The Wrestling Thread is usually a 4 but in a dress it's an 8 SPH Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And with a pedigree, Triple H kills my interest in wrestling. I think I'm done for a while. Watching, anyway. I'll still read reports of events and things like that.

[quote name='Purple Flames']What the fuck did I just watch????[/QUOTE]

That's what I came here to say. That, and I played madden through most of it. Horrible PPV.

You guys shouldn't take credit away from WWE with comparing their bad booking to TNA. They can do bad all by themselves. I'm going to start referring to the angles I don't like in TNA with "that is some WWE shit there".

Hurpa durpa.

:sits back to watch people try to figure out that ending:

In the meantime, I'm wondering if I should tune in to Raw or watch the premiere of Two and a Half Men tomorrow. Chances are people will still be confused at 9:30 either way.

I just.. I can't understand this.

John Cena really has no one to feud with unless ADR wants his rematch for the title.
CM Punk will work 20 minute talk segments for the next few weeks with Triple H and Kevin Nash.
Air Boom has no one to really feud with besides Miz and Truth.

and there's another PPV two weeks from tonight - Hell in a Cell.

Then, there's another PPV in the month of October - Vengeance on Oct 23rd.

[quote name='neocisco']You guys shouldn't take credit away from WWE with comparing their bad booking to TNA. They can do bad all by themselves. I'm going to start referring to the angles I don't like in TNA with "that is some WWE shit there".

Hurpa durpa.[/QUOTE]
Waaaaahhhh.

Stale bread, super Cena becoming champ for the umpteenth time? That's some WWE shit.

Messy, no-one-gives-a-shit angle featuring a match with 50 run-ins? I think the TNA comparison is more than germane.

[quote name='neocisco']You guys shouldn't take credit away from WWE with comparing their bad booking to TNA. They can do bad all by themselves. I'm going to start referring to the angles I don't like in TNA with "that is some WWE shit there".

Hurpa durpa.[/QUOTE]

Except TNA usually has the exclusivity on bad main event matches where a bunch of guys run in and confuse the hell out of the viewer. Hence people comparing tonight's Punk/HHH match to TNA.

[quote name='neocisco']Oh, get over yourselves, it was just some joking around. You don't actually want to argue over definitions of bad, do you?[/QUOTE]

My definition of bad is better/more correct than yours. :p

[quote name='Demolition Man']Thank god ROH returns to TV this week. Oh and congrats to Kyle Chandler for winning an Emmy tonight.[/QUOTE]

Good job putting that here. I'm sure he reads the CAG wrestling thread.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Good job putting that here. I'm sure he reads the CAG wrestling thread.[/QUOTE]

And everyone else we talk about in the thread does?

[quote name='neocisco']Oh, get over yourselves, it was just some joking around. You don't actually want to argue over definitions of bad, do you?[/QUOTE]

Tonight's match would probably be the definition of it if we were too.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Punk got squashed.[/QUOTE]
That ending was absolutely horrible and made no sense, but fucking really? He got squashed? They had a physical match and he took Truth's finisher, a Jacknife, and 3 Pedigrees. I'm in the boat that this was the dumbest ending to a PPV in a long, long time, but squashed? You need to learn the meaning of the word.

meh everything predictable tonight. Just decided to read the recaps instead of wasting my time and watching the PPV. Nothing new here and nothing new ever.

[quote name='integralsmatic']meh everything predictable tonight. Just decided to read the recaps instead of wasting my time and watching the PPV. Nothing new here and nothing new ever.[/QUOTE]
You thought the ending was predictable? It sucked, but it was predictable?

[quote name='Scorch']And everyone else we talk about in the thread does?[/QUOTE]
Samoa Joe does. Or at least he used to...

69hdr.gif

Hi, Colt Cabana Samoa Joe!

