Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone else browses the ShopGoodwill.com site at all, but if anyone does, check out the shipping prices for the Tacoma(WA) Goodwill.

They ship stuff 'Priority Mail' and the friggin' shipping charges are like $40 for EACH auction after they get done with fees and supposed shipping costs.

That's not even mentioning that their starting price on their auctions are usually high to begin with on gaming stuff. Most PS2's start out at $20(untested)and more 'classic' systems may run $10 to start.

What a fuckin' joke. Yet people still bid on these lots. Like Barnum said about suckers born every minute, this certainly applies if they pay those exorbitant auction and shipping prices.

I picked up a pretty great-looking PSX tonight for $6. They tried to stick me for $3 for the controller which was pretty lame, but easily the coolest thing I've ever picked up from a thrift store was Steve Martin's Wild and Crazy Guy on vinyl for ninety cents. It's in brilliant condition, and I know it's not worth a whole lot but it was completely worth the dollar just for the picture on the inside:

steve%20martin%20king%20tut.jpg

[quote name='Survivalism']I picked up a pretty great-looking PSX tonight for $6. They tried to stick me for $3 for the controller which was pretty lame, but easily the coolest thing I've ever picked up from a thrift store was Steve Martin's Wild and Crazy Guy on vinyl for ninety cents. It's in brilliant condition, and I know it's not worth a whole lot but it was completely worth the dollar just for the picture on the inside:

steve%20martin%20king%20tut.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean a PS1 and not a PSX, which was a combination PS1/PS2/DVR, since I don't think the PSX was ever released outside of Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX

Picked up a Genesis (still in original box) in very good condition with all the cables/ controller as well as Sonic 2 for 10$. Not sure how great a deal but I'm stoked regardless.

The feather in my cap was grabbing Road Rash for 2.50 yesterday (along with a Parliament record for .50)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I assume you mean a PS1 and not a PSX, which was a combination PS1/PS2/DVR, since I don't think the PSX was ever released outside of Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right to assume that. Which you simply could have done without being ridiculously petty in pointing it out, since everyone knows what I meant.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I assume you mean a PS1 and not a PSX, which was a combination PS1/PS2/DVR, since I don't think the PSX was ever released outside of Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you're the only one who has ever made that leap.

[quote name='Survivalism']Yeah, you're right to assume that. Which you simply could have done without being ridiculously petty in pointing it out, since everyone knows what I meant.[/QUOTE]

Didn't mean to come off as 'petty', but I just usually call it a PS1. But from the way you made it sound, I thought maybe you found one of the development PS1 systems, which are typically blue I believe.

You still got a way better deal than I ever would at my local SA/GW stores, since anything gaming related is usually pretty jacked up in price($20 for older gen stuff, $4-5 per game on ANY system most times).

Latest pick up
-Super mario world and Super mario all star SNES(one cart) - 5.99
-Final Fantasy II SNES - 5.99
-Super mario kart SNES - 5.99
-Turtles IV turtles in time SNES - 5.99
-Zelda link to the past SNES - 5.99
-The lengend of Zelda collectors edition promotional disc GAMECUBE - 7.99
-Jordan XI bred - 9.99

[quote name='TiKi2']Goodwill non profit my ass. Those people over price everything . As-is 20 TV from the 80's for $25.[/QUOTE]

LOL You haven't been on the ShopGoodwill site, have you? The Tacoma(WA) Goodwills want $20-50 for shipping gaming shit 'Priority Mail' from the post office.

But the one local Salvation Army has a floor model 25-27" SDtv for $125 with one of their big old 'as-is' stickers on it. If I'm paying that much for a tv, you better give me some sort of cable wire to hook it into to test the video on it and let me test it for 30-45 minutes before I decide IF I wanna buy it.

I got lucky and I got a 19" SDtv from them a while back(over 2 years ago)for $30-40 and aside from a little color bleeding at times(red streaking across the screen)it worked just fine.

ok i hit the big one today i think

first off they had a sega dreamcast system but wanted 70 for it. inside was Marvel v. Capcom 2 (which was not included in the 5 for 69.99 bundle stickers) girl says hang on asked the manager and sold me the disc for 1.99.

then another guy that knows me said hey theres a bunch of nes games in the back like contra, do you want me to see when they are coming out? he goes and gets them and priced the games 5 for 1.99!!
so i got everything w/manual and black sleeve unless noted:
Clu Clu Land
Contra
Dig Dug II
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Duck Hunt
Excitebike
Golf
Gradius
Gyromite
Hogans Alley
Jaws
Legend of Zelda (no manual)
Mach Rider
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Pinball
Popeye
Q*bert (no Manual)
Rambo
Robocop 2
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Off Road
Tiger Heli
Top Gun
also had three drawers? from something that they were all in
total = 9.95

On the way out a guy runs up to me and asked what i got, and said he had some games he didn't want if i wanted them.
so of course i said sure, and while they do look like they sat in the back of his truck for ages.
Mostly sports games (although it included final fantasy X) but they are all complete and of course free :D
nhl 2k7
nhl 07
world series of poker
manhunt
gran turismo 3
nhl 2k6
madden 2005
madden 08
syphon filter the omega strain
nhl 2k8
smackdown vs. raw 2008
all-star baseball 2005
major league baseball 2k6

