBA version, but that was terrible.

Excitebike on Animal Crossing. Pretty much says it all right there. And I didn't enjoy it that much either.

I know it's not that great, but I was kinda hoping they'd give us Turtles this week.[/quote]Nope gunstar heroes is not on any collectionand the GBA version is a sequal so take that as you will.

[quote name='KingBroly']I was kinda hoping they'd give us Turtles this week.[/quote]

Turtles #1 for NES?
Hope For? What are you on crack? lol

Is it too early for guesses this week.
I'm gonna shoot for...

Dr Mario
Hagane
and TMNT

OR....

Hagane
TMNT
Mario Party 64

Total guesses

[quote name='lilboo']Well half-way to Monday...wonder what we'll be getting!

I know they haven't been announced, but WHERE are the Mario Parties?! =([/quote]

I actually don't see them releasing any of those before MP8.

"Hey, should I go buy Mario Party 8"?
"Why? MP3 is on the VC. Let's just buy that...close enough!"
"Okay!"

Granted, I suppose they could try and generate interest for 8 by releasing a previous iteration, but I don't see that working very well.

[quote name='Rig']I actually don't see them releasing any of those before MP8.

"Hey, should I go buy Mario Party 8"?
"Why? MP3 is on the VC. Let's just buy that...close enough!"
"Okay!"

Granted, I suppose they could try and generate interest for 8 by releasing a previous iteration, but I don't see that working very well.[/QUOTE]

Mario Party would be a nice title for Nintendo to do the whole "buy the Wii game, get the VC game free!" jazz they carrot-in-front-of-nose'd us with earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back