Anyways, best moment in the PPV for me was Henry winning dat gold. Saddest moment?
4YgiQ.png

That's right, folks. They're going to build to a fucking HELL IN A CELL match in just two short weeks. This should be good.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']That ending was absolutely horrible and made no sense, but fucking really? He got squashed? They had a physical match and he took Truth's finisher, a Jacknife, and 3 Pedigrees. I'm in the boat that this was the dumbest ending to a PPV in a long, long time, but squashed? You need to learn the meaning of the word.[/QUOTE]

The majority of the match all he took were moves. If you look at the amount of offense Punk got in, it was practically 75/25 HHH. It was a squash. The match should have had a "CM Punk gets his ass kicked" stipulation.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Anyways, best moment in the PPV for me was Henry winning dat gold. Saddest moment?
4YgiQ.png
[/QUOTE]

I know it's part of business and all, but it has to be hard when you go in and have to lose in front of your hometown fans. Especially in a title match. That sucks, even if it is the Divas title.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Waaaaahhhh.

Stale bread, super Cena becoming champ for the umpteenth time? That's some WWE shit.

Messy, no-one-gives-a-shit angle featuring a match with 50 run-ins? I think the TNA comparison is more than germane.[/QUOTE]

Germane, Jackson, Jackson 5, Tito!

[quote name='Regian']I know it's part of business and all, but it has to be hard when you go in and have to lose in front of your hometown fans. Especially in a title match. That sucks, even if it is the Divas title.[/QUOTE]

You can't have the heel getting cheers after a title win. Period. The Glamazon has been built as a monster heel, and it can't come across to casual fans that she is a babyface. This is a very different situation from CM Punk winning the title in Chicago.

Good for Mark Henry. Seriously. He deserves it for taking WWE's shit for 15 years, but he's also doing the best work of his career right now. As a result, it doesn't come off as just a (looking at you, Christian) token gesture, which is a nice thing.

Also, can we take a moment and reflect that it's 2011 and the *only thing* WWE truly did right at a PPV is put the title on Mark Henry? 2001 us would've laughed and laughed.

[quote name='lombarvm']You can't have the heel getting cheers after a title win. Period. The Glamazon has been built as a monster heel, and it can't come across to casual fans that she is a babyface. This is a very different situation from CM Punk winning the title in Chicago.[/QUOTE]

Why can't you? William Regal's done it in the UK.

Anyone feeling like they're going to throw together an Armageddon HiaC match for the PPV? Nash v HHH v Punk v Miz v Truth v ??? for the amusement of ???

I would at least expect a triple threat HiaC between Nash, HHH, and Punk. It's really the only match they could put Nash in that won't make him look absolutely abysmal.

Tag title opener was a good little match, but the finish bugged me. Sure, it made some sense for the main event, but really didn't feel like a satisfying end to it. They built it up with two clean losses for the champions, who then...didn't get their revenge here. What great babyface champions! Ted-Cody was a slight letdown. Ted and Cody had a technically sound match, with Ted hitting some really smooth-looking stuff, as always, but the match just felt like a mid-card SD match and not a PPV-quality one. Cody winning via schoolboy was also anticlimactic. I loved Booker basically burying the IC Title and then Cole talking about how important it is and how far its lineage goes back and all the HoFers that held it - that was hilarious.

fucking Light Strike ad on PPV, and then Christian and Sheamus had an SD opening talking segment on it as well. Christian got a good pop from the crowd - thank God they turned him heel at JUST the right time... and then he got cheap shotted by Sheamus. Well, at least their match at HiaC will probably be really good. It's a shame the fatal 4 way didn't get more build, because Morrison did some crazy stuff in it. The hip toss over the top looked awesome, and the German off the top was decent too, even if he didn't really grab Riley all that well for it. Loved the sleeper hold/ankle lock spot until it led to Swagger being launched across the ring towards the ropes and then throwing himself into the corner...for some reason...to hit Dolph. And then Morrison lost after Dolph stole the pin after the Doctor bomb. Thank God Morrison came back super-early from NECK SURGERY for this, a loss in a last-minute mid-card B-level PPV match. Vickie was awesome backstage with Striker.