9.95 for all those, i would agree that you hit the big one, nice job. gradius was one of my favorite games i played the shit out of that one

[quote name='orcafan8']ok i hit the big one today i think

first off they had a sega dreamcast system but wanted 70 for it. inside was Marvel v. Capcom 2 (which was not included in the 5 for 69.99 bundle stickers) girl says hang on asked the manager and sold me the disc for 1.99.

then another guy that knows me said hey theres a bunch of nes games in the back like contra, do you want me to see when they are coming out? he goes and gets them and priced the games 5 for 1.99!!
so i got everything w/manual and black sleeve unless noted:
Clu Clu Land
Contra
Dig Dug II
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Duck Hunt
Excitebike
Golf
Gradius
Gyromite
Hogans Alley
Jaws
Legend of Zelda (no manual)
Mach Rider
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Pinball
Popeye
Q*bert (no Manual)
Rambo
Robocop 2
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Off Road
Tiger Heli
Top Gun
also had three drawers? from something that they were all in
total = 9.95

On the way out a guy runs up to me and asked what i got, and said he had some games he didn't want if i wanted them.
so of course i said sure, and while they do look like they sat in the back of his truck for ages.
Mostly sports games (although it included final fantasy X) but they are all complete and of course free :D
nhl 2k7
nhl 07
world series of poker
manhunt
gran turismo 3
nhl 2k6
madden 2005
madden 08
syphon filter the omega strain
nhl 2k8
smackdown vs. raw 2008
all-star baseball 2005
major league baseball 2k6
[/QUOTE]

Local thrift store or a Goodwill or what? Cuz those kind of prices at either GW or SA around here and I'd be drooling and picking up everything, even if I didn't have the systems for them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Local thrift store or a Goodwill or what? Cuz those kind of prices at either GW or SA around here and I'd be drooling and picking up everything, even if I didn't have the systems for them.[/QUOTE]

oh local gw, it was not their usual prices though, i think it must have been a typo usually nes games are 1.99 each

Picked up Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Dead or Alive 2, both for DC for $1 each at my local GW today...

[quote name='n8r0n']Picked up Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Dead or Alive 2, both for DC for $1 each at my local GW today...[/QUOTE]

Nice pickups for $2 bucks!

[quote name='TiKi2']Goodwill non profit my ass. Those people over price everything . As-is 20 TV from the 80's for $25.[/QUOTE]

go learn what a non-profit is, then come back.

[quote name='yourlefthand']go learn what a non-profit is, then come back.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TiKi2']Really, I don't give a shit.[/QUOTE]

Fail.

They have to be, since a wood grain Atari 2600 is going for $156 on there right now. Mind you it's with the original box and all, but I didn't think that would make it that valuable.

$9.71 for two gold n64 controllers and a see through purple one that had a memory pak in it. past on the other 2 controllers since they had 2 n64s there. fpr some reason they had the $20 n64 sitting there with the same price even though the one with an expansion pak for $10. they also had a system only xbox for $10 which I almost got but id only get as far as turning it on, no controllers

I saw a 52" Phillips LCD that clearly came from Target (it was the clearance model and still in the sealed box). Seemed kind of funny to see a $999 item at Goodwill.

i went to a St. Vincent de paul store today, green tagged items were 50% off, here's what i got

-dreamcast console $5 (no cables) i tested on my cables and it works
-dreamcast controller $2.50

i mainly bought it because it had the ethernet add-on and i didnt have one for my dreamcast.

[quote name='salty tbone']I saw a 52" Phillips LCD that clearly came from Target (it was the clearance model and still in the sealed box). Seemed kind of funny to see a $999 item at Goodwill.[/QUOTE]

:shock: I'm surprised one of the employees didn't keep it in the back and mark it $20 for themselves. That's why I could never work at a thrift store cuz anything good/gaming related would be mine automatically and never make it on the floor.:lol::evil:

so i went today and was told by one of the more special employees at my local goodwill what a pain it was opening all of these game packages yesterday to put them in the books. instead of keeping them behind the counter sealed they put opened and then put out the cases for several 360 games. I was told most of them had sold by the time i was in there at 6pm but looked anyways.
I got:
Bioshock limited edition (clearly brand new just missing package), made a comment about the figurine and was told oh yeah there was a weird doll around here somewhere, but alas i could not find it.
also got modern warfare 2 box, the game was "missing" from their behind the counter file system.

All the 360 games were marked 9.99. I saw the guy in front of me grab GH Van Halen, and he wanted the MW2, but when they couldn't find it they were just going to throw the box out so i got it.

I got a Nyko Rock Band/GH foot pedal that looks brand new for $5.