Loved Henry FINALLY winning the big one and his post-match promo put it over as THE most important thing in the company. I was really fearing that they'd done so much good with Henry for basically nothing because traditional booking said that he'd lose the title here after getting the better of Orton before the show, but nope - he continued to show that he was better by actually winning the title. This was the right monster push for Henry, and the right time with SD being in a state of transition to take a chance on him as champion, even if it only lasts a couple of weeks. Mark looked so heartbroken after hitting the WSM the first time and getting 2 that when he hit it again and got the 3, it was impossible to not feel good for him. Plus, the whole story of the feud has been him accomplishing a 15 year-long goal. Loved the crowd pop Henry got for the win...sans the one blond chick who just looked shocked and a guy in a Punk shirt who shook his head. Beth-Kelly felt like something special for a women's match because the crowd actually cared about it - they popped huge for Beth, booed Kelly, and cared about everything in the match. This was probably Kelly's best match ever, and Beth was great at playing the heel bully role while also being the hometown favorite. Great dynamic to the match, which unfortunately saw Kelly go over. Given the crowd, Beth really should have won here. Random placement of the DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME deal after this. WWE knocks UFC's shows for using prelims, but then puts this kind of stuff on them - incredible.

WWE Title match just pissed me off. ADR comes out to no car because...Cena stole it. What a babyface. Then, instead of having Cena lose, but still come out okay because he got the better of him before the match, CENA WINS THE fuckING TITLE. Great, so it turns out that Alberto really was just a guy who lucked into the title via the case and didn't really deserve it. Even if he wins it back at HiaC, it's not going to matter - Alberto's really been killed by their booking of him for at least the past week. Didn't get the better of Cena on the Raw before the show, got outsmarted by him before this match, and beaten clean. They've spent pretty much the entire YEAR OF 2011 building up Alberto's quest for a world title, he gets it, and then loses it at Night of Champions, WHERE A TITLE MATCH WASN'T EVEN THE MAIN EVENT. Oh, and Cena became the first 10 time WWE Champion in history. Whatever. I think he's had like 3 reigns in the past two months anyway, so what's it matter? It's about as pointless a statistic as the ones WWE likes to trumpet to make themselves seem like they're a bigger deal than they are. This was so stupid - but did at least lead to a shot of a wacky-looking fan clapping with a giant smile on his face.

The main event was a pretty good match, but was hurt by Cole's voice being shot and neither King or Booker being good enough to carry the broadcast. It hurt the match, but maybe showed WWE that Jim Ross CAN actually be a benefit to a show if he's used well and not just forced to be on the sidelines because of how he looks. I liked that they did some stuff here that hasn't been done in a long time, like actually use the PPV's set as a meaningful prop. For all the bad in the Attitude era, one of the great things was all the set prop usage because it made the PPVs stand out more. Over the Edge '98 had the cars, Armageddon '99 had the tank, and so on. Here, they thankfully avoided using the middle school columns and instead used the mini-tron thingy, which was something new. Loved HHH just flinging Punk's back into the wedged-in chair. Looked awesome and made a great sound. Flying elbow off the top through the table was crazy. WEEEE bit of overbooking for the finish, with Awesome Truth coming out attacking both guys, leading to a 2 count and HHH and Punk uniting to fight them off. Which could have made a nice main event program for the tag titles, but nah, those have to be stuck with the mid-carders instead of being made into something important. Acehole came out after AT wiped out Scott Armstrong, brought a ref out to check on the other ref, which was hilarious. Booker's BIG HOMIE Nash came out, beat up HHH, leading to Punk saving HHH again before getting hit with the powerbomb before he hit HHH with a clothesline.

It's 2011 and WWE's main eventers are falling at the hands of Kevin Nash, who couldn't be booked on the show due to a medical issue. At least he got laid out with the sledgehammer. Bet that almost gets sold for a day. All this stuff at least made some sense given the cast of characters, and helps logically build to a Cell match beyond "it's a show in October and needs Cell matches", but did still have me pining for Jeff Jarrett using a cello to get around the no guitar rule. Oh and HHH won so he could continue to start every Raw with a 20 minute promo. Except tomorrow - that one will either have HHH start with a promo or Cena talk about the CHAMP IS HERE. Two months ago, they had something really special with Punk, and now, he's part of a convoluted main event angle with half a dozen guys and no real focus. But hey, he got ICE CREAM BARS BACK in T-shirt form.

Screens -

Quotes -
Cole - THAT WILL BE GRAMMY AWARD WINNING! I GUARANTEE IT!
Cole - YOU CAN FOLLOW ALL OF TONIGHT’S ACTION ON TWITTER!
Booker - Me being a part of a great tag team - Booker T and Goldust - I know all about tag teaming and tag team champions. AIR BOOM’S GOT THE TICKET, Y’ALL!
Cole - Air Boom seems a little goofy to me.
King - But Awesome Truth is a great name, right?
Cole - Yeah.
Booker - WUT DA HELL!?
Booker - Ted’s gotta BEAT DA BRICKS OFF OF CODY, the title will just be a bonus.
Cole - The Intercontinental Title dates back to 1979! Hall of famers have held the title, like Stone Cold Steve Austin, Don Muraco, and Roddy Piper. You’re not a hall of famer, Book - sure to be, I’m sure.
Booker - PUT IT ON DAT BOY, TED!
Sheamus - I’ve been a world champion here too, and right now, I’d give me uncle Fargas’s lucky green testicle to compete here tonight.
Christian - YOUR WHAT?!
Sheamus - UNCLE FARGAS’S LUCKY GREEN TESTICLE!
Christian - AT LEAST I HAVE THE TESTICLES TO STAND UP LIKE A MAN AND TELL THE ENTIRE WORLD I DESERVE ONE MORE MATCH! (crowd goes ONE MORE MATCH)
Booker - WUT DA HELL!
Cole - BROGUE KICK! That was awfully rude!
Cole - Here’s a man that’s 2 and 0 at NoC - former IC and Tag Team champion.
King - And the only man I know who can occasionally go into slow motion.
Henry - I TOLD YOU IT’S GONNA BE LIKE THIS!
Cole - ORTON’S GETTING COMFORTABLE IN HIS SPACE!
Cole - MARK HENRY IS WORLD CHAMPION. ALL DOUBTERS AND CYNICS BE DAMNED!
Booker - Mark Henry will go down as ONE OF the World Heavyweight champions in WWE!
Josh - Whether you people like it or not - CONGRATULATIONS, MARK HENRY!
Henry - GIMME THE MIC! YOU DIDN’T BELIEVE, DID YA? THAT I WOULD BE HOLDING THE MOST COVETED PRIZE IN PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING, DID YOU!? YOU’RE ALL DOUBTERS! YOU’RE ALL HATERS! I’D LIKE TO WELCOME ALL OF YOU TO HALL OF PAIN! THIS IS MY MOMENT AND I’M NOT SHARING IT WITH NONE OF YA! YOU DON’T DESERVE THIS! I’M GONNA BE THE MOST DOMINANT CHAMPION OF ALL TIME! I’M TAKING ON ALL COMERS! I AIN’T RUNNING FROM NOBODY AND I’M NEVER, EVER LOSING THIS TITLE!
Crowd - KELLY SUCKS! KELLY SUCKS!
Crowd - LET’S GO PHOENIX1 LET’S GO PHOENIX!
Booker - KELLY CAME DOWN RIGHT ON THAT COXIX!
(after the flying elbow off the top through the table)King - THAT WAS SAVAGE RIGHT THERE!
King - WHAT ARE WE WITNESSING HERE!?
King - IT’S FREAKIN KEVIN NASH AGAIN!
Booker - THAT’S MY BIG HOMIE!

[quote name='007']Good for Mark Henry. Seriously. He deserves it...[/QUOTE]

bingo.