Went back to the same goodwill today for the 50% off sale and picked up a bunch of manga for $1 a piece: Get Backers, Psychic Academy, and Yu Yu Hakusho mainly.

k so same time as the 360 stuff above i was told about a ps2 and some super nintendo games coming out yesterday morning. ended up waiting about 2 hours lol for the stuff to be priced but anyways i got:

SNES mini w/ a/v cable (no a/c) and two controllers - 9.99 (and i looked around online does look legit)
PS2 w/ 2 logitech wireless controllers - 29.99 (also threw in the below for free)
ps1 1st party memory card - free
ps2 gh kramer dongle - free
ps2 gh dongle (not sure for what just says GH wireless guitar for PS2) - free

Games:
snes
Top Gear - 1.99
Super Off Road - 1.99
ps1 - all 2.99 each and CIB unless noted
Resident Evil 2
Syphon Filter 3 (why is this in a big case for only 1 disc?)
Medal of Honor GH
Dune 2000
World is not Enough (007)
Tenchu
Battle Stations
Medal Gear Solid (missing manual)
Dino Crisis 2
Medal of Honor Underground
Command and Conguer

while waiting i found:
Weird War Tales #3 DC Vertigo Comics 1997 - 0.49

[quote name='wheels']i went to a St. Vincent de paul store today, green tagged items were 50% off, here's what i got

-dreamcast console $5 (no cables) i tested on my cables and it works
-dreamcast controller $2.50

i mainly bought it because it had the ethernet add-on and i didnt have one for my dreamcast.[/QUOTE]

Hold on. You mean it had the add-on Dreamcast Broadband Adapter with it? If so, that's a HUGE score.

I was wondering if a lot of Goodwill items are from people who were sent to jail and their homes/apartments were cleaned out, or is it strictly from people's donations?

Goodwill stores in my area are typically pretty dry, but I actually found something the last time I stopped in. They had a black gamecube with wavebird for $7, though the cables were bundled separately along with 3 1st party controllers for $7. Not an earth-shattering deal but a gamecube with 4 controllers (one being a wavebird and everything working perfectly) for $14 made the trip worthwhile.

[quote name='jwlowry']Goodwill stores in my area are typically pretty dry, but I actually found something the last time I stopped in. They had a black gamecube with wavebird for $7, though the cables were bundled separately along with 3 1st party controllers for $7. Not an earth-shattering deal but a gamecube with 4 controllers (one being a wavebird and everything working perfectly) for $14 made the trip worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

thats pretty good, i know mine used to be terrible, but it seems the more i frequent the more i get, it could also be bc i built up a rapport there, or maybe the corporate sees that they move stuff faster, idk? but i've never seen a gc at mine

[quote name='Tardcore']I was wondering if a lot of Goodwill items are from people who were sent to jail and their homes/apartments were cleaned out, or is it strictly from people's donations?[/QUOTE]

I can honestly say I've never heard that before. It's strictly donation, but, I suppose someone could clean out a prisoner's apartment and donate it. The police auction off seized goods directly.

Which is kind of a lot like theft if you think about it.

Not exactly a thrift store find (more like a used CD store that carries gaming stuff, but pretty much the same) but I aquired Nights: Into Dreams for the Saturn, boxed and with the controller, for $3.

Had to brag.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Not exactly a thrift store find (more like a used CD store that carries gaming stuff, but pretty much the same) but I aquired Nights: Into Dreams for the Saturn, boxed and with the controller, for $3.

Had to brag.[/QUOTE]
Graywhale?

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it might create more competition in my area.

Regardless, I have the manager on speed dial now -- turns out my wife goes to school with him. This could either be a blessing.. or a curse.

[quote name='jaysapathy']I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it might create more competition in my area.

Regardless, I have the manager on speed dial now -- turns out my wife goes to school with him. This could either be a blessing.. or a curse.[/QUOTE]
You're in Provo, right? I'm not much competition, since I'm in Bountiful and I'm not really into collecting games much anymore. I'd be way more interested in the vinyl selection at your Graywhale. :lol:

[quote name='Tardcore']I was wondering if a lot of Goodwill items are from people who were sent to jail and their homes/apartments were cleaned out, or is it strictly from people's donations?[/QUOTE]

The former is unknown to me, but I know that I used to donate a number of game-related items to Goodwill just because the return was so low (on Amazon) I didn't want to bother with them anymore.

Without further hesitation, prepare yourself for Indigo's List of Regret

Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition
Lords of Magic
Final Fantasy 1
Legend of Zelda 1 and 2
Blaster Master
Gauntlet
RPG Maker (Mint) - Didn't sell in 60 days
Useless DOS games, games I hated, etc.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']You're in Provo, right? I'm not much competition, since I'm in Bountiful and I'm not really into collecting games much anymore. I'd be way more interested in the vinyl selection at your Graywhale. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Then yes, it was Graywhale. I picked up Phantom 2040, Nights, Virtua Cop 2, Bart's Nightmare, Legend Of Dragoon (black label), Doom (Saturn), and a few other things for $14. Overall, I was pleased with my haul. Nights was definately the best, with Doom a close second.

I've recently picked up a genesis game from goodwill for $2.00.
The game is Sonic the Hedgehog /w box, and the box has 'Sega Classics' on it (my assumption is that this is the greatest hits version for genesis). It did include a manual...but it was for genesis Gargoyles (use to love that show). It also had this blue poster pamphlet thingy with genesis batman on it.
Sorry for not taking pics...i need to get a new camera TT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back