Let's not be mad about things that we expected:
- Triple H v Punk ends w/ a Triple H win, a bajillion run-ins, and the storyline centering on a power struggle which seems to point in the direction of Johnny Ace bringing in some new nwo-like entity to wrest control of the company from Triple H, since (we're told) Triple H is going in a different direction from Vince McMahon, who Ace worked under.

At least, that's what I think the WWE writers believe they're profoundly trying to tell us. It's not profound, but piecemeal it's the most logical thing I can get out of this "might as well be TNA vs SEX" storyline.

- John Cena winning a title. Big deal. That's what he does. It isn't smart business sense, but let's not pretend that you didn't see that one coming.

Instead, let's be happy that Mark Henry might get to really run as a monster heel. Then again, dude might get straight up Christian'd at the Smackdown taping.

[quote name='mykevermin']At least, that's what I think the WWE writers believe they're profoundly trying to tell us. It's not profound, but piecemeal it's the most logical thing I can get out of this "might as well be TNA vs SEX" storyline.[/QUOTE]

But "TNA vs SEX" gave us some "awesome" Glenn Gilbertti and Sonny Siaki promos. :lol:

[quote name='Ansé Solis']The majority of the match all he took were moves. If you look at the amount of offense Punk got in, it was practically 75/25 HHH. It was a squash. The match should have had a "CM Punk gets his ass kicked" stipulation.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't really 75/25. They went into the crowd with HHH on top and left the crowd with Punk on top. HHH catapulted Punk into the stage, Punk jumped off the stage onto HHH. Punk also got to hit that amazing flying elbow. It wasn't a squash at all.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']It wasn't really 75/25. They went into the crowd with HHH on top and left the crowd with Punk on top. HHH catapulted Punk into the stage, Punk jumped off the stage onto HHH. Punk also got to hit that amazing flying elbow. It wasn't a squash at all.[/QUOTE]

Mind counting all the offense HHH got in?

[quote name='JJSP']It took 3 Pedigrees, a Jackknife, and a Miz/Truth run-in to beat Punk. Nowhere near a squash.[/QUOTE]

My perspective is that the majority of the match consisted of Punk getting his ass handed to him.

What you're talking about is his resilience.

What I'm talking about is how much actual offense he got in. They should have just called him Mikey Whipwreck.

Say what you will, but in my opinion, it was a squash. If you feel that he didn't spend the majority of the match being beaten down by HHH, then that's the match you saw.

Severely surprised that the elbow through the table didn't get a holy shit chant. Loved the little giggle from Punk before he made the jump. His character may have been shat on since the brilliance of a couple months ago, but he's still proving that he's the best while getting shafted by creative.

Not for one second can I believe that KK beat BP. That's just, dumb. Although that was probably the best Divas match since Lita left, lots of cool looking moves and the superplex was made to look like it was some huge thing.

I didn't get to see Cena vs. ADR because of dogs going insane, but it sounds like I didin't miss much.

[quote name='lombarvm']You can't have the heel getting cheers after a title win. Period. The Glamazon has been built as a monster heel, and it can't come across to casual fans that she is a babyface. This is a very different situation from CM Punk winning the title in Chicago.[/QUOTE]They've tried to book Beth as a monster heel. Instead, she's lost to Kelly Kelly twice. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped this angle soon, since it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

[quote name='007']Good for Mark Henry. Seriously. He deserves it for taking WWE's shit for 15 years, but he's also doing the best work of his career right now. As a result, it doesn't come off as just a (looking at you, Christian) token gesture, which is a nice thing.

Also, can we take a moment and reflect that it's 2011 and the *only thing* WWE truly did right at a PPV is put the title on Mark Henry? 2001 us would've laughed and laughed.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. Even though there's a thought in the back of my mind that says he's going to lose the belt in two weeks at WWE Hell in a Cell™, I'm keeping hope alive andpredict he'll have a run with it at least as long as Kane did recently, but with less "omg I killed my dad" bullshit.

I'm guessing Christian/Henry/Sheamus/Orton in the SD title match for the PPV. Only way I can see Henry getting to keep the belt past that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back